Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: [OOC] Stargate: Atlantis

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The Ancient Technology Activation (ATA) gene.
    Outside of maybe explaining further why someone might overlook her less that qualified record for the expedition and bring her along, is there really any good reason for my character to have the gene?? (before I decide if she does)

*As of yet, humanity has not encountered the long-range communication stones. This was just a note for lore reasons.
    Not sure how big these stones are...? But if small enough, could one of the stolen tech object Charity has be one of these?? (Up to you but thought i'd mention it as a possible plot idea …. )
    The world belongs to the half crazy, the totally sane spend too much time worrying about it, and the insane get locked-up.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dnafein View Post
    If I recall correctly, those few instances in which a member of any Stargate group effected by any near ascension ability all end the same way. Ascension, losing the abilities, or death; Will this also be implemented?

And yes there are telepathic beings in Stargate. The Ancients, The Ori and the Wraith. There were a few humans who either had to lose those abilities, ascend or die. The sole exception to my knowledge of a human having telepathic abilities is Telya; Who only has the ability because of her Wraith dna, and as far as I can recall it only effects Wraith.

So between the mind reading and the "future abilities" should I take this to mean we'll have an ascended joining the expedition?
    As I said, death is in the cards with the plotline that Highlander wants their character to go through. Retaining a level of telepathy after the plotline ends is also in the cards, depending on how well they do. Having permanent Ascended beings in the party is not in the cards for the moment, which means that though Ascension is possible, both in the aforementioned plotline and in others, it means game over for that character. Per "Sanctuary", the Ancients seem to still prohibit extensive interference in the mortal plane, even in the Pegasus Galaxy. Besides which, if there is an Ascended being in the game it could spoil the game for everyone. Plots with Ascended beings may be possible in the future, but much more as a New Game+ kind of thing. We will stick to more mortal matters for the time being.

I did consider the Wraith question, yes, but this was closer to what Highlander wanted. Wraithkiin (see what I did there?) would require exceptional RP ability as well as extensive SG:A knowledge and while I wouldn't put that past anyone, it is a great burden to bear. That and it has a pretty limited application that isn't usable with other humans, which is what Highlander was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenbraid View Post
    Outside of maybe explaining further why someone might overlook her less that qualified record for the expedition and bring her along, is there really any good reason for my character to have the gene?? (before I decide if she does)

Not sure how big these stones are...? But if small enough, could one of the stolen tech object Charity has be one of these?? (Up to you but thought i'd mention it as a possible plot idea …. )
    There isn't a particular need for a reason to have it since it can occur within anyone whose ancestor was an Ancient. Practical application is all whether you want your character in the position of being able to use the higher-end Ancient technology. Having or not having it can both lead to good RP opportunities.

The long-range communication stones can fit in the palm of a human hand. I can definitely see why someone might want it on Atlantis. At this point they aren't officially known about as far as Stargate Command is aware, but I can see a group like the NID or the Trust having a pair handy if they were extremely lucky. Keep in mind that it is functionally a radio: someone has to have the matching stone to communicate. And yes, it can communicate across galaxies.
    Spoiler: Around the Forum 

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

There isn't a particular need for a reason to have it since it can occur within anyone whose ancestor was an Ancient. Practical application is all whether you want your character in the position of being able to use the higher-end Ancient technology. Having or not having it can both lead to good RP opportunities.

The long-range communication stones can fit in the palm of a human hand. I can definitely see why someone might want it on Atlantis. At this point they aren't officially known about as far as Stargate Command is aware, but I can see a group like the NID or the Trust having a pair handy if they were extremely lucky. Keep in mind that it is functionally a radio: someone has to have the matching stone to communicate. And yes, it can communicate across galaxies.

Okay, as a fav quote goes, 'I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it', lol. Actually I like the idea of her having it and setting things off but not really understand or having the training so fun mishaps can happen.. (could see her doing something like the drone incident from the first episode.) Fun the idea that she can activate the stuff so easy like Sheppard but not have the perfect train to make it work smoothly lol

Sounds interesting, so maybe one of those stones are in the box (though she obviously wore gloves or she'd of activated it while stealing it, lol) and i'm thinking maybe that cool invisibility item from the episode you had me watch would be fun too.... maybe
    The world belongs to the half crazy, the totally sane spend too much time worrying about it, and the insane get locked-up.

The Invisible One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Superhero; Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenbraid View Post
    Fun the idea that she can activate the stuff so easy like Sheppard but not have the perfect train to make it work smoothly lol
    The thing about Sheppard is he can run things smoothly. Using ancient tech comes naturally to him. He just doesn't have the information of what anything does unless he tests it first, or someone(Rodney :p ) explains it to him

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

In case anyone is wondering, we are hoping for a full round of posts from everyone before I move on, though either way I will get a continuation up tomorrow.

@Goldenbraid
    Ok. I'll make note that your character has the ATA gene.

Infrared is right about how the gene works. It doesn't give you instant knowledge of how something works; it just gives you the ability to make it work. Even the best of the Atlantis Expedition did not have an entirely smooth run of it to begin with.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Okay, cool..... still will be fun her able to activate this stuff but not know how it works.... lol

Dark Lord of the Gif
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

On this page the last paragraph before the uses section has a canon suggestion as to the various strengths.
    Spoiler: Cuteness 

Wanna laugh at a drunken fool? Click Here!
    Watch me Stream or catch old streams here

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

First encounter is up! Time to get creative people!

@Dnafein
    Thanks for the link.

@Goldenbraid
    Yeah, everyone starts at the bottom. How fast people progress will *generally* be something I leave up to them so long as it is reasonable. A first run out in the Puddle Jumpers might be rough, but repeated practice will make it easier. Keep in mind that some people may hit ceilings that have nothing to do with the ATA gene, like if they have a fear of heights or enclosed spaces or difficulty wrapping their heads around going as fast as a Jumper can (it happens with people who drive cars, so why not space shuttles?). You can play around with that. Other things like, say, flying Atlantis, may be difficult even for people who have done it before.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, action
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Ok
    I have a few things.

1. Still waiting on other people to post.

2. Started watching the Pilot episode for SG-1, and it was just fine until it got to the first NOOD PART during the selection scene!
    So could I get some info on what episodes to avoid if I don't want a bunch of nood junk?
    If not, then I dang hope it was just that episode.
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.
    The motto give: fortiorum fortia facta (made stronger and braver)

I say, let us all be fortiorum fortia facta.

Spoiler: I'm an Ajin! 

Spoiler: extra 

The Invisible One
    Superhero; Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Sniper View Post
    Ok
    I have a few things.

1. Still waiting on other people to post.

2. Started watching the Pilot episode for SG-1, and it was just fine until it got to the first NOOD PART during the selection scene!
    So could I get some info on what episodes to avoid if I don't want a bunch of nood junk?
    If not, then I dang hope it was just that episode.
    The Pilot is the only episode with nudity. Unless you count a couple of aliens, but they don't have anything to show off. :P

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast