Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [I]Feb 21 Event: Angel and Demon prompt: Siks x Breggo13 xx

Red Ninja
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

July 18th, 1839

My time on the human plane - at least my training here - is coming to an end. I only have a few weeks before we are recalled to the Heavens to undergo our final testing and assessment followed by the graduation ceremony, if it can be called that. I have always looked forward to that day - after attending four for my cousin and brothers, I have always felt pride and anticipation - but now, it simply means that my time with Liminal is coming to an end. I know it is selfish but….I wish that I could keep this going forever. Unfortunately, I cannot.

It warms my heart that at the very least, we are so close for him to become Uplifted. I didn’t think we would actually manage it but….he wants to change and I know that the Father is looking over him, seeing what choices he makes. I guided lost souls to him, knowing he could help them back onto their path by setting up choices and, through some twisting and finding specific cases, we managed to avoid too much attention from Heaven and Hell alike. The first time was the hardest - we fully anticipated that it would be the last but no one came looking.

I had to return to the Sanctuary a couple times to avoid suspicion though I tried to time it when Barachiel and the others were out. The cherubs made note of my coming and going, thankfully they cannot ask questions. Strangely, the Sanctuary no longer provides me with peace and calm. I feel trapped there, fearful and anxious, wondering when I will be reprimanded for my actions and if they will punish me with exile. In a strange way, I am grateful that the Human plane is so grey - my lies cannot be easily traced…

Midnight in the Conservatory. Despite having been in actual Heaven, this little spot by the tree has become something far more wondrous than the Father’s Kingdom in the clouds. Ever since their time together at the Toad Stool, it has become both Abigail and Liminal’s favorite spot; meeting in secret, sharing a few minutes together in peace and quiet then back into the grey uncertain world.

Having learned the Cherub’s patrols routes and where the wards were placed, Liminal could walk almost freely through the grounds of Sanctuary with no fear of being seen - not even the eagles cared. Everything seemed to be going so well for the Crossroad’s Demon, saving souls, once thought to be impossible for him, was now one of the main things he looked forward to in his day. Well that and spending time with his Angel. His Angel...the very idea used to make him picture all sorts of vile and lusty things. Having an Angel chained up in his room somewhere just waiting for him to come back and play with her. A prisoner to be used and put back in the closet to be played with later. But now it felt far different, Abigail meant so much more to him than just a plaything. Though she was quite fun to play with, nothing as intimate as that first night in the undercroft, but playful like it was in the maze earlier this summer. And with the very real possibility of him becoming Uplifted, maybe they could take it to the next level.

Marriage was a novelty in the Pit. You could do it, and the other denizens of the dark would play along and throw bits of flesh and bone as confetti, but once it was all said and done, all you gain was an easy access to sex. Don’t need to hunt around and ask, just take your wedded other and go at it. Not even having spawn is any different when married, you’ll just know who the other parent is. His mind wandered at the possibility of marrying Abigail now, the only thing that stopped him was the truth he’d been keeping from her. Once he was Uplifted, he wouldn’t know her from the milk maid down the lane.

He saw what it did to Mazikeen. Just seeing Grixgis...or Mary now... was like having a dagger rammed into her heart a hundred times a minute. He could only hope that wouldn’t happen to Abi and him, but Maze and Grix were two female Demons, maybe the fact it’s a man and women this time would make a difference? Maybe even more so because one of them is an Angel? He couldn’t say and while his views on the Sky Daddy were changing, he was not ready to pray to him yet. Instead, as he walked through the back door of Abi’s conservatory, he saw he was the first one here. Plucking a pomegranate from the tree, he sat down and waited picking at the fruit gently.

Abi was running late but there was nothing she could do about it - Barachiel had wanted tea and her cousin was wrapping up another visit. Try as she might, she couldn’t get out of speaking with Rakul for a few minutes and it was that conversation that was on her mind as she made her way to the Conservatory. They had both been distracted which Abi considered a blessing in disguise - something else troubled the Justice that he wasn’t keen on sharing and Abi wasn’t about to pry. Prying, after all, easily went both ways and he was the one person in the world she absolutely hated lying to. She itched to tell him all about her adventures but now was not yet the time. Once Liminal was Uplifted and she returned home, that was when she would confide in Rakul but not quite yet.
    He didn’t say much as they stood on the veranda but his whole countenance seemed drained. As Abi shifted on the balls of her feet, Rakul seemed to finally come to some decision. “Did you find the book you were looking for?”

Abi froze before nodding. “Yes, although it was very technical. There were quite a few passages I couldn’t decipher. It piqued my curiosity though I didn’t want to trouble you when you were busy.”

“Oh? I have time now,” Rakul offered, looking at her. Abi bit her lip, trying to remember.

“‘And he who was uplifted will be reborn, burned clean by the flames of Heaven to see everything in a new light. And the seven he saves will be his payment to the future and he will be forgiven,’” she recited. “What does that mean, be reborn? Is it actually or will that be something more metaphorical? I can never tell with the Archangels.”

“Hum, I cannot be certain - there is always subtext when it comes to Rapheal,” Sighing, the Justice closed his eyes. “I can try to ask around and see if any of my brethren have any insight. It will take a while but I am sure that Barachiel keeps you busy. I have heard that you are looking in on a few straying souls recently.”

“It gives me pleasure to right their way, Cousin,” Abigail blushed, shamed that she was taking credit for Liminal’s work. Rakul smiled .

“You make us proud, Abigail. I must be off - I will try to have some answers for you the next time I visit.”

Lost in thought, Abi opened the door to the conservatory, slipping inside and allowing her blue eyes to adjust to the darkness before coming towards the protective branches of the pomegranate tree, her fingers brushing against the leaves.

As the young woman came around the tree, a pair of golden eyes looked at her from the shadows and before she could react, Liminal’s lips came up to hers and kissed her fondly. His hand coming around to grip her waist. He held her close for a few seconds before he broke the kiss and stepped back still smiling broadly. “Thought for sure, you were locked up in Angel Prison somewhere and I’d have Warriors and Justices on my head any minute.” He joked, his Virginian accent front and center as always when he spoke with her, but still that has been an ever present fear for them both these past few weeks.

“No, not tonight,” Abi smiled though the thought of it made her heart race with fear. Fear not for herself but for the Demon who was so close to salvation. “Though, we should get going. I think I know where we need to go tonight.”

Taking her hand lightly, he bowed to her coming up with a wink. “Lead on my Angel, just hope it ain’t another stalled birthing I gotta help with. I can still smell the last one on my hands. Why did no one tell me human women are so messy when popping out lil’ humans?” He chuckled making a show of wiping his hands off on his coat and pants.

Abigail raised an eyebrow and pursed her lips slightly. “Birth is considered a miracle and any newborn is an angel on earth. That should have earned you more faithful energy than many others.” Shaking her head at his mocking display, she slipped out of the Conservatory and through the back gate, knowing to be slow and deliberate so as to not draw the attention of the guards. Once they were safely outside the Sanctuary walls, she relaxed, slipping her hood back and linking hands with the Demon as they started down towards the Shire.

Liminal simply laughed at her comeback. She had become quite a bit more snappy since he first met her and he loved every second of it. He walked the darkened streets and country roads of Dravenmonthshire many times. However, in his travels with Abigail out among the humans, he began seeing things differently. Where once he saw only deals to be made and souls to be collected, now he could see the nuances of humanity.

The time they take out of their days for idle chatter with friends they met on a walk. Or watching a father split his time between patching a hole in the roof and teaching his son how to properly hammer a nail into a board. Things he was sure they themselves took for granted, but for him it was all new and curious. If he didn’t know any better, he’d say being around an Angel so much, turned him into how Abigail was when she first came down to the Mortal Plane - full of wanderlust and looking for the best in everything. With Abigail’s angel sense leading the way, Liminal allowed his mind to wander and watch things. While nowhere near as good as the Angel beside him about sniffing out those in need, he had seen a few things to look into later once this last soul was saved.

The Angel led them towards the Southern region of the Shire where the smells of London were much stronger. For weeks, the Guardian Angels have been following the trails of missing children that have vanished into thin air. At first, Abigail thought it was another heartless lord or lady sacrificing their souls for money and power, but all Demon activity in Dravenmonthshire has quieted down tremendously since word got around that Justice Bringers were roaming the hills and streets. So the next worst thing became the truth. Humans were trafficking their own. Even in the more civilized parts of the world, slavery still happened, and in some places it never stopped.

Tonight, the Guardian in training led her Demon to the warehouse of an Italian Merchant. The name was unimportant, because as Abigail and Liminal walked onto the street where the warehouse was located, they could see no less than seven children shackled together. Two young boys in their early teens and five girls ranging from what could be guessed five to thirteen. Whenever one cried, they were all struck by bullish men wielding wooden switches. The older kids tried to protect the younger, the boys trying their hardest. Their eyes and lips were all bloody and one looked like he was about to go unconscious, but still he held the hand of a young girl of six trying to calm her. Ducking into an alley, the pair of do-gooders crouched in the shadows watching and waiting.

Abigail’s hands absently formed into fists and she bit her lip, watching from the shadows as the kids fought treachery with pure bravery of the heart. Sighing, she turned away. “You have to help them. I...I don’t know what’s the best way but…” She shrugged. Squeezing his shoulder in silent wish of luck, she turned invisible and wandered towards the children. Although she could not stop their suffering, she could comfort them silently and that was exactly what she did, her hands landing lightly on the little ones’ heads and sending soft waves of warmth through them.

Kids were something he never liked messing with. Other Demons did it and that was their business, but for him they were always off limits. This would be easier than the other tasks as far as he was concerned. As Abigail went to give comfort to the kids, the cowboy slipped through a hole in the wall. Becoming a cold breeze, he flew through the warehouse, sweeping for more kids before deciding on a course of action. Operations like this didn’t waste time moving small groups of kids over a longer time frame. They bunched them up and shipped them out wholesale like cod from the sea.

Finding whatever passes for a holding cell in this place and waiting for the brutes to dump this new group of kids off would be the best way to make this succeed. Flitting about Liminal began to suspect the merchant had no idea what his building was being used for. It was largely empty looking almost abandoned with just a few parcels of bulk items like stone or wood listing against each other on crumbling pallets. Whatever they were they must not be too valuable, so Lim wouldn’t have to worry about collateral damage this time. Once the kids were safe he could burn this whole place down to ground with little effort. But that would be for later right now he had some kids to save. Finishing his sweep he did in fact find a holding cell with other kids inside. They men had turned an old office into a large jail cell, the windows were barred and the wooden door had been replaced with something ripped from an actual dungeon somewhere. Heavy wood, thick bars in the tiny window, and multiple cast iron locks.

Dropping down he studied the locks individually. Solid for sure, but every lock’s weakpoint are the bolts that hold the thing together. With a little bit of fire manipulation he could melt through them without setting the door on fire. Deciding on his plan he smoked away hiding up in the rafters as the men and captured children approached. He could feel Abigail’s presence before he saw the group, her patience and kindness filled the air like a warm breeze. The children were quiet, but no longer crying many of them bowing their heads in prayer. And much to his amusement the men looked nervous, Abigail told him that sometimes evil people can feel a Guardian Angel’s presence. And if that presence is strong enough it can work as a deterrent for wrong doing, and seeing that actually gave the young Demon a brilliantly fun idea. Solidifying he slipped on the Guardian Mask that allowed him to hide his Demonic Aura from Humans. A little gift from his lover after his first successful soul saved.

Becoming increasingly impatient and nervous one of the brutes hurriedly opened the cell and tossed the kids into joining a group of four other kids. “Now you little shites be quiet! Be good and we’ll make sure you go to nice homes.” The tallest of the two men snarled before wiping spit from his disfigured mouth. Sharing a cruel laugh with his comrade he slammed the door and locked it walking briskly away from the prisoners with the shadowy form of Liminal following closely behind. Willing his presence out the men soon felt the air grow many degrees colder, the air bit their exposed arms and faces. The shorter man even clasped his hands over his large sensitive ears at the sudden cold. “What in the blood ‘ell is this?” He squealed dancing a little as it grew colder. "Feel like sum’un dumped me head in the Thames!”

The tall man growled smacking the other’s head. “Well ye already smelt like they did. Now shut your gob we got another load o’ brats to nab up a’fore we send the boat.”

“No.” Lim’s disguised voice sounded from the darkness all around them.

Jumping nearly out of their skins the men brandished their switches standing back to back. Being the braver of the two the tall man shouted out. “O’alright whoever the fuck you are! Come out naow!”

His smaller buddy gulped his fear down. “I knew it was too cold in ‘ere!”

Materializing before them, Liminal’s black coat billowed out behind him. The mask he wore glowing like the white hot fire of the sun. In his hand he carried a simple crate axe he lifted from the tool close, but that wasn’t what the two men saw. Due to the enchantment around Abigail’s mask, the Demon Liminal was now sporting a pair of large white wings and carried a fiery sword in his hand. Looking every bit the warrior angel humans painted in the Chapels. Holding up his weapon Liminal said a single word. “Judgement.” The two men paled instantly, the smaller one fainting straight away, the tall man keeping his feet under him long enough to run from the warehouse screaming at the top of his lungs. The sounds of Constable whistles soon filled the air as the patrolman converged on the building. But as they arrived all they would find is a man unconscious on the ground, a crate axe embedded in the wood by his head, and a room full of children eager to go back to their parents.

...We have done it. I cannot believe that it actually worked although...I do not know what happens now. I am still too excited to sleep, I am so proud of Liminal! He is free! Or close to it. Yet, what I told Rakul is true. I do not fully understand the transition itself between Demon and Uplifted. Does it happen instantaneously? Overnight? In a year or a century? And what is this rebirth and flames that the Archangel mentioned?

I wish I could be permitted to ask questions, but I am so close to helping my Demon be free, I can’t give up on him now. And asking for any help that is more direct than what I have asked my Cousin will surely bring all of Heaven’s warriors upon us. Frankly, we will be lucky if it is just the Heavens that assault us. I fear, it may be Hell as well for how can the depths of sin be so forgiving of their own leaving for something better and purer? For now, I must get some rest and deal with the questions as they come.

Abigail

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

Little ball of fire
    Fantasy, Mature, Private....Unless you dare to get me curious...
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

August 2nd, 1839

It has been over a fortnight now but there has been no changes. None for Liminal in any case and, may I say it without jinxing, none for me. We haven’t been able to see each other since that night but we keep our communication up through Maze and the Toad Stool. The demoness doesn’t welcome him there anymore - I cannot agree with her but I can understand her. She is protecting her own, those who have come there to survive without being under scrutiny from Hell or Heaven. With Liminal now a walking target, it is no wonder she declined him sanctuary a second time. I do not know where he is hiding and I am sad to say, it is for the best. My ignorance may be some protection for him. At least, Maze continues to pass our letters back and forth.

The season is coming to an end and I find it quite amusing now to dance with the humans and flirt a bit, much to the shock and disapproval of Lady Barachiel. She expects us all to remain proper and virtuous but there is such fun in dancing and it is the only thing that can keep my mind off of Liminal at present. I have stopped drawing as anything I put on paper immediately reminds me of him and I end up destroying it in frustration. Much like passion and love, frustration is such a new feeling for me though it is not as wonderful as those two. It eats me up and I know I haven’t been fully myself. By now, I fear everyone else notices it too but they are too concerned to bring it up just yet. Perhaps, they are scared they will get infected by it as well.

I hope that Rakul comes soon - I want to be done with this crazy plot of ours before I am recalled to Heaven which will be, unfortunately, rather soon. I have only one last ball to look forward to and I know Liminal will not be attending. After all, how could he when it will be hosted in the Sanctuary gardens with cherubs in abundance? That would be suicidal even for him. Thus, I plan to enjoy my night to the fullest for who knows what punishment I will face once I leave the Human Plane? There is no way I will be able to keep secrets in Heaven…

The grandiose end-of-the-season ball hosted by the Austrian countess and attended by more than just the local gentry was always an event marked in the social calendars of all the socialites of that season. This year was no different - Lady Barachiel had managed to outdo herself or so were the whispers of those who had attended any of her previous events. As the lords and ladies of the town arrived in elegant carriages, the women helped out by perfectly dressed and gallant valets, they were greeted by Lady Barachiel and most of her brood. Most as the youngest among them had managed to be snatched up into the dancing and was already gracing the huge outdoor ballroom with her charm and grace, her midnight blue dress sweeping easily across the floor.

Frankly, for most who have attended the balls before and those who have seen the Austrian duchess at their events, it was a pleasant change to see one of her distant relatives fully enjoying the season even as her Austrian mask of cold disdain remained somewhat in place. In contrast to her siblings, the young Frau Abigail was pleasant and open, slowly growing more confident and lively as the season went on and gaining quite a few admirers along the way. None of them fancied her favor and none seemed to please her grandmother but the change in at least one of the van Hellen’s was greeted with much enthusiasm.

Abigail herself had become quite the debutante - she no longer desired to stand beside her boss night on end, simply observing the happenings with a calm gaze. Nor was she satisfied with the few dances only the bravest among the men were ready to offer. Having finally understood emotions in ways that she was certain few other celestials ever felt, she was at home among the whispering young ladies and amiably taking shots at the flirtatious men. The simple thought of a waltz or foxtrot did not make her blush with horror but rather smile with pleasure. She had realized, to her own chagrin, that she absolutely loved dancing and the tete-a-tete conversations she found herself in during those minutes of a dance. Simple and pure, they revealed so much more of a person’s inner thoughts and feelings than any amount of observation could produce. And when she danced, she could forget about her darkest troubles.

Lady Barachiel smiled as yet another family passed her, tilting her head in greeting and listening as the Lady of that household - Viscountess of some small county somewhere or other - she couldn’t help pondering about the change that had come upon her youngest charge. The girl had always shown promise with her heightened empathy and desire to protect. That, however, always put her at risk of being consumed by emotion. With such promising protegees, Barachiel preferred to wait a few more centuries, bring them up slowly but Abigail was so eager and so innocent. Besides, the support of her family and their belief in her prospects had swayed the Archangel to cave in. The result had been as she feared - the young Angel had given in to all the emotions of the Human Plane. It was hard to distinguish at first but now that she had observed her the past few weeks, she could see it plainly.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t much that the Archangel could do directly, not when she sensed what had occurred and with whom. She watched the young Angel with sadness and joy at once, even some admiration. Would she herself, at the start of creation, have had the courage that Abigail displayed, a bit misplaced as it was? More importantly, would she have the courage to go through with what would come. Not that she could go against the higher powers and speak of things that were tabooed to those who did not go through the same path. Barachiel knew only second hand and thus, she was bound to silence. Abigail would have to discover the truth some other way.

At the moment, Abigail was dancing with one of her friends, completely unaware of the things plaguing her mentor and happily laughing as the young man retolled a story from his university days. Much like the rest, it was childish fun and debauchery but Abigail nevertheless found every story uniquely amusing and enticing. Spinning around, she grinned as her partner deviated for half a step from the pattern before coming together once more.

“You seem much happier today than the last time at Lord Wittlebrow’s party last week,” he commented as they came together, Abigail having to look up into his sparkling brown eyes.

“Dancing with you does take my troubles away,” she replied, “It’s a lot harder to focus on my troubles when you are telling me tales of how you snuck a pig into the dean’s office and the poor man screamed like a woman caught naked. Your words, not mine.”

“My word, Lady Abigail, you mock my stories,” James made a rather hurt expression that didn’t reach his eyes. For a brief second, Abi wondered what coloured eyes Liminal would have once he became Uplifted - she doubted that he would remain with the unsettling yellow that were more animal like than she cared to admit. In the dark, they became like ambers and she liked them but….sometimes, she wondered what would change about him once he was no longer tied to Hell. “After all the times that I have made you laugh. You break my heart.”

“I am sure that triumph cannot be attributed to me alone,” Abi chuckled. “I have heard quite a few young ladies laugh while dancing with you and shooting less than ladylike glances when you cannot see.”

“And how is it that you see it?” James raised an eyebrow.

“I’m just naturally observant,” she retorted without missing a beat. “Besides, they do not hide it as well as they think. They may not do it to your face but the second a gentleman is no longer looking, it becomes a much different story.”

“Touche,” the man responded as the song ended and he gave her an elegant bow. Curtsying in response, Abigail took his hand as he led her off the dance floor. “You must have your dance card full.”

“No, I have a break now,” Abi checked before using the card as a fan. “A good thing too, I would love some of the punch.”

“Your wish is my command,” James led the way, pushing through groups of people with Abi in tow before they were in the back. Pouring two cups, he handed one to her with mocking cheers. “Rumours have been running wild. Tell me Abigail - do you have a fiance back in Austria?”

“What?” The question was so random, that the young woman nearly spit out her drink. Shaking her head, she lowered the cup from her lips. “Why would you assume that?”

“You have been ignoring all of us all season,” the man shrugged, amused. “It has always been the burning question - are the Van Hellens all here with prior engagements? Is this a punishment? Who knows, who knows.”

“Who knows indeed,” Abi murmured. “Though I cannot say for prior engagements, my heart is no longer free.”

“Of that I have been assured time and time again,” James responded, his attention suddenly drawn away by some commotion not far. “Would you excuse me terribly if I go and look? I believe Charlie is about to show off his Spanish fandango again.”

“Charlie Wittney dancing? I cannot hold you back from such entertainment. Go, please,” smiling as she watched her companion disappear among the groups of dancers and attendees, Abigail took another sip of her cup. For all his attempts to woo her, James had a kind heart and he did care for her even when he knew she would never return his attention. Watching the people mingling before her, Abi leaned against one of the columns, her mind wandering to the past few weeks and the lack of news. It didn’t make sense - none of it did.

“Have you seen the rogue American lately?” The phrase came out of nowhere and made Abigail freeze, becoming all hearing.

“You mean the handsome one, constantly appearing out of the blue?” the second girl responded before a pause. “No, not since the middle of the season.”

“Neither have I. Quite a shame - he is always so much fun even if he is a good for nothing kind of sort,” the third was one of the older debutantes that must have been out for a season or two before and was aware of Liminal.

“What do you mean - good for nothing? He seems quite good at somethings,” they giggled, trying to hide it behind fans and hands but Abi could still hear their shy shamelessness.

“Obviously he is good enough to be a lover once you are married but he is not the marriageable type. I heard that the youngest of the Austrians was seen around him at a few affairs.”

“The poor girl - she must be helplessly in love.”

“If I was noticed to be entertaining such behavior, I am sure I would die of shame. An unmarried lady cohorting with one of his kind? Preposterous!”

“Shh, shh, what if someone hears?” that was the first one again, shushing as her friends giggled again. “Though I have heard from Marianne who heard it from Francesca who had it from a very reliable source that a van Hellen cousin was coming to duel with the American! A duel to the death, can you believe it?”

Abigail’s hand shook as she listened, not daring to breathe and yet unable to stop herself from listening. Her heart echoed in her chest with some hollowness she didn’t know she had, a feeling of emptiness that started to consume her. Rakul. Rakul was going to kill Liminal and she had no idea her cousin had come. She had to stop him, to catch him and….Abigail wasn’t certain what exactly she could do to persuade her Justice cousin to stop but she was willing to try anything.

“Have you seen this cousin? Is he as good looking as the rest of them?”

“No, he hasn’t come tonight but they must have one bad sheep in the family!”

Abigail didn’t hear the rest - her cup crashed to the ground but she was no longer there to see it as she lifted her skirt and started towards the house, trying not to break into a full out run. She didn’t see her mentor follow her with a slight frown nor did she pay attention to her friends and brethren follow her with their gazes. As she pushed through the doors to the Sanctuary, all she focused on was finding the one Angel who would be the difference between her own survival and damnation. For if Liminal died, she was uncertain she would be able to keep going.

“Abigail? Is that you?” As she burst into the library panting, the young angel stopped, her blue eyes landing on Rakul, slowly standing up from his seat on the sofa, concern written across his face. “Is everything alright?”

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Spoiler: Entry 12 

Spoiler: entry 13 
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 02-21-2021 at 03:39 AM.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12