Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Carrie Nation

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Default SS Carrie Nation

With the development of the Alcubierre warp drive, Humanity has reached the stars, travelling at a rate of one parsec (3.262 light years) in the space of five days, without the need for acceleration tanks, hibernation chambers (still available), or even seat belts. Trade with other races provided additional tech, including high-efficiency water-fueled thrusters, generators, contragrav generators, and grav plate.

We also learned about a civil war that had raged for almost a century, the last known fleet battle ended approximately two decades before we made contact with aliens. All the races we've met were trying to recreate their tech, and few had managed to re-establish interstellar travel.

Humanity has a dozen off-world colonies - some we share with other species, but five were vacant worlds.

The exploration, colonization, and defensive arm of Earth is UN Space Agency (UN SPACY). And it has a problem. One of their officers who had gone missing four months prior had appeared - on the remote outpost of Midway, a few days following their last known sighting on Earth. Midway reported they were investigating a seismic event and had found them passed out nearby the blast crater, without any sign of how they got there.

When revived, the officer told them they had followed this figure who had stolen their omni down an alleyway and through some doors when they found themselves in a large ring with multiple doorways. They spotted the thief diving through a doorway, and the next thing they knew they were being revived in one of the Midway base shuttles.

Afraid what sort of stories might get out if they were allowed to speak directly to the press, UN Spacy high command decided to give the officer a ship and send them out. Midway had no ships, so they were transferred to New Canaan, where the only available ship, the base commander told them, was the SS Carrie Nation, an ancient Magellan-class Survey Service Saucer that they were about to scrap before receiving new orders from Earth.

A green crew was then selected from the pool of available UN Spacy spacers to fill the necessary crew slots.

Your mission is to explore strange new worlds in an ancient flying saucer while keeping the captain well away from any reporters.

Any interest?

While you can play aliens, nothing overpowering. Anything that can punch through a wall has just let all the atmosphere out. Struggle builds character.

No personal energy weapons aside from tasers and railgun rifles.

The ship has no teleporter or FTL comms.

Psychics would be assigned to a better ship.

No private ships! No place to park them, this is a small ship. No private battlesuits. Standard compliment of four Centurion battle suits are on board. They're not the newest and may be Original Equipment. If you went to a private military academy, you remember these suits.
    Last edited by Enigma; 06-01-2020 at 06:18 AM.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Wolf of the Highlands
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, action
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

with the race and character I'm thinking up, they might have put me on board because of other issues.
    we'll see how the character turns out.
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.
    The motto give: fortiorum fortia facta (made stronger and braver)

I say, let us all be fortiorum fortia facta.

Spoiler: I'm an Ajin! 

Spoiler: extra 

Field Cryptozoologist
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

What's the limit on how weird we can get with alien bodyplans? I'm a fan of speculative evolution and I'm excited to push the limit on viable.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Magellan survey saucers are old, really old ships. They have first generation grav-plate and are built to human standards. Anything that cannot fit thorough an human-sized passenger hatch is not coming aboard. Anything standing over 2 meters in height is going to have issues with all the pipes and wiring runs in the overhead. While they had some time to do a few upgrades, mostly in automation to reduce the size of the crew (and reduce the demand on the aging life support system), it's a cramp ship.

No X types allowed, where their ration packs or emissions could poison the crew. No Aqua types either, since there's no place to put them. Amphibians are a possibility, if they don't mind the dryness.

Nor should the aliens be 'unique' - UN SPACY doesn't want other worlds thinking that they're considered secondary citizens.

Spoiler: Alien Race Request Form 

Field Cryptozoologist
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

I'm thinking of a few more ideas, but here's my first one so far. Tell me if you need any clarifications/changes.

I'm also unsure of what you mean by "unique". Shouldn't all aliens be unique?

Spoiler: The Qttl'aau 
    Last edited by Yggdrasil_Hugger; 06-03-2020 at 04:47 AM.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Very nice, it's do-able.

"Unique" aliens are where there's one or two members of a species who through some mishap has been thrown vast distances. Or they're the only survivor of their race. As they're basically the only representatives of their race, they're ineligible for service.

Field Cryptozoologist
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Ah, okay, so like Arthur Dent from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Exactly. Although it raises some curious questions about Ford and Zaphod. Maybe it wasn't just the hairdressers and telephone sanitizers third class that survived. We're aware of several small errors in the Guide, after all.
    Last edited by Enigma; 06-03-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Field Cryptozoologist
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Alright, neat. Here is another one of my ideas, feel free to ask for a change.

Spoiler: Skraaestaa 

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alien Race Form - NOT PLAYABLE
    Species Name: Frigus Unus
    Species Nickname: Frigus
    Description: A human like race. They are various different shades of blue with darker blue shades being more resistant to the more extreme temperatures of their home world and lighter shades of blue that are less resistant to the temperatures of their home world.
    The average height and weight (male)- height[3'6" to 5'0"] weight[290 lbs to 380lbs]
    The average height and weight (female)- height[3'8" to 5'4"] weight[260 lbs to 340 lbs]
    Planet of Origin: Gelum Quae Sanguinem
    Spread of species: mainly on their home world, unless give special environmental suits.
    Average lifespan: regular human lifespan + 4d20 years
    They mature into adulthood in their mid 20s
    Traits: extreme cold resistance
    Disadvantages: they don't have a cohesive vapor state(they can't survive in temperatures above -330 degrees Fahrenheit)
    Standard Ration Pack: X/FRI-400*F (which is negative 400 degrees Fahrenheit, this is a reminder for myself if I forget)
    Technological Development: Late technological age, early fusion age.
    Last edited by Broken; 06-04-2020 at 06:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast