Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mermaid’s Scale (SaltyIrishman x Scottie) Feb. 21 Event

Field Cryptozoologist
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

"My granddad sang it...I think. I only know vague words of it now...Can you sing it again?" He was smiling now, less afraid. When he was scrambling across the beach like a terrified crab, he didn’t seem half-bad. Maybe it was this new, more human-ish form, or meeting a human in person that made her agree, but for one reason or another, she nodded.

Taking a deep breath of the salty air, she began to sing in her lilting, magical voice. It conjured up images of a grey sky and a green sea, of lonely men and longing wives. While she sang, she thought of how the sirens used to lure sailors to their deaths with similar singing. When she finished, her mouth closed and she stared at the man. The wind whipped her hair and she shivered.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

The Scottish Fluff
    Willing to give everything a try
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

The smile remained fixed on his face as he awaited the response. He half expected her to say no and disappear under the murky water. Perhaps she would just become a faint curious memory or more likely, he would awake from whatever tumble he had taken on his way across to the small cove and realise it had all been a hallucination. He dragged a deep breath in through his nostrils, the salt air calming the nerves that filled his chest. Then the creature before him starting to sing.

Tilting her head back as she let the words drift skywards. Dara let his mouth hang open in awe, the voice was like nothing he had ever heard before yet it somehow sounded familiar. Maybe it was because of how the song danced so gracefully with the gently crashing waves behind her. The song caressed him like a hug from his mother, instantly warming his cold fingertips and putting him at ease. The man took a small step forward, the smile that graced his face was a genuine one of true awe and gratitude.

The singing stopped and Dara opened his mouth to inform the creature of her beautiful singing when she shivered. Instinctively, Dara placed the grabber and bag (tucked under the weight of his boot to stop other pesky bottles from escaping) on the pebbled beach and shrugged off his heavy jacket. "Here, you'll get a horrid cold if you don't warm up." He held out the coat to her.

Field Cryptozoologist
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

She nodded her thanks, wrapping the thick fabric around her torso. It took a moment for it to really give her warmth, but it shielded her from the worst of the wind.

“Normally I’m a fair bit warmer. Not really meant to be spending so much time above the surface.” She remarked. It wasn’t exactly a lie; she was normally warmer, except it was under a layer of thick green blubber and muscle. And she really wasn’t meant to be spending too much time out of water. The tide washed over her translucent tail fluke, a gull’s piercing cry drawing her eyes out to sea.

She turned back to the human, who had the same look as a young dolphin: awestruck and tentative. Shrugging the coat off of her shoulders, she held it at arms length toward him.

“I have to get back now. But I enjoyed this. Meet me here again tomorrow morning. Maybe humans aren’t all bad.” She flashed him a grin before leaping into the waves. When she was sure he couldn’t see it, she returned to her original form and sped off, leaving a wake of bubbles. Bubbles and a single golden scale atop the rock she had perched on.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

The Scottish Fluff
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

He was so very proud when she accepted the heavy material and shrugged it over her shoulders. He was happy that he had helped her maybe just a little bit. Dara listened carefully, drinking in everything that she told him. Her gaze drifted back to the sea and he followed her, looking off to where the darker grey meets the light grey. It looked like a painting, only the soft bobbing waves brought the painting to life.

He sensed her looking at him and turned his attention back to her. Taking the coat with a confused look as it had been so quickly accepted and then swiftly returned to him. Get back where? Where did she live? Was there another cove like this or did she live beneath the waves? Dara gifted her a small smile and nodded violently at the suggestion of another meeting. He held the jacket tightly in his grip and watched her leap into the water. Sinking swiftly beneath the grey water and out of sight. He would have believed in that moment that it was all a dream or hallucination, had it not been for the shining golden scale that sat atop the rock.

He froze for a moment. Terrified that she had left it as some sort of test. Waiting from beneath the waves to see if he would steal it. Minutes passed but he felt like it had been hours. Staring at the scale like it would give him exactly what he needed. He crept closer and after much hesitation, as he glanced out to the water, he plucked the scale up. It felt warm under his fingertips and he quickly placed it into his pocket.

A smile was sent to the water before he turned and swiftly finished his task. The last few pieces of rubbish were snatched up and then the man was off the beach. Truly excited for the following meeting.

Field Cryptozoologist
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

The next day was brighter than the day before. The sun broke through the clouds, warming the beach and sea. Once again, a flash of green light and a transformation. This time, she elected to stay in the water, clutching a rock to stay anchored near the beach while she waited for her delightful human friend. To pass the time, she sang an old song about the collecting of seaweed.

“A 'níon mhín ó, sin anall na fir shúirí, A mháithairin mhín ó, cuir na roithléan go dtí mé.” Her voice crested over the waves and wind, echoing against the rocks of the beach. The gulls fell silent as she sang, listening in their avian curiosity. Her tail drifted slowly behind her.

The Scottish Fluff
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Excitement had coursed through his veins that night. The walk home from the beach had been at a faster pace than normal, usually, he preferred to stay out in the cool evening as the thought of returning to an empty house was a painful one. But that night, he was back home in no time. Locking the door tightly behind him as he took the stairs two at a time, his fingers still wrapped tight around the scale that he had plucked up from the stones of the beach.

On the mantlepiece was a small wooden box. His grandfather had carved the thing years ago, a small jewellery box for his wife. The box now sat empty as his grandmother had requested to be buried in every piece of jewellery her husband had ever gifted her so he'd recognise her at the pearly gates. Dara's mother had never brought herself to putting anything in the box but Dara could remember being a young child and hiding small notes there for his grandmother or putting flower petals there for his mother. Now the box would hold the most important thing he had in his possession. If the stories his grandmother had told him were true...then this could change everything.

On a day off like this, Dara would often spend most of the morning in bed before spending the afternoon with his mother in the hospital. He would often bring her fresh flowers and try to make her laugh. This morning was not like those other mornings, today he was up with the first screech of a gull that drifted through his curtains. He ate a quick breakfast before dressing up warmly, grabbing another rubbish bag and his grabber. He high tailed it out of the house, half of a piece of toast still firmly clenched between his teeth.

Dara decided to at least tidy some of the beach up on his way to see the creature again. He really did want to give the creature a good impression of the humans but the state of the beach was a pitiful one. Dara rolled up his sleeves and started to collect the paper bags from the chippie and cans of juice that had been flung into the beach. Barely an hour passed of collecting rubbish when Dara heard the song drifting over the wind.

Like an enthusiastic puppy, he frantically tried to make his way across the rocks towards the singing. Even as the gulls grew silent, Dara's loud deep breathing echoed alongside the singing. He barely caught himself as he nearly fell into the water. Righting himself, he headed across the pebbled beach towards the singing creature. His heart jumping into his throat as his eyes confirmed that yesterday was not a hallucination after all. He waited until she had finished with her beautiful song before gifting her a massive smile.

"You came back!"

Field Cryptozoologist
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Her voice nearly faltered and she almost broke composure when Dara came bounding over the beach, nearly tumbling into the waves next to her. Nearly. Her voice was like water, fluid and full of movement. If she had legs, she might have danced. As her song ended, Dara’s face broke out into a grin like the sun. She couldn’t help but return the smile.

“You came back!”

“Of course I did. It was either meet up with my human friend or go pearl-hunting. Pearls are nice, but I’d rather talk to you than scrounge for oysters the entire day.” Her tail swished from side to side, and a thoughtful look came over her face.

“Do you have a boat?”

The Scottish Fluff
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Dara kept a tight grip on the bag of rubbish that he had collected, determined this time to not let a single scrap float away. He wanted to impress the young mermaid, he wanted to change her opinions about humans. Not all were bad. Not all of them wanted to poison the sea and squeeze out every last resource that it had. Pearl hunting?. That had his eyebrows shoot up towards his hairline. He had never truly imagined a mermaid hunting for pearls. But then again, he had never truly imagined a mermaid doing anything.

"Do you have a boat?"

The question appeared to have been stewing on her mind for a while as a thoughtful look graced her features. Dara rubbed his free hand over the back of his neck, picking up the few beads of sweat that lingered there. "Aye...I mean...Well...Technically" He stumbled over his words and then paused, letting his mind settle over his sentence before he spoke next. "I work on a boat. On the Biddy Met. We go out most mornings for fish. I've always wanted a boat of my own. I love being out on the water, but alas...I have yet to scrounge the money together to get one."

He waited a moment before letting a question that had been stewing on his own mind, burst into the quiet air. "Do you like boats? I mean...Nan said that mermaids hate the boats and don't often go near em. That you were feart of being caught by mean men."

Field Cryptozoologist
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

She mulled over the question for a moment.

“Hrm. Well yes and no. Boats are an interesting idea, and make good homes when they wreck. But yes, a mermaid must be careful. Our fears used to just be the sailors, but now they muck up the water and have that spinning bit at the back. It’s not pretty when a mermaid gets her hair caught in that.” She shuddered briefly as images flashed in her mind. Suddenly, her eyes lit up and she grinned.

“We should play a game! Tell me something about yourself, and I’ll tell you something about myself.”

The Scottish Fluff
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Shipwrecks, he had never truly thought about that. He envisioned the Little Mermaid, the young mermaid floating through the ship and finding trinkets. The sweet image twisted with the reality of what true wrecks actually were like. The bones that litter the sand beneath her as her tail flicks through the shipwreck gave the once sweet image a rather grim appearance.

Muck up the water. That stung more than the young mermaid intended but Dara tried to ignore it. The propeller and the mermaid's hair...that was something he never needed to see nor even think about ever again. The sudden change of the mermaids face startled Dara until the almost childish request broke through the soft crashing of the waves.

Dara could play a game, he could tell her something. "Um..." He paused for a second and thought about something that would maybe be interesting to a mermaid. "Um...I...I'm an only child. My da was a fisherman like me but he passed a while ago. I like singing...and swimming..and dancing. I'm not that interesting." He laughed gently and rubbed a hand over the back of his neck. "And you?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast