Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Quest for the People of Vorronga (1X1 GodlyD&D and trouble.muffin)

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Those wolves still bared their teeth in growls. The wolves did not move toward the men still as they backed up, most of them yelling and waving their arms, the one big one holding the spread out structure and waving it, while Fazibar went facing forward in that direction. Some way further after the wolves were left dozens of feet further back, Fazibar said, "We are coming up to the edge over that canyon. I think we can manage the slope here, but you should all face forward to do so."

Jorald said, "Then let us go quickly. I do not think we should wait facing the wolves still. But there will be a messy battle if they come at us from behind as we go down that way."

Eldubar said, "I will still look back as you go down before me, and I would say so if those wolves move still toward us."

The others looked down over the edge of this oddly shaped canyon, which went around, with that lake in the middle at the bottom. It was at a slant here, just barely manageable at the top, but more manageable a little way further down.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald and Parbesald went first, and found the first couple of steps steep enough that they had to run there so as not to skid that way and go uncontrollably further. The steepness decreased after that and they managed to slow down and stop. Once they did they looked back. Two others were coming right after them and then Fazibar and Eldubar came. As Jorald watched, he saw the heads of the two wolves peer over the ledge of the cliff above.

The others came to where Jorald and Parbesald stood. Jorald said, "Be ready with your blades. The wolves are there watching us." The others turned and looked up, then seeing them.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

As they watched, the two wolves looked down towards them for a while from the top of that slanted cliff that went around this canyon. Then they turned and moved out of sight from those men watching from below. Jorald and those with him watched in that direction for some while still, but wolves or any other creature did not show up there anymore.

Fazibar said, "How are we going to return that way with the metal we would return with, I wonder."

Parbesald said, "You and Eldubar are lighter and could go up again ahead of us. Two of the rest would go up, one at a time, and you would be up there to help the first one, who would help up the second one. The other two here could lift the carrying structure with the metal so that those up there who are carrying it too would reach it and pull it up the rest of the way. Then the last two could climb out."

Jorald said, "Even if the snakes we encountered would move and no longer be where we found them, how can we avoid going through the area where wolves such as the ones we saw would go after us?"

Parbesald said, "I do not know. It may be that we need to turn up there to go another way around their grounds."

They turned shortly to look down they would need to go, toward the small lake in the middle of that canyon. Jorald said then, "Look! I did not notice that it was so cloudy. Those are thick dark clouds that can bring rain. And the wind is picking up. Could it not be that we may have a storm coming?"

Parbesald said, "And where could we go? We are out in this canyon to get something, let us go on and get it now."

Jorald saw there was nothing else they could do. So they all went on further down the slope, until they were at the bottom where the ground, dry and dusty, with some of the dust being blown about now, leveled off. They went on toward the lake.

Fazibar said, "It was described as being by the edge of this lake. It had been seen, so we should see it if we look."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Meanwhile, in the area by the river beyond the gardening grounds of the Primary Vorrongan settlement Benorken told Mehlika. "Begin mornings with nettle tea from what you can gather here. When brewed as a tea it is medicinal and helps with comforting oneself. Nettle stimulates an internal system in us and we gain futher immunity. Nettle relieves arthritis. I found it strengthens the unborn in pregnant women and promotes milk production in the new mothers. And it gives relief to those with periods and helps with their cramps and bloating. It reduces inflammation, and constipation. It lessens nausea. It destroys parasites. It helps with breathing problems. It can be used in rituals for more effect. And here you will see other herbaceous growth that can also be used in rituals effectively. This here is nightshade, which we will handle carefully. But first do you have questions yet?"

hella baked and extra sweet
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

The elder clearly had a deep pride in his home. As she gazed over the field and gardens, Mehlika could see why. She quietly disagreed that everything was abundant, but didn’t want to appear unnecessarily ornery. Advanced weaponry and armor seemed hard to come by and even harder to replace, as evident by her lover’s urgent departure to retrieve the metal.

Rather than pressing her point, Mehlika replied, “Yes, you’re right about there being plenty to eat, and I’m amazed by the variety. There are more different types of crops on this plot alone than in the whole of my village, not considering the wild one also foraged.” She would find a way to broach the subject of the leather and metal again later when the path from her mind to her lips felt clearer and she could communicate more effectively.

“I admire your dedication,” she continued, keeping pace with Benorken. “It sounds like it’s been many years of restraint. In my village, they sometimes catch small rabbits. I haven’t tried for myself because I found them too cute. I wished to befriend the little creatures, not to eat them! But that same mentality didn’t extend to the fish, I must admit. My father always insisted my being weaker than my siblings was caused by abstaining from the darker meat of the rabbit. But here you tell me you haven’t even had the paler flesh of the river, and you seem sturdy to me!” She had only come to this place to be with Jorald, but perhaps would be enriched by more than his affections. Already the new ideas presented by the stones and different lifestyles were expanding her mind beyond the simple dreams of the typical domestic future she’d previously envisioned.

“I will remember the nettle, to be sure. I’ve heard of it being brewed with a pinch of mint to ease an unsettled stomach, but you know so many other uses for it as well! Funny you should mention the strengthening of an unborn child, though—” Thinking she saw a glimmer of questioning in the elder’s eye, Mehlika quickly added, “There is already so much adjustment, and I want to be able to focus on getting to know this place, and Jorald, better for now. Are there any plants here that might help manage the pace of our family’s growth? There were whisperings of a certain flower whose unbloomed buds could be eaten to stall a woman’s fertility, but if overused their effect would remain even after no longer desired. Is there a safer plant, or is it better to rely on er- more behavioral measures?” A rosy tint crept across her cheeks. It was an embarrassing question, but there seemed none with more expertise to ask.
    Last edited by trouble.muffin; 03-05-2021 at 04:53 AM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Benorken answered, "I see, I am sure of the kind of thing you want. There is a shrub which grows which is useful for that, which I can get an extraction from. It does not grow here anywhere near this river. It is what I call a soapberry plant, its fruits are useful for cleaning. It grows up along the cliff wall among that vegetation and trees between here and the Contrary Vorrongan people further up that way along the river. It is not the safest place to go. Perhaps we could find another young man or two here who would willingly accompany us out there and I could locate such a soapberry shrub then."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Benorken said still, "I can assure you that more individuals going through the wild wooded area is safer than one or two people who look vulnerable, the animals can be aggressive but would shy away from a number of people together. But if you are not in a hurry for us to acquire this useful shrub, you may ask me more of other things. And besides the plants and herbs I can speak about, there is certainly more about the glowing gemstones to know, if there would be yet an occasion that you might use one."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

"You seem to already understand that the glowing flowergemstones are rare and hard to come by. There are clues and signs still which I found to be associated with when one is found. These sorts of things are what I could share with you if you would train for ways to use any of them."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Benorken noted the far off look in the eyes of young Mehlika, and understood her thoughts were now far off with Jorald.

And Jorald and the five men with him had gone down into that other canyon a wide distance away, and they soon after came to that small lake in the middle. Fazibar said, "Keep on looking, the metal should be here and it could be spotted where it gleams."

Parbesald said, "I see it now. It is further that way, and it is in the water, though really close to this shore."

The other men looked toward where he indicated, and they quickly saw it too. They did not waste time then to go to it. They came to the edge of the water across from it. Jorald said, "Let's just go in and get it."

Parbesald said, "It looks larger than the previous metal that was found, don't you think?"

Jorald said, "I think we should go into the water and pull it out. We will see how much there is of it." He stepped into the water toward it, and the three other stronger men stepped in after him, and they gathered around on the different sides to lift it.

"Well, this is heavy. It must be bigger than the previous one."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Jorald responded, "The previous body of metal, from which we have the various metal tools we use, was acquired a very long time ago, you were not around to know what it was like."

Parbesald said, "We all have heard what it was like, so we know it was at first like the size and shape of a large citrus fruit. I really know the weight of the metal, I can tell just from that, besides the feel of the size, this is certainly bigger than that. It will be harder to move."

Jorald said, "Let us still get it out from this water, and we will see. Let's get it to the carrying structure you set there nearby."

The four put their strength into it and lifted the rather round body of metal from the water and carefully together moved with it to the carrying structure and set it down on it. It was indeed larger, like a quite large fruit.

Jorald felt a couple of drops on him. He looked around, saying, "I think rain will catch us." As he looked along the canyon wall he saw where a long crack was seen along it. Maybe there would be cover for them there. But he saw something else then. "Up there, at the top over this canyon! See, there are twelve or more men up there!"

The others looked that way. Parbesald said, "Those are men from the Contrary Vorrongan people! They are come to find and claim the metal themselves!"

Jorald said, "We cannot leave this here for them! We must take it ourselves!"
    Last edited by GodlyD&D; 03-16-2021 at 12:30 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast