Thread: [M] Los Noctis Special Investigations Unit IC

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Medieval Fantasy, Apocalyptic, War, Zombies
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Default [M] Los Noctis Special Investigations Unit IC

Rated M for all content covered by the rating

“You look like shit.”

Salem looked up from his desk, slamming his desk drawer closed. He was tired, hungry, and frustrated after a restless night. Taking a deep breath, he rubbed his eyes and blinked for several seconds as he leaned back in his chair. Seeing Detective Rios standing before him, he snorted.

"Rough night." Salem responded, pulling out an unlit cigarette and putting it in his mouth.

Rios eyed the cigarette but ignored it. "Captain wants to see you."

Rolling his eyes, Salem sighed and stood up. "Any idea what she wants?"

Shrugging, Rios smirked. "Maybe she's finally kicking your ass to the curb."

"Can't get that lucky." Salem retorted as he made his way to Captain Amari Nassar's office. Knocking on the door, he opened it before she could even respond. "Detective Rios said you wanted to see me?"

Amari looked up from her paperwork and motioned for him to close the door. "Detective Grimm, how goes your current investigation into Franco Hernandez?"

Salem shrugged. "I should have him in cuffs by the end of the week. Hopefully he'll give us the information we need to shut down a large portion of the Lobos Cartel's money laundering operations and more names to hunt down."

"Good, I look forward to seeing it. Hopefully you'll be able to get more done with the new partner you're being assigned." Amari stated, looking at him pointedly. "Her name is Scarlett Masterson, a recent transfer. I'm pairing her with you."

Salem sighed and leaned forward, resting his elbows on the arms of the chair. "....Okay. Anything I need to know?"

Amari smirked. "That's why I like you, Grimm. Always to the point, no complaints."

"I complain plenty, just not about you." Salem responded dryly.

"At least not to me." Amari retorted with amusement. "Your new partner should be here shortly."

The Art Vandal

Decent grammar. Limited cringe. That’s all.
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Prologue
    Three Days Prior

A soft ray of morning sunshine caressed the countenance of Scarlett Masterson, illuminating her feminine facial features as she hesitantly approached an obscure red brick building.

God damn it.

Today really was not her day, it seemed.

Typical.

Now nearly twenty minutes late for her appointment, the wayward investigator raised her right hand in what appeared to be a formal salute; but in truth this was nothing more than a squint to see what was really going on in the distance. A crowd donned in crimson had already gathered at her point of destination, despite the early morning hour. Each unknown individual was a tad blurry to the naked eye (as Scarlett had accidentally ripped her last pair of contacts when applying them in the dark before the sunrise), but still markedly visible due to the vibrancy of their matching red tee-shirts. This congregation appeared to only be a dozen or so, but still eager and energetic with their distinct sorts of signage and take-away coffees in hand. Scarlett thought their deliberate coordination a wee bit eerie.

God damn it... twice...

Lowering her hand, Scarlett took a moment to shut her eyes and breathe deeply, mentally preparing herself to pitter-patter her white sneakered feet towards the throng. She understood exactly what she was walking into. Why did they think any of this was their business, especially when she had no choice?

I need a cup of coffee, she mused, pitying herself.

Or perhaps something a bit stronger.

She sighed.

I doubt these dopes care though.

Instinctively, Scar veered left so that she would not need to pass every set of accusatory eyes (in close range, at least) before purposefully releasing a fake cough that sounded strained. She hoped to garner a bit of pity before she walked through their menagerie of signage like Moses through the Red Sea.

"Excuse me... pardon me..." she apologised between coughs, using her peripherals to look around at the gruesome photographs of bloody, broken body parts—or what some might deem to be little more than cellular clumps. Whatever the case, Scarlett proceeded to read the words written boldly on the signs, just below the bloody imagery.

L e t h e r b e b o r n

We care...

M U R D E R E R

Resistance was always to be expected in fairness, and it was evident to Scarlett that her bright idea of arriving before the sun shined had failed. She had hoped no soul would see her. She didn't want anyone to know. And while the more vulgar aspect of her nature desired to tell these strangers to piss right off to hell, she held her tongue, innately knowing that emotional outbursts rarely achieved what you intend. So the junior investigator remained silent as she approached the threshold of the RCLN—the Reproductive Centre of Loc Noctis. She continued to stride on meaningfully, past the gazes of the pious who guarded these doors, the dozen or so pairs of eyeballs making her feel rather self-conscious.

Right then, Scarlett had a realisation.

She much preferred her dealings in the dark, where it felt safe and less... exposed. She further knew that she should do nothing to aggravate or encourage these types to open their mouths... although, surprisingly enough, none of them did so upon her initial approach. It was creepy. It was almost as if they remained silent on purpose, leaving an elderly woman with compassionate baby blues to stretch out her wrinkled hand to pass on a poorly designed pamphlet that hurrahed the joys of motherhood. Your child is God's gift, Scarlett read, flipping the pamphlet over to its back to investigate. 'Grandma' and her sad demeanour almost seemed to ask... why are you doing this?

Interrupting this strange moment, a soft bell chimed as a nurse in scrubs exited the medical centre, chattering away into a mobile phone that was stuck to her ear. Scarlett used this distraction as an escape from the old woman and disappeared into the brick building where she could be free... free from the judgmental eyes and the red... crossing over its threshold and closing the door safely behind her. From the tinted windows of the reception, she could still see that one sign that called her a killer in bold lettering, and took a moment to mentally confront this accusation.

Murderer?

It was an intrusive thought, one that only ceased when the friendly voice of the receptionist inquired after her, wondering if she was in need of some assistance.

Maybe I am... Scarlett reflected with a frightening sense of self-awareness that felt overwhelming. Whatever the case, she was not here to debate any of that. She was here to make sure that nothing would get in the way of her entering the precinct of the Loc Noctis Federation Bureau.

She was here to set her life straight.

Loc Noctis
    Current Day

One might have called it a miracle, but Scarlett had actually arrived at the precinct early. So bright and early, in fact, that she was able to freshen up in the ladies' restroom, help herself to a cappuccino (extra foam, of course) in the canteen, and proceed to skim through the notices that had been tacked up throughout the main circulation points of the building. Hm. There was a pool'n'pizza social event for the staff this upcoming weekend beside photos of men wanted for armed robbery, and... far too many portraits of missing children with 'last seen' dates that had long past.

Aaron. Chloe. Olivia. Patrick. Ashley. Kodi. Evan. Joey.

The images of the missing just didn't end. Scarlett's heart dropped as she read their names and noticed the innocence in their eyes. It was all so depressing that she could not help but turn away to end her aimless lingering, unable to bear the heaviness of the paper. So she went and plonked herself down on a nearby lounge chair, waiting for the clock to strike nine, as that was when Captain Amari had asked her to arrive.

Scarlett was still waiting patiently in the hallway when the sound of someone approaching caught her attention. It was a dark-haired man with a scar. Grabbing a magazine, Scarlett held up a bright copy of Reader's Digest to conceal her own face. Quietly, she continued sipping at her cappuccino until the man shut the door of Captain Amari's office. Salem.

Once the coast was clear, Scarlett rose from her seat to press her ear up against the wall, with a mind to hear the conversation that was going on inside—but to no avail. Much like the blurriness of sight at the reproductive centre, her hearing in this place was also muffled by walls that were too well insulated.

God damn it… thrice.

Trying something new, Scar checked once more to see if the hallway was indeed empty before getting down onto her knees to place an ear near the brassy door knob, listening through its keyhole. If Salem was to see her again, she was curious to know if he recognised her name before just waltzing through the doors.

But he was surprisingly short, from what she could hear. His deep voice only muttered a few words before his superior proceeded to announce her arrival in a most lacklustre fashion. Welp, now is as good of time as any... right? On this cue, Scarlett rose to her feet and slowly entered, the creakiness of the door revealing how this particular precinct was in need of a little maintenance.

"Hi there," was all that Scarlett pronounced, quick to offer Salem a half smile as she tucked a bit of hair behind her ear and absentmindedly wiped lingering foam from her upper lip. She wondered if he remembered her. It was unlikely that he did—she looked so different now—but constantly leaning on assumptions was a dangerous habit because... maybe he does.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Salem. My name's Scarlett."
    Last edited by Leanna; 09-27-2020 at 08:47 PM.

art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable

- banksy

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

"Glad to meet you." Salem said, looking at Scarlett oddly. She seemed familiar, but he couldn't quite place her. After a moment he shook his head and decided he'd worry about it later.

"Detective Masterson, your desk will be the one right across from his. You will work together on assignments and report directly to me. For now I suggest you get familiar and figure out how you're going to work together. If either of you have any concerns you can report them to me. Understood?" Amari asked, glancing between her two detectives.

Grimm nodded. "Understood. You hungry?" he asked Scarlett as he stood. "There's a decent bakery down the street. We can stop and get breakfast while I get you briefed on the current investigation."

The Art Vandal

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Tilting her head in tandem with Salem, her eyes met his for a brief moment. There was no verbal response to his welcome; at least right away. Instead, Scarlett’s body language gave the expression of likewise, before she glanced towards Amari, appearing full of gratitude.

As for Grimm? Well, in the few seconds that Scarlett had studied him, she could conclude that this was indeed a man who meant what he said, and said what he meant. For Salem appeared sincere yet blunt when offering his greeting, and it did seem like she truly was a stranger to him.

Good.

When Scarlett finally snapped back to reality, she focused just in time to process the invitation offered to her from Salem. “I‘m starving, actually,” she replied automatically, unable to hide the amusement that was beginning to bubble up within her chest.

It was all so overwhelming that the freshly promoted detective grinned at her seasoned counterpart, so brightly that its warmth reached her curious eyes. She couldn’t believe that she had made it into this office. It really was so unbelievable.

“Lead the way?”
    Last edited by Leanna; 10-21-2020 at 06:29 AM.

- banksy

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

His new partner's grin made nearly made him roll his eyes.We'll see how long that optimism last, he inwardly mused as he opened the door for her before stepping out. Ignoring the looks from the others, he led Scarlett out to his vehicle; a black dodge charger with a hemi v-8 engine. It was a beauty, one that he was more attached to than he'd ever admit. Due to department policy it had had been outfitted for his work needs, along with a few personal customizations. Unlocking the car, he looked up at his partner.

"Your duty bag can go in the trunk with mine. Once we get our food to go, I'll show you some of our places of interest where our current persons of interest hang out and frequent." Salem stated, getting in the car as he popped the trunk.

The Art Vandal

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

[Editing.]
    Last edited by Leanna; 11-01-2020 at 05:39 PM.

- banksy