Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of Arcanum (OOC)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I might do a bit of a co-post with each of you, mostly dialog.

Orin is going to send people on tasks, because due to his history of being a convicted pirate and thus seen as a traitor and criminal to pretty much everyone on these airdocks he can't openly walk around without being spat on, harassed or worse.

Also I'm totally adding and claiming the Captains quarters. Cause Orin is the only one in our group that I believe has experience with airships having served on them and than piloting and captaining his own privateer vessel.
    Last edited by Denraven; 08-06-2020 at 06:17 PM.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

The Hindenberg didn't have access to helium in Germany, the only producers were Russia and the US. So they used Hydrogen out of a lack of choice.

Hydrogen definitely contributed to the Hindenberg disaster, but it's not clear that it was a leak that started it. Instead, it may have been a combination of factors. A hydrogen gas cell is full of hydrogen - without some sort of oxidizer, it can't burn conventionally. A leak jetting into the air will burn, but the lifting cells are basically rubberized sacks designed to contain the hydrogen as it's very hard to contain. It also keeps it separated from the air.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of hydrogen filled zeppelins and blimps were destroyed by gas explosions, but keep in mind that many get struck by lightning without exploding - there's just a burn spot on the outer skin of the zeppelin. The Hindenberg had been struck more than a few times.

It may have been the skin that was the problem. It was treated with dopping agents to seal the fabric - the outside dusted with aluminium to make it reflect sunlight and keep the gas inside cooler, while the inside was dusted with iron oxide. And it was electrically isolated from the frame, which was made of an aluminum alloy still used in aircraft manufacture.

The Hindenberg on its approach made a hard turn, which caused a stabilizing wire inside to break, possibly piercing one of the hydrogen lifting gas cells. The landing cables grounded the frame but not the skin, which was carrying a charge of its own. A spark between the two could have ignited the leak, which in turn could have ignited the skin - aluminium dust is very explosive.

it's possible that the builders of this zeppelin are aware of these dangers and have taken preventative measures if they didn't have a suitable supply of helium available to them.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I mean, yeah. But I'm also assuming that as magic is reintroduced in to the world, things are going to start awakening. I don't want to be flying a hydrogen filled airship around a fire-breathing dragon.

I honestly didn't think the whole getting the Helium replaced would be such a debate. I mean, I figure a few hours of fast forward-able time and we could be off.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Well, the problem remains is we have no idea if helium is even available. And I still would like to know if the ship is otherwise provisioned.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I mean it's a fantasy world, we could just make helium or even a completely different special alchemical/fantasy gas up if we were really pressed.

Field Cryptozoologist
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

@Enigma; The ship is highly provisioned. The King wants his adventurers to find the artifacts as quick as possible, so the airship is ready for them.

@Denraven; There are preventative measures for standard fires. Emphasis on standard. Helium gas is a relatively new discovery, and Gandomere does import helium, but its reserved for the ships that really need it. The King's personal airship and the warships for high ranking generals. Imagine the enemy's surprise when a Gandomerian ship didn't explode! It may be procured, but it would take quite a bit of coin and finagling from someone of higher status than a pirate and mercenary.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

So what you're saying is we need to go and pirate a merchant ship carrying Helium? Got it!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Also correct me if I am wrong, I'm imagining this ship as a small Galleon with 1 or 2 hydrogen cells instead of masts.

Field Cryptozoologist
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yes, that's pretty similar. The best way I can describe it is as basically a blimp with a ship hanging from it.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

So something like this?
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/xmPPb.jpg

Except instead of one big cell, I'm imagining 2-side by side.

I'm also imaging that along with the main crew quarters, there's a captain's quarters at the stern like what you'd see on a galleon or man-o-war, where it's got the windows and it's basically like an office of sorts.

Edit: Also I'll try to have my post up by Sunday, currently a little busy irl.
    Last edited by Denraven; 08-11-2020 at 03:00 AM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast