Thread: Ebert and the Mysterious Encounters and Finds

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Ebert and the Mysterious Encounters and Finds

There was a man, who had eight friends. One was a friend still from his childhood, four he had met where he worked, two were his neighbors. And there was one friend who showed up when this man, Ebert, found himself on a curious adventure.

Ebert was sent to a neighboring community to open a new branch, with those four co-workers who were his friends, for the business they worked for. This community was a little distant, tucked in a valley that did not have it on any route going further, and neither Ebert nor his friends had ever been there. But the supervisor who sent them had lived there for a short while, many years ago. He talked about that community fondly.

The branch opening up in Winding Downs was for those workers to assemble and distribute the Perpetual Assistance desktop storing and cleaning units. Ebert and those with him, Lenny, Roger, Terry, and Dan, had long hours there, but during the work week they were housed in a company building with each having their own suite. But the manager there started watching Ebert very carefully.

Ebert knew his job, and he did it well enough, in the process of assembling, and when he was managing the distribution, especially so when he realized he was being watched closely. At length, when nothing was changing, Ebert saw no resolution which he really desired would come without him going to the manager to confront him about his careful monitoring.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The manager, Jordan, surprised Ebert when he said, "I saw posters of a wanted felon, and your face looks like what was shown on them. I looked at your employment history, I don't see any problems in it suggesting that you are that felon with an alternate identity, and you show you are a good worker. But I want to be very careful, that I am not fooled by those things. If you were this felon, I want to be able to catch that, so that you would be turned in."

Ebert did not have anything to say, other than he really was Ebert, after all. But he went away after that thinking that the manager's explanation meant he had not excluded the idea that Ebert was really that wanted man.

At the end of that work day, Ebert went to Lenny, Roger, Terry, and Dan and told them there was a felon loose that looked like Ebert, but was someone else, but their manager Jordan was suspicious of him because of this.

"Well," said Lenny, "if that felon gets caught, you would be in the clear. It may be more likely if you and some of us helping you would look so as to find him, to have him caught. If he is in this area, we just need to find the one looking like you in the area."

Ebert answered, "I will have to go ask Jordan where the posters were seen. Then when we have the name of that felon, maybe one of you can go to the police station, without me so I am not mistaken for him, asking where he was seen last. You don't have to ask more, but we could then know if he is likely here in Winding Downs."

Jordan, the manager, had not left. Ebert caught up with him and asked him, "Where were the posters you saw of the wanted felon you thought might be me?"

"The one I remember seeing last just before seeing you was at city hall. Even though you are not him as you say, the face is just like yours."

"Well, it isn't me, and I never have been in trouble with the law. But thanks, I should know about the posters."

Ebert turned to go, still feeling sure Jordan was watching after him as he left. When he came again to the corner, where Lenny, Roger, Terry, and Dan were waiting. "There are posters of the felon at city hall. We should go there."

They went to the city hall of Winding Downs. The city was really small, the building of city hall here was small likewise, not much more than a modest house. As they wandered in, the four looked to the walls to see any posters. There notices of all kinds. Then Ebert spotted a face on one, and coming near he saw it was like his.

Ebert walked all the way up to the poster. There were just very small differences in features from what he would expect looking at his reflection. The face in the poster wore his hair rather differently with it combed down over his forehead, Ebert didn't have a shirt like that one in the poster, either. Ebert motioned to his friends to come there and look. The felon was identified as Raul Weckland. A reward was shown of 2500 bucks.