Thread: But what about DRAGONS?

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Recruiting But what about DRAGONS?

Wow, I'm seeing a lot of new members around lately! This is a good thing, as we could certainly use some fresh blood around here... though I know what it's like to feel anxious about jumping in to RPs with strangers. I try to be pretty friendly though, so feel free to hit me up if you're interested in any of my ideas!

With the Gold Match over, I find myself without a whole lot of things to reply to, so figured I'd post another recruitment thing. Dragons are awesome when done correctly, but I'm not specifically limited to dragon-related ideas as far as my interests go.

I think most of the older members are familiar with me by now, whether you like me or hate me. For those who don't know me, I'm a guy who used to really, really suck at writing, but through great effort, have improved my writing skills to the point where they might be considered passable. Tend to post a few paragraphs per reply, and though I went through a year-long slump as a result of relationship-related depression compounded by the meme that 2020 has become, I'm trying to knock myself out of it with some fresh stories.

I tend to write male characters as my primary character, though I might occasionally use a female secondary character. As for my interests... in addition to the obvious dragons, I like pretty much everything fantasy, as well as certain types of sci fi. The two things I typically don't like are fandom stories, and a modern Earth setting, as I hate the world that I'm forced to live in every day.

Spoiler: A more comprehensive list of keywords (taken from my blog post) 

I usually have a few more specific plot ideas swirling around in my vortex of a brain, but in order to decide which ideas to use, I need your feedback if you're interested in RP, along with what sort of character (race, archetype, etc) you'd like to RP!
    Last edited by Holeypaladin; 07-22-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Holey Paladin's armor by Haya

Field Cryptozoologist
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Howdy! This caught my eye and I thought I'd see what it is. My interests line up pretty well with yours, especially dragons. I was wondering though, do you prefer playing as the dragons, or just having them as plot pieces? I enjoy both, but playing as a dragon is a bit more fun to me.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman View Post
    Howdy! This caught my eye and I thought I'd see what it is. My interests line up pretty well with yours, especially dragons. I was wondering though, do you prefer playing as the dragons, or just having them as plot pieces? I enjoy both, but playing as a dragon is a bit more fun to me.
    Good to hear it!

I also enjoy fitting dragons into both roles... both as characters, and as villains. I tend to love the Metallic and Chromatic "True Dragon" types since they're among the most awesome, but I figure a fantasy world can be big enough to fit numerous other types of dragons and dragonkin as well, such as intelligent wyverns, longs, ryus, coatles, and Dragonborn. Also dragon knights, who are essentially mortals gifted with magic amulets that allow them to shift into dragon form.

I find the good-aligned dragons to make for better characters, since I prefer good guy protagonists over villains in my stories.

Field Cryptozoologist
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

I also like the archetypal dragon, but I like to explore other kinds of dragons as well. As far as dragonkin go, I'm particularly fond of Amphitheres, but that's just because I love a good feathered serpent.

I enjoy both sides of the good and evil spectrum. Saving the day is great, but razing towns and defeating great warriors can be just as fun. I'm totally down to be a protector of the realm or any other good-aligned role you have in mind though.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

The Amphithere I'm familiar with is basically a legless snake with bat wings from European heraldry such as this:
    Spoiler: Amphithere 

Though I suppose the Quetzecoatl from Aztec mythology is pretty similar, but with feathered wings instead of bat wings. It's pretty interesting how different sorts of mythology from around the world all have some sort of dragon-like creature.

Anyway, we can totally work on a story involving good dragons protecting the world from evil dragons! Any ideas in particular? The first thing that comes to mind for me is the "Dragon rider" type plot involving a knight and a dragon as the main characters.

Field Cryptozoologist
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Not much off the top of my head, but I do have an idea of dragon bounty hunters, tracking down other dragons so they can add to their hoards.

Though the more I think about it, the more I'm coming to enjoy the dragon rider idea.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil_Hugger; 07-30-2020 at 10:35 PM.