Thread: What book would you produce the screen adaptation for if money were no object?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Default What book would you produce the screen adaptation for if money were no object?

If you want to list a series of books or some other medium like graphic novels, web comics, etc., instead - feel free! If you want to, share what you like about it and why you want to adapt it.

If I could pick a YA series to produce it would be the Modern Tale of Faerie trilogy by Holly Black. The first time I saw a friend reading one of them, I teased her mercilessly. She challenged me to read it and then judge, and I now own the original water-logged copy that has been on a few adventures and an author-signed copy of Tithe along with the rest of the set. Aside from the nostalgia, it is an interesting story and would make a dark, gritty, magical adaptation if well done. It seems also like the kind of film that might encourage people who are not such fans of reading to read them.

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

Dark Lord of the Gif
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

The Honorverse, would probably aim for this one to be a TV series.

I once started trying to adapt the ice wind dale trilogy into a movie script.

There are a number of Heinlein stories that would make good movies. In today's political climate The Moon is a Harsh Mistress immediately comes to mind. But a book accurate Starship Troopers would be great.

If budget is no concern than I'd like to start GoT over and so it right. All the characters, all the dragons, all the places.
    Spoiler: Cuteness 

Wanna laugh at a drunken fool? Click Here!
    Watch me Stream or catch old streams here

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

The Warriors series by Erin Hunter. It'd be interesting to see the cats go through CGI. But, one would have to be careful to not make the same mistake that Disney made with the 2019 remake of The Lion King, and make the emotions actually appear on the characters' facial expressions.

knockout pout Aurelia Courville's Avatar
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    urban fantasy, mystery/suspense, crime
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anything Peter Clines has written but Exheros would probably be the most interesting. Zombies and superheros? Costume heaven

Military, Slice of Life, Anime Fandoms
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Not 100% sure.
    But it would be anime style.
    Featuring Carly McKillip, Gunner Wright, Elias Toufexis, Amanda Lee, and others.
    "Good men mean well, we just don't always end up doing well."

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

George Takei's graphic novel They Called Us Enemy, which talks about when his family got put into an internment camp during WW2.

Barbara Hambly's Those Who Haunt The Night, about a turn of the last century Oxford Professor and formerly a spy for the Crown, who's been hired to find out who is killing the vampires of London. How she tackles vampirism is different.

John Moore's Heroics for Beginners is a fun fantasy parody. So his other books, like The Unhandsome Prince and Bad Prince Charlie. But really, it's not for kids.

Jim Hine's series Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, after a disease kills half of us and turn the rest into nigh unstoppable feral killing machines, we get rescued by the Krakau, an alien race who've discovered a cure that at least returns our intelligence. Almost all the rescued humans join the Earth Mercenary Corps, but Marion they made into a janitor. While cleaning up a hazardous spill, they discover that some different strain of the disease has struck, killing almost all the aliens and reverting the humans back into their feral state - leaving her in change. The galaxy's about to learn that these janitors you don't want to mess with.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

historical, fantasy, dystopian, superpowers/gifted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The Arc of a Scythe trilogy. It's so so good. It's relatively recent, though, which is possibly one of the main reasons why it hasn't been made into a movie series. I'm sure it will happen eventually. Most of these popular YA series are and this one even has philosophical themes that even adult readers can enjoy. It just doesn't feel as "juvenile" as most YA series, if that makes sense?

Military, Slice of Life, Anime Fandoms
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

World War Z, but do it properly this time.
    "Good men mean well, we just don't always end up doing well."