View Poll Results: Which OC option would you prefer to roleplay?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Life and Times of Jane Austen (1775 - 1817)

0 0%
  • The French Revolution (1789 -1799)

2 66.67%
  • The Age of Reason & The First Industrial Revolution (1685 - 1840)

1 33.33%

Thread: |M| {The Novel of Bad Manners} |OC|

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Recruiting |M| {The Novel of Bad Manners | Cake or Death} |OC|

Prepare for a tale taller than the most chic of wigs! Burn your guidebooks and grab your grain sacks for The Novel of Bad Manners, Chapter 1: Cake or Death! Unrest has floured into all-out riot as the French Revolution of 1789 to 1799 has risen up from famine across France. Years of poor grain yield and relentless taxation from the clergy and the bourgeoisie have baked a deep sense of desparation and resentment into the proletariat that live near subsistence. The King's predecessor treated the fighting Americans, among others, to a taste of French generosity that has left the royal coffers with mere crumbs. Far from Paris to the southeast of Lyon, the Day of the Tiles in Grenoble on June 7, 1788, in which parliamentarians are battered by roofing tiles for their half-baked efforts in supporting the needs of the people has finally burnt the bottoms of the indignant peasantry to set them in action.

In great cities like Paris, women and cross-dressers spill into the streets clamouring for relief from unjust taxes and patisserie parity to alleviate the hunger of their families and communities. Despite efforts of the royals to enact reform, their levity only serves to allow their less savoury advisors, merchants, and clergy to continue to pepper the populace with unreasonable pressure to provide precious grains to assuage the pangs of shortage that the crown and other members of the noblesse are also beginning to feel in earnest.

The bourgeouise, hearts harder than the blackest bread, refuse to hear the people's cries for justice. After a very serious tennis court affair that involved a great deal of swearing, we find our story opening outside of the Bastille on the morning of July 14, 1789. The fires of revolution are being stoked to new heights. For three days, residents of the city have been positively toasting the customs offices which collect taxes to vent their ire as they search to acquire arms and food. The former Estates-General have begun to take on more layers than a gateau de mille-feuilles. The icing on the cake? Angry, revolutionary-minded citizens have surrounded the prison where rumours of massacres and other dark conspiracies have been circulating, shouting their disapproval at the King's recent silence and the continued power abuses and hunger running rampant.

Deep within Versailles, the typically accessible King Louis XVI has angrily dismissed his sole non-noble advisor, Henry Necker, in the wake of the changing of the Estates-General he convened to help alleviate the people's suffering into the new National Constituent Assembly. Though nobles at court and a few select members of the clergy, academia, and other tradesmen have been allowed to trickle in and out of the once glittering court; the commoners who have begun to overstep the representative powers he has given to them begin to force his hand.

Though impossible to know what may yet come: dough not despair! Petitioned for help by an old friend, Denis Francois, a Parisian baker; Charles Messier and his friend and assistant Pierre Mechain have found themselves waiting for the man here outside the Bastille to discuss the growing unrest in the city and some outlandish claims the generally reasonable Francois has made about bakeries being ransacked late at night. To make matters worse, some of the millers that supply the city's flour have also been vanishing, putting the already embroiled bakers between a rock and a hard place. Can the two scholars, along with the help of unexpected allies in high places and low, uncover the roots of the trouble crumbling the infrastructure of the city itself before the city's bread supply dissipates entirely and the country erupts into all-out warfare?

~*~ Timelines ~*~

Age of Reason: 1685 - 1815
    Georgian Era: 1714 - 1830
    Age of Enlightenment: 1715 - 1789
    Classical Era: 1750 - 1820
    First Industrial Revolution: 1760 - 1840
    Romantic Period: 1770 - 1837
    Jane Austen: 1775 - 1817
    French Revolution: 1789 - 1799

~*~ Lignees | Bloodlines ~*~

Spoiler:  

~*~ The Cliques ~*~

Spoiler:  

~*~ P's & Q's ~*~

Spoiler: {Approved Character List} 
    Spoiler: {Rules} 
    Spoiler: {Character Sheet} 
    Spoiler: {Updates} 
    Last edited by Alura; 10-19-2020 at 04:35 AM.

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

Domina Noctis
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Viva la revolution!

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A little mood music for your waiting pleasure:

Don't forget to cast your vote in the poll if you think you might like to play!

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Lol I'm a ditz I didn't see the poll.

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I suppose I could have made that clearer, apologies, haha!

The Invisible One
    Superhero; Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Hmmm, I'm torn. I can't pick between The Life and Times of Jane Austen and The French Revolution.

Which one do you wanna do, Alura? Or are you equally in favor of all three?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I don't want to sway the voting, but I feel prepared to do any of them. To be honest, if it's enjoyable for everyone I'll probably try to kick up an OC for whichever doesn't float later down the line. So there are no wrong answers!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

{Update}

{13.10.2020}

The current vote sits in favour of The French Revolution (1789 - 1799). If there are no other votes and this remains the same by this weekend, then my goal is to have an amended synopsis up by Monday, October 19, 2020!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

{Update}

{18.10.2020]

The OP is revised and {The Novel of Bad Manners | Cake or Death} is now open for character submissions! Please let me know if you have any corrections or questions! My list of plot-impacting characters is under the {Accepted Characters} section if you wish to look at it. If you want to play one of the people who appear there, don't lose your head! Feel free to PM me as most of them are negotiable! If you prefer to find out who may pop up along the way organically and want to avoid peeking at the list, you can also PM me directly with any historical/literary figures for a yea or nay on whether they've been earmarked. Now get your bundts moving and come Carmagnole with the investigative astronomers Messier & Mechain!