Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: [M] Quest for the People of Vorronga (1X1 GodlyD&D and trouble.muffin)

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald saw the platter with items to eat there, and he reached for it and started to eat, as he sought for getting feelings back while he suffered the loss he already perceived. And he became aware that it was Mehlika who he had lost to the sea. But there was this person who comes to him from the sea, and returns to the sea, who he sees is apparently Mehlika. She must be a supernatural being. He sat there thinking as he mulled over this. Why would Mehlika, a supernatural being, who can dwell where he would never survive, care for him?

But the Jorald saw the water line of the sea moving up, coming toward him, and it came quickly.
    Last edited by GodlyD&D; 03-29-2021 at 01:38 AM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

How could the sea be rising up, Jorald wondered, worriedly. It then came to him, as the water line came up to him. This island he was on was sinking. He got up, picking the platter up with him, and looked around. There was the interior of the island making a hill over the rest of the island. Here the land was more level, and now the water line moved past him toward the slope. He started hurrying toward the slope to go up to the highest point there, through the water so far still low enough to splash or wade through. But if it all continued to sink, what then, he thought as he was going up the slope to get out from the water, the edge of it now moving more slowly as it went up along the slope. Why should he bother if it would catch up and everything would be under water?

Jorald still wondered if there was a way he could still survive, as he came out from the water still rising along the slope, and he neared the top where he saw he was on a tiny island that remained of what there was. And the water still came up towards him where he was now at what had been the top of that once much wider island.

The sea stretched all around, really far. He finally spotted one small shoreline far off in one direction. "Oh help!" Jorald called out, but realized it was hopeless as no one would hear him.

The water line was not moving as fast now, but the remaining island above the sea was still shrinking.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

"Get up! Wake up already!" It was Parbesald, nudging at Jorald. "We cannot just stay here, there are streamlets of water from the rain out there running down this shelf we would go up on. They are forming a puddle here."

Jorald came to awareness of it, and he stood up. He saw the others were up just now. "I need to relieve myself," he said.

Parbesald said, "Just go back to the edge of this shelf where we came up."

Jorald said, "But what about us going back that way?"

Parbesald said, "The crack above where we see the sky shining through now goes in the exact direction that this next shelf we would go up on does, and it can be seen leading up that way. We need to try going out that way."
    Last edited by GodlyD&D; 03-31-2021 at 02:00 AM.

hella baked and extra sweet
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

The wise one gave grace to Mehlika’s distracted thoughts and chatted with her about the gemstones as led her through the rest of the garden. Satisfied with her tour thus far and a bit worn from her journey, she followed close to Benorken. Once inside, she offered to help prepare dinner and was amazed by the flavors he could produce using only vegetables and a handful of herbs or spices. She wondered whether Jorald had given up the taste of flesh as well and hoped he would be open to adopting such a lifestyle if not. Mehlika returned to her temporary chambers that night with a satisfied stomach, but settling in to rest only intensified the yearning in her chest. With so many siblings, she’d rarely slept alone at home. Much of the night was spent tossing, turning, and wishing for Jorald’s steady breathing beside her instead of silence. “Next time, I go too,” Mehlika vowed to the darkness. It was better to risk potential danger than to face certain and indefinite agony.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The silence did not last. A storm had started, and soon heavy rain was heard outside. But with shelters as these in cavernous spaces in the side of the cliff, any within those were shielded and secure from the drenching rain and the storm. Still it was not pleasant circumstance to rest easy with. Thoughts easily went to Jorald, and what might he be dealing with. Falling asleep from all her tiring day preceding that, she yet found enough rest.

The next morning Benorken the wiser was found to be exuberant. "A storm is really good news! It was at times of certain storms that came in the past when a glowing stone, what I was calling a flowergemstone for its colorful appearance, would be found. Do you see? Perhaps one might be found around this time. I think we should be watching."

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Rested but heavy-hearted, Mehlika strained to remember what she dreamt of. The details escaped her grasp and all that remained was a lingering feeling of loss. She wrote it off as loneliness and rebraided her hair before leaving her chambers.

The dwelling had remained dry through the storm and the scent of fresh earth drifted in with the morning breeze. She quickly saw that she was the last out of bed and Benorken’s enthusiasm livened the room as soon as she entered. How long had he been waiting for her to wake? For an elder, his energy was unmatched.

Mehlika was delighted to find a small assortment of fruits and a pitcher of water awaited her. She poured herself some and took a sip before replying, “That is great news, though I hope the storm did not delay the retrieval party. Yes, let’s look! Where should we watch? Do they fall from the sky as with the metal?”

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Benorken the wiser explained to Mehlika, "No, we cannot say how they come here, it is a mystery. We should be looking carefully wherever we go, an unexpected glow should be spotted to give one of them away, and so we should try to spot that first. They appear very infrequently, but each time it had been after such a storm. The last time, one of those was found along the river a little way along from this community. A few years before, one was found up along the cliffside, further away from the community, among the wild trees. Yet there is no rule we can go by."

Meanwhile, Jorald and those with him had worked their way along a narrow shelf leading up along a crevice to an opening through the surface above them, as it narrowed more, with water running along it, with an empty space with a long drop down on the side away from the wall they went along. There were still drops of rain coming down, but it was lighter with the day breaking.

Jorald said reflectively, as he and the others carried the heavy metal body on the carrier built for that, "Perhaps this shelf we walk along was built by people previous to us. I wonder who they would be, and why they would make this."

Eldubar answered, "No, there was some catastrophe with this part of the earth cracking. You can see the further open crack across from this shelf where it separated along with this wall from the other side."

They came up close to the surface at length, but here that shelf was extremely narrow, that they would not go on further. Jorald said, "I will go up to that surface first. Parbesald, you just should give me a start and I can reach it. Then you lift up Eldubar and I can help him up, and Fazibar can be helped up next. The rest of you should then lift up the metal body, and those of us up there pull it up to the surface above. Then the rest of you can be helped going up here."

It was more easily suggested than this was carried out, and after a good portion of the morning with great effort they each and the metal body and the carrier were up on the surface, where there was a wide open space and treelines well off in the distance.

Fazibar called out, "Oh my Fated Meeting, what is that!?"

The others also saw the same object seen further toward the trees, it was a huge glowing column, and it was moving.

Eldubar said, "It is a glowing twister!"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

“Hmm, that does make it especially difficult to track them. Where do you suggest we begin our search?” Remaining vigilant for a flowergemstone would give her mind some preoccupancy, at least.

Mehlika sampled a few of the dark purple berries and made a soft sound upon discovering how sweet they were. Taking a fistful, she continued, “Is there anything else we should do before heading out? I can eat these along the way.” A tiny spurt of juice flew forward and landed on Benorken’s arm. Mortified, her hand shot out to wipe away the violet fleck.

“Pardon me, Wise One. How embarrassing! Perhaps I should focus on eating first after all,” the young woman remarked with a timid grin. Her auburn hair had a fiery gleam in the morning light. She lowered to sit with him and selected one of the crimson fruits that were slightly smaller than her fist. It was tart, but pleasant enough. She'd be sure to follow it with some more of those messy, yet delicious berries.
    Last edited by trouble.muffin; 06-23-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

"Yes," Benorken told Mehlika, "we should just enjoy our breakfast here before we rush out to look here and there. I have made a start in trying to show you things I would have you learn, as you show you are willing. You can have this time to still ask any question. It can be about the glowing gemstones, or how they fade to clear gemstones, or it can still be about the herbs that are effective for things, or it can yet be about how to eat in a healthy way that I found possible without anything from animals included in that. You already understand, in any case, that a glowing flowergemstone, such that I hope we can find now, is really rare, and not found often. If one is around, we really need to find it right away for it to be of any use."

As they chatted, Jorald and the five men with him carried the body of metal they had acquired in the direction back to the settlement where they had their homes among the other Vorrongan people there, they recognized patterns of trees in the distance to figure out the way. Eldubar told the others that he knew of those glowing twisters, which had been seen before. It was said they were dangerous if they came close to any. This cyclonic column was moving in a direction further away.

Jorald noted, "It seems to be moving in the way toward the Primary Group along the Vorronga River."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The cyclonic column of that glowing energy seemed to meander a bit, going in that general direction away from them as Jorald and the men with him carrying the body of metal they recovered went on in the direction where it was recalled that there was a trail leading down into the river canyon. They were moving at a faster rate though. It was late morning and nearing noontime when the men came to the cliffside, near to where the trail reached, the cyclonic column was not so far now, and they saw it reached the height of a man, as it hovered at the edge of the cliff a few dozen feet away, but over the trail where they would be going down into the canyon, with the weight they were carrying, which all six men were bearing.

Jorald said, "We will really need those pole extensions to help us here. Three of us can walk in a line holding the extensions in the front, as they walk forward watching the trail, and three more of us can hold the extensions behind and follow helping with this weight. We will just rest a little here so we will be ready for it."

The rest was not so long, for none of them wanted to take much longer getting back, and none wanted any encounter with the Contrary Vorrongan people that more likely might spot them the longer they took to go.

So they carefully went along the narrow trail slopping gradually down. It was disturbing to them as they reached where the glowing cyclonic column hovered at the edge above them. Suddenly it moved forward, with its narrow base moving quickly yet easily down the steep slope, to where it came to the trail right in front of them. And it was moving toward them. The men knowing that there was danger from it being close all backed away, yet stumbling a bit going on that trail not seeing it with its unevenness, and the carrier was not even as they adjusted to keep there own balance. The metal body was sliding off.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast