Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Quest for the People of Vorronga (1X1 GodlyD&D and trouble.muffin)

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald kept his eye on the charging ram as it ran toward him, the others all moved further away, not understanding what Jorald was doing. He held the structure before him, and a moment before the ram reached him he stepped abruptly aside, leaving the structure in front of the ram, but flipping it then up, the ram then never hit him. Jorald swiftly spun the structure with wooden rods for carrying, and struck at the ram now moving on with its momentum. There was little effect from that still as the ram was moving so fast. The ram tried to stop immediately and then turn, but did not manage it before stumbling on a small hard mound a little further on, and then with the momentum still hurdling into a tough shrub. The ram then got up and turned, to look for where Jorald, who the ram had just missed, was standing. The ram again prepared to charge, but was showing some fatigue. Jorald readied himself with the structure again right before him, and then the ram came again, with determination.

hella baked and extra sweet
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

The shape of the cliff differed slightly, but the dwellings themselves reminded Mehlika of home. Her own there was on the lowest level as well so that her family may easily access the fields they had tended for generations. She studied the doorframe as the Wiser suggested and took note of the curve that widened on its right side.

“When Jorald returns I suppose that means we’ll stay up there. What can you tell me of my future neighbors? He hardly speaks of his family.” Mehlika peered in the direction he pointed as she spoke, but couldn’t make out much of her lover’s dwelling. Curiosity was bound to draw her up to investigate before his return, but for now at least she turned back towards the Wiser. As they walked further from his cliffside home, she was surprised to learn of his self-imposed restrictions. Her family was used to getting by on mostly plants as well but had never turned up the chance for roasted meat if the opportunity arose. This man did seem in good health, though. Perhaps her father was wrong when he insisted that flesh was the ultimate source of strength.

Her thoughts strayed back to her hand on Jorald’s armor, which must have been made of the same leather the Wiser now described as Mehlika realized it was not only old but irreplaceable. She hoped there was something to offer better protection in the sphere the party sought.

“It seems most resources are scarce now that I think about it deeply,” the corners of Mehlika’s mouth pulled downwards as she finished speaking. A chill washed through her for the second time that day. It wasn’t as though things were more plentiful back in her homeland, but she hadn’t considered before how difficult it was to replace anything. Her parents, though not wealthy by any means, had done well to scrounge up whatever hand-me-downs she’d needed through the years. “Has this always been so?”

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

"As scarce as now?? How would you think there is scarcity? Sure there are other animals outside of this canyon, further away. But there are not the resources out there which we have in this canyon. There are certainly myriads of different vegetation here, most of which have usefulness to us. I hope you will learn of these. The beavers though abundant were not always here, they came to this area back around the time the cameloleons came, and they grew in numbers since then. But before that we were all a fishing people, and there really are a great number of fish in the river, and crabs besides, and the very small animals. When I was very young I ate fish too. When beavers started coming in and then growing in number, people started using them too. But I was not alright with that. I could see for myself they were thinking and feeling beings that had their lives that they valued. This led to a process in my thinking, and I saw I could not deny that the fish could be that way too, their struggle in being caught was plainly visible. So I resolved to find what of the abundant vegetation, which fed animals as well, would be what I needed for living in good health still. And I weaned myself of the fish, though others here including family members did not approve. And with careful attention I found what must be the healthiest way, with the best selection I find possible from growing fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and this grain that has been found. I use bits of the algae in the river, too."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Benorken had come to the area of the gardens with Mehlika, where vegetables and berries were being grown. He said, "Over this way I have been growing a great variety separately that would be much of what I use. I have grown vegetation according to what I see to be families, according to their flowers. A lot of those are for food that is good for us, but some herbs are among them. Right over here, with these potato plants, I have other useful plants of that potato family, edible fruit. They all have wide flowers of five close petals. And over this way there are these carrot plants, all of which are edible, and these others of carrot family, with their flowers spread out in umbells, and these others have useful edible leaves or stalks. Many of the herbs are here. Further along this way, there are the bean plants and others of the bean family, with their pods. Here I grow strawberries and these bramble plants with their berries are in that family with them. I grow hemp here for its useful fiber and things. Here are squash and melons together of the same family. Out on this side, I have this brassica family for useful food. Here is the asparagus family. And this way are my plants of the allium family. There are still these grains that have been found that all our community is growing over there. We can go out further now to see the things that are growing among the trees nearer to the river."

They went on, and came to where there were varieties of trees, some bearing fruit among them, with thick growth of shrubs all around in most places.

"Pay attention to these plants, nettles, which are important."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald had moved his position, and used the same strategy, and the ram came at the carrying structure rather than striking him. This time the ram was not fast enough passing him, and Jorald continued the motion of that structure to spin it into the position for it and strike the ram that was passing with the projection from behind, injuring it. That also propelled the ram forward, and as it had been going toward the edge of the canyon, this way the animal did not stop in time and went sliding down the edge, presumably to land on the pathway that the men had come up on.

Jorald said to the others, "There are still other rams over there. We should really go on now."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald said to the others, "There are still other rams over there. We should really go on now."

The other rams were a bit further off and did not seem to be a threat to them, the others with Jorald thought. But there was really no excuse to delay further for seeking the metal they were after. Any rest they might need could come later, but there was possibility they could come to the metal before that, and it would be important for having claim to it before any others might come for it.

They went on past hills until the wild sheep were not in sight. Parbesald asked then, "Fazibar, where is the location of the fallen metal object we look for?"

Fazibar answered, "There is a sort of canyon further that way, not as deep as that where we live in our homes, but wider, with a body of water in the center, like a small lake. It is there."

Jorald asked, "We can go down in that, and carry the whole metal out?"

Fazibar said, "I think you can. And it is not as steep as our own canyon."

Jorald said, "We still would want to go along a path like we had from our canyon."

Fazibar said, "I know others I have seen have gone down to that place."
    Last edited by GodlyD&D; 02-12-2021 at 05:11 AM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

They went on, among slight hills here, a good deal of the time in the sun, in this mild weather, but with many clouds in the sky so that after each amount of time they had in the sunshine the sun would be hidden by a cloud at least as long.

Others besides Fazibar wondered if they were going in the right direction for what they sought. Finally, later in the day, Fazibar pointed and said, "See? There is the canyon we are going to further ahead. We will soon come to its edge."

Parbesald said, "And there are wolves over there trailing us, and they would soon catch up with us."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald and the others turned to look back along the way they had come. He spotted them, a good distance away, coming at a moderate pace. He said, "There are just two of those. They would not be a threat to all of us together."

Parbesald said, "Yet they are following us. Why then?"

Fazibar said, "They would still be a threat, I am sure, if they have been really hungry."

Jorald said, "I think there is small chance of that. Parbesald, you, and Eldubar keep an eye on them frequently. We should not delay in reaching the place we go to for that metal, which should be that way ahead of us. Let us keep going."

They all saw then where the land ahead came to a stop where there was a wide opening, with the other side far off continuing from the side of the cliff there. As they continued and drew near to it, Parbesald said, "Those two wolves are a lot closer now."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald said, "I do not know what is up with those wolves, as we outnumber them. Parbesald, use the carrying structure as I did, opened up while waving it. The rest of us will pull out our blades just in case we have to defend ourselves against them."

The two wolves were still approaching, now less than fifty feet away. Jorald yelled loudly, waving his arms, "Go away! Go back where you came from! Go, you do not want to mess with us!"

The wolves stopped. The others with Jorald started yelling, and waving their arms too. The wolves stayed in that spot, and crouched, showing their teeth as they growled.

Eldubar stopped yelling for a moment, and said, "Jorald, I think the wolves are driving us away from their young. We can only be safe moving further away."

Jorald said to the others, "Back up slowly, along the way we were going!" He moved that way, yelling again at the wolves with his blade out ready for use.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The others with him backed up then as Jorald had started to do, with more shouting and arm waving. The wolves yet stayed there where they crouched, looking still like they would pounce up at them. Jorald then said after a little more yelling, "Fazibar, look back in the direction we go and let us know when we are coming to the edge of that canyon we are coming to, we were already close to it." He saw Fazibar then turn to go forward to it as he resumed yelling toward the wolves. The wolves in the next moment stood up.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast