Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [M|OOC] The Coronation Game (Alura and Naming)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Haha, I love all of this! And reality should hit her, agreed. You have a point, though, I doubt she'd cry much for other people's spilt milk. After a long trek through the cold it's like they fired that village just to give her a place to warm her hands. That's worth it, right?

In addition to that, I imagine both some sort of skirmish and situations like town or village folk looking for some guidance after a tragedy like a fire would give the knight a chance to illustrate true leadership and compassion. Even if she doesn't appreciate it at the time, hopefully at some point she'll have enough sense and experience under her belt to appreciate those traits. And even if not, it can only bolster his reputation with the existing leaders united under the kingship!

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Oh, absolutely. What are the homes and livelihoods of several families compared to the needs of the princess? They should be glad for the opportunity to serve her in such a way!

A skirmish that involves townspeople wasn't something I had imagined, but I kind of like the idea, now that you suggest it. I can imagine them seeking leadership from the princess, only to just have her...not cooperate at all. Either she simply doesn't care, or doesn't have enough combat experience to give them proper advice. The knight realizes partway through that this isn't working out, sighs to himself, and steps in to take charge of the situation. Probably much to her annoyance, when she realizes someone else is undermining her authority. A nice little bit of interpersonal drama for our main characters early on. As if we didn't have enough of that planned already, haha.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

It would be unseemly and beneath her not to appreciate the sacrifice of their dime-a-dozen village for her comfort. Very hospitable vassal/peasant people in these parts... Really know their place in the order of things.

I mean, matter of perspective, right? Is she being uncooperative? Or is she really building their moral fibre? Really bolstering their character when they most need to be self-reliant, strong, independent women who don't need no king?

Hmm, maybe you have a point. That's gone a touch too revolt-y. We don't like that. They need a queen. And she happens to be a well-qualified princess, in fact, so... I mean it all really ties itself in a bow if they would stop going all unhinged over 'salted my fields' this and 'burnt down my shed with the cows inside' that and 'blah blah blah insert quaint peasantry farming term here'. I mean... it's a cow. They can always just grow another one. They have other fields to plant them in, am I right?

On a more serious note, though, that sounds perfect. He seems much more competent in that role. It will certainly annoy her, but I'm confident she'll find a way to express her displeasure, and maybe if a small miracle happens he'll manage to actually teach her something while he's in the midst of being a legendary hero of the people in the making. I'm excited to see his character progression, honestly. There is so much potential in him. I feel that the people are going to love him.

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Oh, absolutely. If the fields really have been salted, then the next batch of cows they grow will already be seasoned and preserved by the time they're done growing! They'd be killing two bird with one stone, really, and better off than before.

I feel like anyone who comes to love him will be better off doing so from a distance, to be honest. He's probably much too gruff and dismissive for most of the peasants to put up with him for an extended period...if he puts up with them that long. Very much a case of 'don't meet your heroes', I think. To start with, at the very least. We'll see if that ends up changing further down the road.

In any case, our starter is finally the next thing on my RP to-do list, so hopefully it won't be too much longer! I know I say that a lot, but I do genuinely mean it each time =P I've got most of my opener planned out, so hopefully work cooperates and gives me enough free time to put it down on paper within the next couple of days.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Brilliant!!! See, they've been present a matter of minutes and already they're solving hunger. She's so amazing at this leadership business already.

I have to think people successful in military often fall on one side of that extreme. Either a one-man-army kind of thing or very, very good at networking. I wonder if that's true or if there is more range. That will be interesting, to learn the dynamics with different groups of people. There will be a lot of opportunity to write them against different societal strata, so we'll see the pros and cons of each of them against each element. That bit I'm quite looking forward to, honestly!

As long as it holds your interest, the rest is just writing as we have time, so no worries there! I believe you and believe in you, haha. That's exciting!

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Just a quick reply to give you a little bit of an update. I'm just about done with the first draft of my opening post. I'm planning on giving it another day or two so I can proofread it once or twice when I'm feeling a little bit fresher, but it certainly shouldn't be long now.

I'd apologize again for how long things have taken, and my general weakness with openings, but we've already spoken about how annoying broken records can be

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

It's just a bit of anticipa...

...tion!

I'm excited for our rousing tale of adventure and mischief, but honestly it's been quite a busy month this end already and so it's just going to be a silver lining whenever it hits and no pressure at all on time!

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

After much too long, we're finally in business!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

*Excited pterodactyl sounds.*

EDIT/UPDATE:
    I really enjoyed the opening post of The Coronation Game!

Reading about the fighting was very good, but perhaps it's strange to say was technically an entertaining read? The bit about his trusting his plate mail was brilliant and for some reason just really added to the fight, sold his expertise I thought!

His conversation with the "Captain" who was battlefield-promoted and his grunted displeasure made me chuckle a bit, haha! So far I love him as much or more than I did initially from his character profile.
    Last edited by Alura; 02-19-2021 at 06:25 AM.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I'll take the random dinosaur noises as a good sign

I'm very glad you enjoyed it! It has been...a very long time since I've written any real combat, so I was afraid that I might be a little bit rusty. I was trying to find the thin line where Sigrid's skill would be apparent, but without making him seem like too much of a one-man army, for lack of a better term. Very pleased with how it seems to have worked out so far.

I haven't gotten around to reading your reply just yet. I've got one other post to get to before I get around to ours again. But I'll be sure to give you my initial reactions as soon as I get the chance!
    Last edited by Namingtoohard; 02-24-2021 at 12:32 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast