Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Adventures of the Mixed and Messed up (M)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I think I've made it just in the nick! I'll work on that now. Just catching myself up to speed. Sorry about that, All! And thank you for letting me be comatose a bit! Life got away from me for a little while.

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

Wolf of the Highlands
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, action
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

nice to have you back
    and NP.
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.
    The motto give: fortiorum fortia facta (made stronger and braver)

I say, let us all be fortiorum fortia facta.

Spoiler: I'm an Ajin! 

Spoiler: extra 

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Thank you!

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

@GodlyD&D: First of all let me say that I'm loving that our characters are standing in the middle of a bunch of dead people having a scholarly sort of chat about how their magical procedures work, haha!

Secondly, sorry to pop OOC with it, but I'm still having a little trouble wrapping my brain around what's happened with the alteration and what to do with it from here.

If alteration isn't illusion and it isn't just a re-knitting of the body into a form with the existing skin/bones/blood, doesn't that mean that Arapegol can essentially undo the body swap at the center of this roleplay at will? Presumably for the other characters also? Does that not seem like it might defeat the purpose a bit? If he has that ability, then it sounds like he could shuffle everyone around right now? Also, why could he not just move his image onto another person, move Klara's onto her, then move his back onto himself to solve the current mix-up if it's a body swap?

I understand what your last post said - Arapegol in Klara's body commanded the imp before retrieving his rod and orb and changing himself. Makes complete sense (to me, at least, IC she's still having a little trouble with order of events, haha)! What worries me is that because all of her summoning is linked to her blood, that means that the incomplete ritual for the reanimated corpse, the good behaviour of the imp, her contract with one of her two horses, and any other summons that haven't been mentioned yet - would've immediately started going haywire since she wasn't dead but was essentially in breach of blood-magic contracts when her body was altered?

Unless it means that her body is dead now? I suppose in that case it would cause the normal "safety clause" in her contracts to execute. But why would it dissipate on death if it's a physical change to the body? Is it just that the magic can't be retained beyond death or something of the kind? But then, the corpse wasn't really properly "alive" in the functional, human heart-beating sense; so would it have even taken the alteration to begin?

If the corpse looks different and her blood/magic doesn't exist then there is nothing controlling any of it and my next post should probably be to send it all off the rails. If she's technically dead now then I guess her consciousness is just hanging out in Arapegol's body and any summons would've been dismissed at her death, assuming no complicating factors. I can roll with either scenario, I'm just confused about this bit a little since it seems counter to the point of things if one of our group can basically undo the amulet's spell from the beginning? Arapegol wouldn't care about his body if he was already in an indistinguishable copy of it, would he? Whereas Klara would have no body to recover if no "copy" of it exists alive now? Although honestly, playing a really annoyed doppelganger sounds like it could be fun!

I guess I'm getting stuck on the idea that it has to either be a glamour of sorts or the "pieces" of the person are the same and just arranged differently - or else it seems like it's just a second bodyswap? If the "materials" of the body are not just rearranged but actually changed into the blood, skin, hair, etc. of another person - isn't that more human transmutation than alteration? Does that sound fair or am I just missing something important here/not following the logic properly?

In the end, I suppose the only really important thing I need to take away from this is: does Klara's actual blood, bones, and general body still exist? Or is she basically physically dead and now there are just two Arapegol's? Klara IC doesn't have to know the details necessarily, but what her related NPC do will depend on whether she's living or dead so she's likely to notice that much and realise what it means at least.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm having a frustrating time with this too, But Godly doesn't seem to be paying any attention to the OOC since I've tried talking to him about it anyhow and he hasn't responded or done anything to change it.
    So for now I'm rolling with it.

But let me explain from my own understanding of it.
    Your original body still exists as a memory underneath the alteration, so technically your body still lives. But that original is no longer accessible because there is an alteration on top of that. So, you are technically still alive, as far as I can tell.
    And he does say there are other ways to under it via magic and supernatural effects.

Now, in order to do what you suggest, which is to swap forms around until you got back to your proper states would need another person, not of the group, willing to take the forms of everyone else in order to complete this process. For ease of function, and so that everyone would return to normal, let's say this extra person is a shapeshifter so it's no problem for it.
    He would take the form of 1 of the first 2 people to be swapped, then person 1 would turn into person 2, while person 3 (shapeshifter) still holds the form of person 1, then person 2 takes the form of person 3 who looks like the original form of person 1. And since person 3 is a shapeshifter, it's not much of a problem.
    But good luck with finding a shapeshifter, let alone getting one to help you.

Besides, DM powers aside, I would argue that this alteration doesn't change the functionality of the body, but physically changes the looks.
    Despite how Godly has explained it, I would say that it still has your blood if nothing else. I feel that, for all intense and purposes, he's still in your body with your blood and is still technically a woman able to bear child, but the alteration has made that extremely hard as he/she looks like his former self with male parts that aren't really functional.

This is how I would rule, but Godly doesn't seem to care about the power of the DM.
    I'll let it go for now, but I won't let anything go past this.
    I can accept that it's a physical thing and not an illusion, and not easily undone, I will have my ruling above be followed.
    Arapegol may have an incomplete or improper understanding of the spell, so it is as he says as far as his knowledge goes. It is likely he doesn't know everything about everything.
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Okay, great! So then rolling with Klara's body exists under the appearance, at least to the extent she retains all powers and controls with/on Klara's body despite looking like Arapegol and is not dead. It may take me a little time to post, but if I go afoul of the way it's set here in OOC, just let me know and I can edit as needed!

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

@Alura, one problem I had was not noticing notifications right away, and just working with the writing in that thread. Still the character accepted clearly had alteration and teleportation available to use, and that is what I worked with. I think you are reading death into things too much. The alteration I understand still has something of reality still having a memory of what there was before alteration, if being alive, it is not dead with the alteration, there is just no evidence to any senses that it is there, all effects from what alteration there is shows the new form of the alteration is there. The mind that there was, which is not physical itself, remains with the new form still, it would be there if there is the reverse alteration, if that is without killing it. This possibility of reverse alteration means it is not a desirable solution, besides the fact that it i unidirectional, and an attenpt to put alteration for having characters have their bodies as they were will leave at least someone out, and still the effect for any of them could in some way be permanently lost. It is really not a desirable solution that way. As the form not sensed after alteration did not die, it is just not found in any place, efcects from it would not be lost, as I see, something of reality remembers it

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

No worries! Mentions and notifications can be a little wonky sometimes.

There was no shapeshifter involved in the process, though, just a human body. I'm still not clear on the finer points of how this worked to begin with if this is how it operates. No consent/willingness was needed to shift Klara's form onto the corpse and the idea was to implant Klara's image onto Arapegol's body without a shapeshifter still, so it still seems to me like the extent of this 'alteration' is actually bodyswapping at the same level as the amulet? That's why I was wondering if she were alive or dead, because if it isn't illusion or physical rearrangement that leaves the same body "base", then that's essentially what it would be in my mind. It sounds like what you and Sniper are describing is something in between, though - not necessarily physically whole/present, but also not dead. In my mind, if something doesn't exist anywhere then it is effectively dead, but in a world with magic I can see I think how a person could be "out there" somewhere in between. In that case it sounds like you may be right in that I'm thinking too much in absolutes/a world sans magical interferences. What happens next from my perspective depends on whether she lived through all of this or her body died, and that's the reason I'm belabouring this particular topic, so I appreciate the walkthrough!

I understand that the skills/items Arapegol has were tied to the character and am not trying to dismiss that at all, though I don't understand how the attunement to them carried to the new body while his true body is still alive. I'm not trying to contend with that, though, just trying to understand the method and the impact to my character basically following the spell from the rod.

If I've read this correctly, no one would be able to sense that Klara's body is Klara's body right now without some sort of caveat that allows them to detect the "traces" of her blood/body. She's herself, but she isn't. She's still technically alive and still technically Klara. Her body is not fully present though it sort of exists as a layer somewhere where her body was. In that case, blood-based powers, I suppose, become inaccessible to the real Arapegol as you were describing. Klara's mind in Arapegol's real body also cannot access them. There are basically just two Arapegol's, one of whom is also sort-of Klara right now. If that sounds good to everyone I can roll with that?

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

interesting thought

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

just going to poke you guys.
    The last post was from Godly

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast