Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: [M] Quest for the People of Vorronga (1X1 GodlyD&D and trouble.muffin)

hella baked and extra sweet
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

“Yes, I do wish to learn. It is rather a lot to take in, but I will do my best to keep up,” Mehlika replied. She appreciated that he saw her willingness to study, especially after her clumsy display this morning.

There was so much to learn that it was hard to decide what to ask, like receiving all the directions for several recipes at once. Mehl chose to focus on the stones for now, as they seemed most time-sensitive.

“How do the glowing gemstones fade? Is it through use, over time, or by some other means? I understand there is no rule to go by in our search, but is there a way to narrow it?” Mehlika picked out another dozen or so berries as she asked and made sure to leave some for Benorken in case he was just as fond of them.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Benorken, the Wiser One, responded, "There is a lot that is not understood about the glowing gemstones, but there is a tradition I keep handed down by those who came before me and dealt with any of those, that we make note of our observations about them. They lose power, with losing the glow, but why that is cannot be said, except with saying if one pours out water from a container that container runs out of water, and in a more gradual way, it runs out of water at length if it just sits around unused. With what margin of error there must be with not knowing how long after a glowing gemstone came from its source until it it found, still with a strong glow, there is only a bit of correspondence known between its size and how long the glowing gemstone would last, the larger ones seem to tend to be lasting longer and the smaller ones having less length of time, for the effects of power to be used from them. Those lasting longer may be used up to about twenty days, those lasting the least length would have maybe ten days. There have been lengths anywhere between those of the longest and the shortest ones. They are poweful when the way to trigger them is known, and there are various ways known for that which are passed down to me, and they are of great worth for that."

As Jorald and the men with him backed away from the glowing cyclonic column known to be a danger approaching them on that narrow path on the canyon wall, they stumbled a bit on the unevenness of the rocky path, and the body of metal that they had carried back to this place slid from the carrier they held, and it rolled a little forward along the side of the path, and then rolled down in an arch along the slope of the canyon wall, and struck the ground with a very noisy crash that had not ever been heard among any there until that.

The glowing cyclonic column stopped approaching them, and went right down the canyon wall in the direction of the body of metal. The men now with the carrier without the object they had carried back hurried now as quickly as they dared along the path to reach the canyon bottom along it. When they came to the bottom, they saw the branches left but thankfully the snakes that had been there were not seen anywhere around. They looked back and saw where the body of metal lay, with a cloud of dust that had not settled all around it, and the glowing cyclonic column was right there with it. And the men all saw a group of several men coming out that way from the Contrary Vorrongan settlement well beyond where they and the metal body they observed were.

Parbesald said right then, "Fazibar, hurry to our camp and summon big man Megorfen and a company of strong men still there that he can gather, letting him know we brought a great body of metal into the canyon, but it had fallen, guarded by a glowing cyclonic column, and a group of men from the Contrary Vorrongan settlement are coming to it now!"
    Last edited by GodlyD&D; 06-29-2021 at 01:30 AM.

hella baked and extra sweet
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

“So no matter how large a stone, it wouldn’t last longer than one turn of the moon at best. It’s a wonder these gemstones were ever discovered, let alone put to use. To master their use, one must be in constant pursuit of these gemstones,” The young woman replied.

Her appetite satisfied by the fruit, Mehlika poured herself another cup of water and thought of the Wiser One’s metaphor. What would their gemstone’s capacity be, should they be so lucky as to find one? Eager to embark, she asked, “How does one test their power? Is there anything we should bring with us in our search?”

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The Wiser One answered, emphatically, "Absolutely! We can test out any one glowing gemstone that we find. That is what I wanted to prepare you for. But it would take some time, and that could delay us in our search, if we could just find one right away. I would still be there to test it right away. It is known that power from one could be power of alteration, or it could be power of teleportation. There is a triggering chant, and a way to wave one, contained already in a clear shell for it, to test for either power, but not both at the same time, for the powers and the ways to trigger them are distinct. So a few clear shells, of different sizes, should be brought with us in anticipation of finding a glowing gemstone. I can show you a chant and way to move the item we would test, and you will understand what I do then. But you would need enough practice to do so yourself. Jorald never did manage to learn it properly, though. Indeed, I would be glad to have these things found more than they are, but not everyone can, or should, use them."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Benorken the Wiser One went to where he kept the clear shells. He selected one, and came nearer. He held the shell up and before him, and giving it a swift move, he gave a shout, which not being expected was not heard clearly. He waved the shell about in seemingly strange patterns, and called out, "Ingooreem Youeen Salabeem!" It seemed to be archaic words used by people at some other time. Seeing Mehlika's surprised look, he said, "This way will test if a glowing gemstone, a flowergemstone, has teleportation available as its unique transcendent power to affect something, an object in front of me that I repeatedly aimed it toward. If the found glowing object does not affect anything that way, there will be another test we should do for if it has power of alteration available."

When Fazibar had run off from the other men, they came nearer to the glowing cyclonic column where it was positioned on top of the heavy metal body they had carried back to this canyon. The glowing cyclonic column, now seemingly the height of some man of their community yet shorter than them, was behaving like it was guarding the metal body from them. And they saw men, seemingly eight of them, yet approaching in the distance still from the settlement of the Contrary Vorrongan Group. The men of the Primary Vorrongan group who had brought this object to this canyon moved to position themselves before the metal body facing those coming men, they each had small blades they had carried on them, which they now held ready.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

As Mehlika and Benorken the Wiser One scoured the area by the river, on their side of it, and areas close to it, for any hint of the noticeable glow of a freshly arrived flowergemstone, as Benorken answered Mehlika's questions, about use of flowergemstones, and powers of herbs and how to recognize them as well, one of the young boys ran out to them from the cliff dwellings across all the planted fields with many things growing. As he came near Mehlika and Benorken looked up, seeing him coming. Benorken said, "It is Rigarni, one I hope to train one day, if he remains as interested as I heard him express recently."

Rigarni stopped for a moment for breathing, and he said then, "Wiser One, my family sent me to you, I am supposed to tell you word has come that Jorald and those with him have come back to the canyon. They are holding a spot further that way nearer to the Contrary Vorrongan people, where the metal they brought is under a cyclonic column keeping them from it, and they have to deal with men from the Contrary Vorrongan people coming toward them. They sent for big man Megorfen and those strong men he could gather to go with what they could arm themselves with to help Jorald and those with him keep the metal from the Contrary Vorrongan men. They have just left to go there a little while ago."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Megorfen had been at a meeting in front of his noble chamber with his advisers and his strong man. He discussed with them the known reality that the Contrary Vorrongan community were building up their place, with more structures, and men there were training to fight. He made known to those with him, "This does not bode well for this community. We cannot just remain a weaker community, while they grow stronger. We must do what we can to grow to be a stronger people ourselves."

Fazibar ran up to those men. He was spotted before he came to them. Megorfen said, "Fazibar, you went to help the other men who would find it bring back the discovered metal. Are they back now?"

Fazibar said, "We came to the side of the canyon up there with it. As we started down it rolled off the carrier and down along the canyon wall. That would be just as well, instead of us endangering ourselves with that very heavy mass we were all needed for carrying along the narrow trail down into the canyon. When we came to it at the bottom, a cyclonic column was there with it, blocking us from coming and getting it. And we saw men from the Contrary Vorrongan group coming to it, and I was sent to get more help here, that our men keep their claim to it."

Megorfen said, "By now the Contrary Vorrongan men might be there already! Men, gather a few more strong men, and let us hurry that way to help them in any way. It is not for the Contrary Vorrongan community to claim."

They hurried that way, and saw just as they came the Contrary Vorrongan men coming up to the men sent out from the Primary group, with weapons in hand. Megorfen said, "Oh my! I have never seen such a thing!"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567