Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Quest for the People of Vorronga (1X1 GodlyD&D and trouble.muffin)

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The Wiser answered, "There is little to repurpose a glowing flowergemstone for, and they are rare, and found in unique circumstances. It is not none, but very little, I will reveal more about that at a later time, as it will be useless knowledge unless you learn a lot from me very well, and the right glowing flowergemstone is found then. One found can be used triggering its power for many days. Yet the glow eventually fades and the power does not remain available. It is very rare that two are found around the same time, though I have heard of it. There were even three, around the same time, just a few times. It would not be really certain the same one individual could acquire more than one of them in those times either. It is best to hope you would find one when you are ready and prepared, in such right circumstances for it, and then you may be ready for using that, whether it is for alteration, or for teleportation. With alteration, using the right motions to trigger the right thing of what is desired, you might take what is the form of one thing for that to become the form of another thing, a duplicate of the first in the appearing form. That other thing will remain that way, unless it is living and it is killed, or unless a reverse of the alteration is cast on it.

"It will involve much training, for something you do not know when would be available to you. Training is needed for the knowledge of the herbs,, but it is not so much needed for that in comparison, and it would be for use of what grows around here. There is not knowledge we have of any herbs that do not grow right here or in places nearby. We will focus on what will interest you right off, and you can change what you would like training in anytime. And we certainly can make outings for what there is to see around here."
    Last edited by GodlyD&D; 01-27-2021 at 02:36 AM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Fazibar the primary guide of the group told the five others who went this way, "We will avoid being seen by any there of the Contrary Vorrongan people to not have them compete for what we look for, that they might bring back the fallen body of metal instead of us. There is a little used path up this side of the canyon, which will lead in the general direction of where we need to go. I need to look around here where I will spot that path again."

Fazibar approached the canyon wall which had more than a 45° slope and in places a 60° slope. He came back a short while later, with concern showing on his face. "I found the path. But there are two huge snakes laying right in front of where we would have the way of access to go up that way."

Eldubar the other one going as a guide said, "I recognize the different snakes, I should look at them." Eldubar went to where Fazibar indicated they needed to go. He said, "These snakes are huge. The biggest snakes I know are certain banded snakes, which eat other snakes, and rodents, lizards, birds and bird eggs. Those do not have poisonous bites to humans. But these are different snakes."
    Last edited by GodlyD&D; 01-28-2021 at 02:37 AM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Eldubar tried to explain. "These are much bigger, these ones have broad arrow shaped heads, the bodies are thick so they appear to be heavy, with reddish blotches that bend in at the middles. I have not seen snakes like this before."

The others had drawn closer to that location, and they looked for a while. The snakes moved around a little, but did not raise themselves up and did not yet show awareness of those men or threaten them."

Parbesald who was a little older than Jorald said, "We cannot have this stopping us from our mission to retrieve the metal body that dropped to the earth. We have to have a way to go on."

Fazibar said, "But if these snakes have a poisonous bite how can we continue and be safe from that?"

"Is there really no other way up?" Parbesald asked.

"There is no other path. We would otherwise be trying to scramble up the slope with our hands and feet, with some risk, and no ability to carry what we bring as we do so. And it is pointless to go looking for another path as we go further toward the Contrary Vorrongan homes, to be in sight of them."

Jorald said, "Then we have to deal with these snakes, and not wait much longer."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald went quickly back among the trees from which they had just come. Looking around above him for a while, he spotted a branch he wanted, and took up his knife of the metal his people had acquired much earlier, which the others with him were also carrying, with taking it out from the sheath, he cut away with the sharp edge on it until the branch was cut off. He then cut off the extended growth and leaves leaving it cut just past where it divided in two directions. He looked around again, a bit longer, and found a second branch he wanted. He cut that up the same way. After putting the knife safely away, and carried the cut branches with him back to where the others were.

Fazibar said, "You were taking rather long. You did not just go to relieve yourself as we thought?"

"I made preparations, for dealing with these snakes. You can hold these items I have been carrying, for just now. Get yourselves ready to move."

Jorald went right away toward the snakes still carrying the branches. As he came close one raised its forepart up facing him. He thrust the branch at it and with both ends past the division of the branch going on either side of it, Jorald pinned it to the ground. The other snake raised itself up, and Jorald pinned it to the ground. But then both snakes thrashed around the rest of their serpentine bodies.

"Go, all of you, on that path, now! These snakes are strong, I can't hold them so long, now is the chance!"

The five others then hurried toward the path while trying carefully to avoid those snakes with their heads pinned down and their bodies with long tails thrashing about. When they managed going a good way up along the path where it went on the side of the canyon wall, Jorald let go and ran after them, leaping to the side as he sensed either snake reaching after him. The others had gone quickly and were far ahead. But as Jorald at the moment was not carrying anything he hurried on and saw he was catching up with them.

hella baked and extra sweet
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

“I see. It seems the teleportation stone might be most useful of the two. Someday I wish to find that type, then. Jorald might even be back by now if we were able to use that! It would also mean that precious treasures could not be reached by an enemy first.” Mehlika realized as she spoke that her own tribe was likely among the enemies she mentioned. Eyebrows furrowed, she said a silent prayer that Jarold’s party never encountered one from her homeland. The thought of bloodshed on either side should they meet was one she hadn’t considered carefully enough when falling for the burly, yet gentle Primaryman. Concentration was not a strength of hers while near him.

“Yes, herbalism seems to be the best focus for now. Thank you for your guidance. Would it be alright to begin around here today? I feel quite restless while I gather my bearings. Already the silence here is a stark contrast to home. Peaceful, to be sure, but there was always some sort of commotion in my family.” In the pause that followed, Mehlika strained to hear anything that might remind her of home. Only the fluttering of a door’s covering in the breeze cut through the silence.

She sighed and once again wondered whether Jorald’s decision to bring her here had been true love, fate, or sheer impulse. The stillness was more than her racing mind could bear. “Forgive my blathering. Has this always been your home? Do you have siblings as well?” As she asked she stepped slowly towards the door, eager to explore more of this new residence.
    Last edited by trouble.muffin; 02-06-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The Wiser answered, "I was the runt among my siblings, and in my development strenous activity damaged my spine. I was not promising for any activities my siblings or other youth my age would be involved in. I was shunned. But a wise elder before me with knowledge of herbs, and memory of precedeing experiences with glowing flowergemstones among predecessors, took me in and willingly let me learn from him, here in this dwelling. I lived a long time here with him, and in the end we learned further things together. I will have more to speak of him as well. But let us make our outing now, shall we?"

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald was agile, for the path going up more gradually along the side of the canyon wall was not wide. It had been made by sheep, and had been used mostly by them, with few exceptions of the times any people had gone that way, up out of the canyon or returning into it. But Jorald was not going to slacken when it could give snakes that might pursue him a chance to catch up. And so he neared the others ahead of him.

Fazibar turned noticing his approach, and then said, "Relax, Jorald. Those snakes are not coming this way."

Jorald stopped and looked behind him. With relief he saw that indeed those two huge snakes, that even Eldubar could not identify, remained at the bottom of the canyon wall where the path up started.

"Why do they just stay there, and not go anywhere?"

Eldubar answered, "They might be there to mate. You know snakes prefer to come out from shady places to warm themselves up in warm spots in the sun, and the path would have seemed to be such a warm spot for them."

Jorald thought to himself, there was hope then the snakes would be long gone when he and the others returned, and with the fallen mass of metal hopefully, as planned.

There was the gradual climb up, still, a long way with the gradual slope of the path along the canyon side with a much greater slope. In places the path was quite narrow, with the canyon wall on one side and the drop far down on the other, so that they moved carefully along it, and all along this way they went single file anyway, with Jorald coming last, right after Fazibar. Finally after the long way, Parbesald in front said, I see we are almost at the top, where this path leads to."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The two stepped out from that home shelter at the lowest level of the cliffside here. The Wiser said, as he turned back toward the cliffside, "I suppose I should tell you about some of these homes here. You should be able to identify this one where we shall stay, it has its distinct opening with the more crooked side on the right. It is a pattern, look at it to know it, it should be familiar to you and you will know this is it just by seeing that. The other openings to the other homes do not have the same distinction, though no sides are perfectly straight, these were all modified from small caves that were here far past any memories. On the second level above it, and three home openings further that way, is the home where I lived when little with my family. There is one brother from that family who lives there now with his family. He would have nothing to do with me if I had not gained the respect of all the people from all I had learned in becoming the Wise One now. Jorald's family has their home the other way on that second level, right over there. Of course his own place where he brought you is just a little further that way. There is certainly that walkway along the second level to go from one home to any other on that level. The steps going from level to level are just in those few places you can see from here. And big man Megorfen lives at that first home on this lower level, over there. His advisers have meetings with him there. There is a meeting place for a larger group of people over there, a little away from the cliffside, at such times a fire is used at that spot for gathering around. All things we gather are further on, where much more grows nearer to the river. There are fish caught, and sometimes a beaver is caught, that people here might get meat from, but I get by not using any of that, I am in good health with foods of certain vegetation I make sure I use. Things like tanned leather came about from the attack long ago by the cameloleons, viscuous creatures with sharp bony jaws, which killed several here, but with many uniting here they were defeated. A dozen of them were killed, though a few escaped and were not seen afterward, and they were skinned and the pelts used, and soon leather was tanned from that."
    Last edited by GodlyD&D; 02-04-2021 at 02:23 AM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

As Jorald and those with him came to the hilly top that was beyond the canyon, Fazibar asked, "As it is a really careful climb we had to make coming up along the path to be up here, will it not be really very difficult to get the mass of metal that landed back with us down that same way?"

Jorald said, "It will be difficult. But see the carrying structure that Parbesald is carrying? Those two long extensions reach out at both ends. Two might hold the two extensions in a row in the front and two can do that in a row in the back, as we go single file as we had. We will have to be more careful as those of us bearing that will not have hands free as we go down along that narrow path. It is good that we who were chosen for it are strong and bave great coordination."

Fazibar said quietly, "I would be concerned about that."

As they went on they saw there were flocks of sheep, wild untamed animals here, among the hills above the canyon. Most were far off, a few were nearer. One large ram nearby looked up from grazing, observing them then.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald alerted the others. "It looks like that ram is going to charge us," he said. As the others looked, the ram suddenly went into motion. Jorald hurried over to Parbesald who held the carrying structure. "Let me hold this, all of you guys back up that way." Jorald parted from them and waved the structure. The ram noticing it charged then right toward him.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast