Thread: The Nine Jewels (Fantasy Interest Check)

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Action/Adventure, Semi-Historical
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default The Nine Jewels (Fantasy Interest Check)

Edit: OOC thread is HERE if you want the full background information, rules, character application, etc.

Alright, I know I'm an untested newbie here, yadda yadda, but I ought to let y'all know that while I'm new to the site, I'm not at all new to roleplaying (13+ years via forum, and I used to do other forms well before that.) I tend to be more of a 1x1 writer, but every once in a while I come up with an idea that is better in a group setting, and this is one of those (I mean, I offered it as a 1x1 a few times too, but I think it comes off as rather intimidating to a lot of people, so I decided that this is the best road.) Anyway, it's a long-term plot idea of mine, with a ton of world-building, a map, etc. Too much info to post here, so I'm going to be posting a proper OOC thread for that. At some point. But in the meantime I figured I'd post this thread first with some basic information, to see if there's even any interest at all for the plot before I go through the formatting and writing up the rules and all that stuff.

Important things to bear in mind, before I get started:
    • The plot will have seven main characters. One is mine. As such, I'm looking for 6 other players, max. If we have less, we can go for multiple characters per person.
    • The world evolved overtime and settled into a vaguely D&D-esque setting. That does not mean that there will be dice rolls, mechanics, etc. (unless for some reason y'all really want me to introduce a system, in which case I can. However, my intention was more freeform.) It does mean that it has various races and whatnot that are inspired by D&D, but not exactly the same.
    • There is some basic, set information for each main character. For example, each has a set magic jewel with set powers, each is from a specific location, and most have a few set options for their race (based on where they're from.) This is partially for the sake of variety- to make sure not all the characters are the same, and partially to avoid way-overblown, overpowered abilities and whatnot. Don't worry, there will still be a lot of room for customization.
    • Characters all have some sort of leadership role in their society. Suggestions for that role will be provided in basic character info (once I get it up.) You are welcome to make other suggestions, but I reserve the right to reject said suggestions if they don't fit the culture.

Whew. Alright, disclaimers out of the way, let's get into the basic plot of the story, shall we?

Ten years ago, a dark cloud hung over Emirilin. An evil cult had sprung up, in a small strip of land unclaimed by any of the bordering nations, and there were whisperings of slave trading, human sacrifice, dark magic, necromancy, and the undead. The foul influence may well have spread, had it not been for the rise of a band of unexpected heroes. They were brought together by a similar experience- the finding of a mystical jewel that granted them magical powers, as well as mysterious visions and dreams that drew them together, and led them to the threat looming over the continent. Working together, the seven destroyed the cult, then dispersed back to their homelands. Their reputations spread, however, and each eventually settled into a role as a well-respected leadership figure in their community, content that the world was now safe.

Or was it...? Now, ten years to the day from the final battle against the cult, the visions and dreams have begun again, leading them back together. A new threat is looming. Or is it really new? Some signs seem to connect back to their old enemy. Could some part of the cult have survived? Have they been building up all these years? Or is the answer something far worse? One thing is clear- they are being led towards lands unknown and dangerous, where none of them know what to expect. But with a war looming, there's more pressing danger in the south. Will they be able to stop both threats to Emirilin, or will the land be thrown into darkness?

Yeah, yeah, I know- super dramatic. But that's what makes it fun, right? Expect a complex plot with a lot of unexpected twists and turns (and take heart- some players may even get the chance to help me orchestrate said twists!) So anyway, as I said earlier, I'll be working on getting more of the background information up, but in the meantime, feel free to post here and let me know if you might be interested!
    Last edited by Ylva; 06-20-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)

I'm considering, but I will see if it will be possible for me to be active.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ooh, wow, a wild admin appeared! How interesting. And we'd love to have you, although I of course understand if you don't have time for it. Anyway, if your concern is availability, I suppose I ought to tell you my general expectations on posting time and whatnot, so that you have a better understanding of if it's feasible for you, huh? Plus that might help anyone else with similar concerns.

So first of all, there won't be any set posting order. I find that drags things out too long, especially when you have people whose availability is all over the place. So, the general hope is that everyone will post at least once a week, but more is okay too, as long as no one gets left behind (ie if one person can only post once a week and other people post 2 or maybe even 3 times, that's fine. However if other people start posting 4-5 times in a week where another member only posts once, that becomes problematic, if that makes sense.) Also, I'm not going to boot anyone for missing a week or two here or there, especially if they have a good reason (and let's be honest, being a staff member is always a good reason, 'cause I know you guys have a lot to do.) I mean, life happens, after all. If someone does miss a few posts their character might get NPC'd through some events, it action is required on their part, but otherwise absences can be explained away in various ways, so we can make it work.

Two, I do have mechanics in mind in case anyone has to leave the game, either permanently or for a temporary break. For a break that could be them getting separated from the group, or being injured/unconscious for a while, or it could mean I take over the character temporarily. Whatever works best with where the plot is. If someone leaves permanently, that will likely result in either someone else taking over their character or their character's death. But whatever the case, if anyone does have to leave the game for any length of time, I have ideas for ways to make it work without breaking the in-game continuity.

So anyway, hopefully that will give you a better idea on how things might work out, and I'll look forward to hearing your decision, whichever way you choose to go (but don't worry, there's no need to rush and make up your mind just yet- we've still got plenty of time!)

Field Cryptozoologist
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Dang, this looks pretty interesting. I'd definitely be down for this.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Could be fun, let's play! Same classes or...?
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Fantasy, SciFi, Horror
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

This looks very interesting. I'd be down to try this role play.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Hey, looks like I got some interest after all. That's awesome. I'm going to try and get the OOC background info and whatnot wrapped up sometime today or tomorrow, with any luck. I'll definitely bump this thread when I do.

But anyway, to answer your question @Enigma, there are no set classes. You can base your character on a class, if you'd like, or you can come up with your own creative mix of elements unique to your character. Just try not to go too overboard, if you know what I mean!

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

"MONGO!" Toothpick yelled over the noise of metal hammering from the next room. It got quieter.

"Boss?" the giant badger called back wistfully.
    "Ya can stand down, da boss says ya don't need all of... dat."

For a moment, there was silence, and then several crashes as bits of armor was enthusiastically thrown off.

"Thank you, boss!" he cried out.
    "Yeah, dey just want you in the Arena like that."
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Heh. I'm easy like that. Or maybe not so easy. You can be the judge of that...

By the way, OOC Thread is up with a ton​ of information, so feel free to check it out.