Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise of Sun and Moon [IC] [M] (ADN&Moonlit_Fae)

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, SciFi, Horror
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Fantasy Rise of Sun and Moon [IC] [M] (ADN&Moonlit_Fae)

The bow was heavy in her hand as she held the string back, trying to find her target on the large beast. She was in perfect position. The woman dare not move a muscle until she was sure she had the best target on the over sized buffalo. This kill would feed her people for months. Winter was coming and food was already scarce in this remote part of the world.

Steady now, she thought to herself as she closed one eye and locked onto the buffalo's head. Gently she let go of the string and the arrow buzzed through the air. It soared true and struck right into the eye of the beast. A loud thud came about as the large animal fell and the dust came up into the air. Rayna never had to worry about her arrows, they always seemed to land where she intended. Hunting was one of the natural talents she had and she was not sure why. That's why the village people relied on her. Rayna was also strange in that she hunted alone and in the middle of the night.

The woman did not know why she was more alive and alert at night when the moon was high in the blackened sky. She just felt a natural pull to the night and usually found comfort in her midnight strolls through the forest. Being awake during the day was draining for her. But at night she flourished. She liked to see the shadow side of things. The underbelly of reality that most creatures never saw. This was pure happiness for her.

Rayna marked the tree near where the dead buffalo lay. She would inform the other villagers where to retrieve the kill. That's usually how it worked. She would slay prey in the middle of the night and the others would come and collect. It was a wonderfully symbiotic relationship. Rayna did not have to come into contact with the people and she still earned her place in the village that had never fully accepted her.

Her night ended by the giant lake with an ancient oak overseeing the land. Rayna always felt a natural pull to the water. This was where she came to release her troubles from the day. Rayna walked waist deep into the water, gentle ripples spilling out from her disturbing the peaceful water. She raised her hands and the water came to life, flowing to where she willed it. It was not that she had water magic, it was more like she could influence and control water as the moon does the tides. She never understood this natural ability, but was thankful to have it.

She guided the water over the scrapes on her upper right arm. Rayna remembered the failed sparring match from the day. She was not good with fighting. Her strength was with emotional warfare , not physical. She hoped one day she would be strong enough to take on her enemies. For now she settled with healing her physical wounds and bruised ego.

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

It was early morning the sun hadn't rose yet but still a young woman with bright red hair walked through the woods. She was wearing a green long sleeve shirt and a long brown dress that reached her ankles. Under the dress she had a pair of fur lined boots. On her back there was a long wooden staff and hunting knife was on her belt. Kiran had always been a early riser, often up before the sun was. She loved sitting and watching it come up. It always felt like she was stronger when it was floating above her. Kiran hated the winter which was fast approaching, when it was so cold and the sun spent most of the day sleeping. Those days Kiran found herself lazy and sleeping more. As she walked she past an apple tree she reached up plucking a ripe green one. Without breaking step she pulled out her knife and cut a slice popping it in her mouth. It was bitter with just a hint of sweetness and perfectly crisp. “Oh gods that's good.” Kiran said, cutting off another piece.

As she walked she just enjoyed nature, she could feel the sun starting to rise, you couldn't see it yet but she could feel the energy coursing through her. A short distance ahead of her she saw a buffalo laying on the ground before her with arrow stuck in its eye. When she was right next to it she knelt down looking at the arrow, her fingers bushed against the feathers recognizing one of Rayna's arrows. The other woman was so much better than her at making arrows, they always seemed perfect while Kiran's looked like they were made by a six year old. “This is a good size beast it should keep the village feed for a while.” Kiran said, aloud. They both helped around the village wherever they could. Kiran wasn't as good at hunting as Rayna so she helped protect the village from bandits. It wasn't often they came around with the village being so remote. Most often it was when bandits were traveling somewhere else and stumbled across the village. When that happens they met Kiran and regretted it.

Gently stroking her hand across the beast's head she whispered a quick blessing to Solveig thanking the beast for it's sacrifice. She stood and started on her walk again. She had just finished her apple when she reached the lake, it was her favorite place around the village and she frequently came here to watch the sun rise and meditate. At the edge of the water she drew her staff before getting a running start then skipped across several stones. When she reached about the sixth stone the next one was too far away to reach and she held her staff out ahead of her sticking it in the divot in the rock. She used it and the staff to flip off the stone she was on then over to a larger rock. She was now a good forty feet into the lake. Kiran put her staff back in it's case then sat down on the rock cross legged, facing east. She closed her eyes for a while getting lost in meditation.

At least until she felt the first few rays of the sun hitting her face. She smiled and opened her eyes feeling the sun's energy pour into her. That was when she decided to practice her magic. Nearly her whole life she had been learning fire magic though it wasn't until a few months ago when she started creating her own fire. She hadn't quite gotten it down yet, hence why she was out here on the lake. She couldn't accidentally set fire to something. Kiran snapped the fingers on her left hand annoyed when nothing happened. She tried it several more times then on the eighth try a small flame appeared above her index finger. A smile came to her face as she tossed the flame from finger to finger.

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

Fantasy, SciFi, Horror
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Rayna had not realized she had fallen asleep under the light of the moon until she felt the sun's rays upon her cheeks. Most people enjoyed sunlight and the feel of the warmth upon their skin, but to Rayna it felt like fire. She preferred the cool touch of moonlight upon her skin. Bright sunny days were her enemy and made her feel drained. Rayna was only happy to be out during the day at sunset. Or when the weather was cloudy or rainy. That way the sun could never reach her.

As the woman sat up her many twisted braids shook about as she gained her realignment to reality. Her hair was such a light blonde it almost appeared silver. Her normally bright pale skin looked dusty and drained during the day. Her complexion was healthy and shiny only during night hours. Rayna slowly stood and grabbed her bow and quiver, slinging both of them over her back. She was going to start the trudge back to the village until her ears picked up some noise.

Rayna's ocean blue eyes, as clear as crystal water, took in the sight of Kiran practicing her fire magic by the lake. The same lake that she was drawn to and loved. It was strange to see it during the day reflecting the sunrise. A small smile came to her lips and her heart began to beat faster. Rayna was always happy to see Kiran. She was just like her, an orphan kept from the village. Rayna respected Kiran so much. The woman was everything she wasn't. Headstrong, confident, strong, brave, and a true warrior. Everything Rayna strived to be. On the other hand Rayna was reserved, gentle, observant, and unassuming. A true loner. Rayna would never be her equal, but that didn't stop her from strongly admiring this red headed fire cracker of a woman.

Rayna was not going to disturb Kiran, but she felt a natural pull to the woman like the moon does to the Earth. Rayna was always silent with her movement and usually snuck up on others, without even intending to. It was like she was a shadow that moved easily.

"Hey, your fire magic is getting stronger." Was all that she could think to say. She hoped she didn't sound like an idiot.

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

About an hour had passed and Kiran had lost track of time. She had moved from bouncing a small flame between her fingers to holding a ball of flame between her hands. It had started out the size of a marble and now was close to the size of a small watermelon. Kiran's attention was completely on the flame ball. She didn't notice anything else around her especially Rayna walking up to the shore. It wasn't until the other woman spoke that she knew she was there. Kiran was startled and dropped the flame ball in her lap. It singed her skirt a little before she brushed it away from her into the water. The damage to her skirt was normal, most of her clothes had small burnt marks on them from her practicing. Kiran usually had a smell of ash on her. Her magic ability allowed her to touch fire without getting burnt unless she was exposed to a large amount but it didn't always protect her clothes. Zephyr told her with practice she would be able to but that seemed to be Zephyr's answer to everything.

She looked down to the steam rising from the water glad she had started training over the water. Her first response to being startled lead her to reach for her staff. Zephyr yelled at her all the time not to reach for her magic first that it was only meant to be used when needed. She paused seeing Rayna standing there a smile coming to her face. Standing up she did draw her staff using it to jump back across the rocks so she standing right before Rayna. “I've been studying.” She said, glad to see the other woman. Aside from her guardian she was the only person in the village that she got along with. They didn't see each other too often most of the time it was at dusk or dawn. “I need to work on my control a bit more. You went hunting last night. I saw the buffalo, took it down with only one arrow. Good job I would have need at least six and Gregor gets made if there are too many holes in the pelt.”

We Are Warriors

Fantasy, SciFi, Horror
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

"That may be true but hunting is not as useful as your warrior skills. I see how you fight in the ring. Your strength is admirable. I hope I can be as strong as you one day." She said with a slight blush upon her cheeks. "I know we have different schedules with our lessons and guardians, but would you train me one day ? Ishtar trains me in defensive tactics. I think she is over protective of me. Sometimes I wish she wasn't always keeping a close eye on me." Rayna realized she was rambling again. It was hard not to want to over share and talk when one was isolated to much. "Sorry, Ishtar also says I talk too much sometimes. I'm working on it..."

Just like that as if speaking of her made her appear. An older woman in her mid-40's and somewhat portly came from the tall grasses surrounding the lake. Her hair was a fiery red with streaks of silver running through it, showing her age. Ishtar's eyes were a deep emerald green that matched her simple dress. She was barefoot as always. Her body decorated with multiple tattoos. Mostly of constellations and depictions of the old gods, mainly Solveig and Lucina.

"There you are child. You were due back by dawn. We missed reading the dawn charts. We are due at council. I need to warn them, something is coming."

Rayna rolled her eyes, embarrassed by Ishtar. Rayna wasn't one to believe in their religion. "Sorry I got lost in nature out here. It won't happen again." She lied.

Ishtar just tapped her foot in the ground impatiently. "I know better than that child no need to lie." Ishtar finally noticed Kiran. "Oh hello Kiran how are you doing ?"

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

“As much as I love sparing, I think I rather eat. Zephyr makes these amazing little meat balls with a spicy sauce.” Kiran thinking that apple wasn't enough breakfast and she was still hungry. “I would love to spar with you. Maybe we could steal some time tonight around dusk?” It seemed both Zephyr and Ishtar kept their schedules pretty full. Kiran knew Zephyr was preparing her from something but she never really said what, she was starting to believe Zephyr didn't even know. Being blessed by the gods is a mysterious thing, and the gods do things their own way, ours is not the place to ask why but to trust the gods. Kiran thought of a saying Zephyr was fond of using whenever she asked why.

Kiran looked up seeing Ishtar was walking up to them, looking for Rayna saying something about a warning. Ishtar and Rayna practiced divination, a skill Kiran never had any talent in and didn't put much stock in it. She believe she was in control of her own destiny and stars, bones, tea leaves or whatever couldn't decide what her future was. Zephyr had tired to explain that divination wasn't an exact science that it was fluid but Kiran felt it was an excuse for when you were wrong. "Oh hello Kiran how are you doing?" Ishtar asked her.

“Well, ma'am.” Kiran said, recalling her manners that Zephyr was always drilling into her.

“Good, good, Zephyr was looking for you. She seemed a little upset you decided to wander off.” Ishtar said.

Kiran nodded, she had known she was supposed to be studying runes right now but hadn't wanted to so she had gone to the lake to practice her fire magic. No doubt she would be scolded later and given extra chores but at the time it sounded like a good idea. She walked back to the temple with Ishtar and Rayna mostly letting the other two talk. When they reached the temple Zephyr was standing on the steps with her arms crossed a disapproving look on her face. “It seems you've found your ward and mine. Kiran you know we have rune study first thing in the morning. Where were you?”

“Down by the lake practicing my fire magic. I'm getting better I was able to summon a fire ball this big.” Kiran said, holding her hands up mimicking the size of the ball. She had been struggling with fire magic and hoped the that revelation would temper Zephyr's mood.

“I told you practice was what you needed but we have schedules for a reason.” Zephyr said, taking Kiran by the arm and leading her to the gardens in the back of the temple sitting her down at a sand table and handing her a writing stick. “Now lets see if you were paying attention. How well you do will determine how long you spend polishing the altar. Draw a Louran rune.”

We Are Warriors

Fantasy, SciFi, Horror
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

The promsie of a spar with Kiran pulled at her emotions trilling it with excitment and passion. Ishtar never really let her test herself. Her spars were always calculated and only moves that were approved for females by the old religion. For when men were gone and women had to protect the village. Kiran showed those ways of thinking were wrong though. She was a strong female and her fighting skills and prowess were unlike anything she had ever scene. If she could just get one sparring match in with her, she was sure she would learn more than a lifetime of defensive drills.

"Th-thank you.." Rayna stammered out, her eyes averting for a moment. She didn't know why she always felt so unsure about herself around Kiran. It was like she wanted to impress her or something. She made her flustered. It was probably because she just wanted to prove her worthiness to someone. The strongest person in the village seemed like a start. "I will meet you in the hidden arena Ishtar has for me. I am sure you know of it. Just behind the storage hut for hunting gear. 5 miles south. It is a simple dirt circle near the creek. Ishtar has never let me into the main arena yet."

That was when Ishtar had come and spoken to the two of them. Now they were being dragged off by her guardian back to the village temple. Zephyr also seemed testy with Kiran. It brought a small smile to her face to know the guardians had trouble keeping an eye on them. They were not children anymore. It was time for a change, the next phase in their young adult lives.

Rayna was silent with her thoughts until they got to the grand hall. It was one of the only ornate buildings within the village. It was a long and rectangular building with guards all around it. Inside where were the elders met daily. When the doors were open that was where village meetings took place.

Now Rayna was being rushed through the door by Ishtar since they were late for their meeting. Soon they were before the blacony that seated the elders at a long oak table. Their dias was above the antechamber where Ishtar and Rayna stood, forced to look up at them. The elders were from the old family line. There were always two males and two femals, for balance. When an elder died, the next of kin would take their place. If the lineage faded out, only someone who could trace their lineage of at least 5 generations within the village could take a seat and start a new blood dynasty of elders. A power Rayna would never get to have because she was a bastard orphan.

Ishtar bowed and then smacked Rayna on the arm. She rolled her eyes and then bowed as well. A loud voice boomed within the room, reverberating their bones. "Now tell me Ishtar why you have wasted our time. The meeting was to start 15 minutes ago. This better be good." The voice belonged to a woman with mocha colored skin wrapped in buffalo furs. Her eyes were milky white for she was blind, but she had an intricate carved staff. She was bald and two large bone earrings hung from her ears.

Ishtar stood again and met the woman's eyes, even though she could not see. "Mother Elder Aurelia I have come to warn of change. Bad change for our village. We have hidden long enough from the modern world, but the new Gods will soon be at our doorstep. The skies have shown me new constellations forming, going to snuff out the constellation of our Gods if we do not do anything. We need to bring in more worshippers and prepare for battle. The war for devotion will not happen in the sky. It will happen here on our own lands. Our blood will feed our crops if we do not do something. I think Rayna and Kiran play a part.."

Aurelia lifted her hand to silence Ishtar. "The world has always changed around us. I do not fear the tides turning. We shall remain as always. Constant like the water that flows and changes. Our defenses are strong and we can hold our own."

Ishtar shook her head, her voice pleading. "Please do not push off this warning. My whole life has been to serve our Gods as a messenger. I interpert the ways in which they speak to us from the spirit realm. Did you know the Sun and Moon Gods have abandoned their posts? We know not where they are. Those are our strongest Gods, without them we face peril."

The meeting was not over yet as a male spoke up. His name was Tan and he was a very tall and slim scholarly looking man. He wore simple blue robes tied with a red belt. His hair was blonde and pulled back in a tight pony tail. His features were sharp like a birds. Atop his nose were thin framed glasses that his green eyes looked out of. "Aurelia, let's not push off these words so easily. My spies have also seen things."

Ishtar felt a calm come over her that at least her warning had reached one of the elders. "Father Elder Tan thank you."

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Sitting at the sand table it felt like hours had gone by but really they hadn't even been there an hour. Kiran had drawn every rune Zephyr had thrown at her not missing a single one however the guardian was a perfectionist. She found some sort of fault with each one. Kiran was hoping the lesson would be over soon, she was reaching the point where she rather be polishing the alter. She was saved by a runner coming up to them. “Lady Zephyr the council has requested your presence.” The runner said, pausing to catch his breath. The temple was a fair distance out of the village.

“What can it be now?” Zephyr said, turning to Kiran, “Keep drawing your runes. I want to to draw the whole Oran series and if you finish before I get back start of the alter.”

“Lady Zephyr they want both you and Kiran.” The runner said, a little venom in his voice. He was still bitter from several years ago when Kiran had been in school with the other village children. He had been teasing Rayna and Kiran had stepped in. A fight had broken out, when the teacher had been able to pull them apart the runner had a broken arm. Kiran had been asked not to come back after that.

“Fine.” Zephyr said, dismissing the runner and heading toward the stables. Kiran followed behind wondering why they were being summoned and if it had anything to do with Ishtar's vision or whatever it had been. She hated going to council meeting they were always so boring. The council was a group of self important people who thought they knew everything. That was the problem with bloodline, they thought they were better than everyone else.

On horse back it only took them a couple minutes to ride to the council hall. They tided the horses up outside and entered. Kiran was sure to bow in unison with Zephyr then waited for the council to address them. “Zephyr, we have been told by Ishtar that trouble is coming what have you seen?” A middle age woman with dark black hair said. The woman had a look of someone who was well off. Bijou was a member of the richest family in town, they made a living in exports. If you didn't take your goods yourself you paid their family to do it. Kiran never liked the woman. She was arrogant.

“Divination isn't my skill, I trust Ishtar's readings. Though I have felt the winds stirring.” Zephyr said.

“She believes a war is coming.” A young voice said, Kiran looked to a young boy barely looking to be ten years old. He was the newest member of the council, having only sat on it for a few months. His grandfather held the seat before him until his death. The previous council member only had daughter so the seat went to the oldest grandson. “Kiran do you feel we are ready for a war?”

“Father Haldan, I am always ready for a fight.” Kiran said, feeling strange calling such a young child father.

“There is a difference between confidence and cockiness.” Bijou said, “I fear you suffer from the latter. Ishtar do you have more for us than cryptic warnings?”

We Are Warriors

Fantasy, SciFi, Horror
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Ishtar had held her breath as they questioned Zephyr about her thoughts on the divinations. She was thankful to the woman for trusting in her readings. The meeting seemed to be half and half right now. The toughest would be to convinve Bijou. She held the most status among all of them considering her family's business. The other might speak up now, but if Bijou gave the final word this threat would be squashed and the village doomed.

Ishtar bowed again to show respect to the new elder who addressed her. She then stood tall and let her eyes meet hers. "Mother Bijou I have the messages that the gods have given us. Not to mention the prophetic dreams that led Zephyr and myself to raise Kiran and Rayna here. These two play a role and we must hede the warnings of our Gods. That is all the evidence that I have. That and my word and the many years of servitutde I have given with loyalty and honesty." She hoped that would be enough to convince her.

Tan spoke up next. "Bijou my spies have reported a new army forming. They have been scouting the outskirts of our magical barriers. I fear we do not have much time before we are discovered. We should at least send out scouts to check the situation out. Placate Ishtar in at least that, let's send Kiran and Rayna on this mission. They have earned that much at least. Now that they are of age they need to serve the village in better ways."

Rayna stayed silent during all of this. She was stunned to hear Ishtar speak of her upbringing. She never knew how she came to be in this village. All she knew was that she was in a basket floating in the lake underneath the full moon. Her cries had called to Ishtar in the night and she had rescued her. The rest was history. Rayna was excited to possibly be proving her worth and going on a mission with Kiran.

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

It took all her strength not to shout for joy right there. They were finally being allowed to do something. No more day after day of training. All these years in the village preparing for whatever was coming. Kiran hadn't been born here, she knew that from the stories Zephyr had told her. The young monk had been traveling through the Forlan desert when she came across a lioness. It had been strange the lioness didn't seem to be threatening, and had been alone. Which was strange as lionesses hunted in packs. It had taken a while to realize the lioness wasn't stalking her but instead leading her. Following the beast Zephyr found a basket abandoned in the desert with Kiran in it. She took the child knowing she wouldn't survive alone in the desert. Then dreams had led her to the village.

“Very well, at least it will get them out of our hair for a while. Tan provide them with your maps. You will leave this afternoon and will have four days to gather whatever information you can about these forces.” Bijou said, still not convinced of the threat but not ready to dismiss it either. Her family had always been skeptical of Zephyr and Ishtar's claims of the two girls. “At no time are you to make contact with these forces if you locate them. We don't want you accidentally leading them back to us. You are dismissed.” She waved her hand gesturing for them to leave.

Zephyr didn't need to urge Kiran to leave as the young woman spun on her heels meaning to run from the room. She was stopped by her guardian who reminded her to bow to the elders before leaving. After that she let the young woman leave. Once outside Kiran let out her cheer of joy, she ran over to her horse and jumped on the back of the animal. She reared the animal up on it's hind legs the horse feeling her excitement. Kiran was about to ride back to the temple when she noticed Rayna walk out of the hall. She looked around only seeing Zephyr's horse and realized they must have walked. “Do you want a ride back?” Kiran said, holding her hand out.

We Are Warriors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast