Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tidal Changes (Koti~xAshen){M}

Mystic of the Grimoire
    Working on sun lab.. need more A/C portals
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Maralynn followed along behind the child, letting him walk down memory lane through the town. He seemed so distant from the carnage, as though either too young to have fully felt the weight, or it's been so long that the pain had been whittled down that it didn't burn his chest like normal. When he mentioned that they lived in the mountains now, she could only guess it was the latter. When he finally turned back to her, sheh had to school her face back into the calm demeanour she had kept this time, looking upon his face as it flushed some. How long had it been since this child had been able to talk to another human being.

"My village? No I don't have one of those. I have a home with my crew, but nothing like a village. As for elder, I am the elder of our people, so yeah, I am kind." Maralynn preened a bit at herself, feeling a bit boastful. It was a bit arrogant for her, but where was pride for one if not being boastful. She looked him back over when he asked about food, and began thinking of her own actions.

"As for food, just about anything we can collect. Fish, boar, deer and rabbit. Sometimes sweets when we can." Maralynn spoke some, tapping her chin thoughtfully as she recalled them. She looked around the place, figuring that food for him was pretty basic, meat thrown over an open flame and cooked deep. She knew already what he would grow up into, taken advantage of for his naive nature and lack of social skills. Sure, she would be doing the same, but for better reasons. Though not doing the same as those who came before.

"As for preparing food, I shall have our chef cook a grand meal tonight on the beach, so that we may drink and be merry!" Maralynn cheered happily, loud enough to disturb some nearby wildlife as she smiled to the boy, much to the chagrin of Caesar.

"Even Dreams, can be a nightmare"
    Spoiler: Click it, I dare ya! 

The Ashen One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Kinta did not understand. How could Maraylnn not have a village? As far as he knew, everyone had a village, and a tribe and an elder, homes that looked like his had and family dynamics like he'd grown up with. But if Maralynn didn't have those things, he dared to wonder what else was different between what he knew and what this woman did. How many things did she have that he had never heard of? The thought of it all was almost overwhelming, but an excitement coursed through him, and he wanted to learn about it all.

A burning heat met his cheeks when Maralynn said that she was the elder of her people. He hadn't realized he was in the presence of such an important person, and he wordlessly scolded himself for not being more considerate. Kinta bowed his head the slightest bit. He worried Maralynn would become angry with him for not treating her like an elder ought to be treated. He hadn't shown respect; he would deserve what was coming to him. But just as he opened his mouth to utter an apology, Maralynn was already moving on, seemingly unaware of his injustice and embarrassment.

Her weird approach to food interested him, too. Kinta survived on whatever he could find, too, most often enjoying small game. He and Ayo didn't mind the rabbits, squirrels, and fish they often ate, and occasionally Kinta would hunt something bigger, a deer or boar, even a bear one time. But bigger creatures were too much for the two of them to share, and Kinta gave the leftovers back to the island anyway, so the smaller meals were much more convenient. Or--they had been. Now, with Maralynn and her family--or her crew, as she'd called them--he wondered if they might be able to enjoy one of those larger animals, and not leave any leftovers at all.

For all the excitement he had shown, Kinta was surprised to see a similar light in Maralynn's eyes when she suggested having a meal together. Kinta smiled wide, his cheeks curving into the smallest dimples, and a bounce met his feet. To have food prepared by a real chef... His mouth watered at the thought. "It would be an honor," he said, glee dripping from his voice. He turned to the wyrm beside him. "Do you hear that, Ayo? We will have a proper feast. You have never attended one, have you? It has been many, many years for me." He looked back to Maralynn. Unlike the last invaders on his island, these seemed to only bring luck, and things to learn. He never wanted her to leave. "When may we eat?"
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Mystic of the Grimoire
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

“We shall eat upon returning to the ship, of course!” Maralynn spoke enthusiastically, sure that Baroc must have collected food by now. She could think of it now, fresh deer and boar, fish roasted over a roaring spit. Mulled mead and dried apples as sweets. She could feel her own stomach grumble. Giving a large smile to herself, she drew her blade, ready to send a signal as she handled that warm steel upon her flesh. Turning back the way she came, she let out a whistle.

“Be wary Kinto, I shall be sending a message to my people of my return. Caesar, if you will?” Maralynn spoke to her Edo, feeling the flow of power shift between them. Her world view shifted, sights and sounds becoming sense and feel. Soft whispers of wind and the taste of rain drops coated her essence as she took over her weapons gem, feeling her soul course through it.

“Ah yes, feels good to be back in flesh.” Maralynn's body spoke, the voice echoing through it much deeper, yet holding that same lilt still there, just an octave lower. Caesar had taken over their shared body, fingers stretching and muscles tensing as he felt out the muscles and warmth. An energetic grin split their face as Caesar turned back to look at the boy, eyes now shimmering an electric blue deep within her face, alive with a new light.

“My boy, allow me to introduce myself as Caesar, the Edo soul of Maralynn. It is a pleasure to finally introduce myself to you in person, and I shall be accompanying you for the moment being.” Caesar spoke, his smile ever wider as he bowed deep to the young boy, a twirl of his blade as they bowed deep. Stretching again, he raised his blade up, spinning it through the air, a soft whistle accompanying the movement.

“Ready sister?” He whispered to the blade, spinning it faster around his body, the soft whispers growing even more until finally he swung hard, unleashing a shimmering pulse of air. The wave raced into the air, rising high above the tree line. As it crested the canopy, the energy burst, sending a bone rattling BOOM through the air, startling the nearby wildlife into a massive panic. Twice more Caesar unleashed the waves, the booms sounding like cannon fire before a twirl of the blade brought it sheathed back along his side.

“Come then, Kinta, my crew awaits us. Let us feast ourselves until our bellies bulge with glee.” Caesar said with glee, ready to taste the crew’s cooking and fresh mead.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

An excitement coursed through Kinta at the idea of partaking in their feast so soon. He nodded enthusiastically in response to her statement, then tilted his head at her warning. In a moment, she spoke again, but her voice was no longer hers. Maralynn seemed different now, and Kinta took a wary step from her. She reintroduced herself, this time as Caesar. The way they moved their blade had him taking a wary step away. Had something just claimed Maralynn? But how? And where had she gone?

His questions would remain unanswered. Caesar spoke to his blade, as if it had a life of its own. Kinta recalled that practice; many of his tribesmen had spoken to their weapons, too, asking for blessings, for good fortune, for protection. But this was different, less reverent, more random. He watched, wide-eyed, as Caesar moved the blade, sending powerful ripples through the trees of the island. Ayo clutched Kinta's leg, chirping nervously in response. But as soon as the burst of energy made its sound, the child could no longer support the smaller creature.

The sound was thunder, loud and threatening and familiar. Kinta could hear it so clearly, its echoes, the years-old echoes of those handheld cannons, the piercing cries they'd made as they fired tiny rocks into his family's flesh. The echoes of his mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, wailing to their gods, defenseless against the explosive steel. Fear flashed in the child's eyes, and he took off running, far from the pirate and the cursed sword. Trusting these strangers was a mistake, he realized, and now, he was going to die like the rest of his tribe.

He was swift, effortlessly darting through trees and over uneven terrain, even as his tears blinded him. Why had Maralynn--or Caessar--done that? To threaten him? But they had been so amicable before, as they planned to share their meal together. Kinta didn't understand. Rage and fear burned inside him at his ignorance. Once he was far enough from the strangers, he leapt to a low-lying tree branch, then climbed until he was unreachable. He wiped at his tears with trembling hands. He had had to get out of there, to protect himself, and so consumed by that fear, he didn't even realize his wyrm, struggling to keep up, was out there, in danger of their murdering guests.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mystic of the Grimoire
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

‘Wait, where is he running?’ Maralynn asked between them, able to pick up the ripples of air as Kinta had already darted off. Caesar was just as lost, blinking in shock as the wyvern was slower to follow, leaving a trail in the dirt before vanishing into the forested lands. Confusion kept the two rooted to the spot before action sunk back in. The two switched places, Maralynn watching the glowing orb swirl around her head before they began to move, following the trail before stopping near one of the ruins, looking towards one of the walls that nature had yet to reclaim. Studying it, she could see the faint traces of metal, and even the scorch marks left by one thing.

Gunfire and cannons. The pirates would have easily shattered these people, and with the people here knowing only boars and deer, would have no idea how to deal with bullets of hot lead.

“That … would sound like thunder.. Like.. Ohh, that’s gonna make things rough.” Maralynn said as she stood back up, realization settling in. To her, the sounds of cannons and guns would be like the power of a storm to them, and they had just released three blasts that would be the same to the young boy. Even more, Caesar had not even given time for the boy to comprehend the sudden shift in tone. Having lived with people stranger than them, and even more the common folk of the mainland, an island of secluded people would probably never have met one of her kind. She let out a deeper sigh as she began heading back into the forest, trying to follow the path of the panicked boy.

“Kinta, where are you? I don’t mean you any harm, nor did I mean to scare you as such. Please, can we just talk?” Maralynn shouted into the woods, picking her way carefully through tree branches and unturned roots. Her desire to still burn down the woods was strong, but had been tempered by the desire to help the young boy out. The last thing she needed was to scare him more.

..Why were forests so much worse to traverse than choppy seas anyway!?

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

From the treetops, Kinta could see almost all of his precious island. He looked to the shore, where the grand ship was still anchored on the sands, and he scanned the rest of the island, squinting through the trees and grasses in search of the deranged pirate ruler. There was far too much the child did not understand about these people, and so many answers he sought, but it couldn't have been worth the threat to his life. He'd forgotten what it was like to be around other people, so alone on this island as he had been, and this reintroduction to them felt almost like a punishment. Someone was punishing him for daring to live on while his family could not.

Amid his thoughts, with a start, he realized, in his panic, he had left behind his most trusted companion. Ayo was out there, somewhere on the island, likely looking for him, and Kinta had been too blind to even notice him. The poor wyrm was running from their intruders, too, and Kinta had to find him. He worried his bottom lip, trying to decide how to save his friend without putting himself in danger. He couldn't leave Ayo. He wouldn't.

The wyrm wandered through the island's forests, clumsily tripping over every protruding log in his haste. Blood bubbled between his scales where a branch or rock had scratched him, and he was leaving behind a thin trail of red as he moved. The stench made him wrinkle his nose in disgust. So overwhelming, it made it difficult for him to find his dear friend on smell alone. He did, however, stumble upon someone else, and as he moved a vine out of the way to step into a clearing, he moved before Maralynn. He paused, afraid, wondering if this would be the end for him.

Only a few moments later, Kinta burst through some bushes and stood his ground from Maralynn. He wordlessly called Ayo to his side with a pat against his leg, and the wyrm was quick to obey. The child met the pirate's eye, wary but bold. His voice was low when he snarled, "We do not wish to talk with you." He scooped Ayo into his arms and took several steps away from her. "It would be best if you left us alone."
    Last edited by Ashen; 04-04-2021 at 03:07 AM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mystic of the Grimoire
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Maralynn had been careful while exploring the land, taking her time to pick her way carefully through the underbrush in her hunt for Kinta. It was a challenging fight, hating the dense forest every minute while Caesar berated her for their stupid action. It was so commonplace for people of the mainland to know of her people, she didn’t think twice about someone not knowing her biology. Regardless, she wanted to make it up to the poor boy, to offer something to hopefully gain some type of camaraderie between them. Even Caesar held some worry for the young boy, one left alone after such a harrowing event. They should have known better than to just go showing off with magic like that.

Eventually, she managed to find her way into a semi clearing, and right into the boys blind wrym. She studied him, already spying the blood bubbling beneath the scales on his leg. She didn’t even get a chance to really move forward before Kinta burst from the tree line, affixing her with a wary yet bold glare as he picked up the wrym. She felt irked when told she was best to just leave them, yet took a steadying breath.

“Listen, I am sorry about before. I should have informed you before I did what I did. What you witnessed before was my magic, something born inherent with my people. I honestly mean you no harm.” Maralynn spoke, careful in her motion as she deliberately removed the sheath of her weapon, placing both on the ground.

“I am able to control magic akin to storms, and what you heard from before was me doing just that. I swear on my own grave that I mean you no harm.” Maralynn promised as she stepped away from the blade, hands visible as she sat down, waiting to see the boys actions.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Kinta remained wary, untrusting of the intruder, even as she apologized for startling him. Her words came cheap, he knew, and they didn't even make sense. Magic...? People didn't have magic. He would have known; his family wouldn't have kept that from him. He cast a glance towards Ayo, to the trail of blood now running on Kinta's own skin. Ayo had magic somewhere in him, or so he had guessed, but he had never witnessed it. Was it possible that the pirates could be born with such powers? And how could he get them, too?

He startled when she threw her weapons on the ground, then met her eye again. If he didn't know better, he'd have guessed she was surrendering. But why? What would she need someone like him for when she had all this technology and all these abilities? Did she... pity him? Kinta scoffed, but the wyrm in his arms nudged his chin. He batted the creature's face away gently. "Ayo," he murmured, but perhaps the wyrm was right. If Maralynn had come all this way just to ask for forgiveness, maybe her intentions weren't as dark as he'd thought.

Kinta took a step towards her. "How do you do it?" he asked. The curiosity softened his voice, and he was back to the innocent boy he was before, not at all the terrified one he'd just been. He cocked his head and arched a brow, wanting to know more about her weird powers. "Can you show me?" he asked. He studied her, looking over her face, her body, scanning her as if her magic were written somewhere on her skin. When he found nothing, he brought his attention back to her eyes. "I want to... to control the magic too."

A soft cry from Ayo distracted him before the pirate could respond. Kinta licked a finger and used it to wipe the thin trail of blood trickling down the beast's scales. "It is shallow, Ayo," he scolded, "do not make a fuss." He wiped away the blood, then licked his finger clean. He shook his head, and when he turned to face Maralynn again for her answers, again he was distracted. Ayo's stomach gurgled, and Kinta rolled his eyes playfully. "Ah," Kinta murmured, "you said there would be food too. Maybe you can show me after supper."

~Recruitment Thread~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12