Thread: Ylva's Search Thread

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Action/Adventure, Semi-Historical
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Ylva's Search Thread

Hey everyone! I'm Ylva, and you can call me, well, Ylva. I'm easy like that. Or you can come up with just about any nickname you'd like. I'm not picky, really. But anyway, I've been doing forum roleplaying for oh, about 13 years now. I've been off of it for a little while, but I'm looking to get back to it, so I'm looking for some new partners. I do have a tendency to make my request threads too long, which I think turns some people off, so I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet. Let's hope that works, shall we?

• I don't have a whole lot of time to write right now, so I'm going to be discerning about who I take on as a partner. I'd also like to talk with you about the idea for a bit before deciding if I think we'll work well together or not. Please don't be offended if I turn you down. Mkay? Awesome!
    • I am a huge world-builder. I'm open to partners who want to work with me to create a world together. I'm open to partners who want to write in one of my worlds, with me in a sort of GM role (my specific plot ideas are much better for people like this. The short prompts are better for those who want to build together.) I do not like to be the passenger in a story, so I'm sorry, but I probably won't want to write in a world developed/controlled entirely or almost entirely by you.
    • I write 3+ paragraphs per post, except in cases of extreme writer's block. I need a partner who can match that. Occasional shorter posts are fine. If I ever get a post shorter than a paragraph, though, I will drop the story.
    • I should also mention that I am a relatively slow poster. I average about one post per week. Sometimes I'll post more frequently. Sometimes it will be less frequent. Please be patient with me- I rarely forget a story, and I don't ghost. Feel free to bump me after a week without a post. Please don't do so any sooner than that, though.
    • Yes, I write romance. Yes, I write mature content. Neither can be the main focus of the story! In addition, obviously, any characters exposed to mature content will be 18+. Any involved in a romance (even an innocent crush-type one) must be at least 15. Also, I will only write mature content with anyone who has their age listed on their profile and is at least 18. Additionally, I only do mxf pairings. I'm not familiar enough with any others. Also, the following are absolute no's in romance situations: incest, large age gaps (0-5 years is fine, 6-10 is up for debate, 10+ is a no), and Stockholm Syndrome/severely abusive relationships. None of those appeal to me. Anything more specific than that will have to be discussed privately.
    • I generally prefer writing as characters in the 18-28 age range (or 18-28 in appearance, for fantasy races that have different lifespans and whatnot.) I prefer my partner's characters be in this range as well, although I'm more flexible on that.
    • I prefer to have some kind of reference images for characters- I'm not a visually-minded person, so no, I can't just visualize it. It doesn't work for me. But feel free to include written descriptions as well- I almost certainly will. Also, I prefer fantasy-style art images. Anime is alright too. I can tolerate my partner using a real person as a face claim for their character, but I will never use a real photo as the inspiration picture for my character. Don't even ask me to.
    • I write multiple characters. I prefer my partner is able to write multiple characters as well. I also have a preference for female characters, although I can and do write male characters as well.
    • Compromise is important. If you are very set in your ways on certain things and not willing to make compromises so that the story works for both of us, don't bother messaging me. I'm talking about things like "I absolutely do not double," or "I only write female characters, I don't care if you want a male love interest." If I am willing to step outside my comfort zone a bit to make things more enjoyable for you, I expect the same courtesy. That doesn't apply to specific content triggers- I understand those and can work with that.
    • No one is perfect. Perfect characters annoy me. Don't make your characters perfect. Or at least if you do, do it with someone else, not me.
    • I don't write pure fluff. All my stories will have some drama, angst, and potentially dark themes. I do respect limits, as long as you are clear with me on what they are (don't get mad at me for violating a limit you didn't tell me about- that's on you.) Don't be surprised if I ask you about your comfort level on a wide variety of topics before we get started. And no, this doesn't mean that my stories are all doom and gloom- I do like a little light-heartedness and humor. Just expect some seriousness and a few darker themes as well.

Whew. Not as short as I intended, but at least it's better than usual. Anyway, now onto what I'm interested in writing. First will be some (relatively) short prompts. These are more general ideas that are open to us doing some world-building together (for the most part.) Next are a few detailed plot ideas for which most of the world and backstory is already planned out by yours truly, so I'm looking for a more passive player to guide through my world. And finally is a (very) short fandom list. Please note that I do not do canons- these should serve as inspiration only.

Prompts:

1. Magic used to be commonplace, but was outlawed after some huge cataclysm. Any child who shows any signs of having magic is seized by the government to be "retrained." In reality, they are being killed. A group has formed an underground (figuratively and literally) school to rescue gifted kids before the government can find them and teach them how to use/control their magic. Characters could be teachers and/or (18+) students. I figure the school will have students of all ages, from elementary school age up through college age. Not a whole ton of students. A lot of them stay on as teachers once they master their magic. More of a loose organization than a strict, structured school, if you know what I mean. All details to be determined jointly [only hard rule is that this will be a historical-ish (probably medieval or victorian) setting- nothing modern or futuristic.] This will require a good amount of world building before we jump in.
    2. Typical arranged marriage idea. Prince/King of Kingdom A is to marry Princess/Queen of Kingdom B. Simple, right? Well, less so. I'd like there to be a healthy dose of political intrigue (perhaps a faction that is against the marriage, and internal uprising, a plot to overthrow the king, etc.), and perhaps outside drama too (war with a third kingdom, or the treaty breaks down and kingdoms A and B go to war with each other, throwing the princess into the middle.) I'd love to hear your thoughts on dramatic elements to throw into the story. Again, this idea will require a lot of world building before we get into it.
    3. Stereotypical adventure story. We play a band of mercenary-like adventurers who travel from place to place, going on quests for money (kill those goblins, get rid of the ghost, slay the dragon, depose the evil king, etc.) Fun, fast-paced, no long-term plot- just hoping from adventure to adventure. Also very character driven- focusing on their interactions with each other. There will be some initial world-building, but I'd like the bulk of it to take place along the way, developing each area as they get to it. Or if world-building isn't your thing, I do have a pre-created world from one of my plots that would work perfectly for this idea as well, so we could use that too.

Plots:
    Spoiler: Band of Misfits 

Spoiler: My Own Worst Enemy 

Fandoms:

• Ranger's Apprentice- Good books. Kids book, technically, but a fun, historical-ish concept. Loose inspiration only.
    • Brotherband Chronicles- Companion series to the one above mentioned. Vikings, which is always fun. Looking for story inspired by it, but improved. Nothing canon.
    • Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire- I know this is a love-it-or-hate-it sort of thing. I don't write canon. Mainly just looking for something in the same vein. Gritty, not afraid to shy away from dark topics, includes both action and political intrigue, complex political structure and character dynamics. Very character driven. The series would just be a very loose inspiration.

Well, that's all for now, folks. I may well add more later, as the inspiration strikes me. Until then, I look forward to hearing from some of you. If I didn't manage to scare you off and you're interested in one of my ideas, please shoot me a message (or post here, if you are, for whatever reason, unable to message), and I'd love to talk about it with you!
    Last edited by Ylva; 06-18-2020 at 03:51 PM.

World Creation, Survival, sci-fi, Fantasy, School
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Ylva, I checked your post and it seemed intresting for most parts. Im new here, so I also go with thread posts for a while.

Im Semegnos, and a long time world builder. I have several story idea and so far one about 100 page story of my own completed (school assignment that turned into a small book basically) oh yeah, and many many unfinished stories. Sorry for my english, im not native. Im a family man, dwelling in northern Europe. That gives me time limitations but also lots of crazy incidents that may or may not occur in my future games.

What comes to genres, I have firm history in Sci-fi and fantasy (my prior games in other platforms were almost exclysively scifi), and I used to be active console player. I may use some of that stuff as inspiration, but I have cleared lots of stuff out of my life by purpose. What comes to RP games, im quite willing to try several things. Some things that I try to avoid are magic and necromancy. I have strong opinion about those things IRL and I follow the same pattern in games. Mutants and odd creatures are fine, as long as they have some sort of explanation. (Dragons are fine, if they appear like flying dinosaurs in terms of intelligence, fire and acid breath are ok too) Also, they should be in reasonable limits of physics, so a denroid/ent running in a speed of sound or a dwarf throwing buildings is a no go. For fantasy settings, advanced chemistry is fine, like exploading bottles, early rifles and canons.

I can use characters from my writings and they can be converted into many diffrent settings and ages. Also Im open to generate lots of new characters as well.

I have seen quite eventful life so far, so im sure I can contribute lots of laughs and sorrows into stories

From your topic list, the adventure story would be easyest to arrange for me. You can also check my game thread to see some of my game ideas. Do you think these frames from my part would work with you?

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I might be interested. I tend to do a lot of high fantasy type stuff with dragons, elves, wizards, and so on... which also seems to be right up your alley from what you've posted.

Holey Paladin's armor by Haya