Thread: Space Cowboys Recruitment

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I enjoy the Wild West, anything mythological, Vikings, and comedic stories are always enjoyed.
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Default Space Cowboys Recruitment

I've recently been struck by an idea that I liked. I like space. I like cowboys. Why not combine the two? My idea is that while humanity had been expanding across the solar system, 91% of all humans mysteriously disappeared from reality. Naturally, this plunged humanity into the apocalypse. Technology and general quality of life would have degraded pretty far, rendering all space colonies unreachable and alone. The characters would have been living on Mars when the apocalypse hit. The apocalypse-causing event would have been about 6 or 7 decades ago, so local Martians would have time to bounce back into their prime form: the cowboy. Are y'all interested in this?

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

So was Mars terraformed to the point it can support life? Are there farms and prairies on Mars? Especially water? Asteroidal ice that was taken from elsewhere and landed in various locations so they could act like glaciers, melting a little at a time and giving rise to rivers, perhaps a few seas? (Perhaps melting reservoirs that can then be pumped to serve the water needs?)

Bits of wreckage scattered about from when ships plummeted out of control after their crews and passengers disappeared?

Do these cowboys ride horses, drive cattle to meet steam trains running on rails laid down decades ago for other transport, and practice their own brand of justice from the gun on their hips?

Are there robotic horses?
    Spoiler: いいいいいいいい √Ăłł Єѵł いいいいいいいい 

I enjoy the Wild West, anything mythological, Vikings, and comedic stories are always enjoyed.
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

All great questions. Mars was terraformed to support life. The human colonists decided that making Mars breathable was easier than making giant shelters everywhere. Gravity is still lower, however. There are extensive prairies, grasslands, deserts, and chaparrals. Human settlers have started farms and ranches. Liquid water is present on this version of Mars. There are some seas and lakes, but in some areas there are marshes. There are large rivers, including a Mississippi-esque river renamed Snakewater by the survivors. Wrecks are semi-rare, but present. Most animals on Mars are Mars-adapted versions of the creatures from the Old West. There is a type of horse, and a few variations on cattle, along with Martian coyotes, vultures, rattlesnakes, deer, and in the mountains, grizzlies. There are old steam trains, though they have a few sci-fi upgrades. Most towns have sherriffs that keep the peace, but yes, there are outlaws that have their own form of law called a big iron. As for robotic horses, not really. There are old androids or humanoid robots, and some of the settlers, particularly the older ones, will have some robotic limbs or eyes or such, but no robotic horses.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

@SaltyIrishman; No robotic horses, pity. Why are there Martian adapted vultures, coyotes, snakes, and grizzlies?

Growing up in Martian gravity will mean people are generally taller and weaker than their Terran cousins.

Since there's some scifi improvements, what sort of vehicles do the Martians use? Are they motorized? Do they use the same sort of hydrogen generators I proposed in the Space Orcs game, making them electric motorcycles or hovercycles?

Are they in communication with Earth?
    Last edited by Enigma; 10-10-2019 at 02:55 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

The Martian animals are there for the ecosystems. When Earth was terraforming Mars, scientists sythesized animals so that Mars would remain stable. They fabricated ecosystems to sustain the prairies and deserts. The Martians use animals for transport, or trains. The trains use a form of quick-fabricating coal-like substance, that occurs naturally in Martian soil. The substance only appeared after Mars was terraformed. The Martians are not in communication with Earth.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Okay, so the colony has regressed to where they're about 1850's tech? Railroads, telegraph, false teeth, etc. Some surviving tech?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

That is correct, yes. In some towns, there are a few robots present, but they aren't super prevalent, and generally tend to be ranch hands or the piano player at the saloon.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

What would be funny is if some of those robots were from a Wild West theme park that closed.

https://www.cassiopeiaquinn.com/comic...-tomorrow-pt-1

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

That is delightful and exactly in line with my idea. I imagine the androids being woken up after seventy years in storage and when they boot up it goes something like this:
    Power on...
    MissionCheck...
    Negative...
    New Directives booting up...
    Run Cowboy.zip Y/N?
    Y...
    YeehawMode Engaged...