Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diplomacy-Based RP?

The Invisible One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Superhero; Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Default Diplomacy-Based RP?

For several months now I've been toying with the idea of a roleplay centered around diplomacy. Basically, we would play as leaders of separate factions and have to achieve personal goals by interacting with the other leaders. Establish trade agreements, declare wars, assassinate rivals, all that fun stuff.

Depending on what people would want to do, we could do a historical setting in the middle-ages(Or something on those lines), or we could use a fictional setting, whether an already established one, or if we make up our own world.

This would be a more strategic roleplay. Instead of writing the nitty-gritty details of what happens in specific situations, we would be playing in a more birds-eye view of everything. I'm still working on a few details of how exactly it would work, but if anyone is interested and wants to help me iron out a few more things, that would be cool.

Let me know if this sounds interesting to you!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

So more or less a nation-building rp just not focusing solely on total war?

Thank you to Alice for making my sig and avi <3

Spoiler:  

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Or perhaps a royal court with two or three conspiracies already running, and the players are left to pick at the threads to try and advance their own interests...?

If this is to be a PvP element to this game, I would recommend that it is very carefully GM’d and has well-defined rules - that way if one writer outplays another, they don’t feel like it happened unfairly.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

I was thinking that last night actually, it might be all of us on the council of a kingdom and having to do certain jobs. But we'll need to wait for Infrared to get back to us Either way I'm down

Spoiler:  

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Agreed! Either would be enjoyable, but rules of engagement are useful~

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

The Invisible One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Superhero; Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yeah, I've thought about a game where we play as members of a high council of one government, and that's something I'd totally be down to run too. If you guys are interested, which idea would you want to do more? Individual empire/kingdoms/whatever, or everyone is a member of the same council?

PVP is definitely something we need to consider. If it's Empire VS Empire, I think PVP would be a big part of that, and we would for sure need some good structured rules. If it's a single high council, there would still be a part of PVP, but I think that would be a lot more happening in dialogue. Obviously that would still need rules too.

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Well...I play Crusader Kings 3 so I understand for both ways it can be done.

So the high council would be made up of nobility right? Well noble houses would have rivalries and their own lands so small scale fights and duels might break out. Maybe, for example, Alura's character is a Dutchess ruling her own Dutchy, my character might be the child and hier of a powerful Duke or something. At least that's how I see the council way of doing things

Spoiler:  

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I like both ideas, honestly. We've jokingly ad-libbed the Ottoman-Couch Alliance in Downtown, so I think doing a proper version of that could be fun, haha. But you've all touched on the pro's and con's already, I think.

Country v. country with ruling factions would give more overt options like outright war, etc., in addition to covert activities that run the risk of being exposed. We could potentially be a bit crueler to one another without the common interests of a Council - unless we were in league/had signed some sort of convention. Which we'd totally never break. Really, you can trust me. Probably. The society/culture/kingdom/policy building of this appeals to me to see what everyone comes up with within the same framework/rules, but on a smaller scale we can still do that with a High Council/House system.

Would it be easier to GM a High Council in the sense that the lore of the game is linear for each of us in the overall context of the history of the country and a set pool of resources/power to be had? More cloak and dagger definitely, but if the council is meeting regularly we shouldn't have an issue with bumping into each other.

Did you have a preference of GMing between the two, Infrared?

P.S. - May we just say, your lands are looking very attractive these days. *insert Duchess-y chortling*

P.S.S. - Nobles circling an Heir Apparent could also be fun, which might be more in line with what Az mentioned also. Not just inter-family drama, but gunning for a throne. And shiny crowns. And jewels. And furs. Or so I hear that's how some people behave.
    Last edited by Alura; 09-30-2020 at 05:13 PM.

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Actually I could see you being more the Spymaster if we did the grand council thing Alura

Spoiler:  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast