Thread: Paint-By-RP

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Medieval Fantasy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hello Paint-By-RP

So I got to thinking recently: someone once described steampunk to me as a paintbrush you can spread over an idea; basically, you can apply it to a lot of different ideas as opposed to just writing or RPing a Victorian-era alternate-history world run by steam-powered machines. But if you think about it, something similar can be said about several worlds that have been created in fantasy; to name a couple off the top of my head, Tolkien's Middle Earth and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter fame.

Seriously, you could run almost any kind of story and adapt it into one of those two worlds in some fashion. Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, or Sherlock Holmes? Hell, even Supernatural? Riddikulusly easy. Doctor Who? Certainly plausible in the Wizarding World. Superheroes? Well, that's harder, but not impossible; after all, look at themes in comics such as the Savage Lands. You could probably come up with something.

Pokemon is another world like that.

Obviously, as implied above, some themes would be much harder to adapt but probably not impossible. But I'm curious: what are some other worlds or themes like those above that you could do this with?
    “Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory...if we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Intro | 1x1 Recruitment | Ask me stuff!
    Ad Memoriam OOC
    Galactic Empires II | GEII OOC | GEII Lore

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The art styles of each and the camerawork can really help define the parameters of the paintbrush, in my opinion. To that end a fun addition to the "brushes" you've mentioned would be Tim Burton (Nightmare Before Christmas animation on through to his live adaptation of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children all share certain qualities).

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture