Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Marionette- 1x1 W/ Ashen

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    fantasy human/humanoid. I don't do animal rp's.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mags' harsh tone didn't receive much of a reaction out of her. Rather, she silently let the girl rant with a stone-cold expression, an almost hollow look in her gaze. " Your not wrong. I am pitiful. I'm stuck living in a manor of barbaric vampires, given to them by my parents. Furthermore, they are the sole reason I am alive- though I question if an early demise would have been better than this Hell." Her words were portrayed in a mix of ways- resentment and bitterness along with regret. " Those details are insignificant, however. You asked what's my life worth dying for? That's quite the question. Really I can give you no good answer... but I guess the best answer I can give is something that would at least help right some of my wrongs. " In the middle of her last sentence a bit of emotion returned to her eyes- the sadness and fear that had been there before.

" But based on your reaction to my earlier statements, I believe it's safe to assume you have seen numerous horrific events, especially if you are one of those 'Hunters' as I believe you are. I must admit though, I feel then we have both seen horrific things; just in drastically different ways." The female took in a deep breath before she began speaking. ''First things first- I'm not sure what you mean by 'a human like' me, but...I am much more unusual, as you may have seen last night. I am their trap-door spider, their wolf-in-sheep's-clothing, if you will. I suppose you could say this all began- at least I was told this was what happened, as my memories of my arrival to the manor are fragmented- when I was a wee little thing. It was after some...issues had arose that I was taken to the doctor's. There they ran many tests, and eventually I was diagnosed with a lethal disease that was swiftly deteriorating my health. My parents tried everything to find a cure, but their efforts were met with futility. Until, that is, they heard the rumor that the Nightingales were a family of vampires. Therefore they decided to give finding a cure one last shot, hoping that the rumors were true and, if so, the vampires would be able to keep their child alive. Well, the vampires had a cure, but it came at a price. They could keep me alive my a daily dose of their blood- but in exchange my parents had to leave me behind, and I was to be a part of their clan. "

Ophelia let the information settle in before continuing. "It didn't it seem so bad at first, besides having to...ingest, their blood. They kept me fed and entertained, purchasing a variety of clothing, books, and other odds and ins. But then there came a time where they started sending me out to town. They told me to find certain people, and gave me a photo so I'd find the right person. They said they just needed to talk to them. So they had me lure the people to the manor, and then told me to go up to my room.This was only on occasion, but as I aged they had be start going out more and more often. I never knew what was happen until I was around 13, and I walked in on the sight of the head-of-the-household feeding upon someone I had recently brought there, dropping their corpse to the ground below, glassy eyes staring right back at me...like they were staring right into my soul.." a solemn look crossed her face at the recollection of the memory. " Once I knew what was going on I tried to get out of it. I was old enough that I had knowledge of some of their weaknesses- namely, the sun. So I chose a sun-lit, cloudless day at noon-when the sun was highest- to run away. The attempt was futile, however, as they found me within an hour after the sun went down. I was scolded, but they didn't harm me, not physically anyways. Rather it was a firm reminder that I essentially owed them my life for taking me in and literally keeping me alive. Then, after the time one of them walked in to provide me my so-called 'medicine', he had bloodstains still on his shirt. I had been found of that poor soul. After that, I simply refused to take their blood, a protest against what they were doing to those poor, innocent people. Within a few days my condition began rapidly deteriorating again. I still refused to take their blood, but...they forced me to take it. One of them restrained my limbs, the other pried my jaw opened and shoved his wrist against my mouth. "

Her eyes had stayed glued to the top of the table, her left hand absent-mindlessly fidgeting with a leaf that had fallen from the tree branch above, it's leaves swaying in the gentle breeze. " On occasion they let me have a day to myself. But it's never truly to myself, and it is in no way enjoyable. I can't really linger around anyone too long, for fear their scent will linger on me. As you should know, vampires have the nose of a bloodhound. If a scent lingers on me and they catch and like it, they typically then track said person down during the night. Sometimes they will hunt the person themselves- other times they just find their identity and make me do the dirty work. But that's why I try to avoid people as much as possible... the last victim was a girl around my age. Sweet, innocent, and too naive for her own good. I was out on a day much like this one when she approached me. I gave her blunt, flat responses and she still insisted on befriending me. Eventually we became good friends, up until they caught her scent. I tried to push it off as long as possible, but then out of the blue she wanted to see where I lived- 'to have a sleepover!' she had said. I told her it wasn't a good idea, but the foolish girl was relentless. I half lured her back, half tried to get her to stay away. Mainly she followed me back to the manor, and...." her voice failed her at that point in the story, her nails digging harshly into the palms of her hand, nearly drawing blood.

It took her some time before she spoke again. " To be honest, most of the time I tried to avoid leading them back to the manor. Most of the time in futility. Though the end result was the same, I much preferred when they did their own hunting....then I could try to help the people that arrived here, if I could get to them in time. But it doesn't matter. It doesn't change the fact I can hear their cries for help, how they plead and beg for mercy. Their screams of pure agony, followed by the deathly silence later on.... sometimes I can't tell if their screaming hasn't ended or if it's just the sound of their screams replaying in my mind, haunting every waking minute of my pitiful existence....even now, when it's silent, it's like I can still hear their cries." she looked up at mags briefly with a haunted gaze before returning her eyes to the table.

" I didn't ask for this, you know. This burden came to me. Sometimes I truly believe death would have been better than this, but I am not suicidal. If I were to stop ingesting their blood I would spend what time I could trying to protect whomever I could, and if I could find an alternative cure. Or at least something that would slow its progression... but I do not wish for death. My suffering is nothing compared to what the victims and their families go through...I deserve every minute of it that I experience."

" That, however, is my story. Think of it what you will. If you should hate me I shall not blame you, and if you should desire my head on a platter I will accept my punishment without argument. I do not wish to bear witness to any more tragedy. "
    Ophelia then switched topics, desiring to disclose no further information on her reason for being in the manor-not like there was much left to disclose anyways. " Nonetheless, I know by now you will not leave me be until you receive the answers you seek. If you have any further questions I will answer them to the best of my abilities, but I give you no promise I will have all the answers. "
    Last edited by Owl0430; 05-04-2020 at 05:32 AM.

The Ashen One
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mags was quiet, studying Ophelia's words as much as she was studying how she said them. There was a genuine sadness there, an undeniable remorse. Mags tried to put herself in her shoes, but it was too easy to know what she might have done. It was simple. If Mags's life meant innocents' deaths, she'd kill herself in a heartbeat.

When Ophelia finished, Mags remained still, contemplating. The girl didn't want to hurt people, but her failure to fight was killing people. Where did that put her in the Rebellion's eyes? If Mags told anyone back home about this, would they threaten to kill Ophelia? She cast her pale eyes across the park again and, once sure no one was watching, she drew a lightweight dagger from one of her boots. Gently, she set the blade on the table. It was a simple thing, a silver weapon that came to an end in a dully-colored hilt. Mags looked up at Ophelia, watching for her reaction. "You're not suicidal," she repeated, "but I'm not afraid of cutting down those who stand in my way. You seem awfully plagued by this, and it might save some lives if you didn't exist anymore, huh? I'd have no regrets taking from you what is not yours to have."

She never removed her hand from the hilt. It wasn't a threat, really, more an offer, and Mags wondered just how it sounded to this stranger. She didn't agree with her life at all, and though she could understand wanting to preserve the life of a child, she could never forgive the parents who had given their child up to kill so many others. She could never forgive the woman who was continuing to let this happen.

But an idea sprung to her mind, and she slipped her dagger back into her boot. She kept her gaze steady on Ophelia, and a smile blossomed over her lips. "Or you could help us," she suggested. "I'm not a... whatever you called me. I prefer to work without titles. But I do want to see the end of vampirekind. Humans deserve that. We don't deserve to live as slaves to beings who don't care about us and threaten our safety." A smile met her features, soft and uncharacteristic. "You said they catch the smells of people and get you to pursue them. Well, Ophelia, it looks like you and I just became friends. I want you to lead them right to me. And when you do, I promise, I'll cut them down for everyone who never got the chance."

Mags felt her phone go off, pulling her out of her heroic reverie. She cleared her throat and looked away. "There's probably a cure for you," she added softly. "I don't know about your condition, and I don't claim to be a chemist by any means. But there has to be a cure other than vampire blood. And if there's not... Well, maybe we can torture them like they've tortured you, and find a way to keep you alive anyway." Mags didn't know if she believed such a thing was possible, but she wasn't going to rule it out entirely. She didn't know what to think about Ophelia, but if believing in her future made her help the Resistance, she'd use what was available to her.

"Think about it." Absently, Mags shoved some hair behind her ear. "I think we can help you, and I think you can help us, too. Besides. Life like yours seems awful lonely. I think you could find some friends where I come from, friends who are more than capable of dealing with your, ah... housemates."
    Last edited by Ashen; 05-11-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

When Mags spoke after drawing out a dagger of sorts, Ophelia raised an eyebrow. " Is that a threat or an offer?" she questioned, as her words could be interpreted either way.

She didn't contemplate on that fact much longer, however, as Mags soon enough began talking to her about..helping some type of group? She had said 'Us', meaning she wasn't alone in her endeavors. Nonetheless, she heard Mags out, thinking things over carefully before responding.

" I...agree. Vampires shouldn't be a part of this world. At least the ones around here, though I'm willing to bet the rest are more or less the same. Still, out of the ones I know, only one of them has a shred of decency, but overall he's no better than the rest of them. Vicious and bloodthirsty all the same." she briefly looked down at the table again before meeting Mags's gaze, a brief look of determination crossing her gaze. " I will agree to assist you." she firmly spoke. " If it will help the people of this town....I will help you. However," she hesitated to finish, implying there was a catch to her agreement. " to 'lead them' to you like you wish shall be no easy tasks. It will be difficult to do so, on both our parts...." she then returned to gazing at the table, something she found oddly comforting through their entire conversation. " But... I can not go outside like this every day. They simply won't allow it. Plus I am not allowed any type of cellphone. Communication will be difficult. Now, I know I am in no position to make demands, but I must at least request that you avoid the manor at night. The daylight hours are risky enough. Some of them still choose to be awake during the day, and one in particular enjoys pestering me. I always have the blinds open during the day to allow in the daylight, so he shouldn't go past the doorway, but just in case. Plus if they catch your scent near the manor too often, who is to say what would happen. Nonetheless....if we go through with this, under no circumstances can I be caught helping you with your agenda.

"Remember how I told you about the time I ran away, but they didn't physically scold me? It's true. I've never been physically harmed or bitten. However, they made it quite clear that if I disobeyed them again, out of empathy for my fellow humans or anything else...that there would be bloodshed, and not my own. and it wouldn't just be one human, either. There would be many....and they made their point quite clear. Before my very eyes they brought in a human, and I had to watch as they sunk their fangs into his jugular. " At the memory her pupils went small, almost as if reliving the memory. " furthermore, I wish for no cure, unless my existence should prove useful to you even after the nightingales are...taken care of. If I will serve no further purpose, I would prefer to help out with what I could until meeting my unavoidable fate."

She then changed course, deciding to respond to the comment about her life being lonely. " Well, your not wrong about it being a lonely life. I do not think that would change, however, wherever I go. I'm not exactly the kind of person someone would want to be friends with, if you haven't noticed. Not to mention I'm socially inept."

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

She was agreeing. Mags sighed lightly, surprised at the breath she had been holding. The Resistance would kill her for this; how often had she dared to take things into her own hands, and how often had they ended chaotically, often with casualties? But Mags couldn't pass up an opportunity like this. Ophelia was an invaluable resource to them, and she would find a way to convince the rest of her family, somehow. She was already getting carried away thinking of all the ways her plans would work that she barely caught the hitch in Ophelia's voice, the small but that lingered between them, a condition, a threat, a warning Mags likely wouldn't heed.

She didn't want her lingering around the mansion at night. Mags shrugged softly, knowing the Resistance had ways around leaving their tracks. She wasn't dumb enough to get herself caught--or so she wanted to believe. Really, Mags was too bold and too rambunctious, which is what Tyrain had called her many a time. She was sure of herself; there was no way she'd get herself killed, not by some stupid vampires. She had vowed it.

Mags flinched lightly at the memory Ophelia told, but she quickly dismissed it from her mind. "Have some faith in me, okay?" she said. "I won't get you in trouble, and I certainly won't get any more humans killed." She smiled again. "I've trained my whole life for this, alright? You say you've experienced horrors, but there's a reason I'm trying so hard to bring them down, you know? I'm too experienced and too determined to make some klutzy mistake that'll get us all killed. Believe me." She shrugged and turned her attention away, focusing on some unimportant part of nature. "You... ought to hold more worth for yourself," she suggested, her voice dropping to a more somber tone. "Think of all the people who've died for you. If you're so flippant about whether you live or die after this..." Mags's voice trailed, and she stopped herself. "Never mind," she murmured.

She turned her gaze back to Ophelia. "I'm not someone to be friends with either," she offered, a conversation point to get Ophelia to trust her. "I mean, I carry knives with me wherever I go. What kinda weirdo does that?" She laughed lightly, though her words also acted as a warning. She didn't think Ophelia was a threat at this point, but if she had still been thinking of killing Mags, she was reminded of her weapons. "I never had a normal life either. Never went to school, don't go out much, a bit of a recluse... I fit the whole resistance fighter persona, I guess. Fine by me. People are interesting, but I prefer watching them from the side and saving their asses from backstage."

She offered a hand to Ophelia. "I don't think we had a proper introduction. I'm called Mags, and I've devoted my life to ending vampirekind. I've experienced firsthand what vampirism can do, how it can rip apart people, families, societies. I exist to get revenge for the people who never got a chance to protest, and to stop the loss of future lives over the carelessness of some undead freaks. I can also consume books at an alarming rate, and I'm too good at sneaking into and out of places. That's... me in a nutshell, I think." Her phone went off again, reminding her of her duties to other people. She grabbed for it without apology and looked over the messages across her screen. "When can I introduce you to the rest of us?" she asked, not looking up from her phone.

Mags's expression was even, though she could feel her heartbeat hasten. On her screen were the panicked, misspelled words of her roommate, the warnings to stay away from the Nightingales until further notice. Their leader, texted Tyrain, was dead.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

" Very well." she spoke, shaking her head in the slightest bit of amusement. " I will take you at your word that you will not get us or your resistance members killed....I will do my best to assure the same, but I do not have the training you have." Nor would she be much use in combat, at that. She had never needed to fight. All she had needed was the ability to tell a convincing lie and to come up with clever schemes. But....that did remind her of something important. " I will be of no use to you in the physical portion of your war against these leaches. But if you need someone for the mind games they play...I'm your girl. I've had years of living with them to learn how they hunt, how they scheme, the way they play their games. I can even tell you some of their weaknesses you may or may not be privy to. But we can get into that later."

She then let out a slight chuckle when indirectly asked what kind of weirdo carries weapons on them. " Well, plenty of women these days carry different self defense items with them for protection. Though I don't think any of them carry quite so many of them at once, or for the same reasons. Nonetheless...it is nice to meet you. I would like to...save, the behinds of the people from the sidelines as well."

" And since you were kind enough to tell me more about yourself, I can share with you some of the more light-hearted details about my life. I enjoy reading as well, but primarily I enjoy art- drawing in specific. Living with the vampires, however, has made me rather clever. I'm nowhere near the escape artist you are, but I know how to talk my way out of situations relatively well...though I promise this is not one of those times." The last part was an afterthought, formed by her fear her words might've led Mags to believe she was lying.

The sudden change of topic, however, caught her off guard. That was...well, sudden. " Well, that is a bit of a tough question. I don't get days like this all the time...typically about once a week, but sometimes it can be months before they give me a free day. So really, it all depends on how soon you are wanting me to meet them. Today would be the soonest opportunity, so long as I make it back to the manor before nightfall."

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mags was good at hiding things. She'd spent so long in hiding that being invisible was like second nature to her. She wasn't one to wear her emotions; in her line of work, she couldn't. So as Ophelia continued to speak, her expression was neutral. Her thoughts, however, were tempestuous.

Her leader was dead? How did that make sense? It was daylight; how could the vampires have gotten to him now? And with Ophelia here, how could she allow herself to grieve? She straightened, trying to follow the conversation still. "Today is... less than ideal," Mags admitted, awkwardly scratching her head. "I'll need to soothe things over first, and from the sounds of things, my family won't exactly be in their best spirits right now." She glanced to her phone, to the text message she still hadn't responded to. How could she? With everyone in a panic over this recent death, how would she ever be able to introduce a spy into their ranks?

Mags looked to Ophelia, studying her. "You wouldn't know where they are right now?" It was a blunt question, a vague one. She turned away, chewing her lip. "I mean, your uh. Your housemates. They wouldn't just be going out to hunt in broad daylight, right?" She motioned to her phone. "I've just received word that something has happened to one of our own. I need to be there for my family right now, but I need you to tell me... Is anyone else in danger right now?" She didn't know what happened. Tyrain's message wasn't clear. Was she jumping to conclusions? But if anyone else was in danger, she had to find out. She had to protect them. "You wouldn't know anything about this, right? If not... Well, I should get going, but we should meet again. Soon." Before we lose anyone else.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It took her some time to respond, deep in thought. This was a..sensitive situation. Therefore, it was only when she was sure of her response that she spoke, "I only have vague ideas of where they are at night, but I can give you a general location during the daylight hours- the manor. When I left today, they were having a house meeting, but they wouldn't be outside the manor during the day. They can't go outside in the sunlight." A look then crossed over her face as a realization came over her. "....except... for one...."

her words were slow and drawn out. " There is one resident there of the bloodsucker kind that can be outside during the daylight. His name is Alec. He's been there longer than I have, but aside from me he's the newest resident. By far he is the nicest and most human of them all...oh, and please note I still don't like him. " Though..he does have his moments. If I can find out more about his past I might be able to convince him to help... " He has quite the interesting backstory from what I know of it. His breed of vampire is pretty rare I guess- both in heritage and in abilities. A human born to a human mother and a pure-blooded vampire father."

" At least, he was human to begin with. As he aged, more and more vampiric characteristics showed up. eventually, he was completely a vampire. But unlike the rest of the manor's residents...he could walk in the daylight. They don't know why he could, but they assume it's the human part of his heritage. It was quite an advantage to them nonetheless... someone who could blend in with the humans, but much less fragile than humans. Much more capable.But that's beside the point, I can tell you more later. What I'm trying to say is that if a Nightingale killed your friend or family and what not during the day...it would have to be him. But...that would make meeting up even harder. He could be eanywhere, and for all I know he could be watching us right now. Most of the time I can sense when they are nearby, but not always."

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mags chewed her lip, deep in thought. She knew information about this Alec would be valuable to bring home, but was it at all related to the current situation? If there was a vampire who could walk among humans, he'd be the first to die. She looked over Ophelia's face, her gentle features, her concerned eyes. Surely she thought Alec was worth saving, to some degree, but Mags couldn't exercise the thought. If her leader was dead, it had to have been a vampire, and if he was the only one who could have done it, Mags would kill him with her own bare hands.

She cleared her throat after several moments and nodded. "Thank you for your information," she said, and she flashed a polite smile. "I need to get going. I'll be in touch. I will... I'll mail you a note. For when we should meet up next. I'll fly it through your window or something, and when you're done reading it, you should burn it. And if you need to contact me, you should leave notes for me, in the tree by your window. I will be careful, I promise. I won't get caught. We'll work with this until we find something better. Maybe a throwaway phone of some sort..." Her voice trailed in thought, but she soon shook her head. "Right," she said, "thank you, again. I believe with you by our side we can save the world from the monsters you've lived with. Keep yourself safe in the meantime."

Mags stood, and though she tried to politely offer a bow, she hastily stumbled away from the park. Thoughts swirled within her. As soon as she was out of earshot, she pressed a few buttons on her phone and held it up to her ear.

"Maggie." His voice was strained.

"What happened?" She had no time to beat around the bush. "Are you okay? Was anyone else hurt?"

Tyrain was quiet for a moment, then sighed. "Mags, Luca, he... It was suicide."

Mags stopped running, feet suddenly cemented to the ground. "What?" she demanded. "What do you mean it was suicide. He wouldn't just kill himself. That's stupid. Where are you? I'm coming to see you."

Tyrain didn't try to argue with her. When Mags burst through the front door of their apartment minutes later, he swallowed the lump in his throat.

The leader of the Rebellion, Luca Othfix, had been found hanging in his apartment after he hadn't shown up to a meeting. His body was free of any bites or wounds. All signs pointed to suicide.

But Mags would have none of it. "They killed him," she snarled. "I don't care what the cops are calling it. They killed him." This only reignited her rage for the beasts. She stormed away from her housemate, but he grabbed her wrist, stopping her.

"Maggie, you should rest. Don't act now, you'll do something stupid."

And though she hated to admit it, she knew he was right. Mags locked herself in their bedroom, trying to make sense of this all. With her leader dead, they would need someone new. Someone to take matters into her own hands... She thought of Ophelia, of the uses she could provide, of the fame she could afford Mags within her own ranks. Maybe this was what the Rebellion needed to bring this fight to an end once and for all.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

" Very well then. I shall remember that. You keep yourself safe as well." Her tone held slight concern for the other woman's well-being, but she didn't stop her from leaving- that woman was so stubborn she doubted she could've stopped her even if she wanted to.

Therefore, she tried to spend the time she had remaining before sunset to try and act like things were normal- but her mind was racing, filled with both hope and worry. What if they got caught? But then, what if they succeeded? How many more people would have to die before they could succeed, if they ever did? Such thoughts kept repeating around her thoughts like a carousel as she shopped.

Her first thought was a women's beauty store- filled to the brim with all sorts of beauty products and perfumes. She needed something to cover up Mag's scent- which no doubt lingered on her. It needed to be something strong, but still pleasant- leading her to choose a nice honey-lavender scented perfume. It took her only moments after she left the store to put it on.

After that she had gone to shop for some new clothes, books, and stopped at a small diner for her dinner. By the time all was said and done, there was about a half hour until sunset- just barely enough time for her to get back to the manor. Therefore she hurried back, slipping into the manor with only minutes to spare. And, just as she had thought she should've been able to sneak out of the manor that morning unnoticed, she thought she could get to her room the same. Once again, she was wrong, stopped again by the same vampire as before.

" You know, I was wondering what was taking you so long- normally you're not cutting it so close. Now I think I get it- it looks like you've bought some new clothes, but more importantly- you're wearing a new perfume. So, which is it? Are you hiding something..or is there someone you're trying to impress? Hmm? Though I have to say, if it's me you're trying to impress, I much prefer your natural scent- it's much better than the chemical undertone perfume has. "

She raised a quizzical eyebrow at Alec. " Why on earth would I be trying to impress you? I've lived here practically my entire life- it is far too late for impressions." Despite the oddity of his comment, Alec did give her an idea- one that could help her get away with any odd behavior that might be caused by her new deals with that Mags girl: To pretend she was trying to woo some lad from the town. Though she would have to choose someone from one of the shops she frequents to truly pull it off (in case anyone in the manor would ask for names, jobs, or appearances.)...but it might just work. " But if it truly intrigues you so...I am trying to impress someone from the town."

At that, Alec's face fell, a look of betrayal, shock, and confusion all in one. " What? You did expect me to honestly be alone forever did you?" she asked him. " Well...of course not. But...why one of those hooligans? They're all wimps. None of them could protect you, or provide such luxury as living in a manor such as this, able to spend however much money you would like. Wouldn't you prefer someone more capable, able to give you everything you've dreamed of and more?" Now, while she wasn't and idiot, Ophelia's knowledge of romance and flirting was...well, less than subpar. Lying? easy. Flattery? Child's play. But romance and the art of flirting? That was like solving the worlds hardest algorithmic equation. " not really, no. To be honest, i would much rather live my day to day life budgeting my funds rather than spending it without a single care in the world. Even the smallest things seem so much more significant when they are earned and worked for. "

Despite what he considered to be her naivety and foolishness, Alec shook his head with a slight chuckle. " Very well then. If that is your opinion, I suppose I can not argue...nonetheless, I do have exciting news for you- Oliver has given me permission to take you out into the town to see the nightlife. If I recall correctly, you've never been into the town at night before, yes? I suggest going and changing into something a bit more formal. "

If her utter silence wasn't enough of a hint that she didn't want to go, the blank stare she was given him should have been. But instead, Alec was persistent. Anyhow, I need to go finish getting ready myself. I'll meet you back here."and with that he was gone, just as sudden and silently as he had arrived. Meanwhile, she trudged up to her room in disappointment. ' so much for a night of just me, tea, and a good book.' she thought begrudgingly.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Her tears silently splashed onto her pillow, soaking the threadbare pillowcase. She'd deny to anyone that she was crying, but she couldn't help herself. The leader of the Rebellion had been a good man. He'd never been friendly to Mags, had often looked down on her and her childish ways in fact, but he had had a good heart. He'd loathed vampires more than anyone--except perhaps Mags--so she just didn't understand why the rest of their family could believe this was a suicide.

A gentle knock on the door pulled her from her thoughts. "If you're up for it, we're holding a meeting about what's happened," Tyrain told her. "We'll need to elect a new leader, and your vote is important."

Mags wiped her eyes. "What if I become leader?" she tried.

The door opened. Tyrain watched her with a raised brow. "Sweetheart," he started.

"Don't condescend me," Mags bit. "I have a lead. I can end vampires. I'm working with a spy, and she's going to help us. I think she should be in contact with the leader, and I think the leader should be me." Mags kicked off the bed and stormed out of the room. "You never believed in me, Ty, but let's see what the others have to say."

---

The meeting dragged on long into the night. Mags suggested becoming a leader, but many of the other members turned her away. She decided to keep Ophelia a secret for now; in light of everything else, that was not what her family needed to hear. Afterwards, she slunk back to her apartment. Tyrain walked with her, though they remained silent. Once home, Mags glanced at her phone. She would need to find a more efficient way to contact Ophelia, especially if this was going to work.

She had been home for all of half an hour before she decided she needed air. Mags left the apartment wordlessly, and she walked back to the park she and Ophelia had been in before. On her way there, to her surprise, she saw her companion from earlier. Now, she had a partner. A boyfriend maybe? But his eyes, his skin; it was clear he was one of them. What was she doing out at night with a vampire? Mags watched her for a moment, then turned away. If she kept staring like this, the vampire would think something was up. But this didn't make any sense...

Night already lost to the distractions running rampant in her head, Mags busied herself with staying out of view of both Ophelia and her partner. She kept a close eye on them still, not able to fight the curiosity. Absently, she wondered how easy it would be to just kill him now...

~Recruitment Thread~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast