Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [OOC] Afterlife [M]

Star of the Dawn
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Default [OOC] Afterlife [M]

This RP is rated M, and may therefore contain (unless specifically prohibited by this site’s Mature Content rules)...
    • Action/Fantasy Violence
    • Depictions of Occult Practices
    • Strong Language/Innuendo
    • Mature Sexual Content
    • Drug/Alcohol Usage
    • Partial or Complete Nudity

Spoiler: Main Plot 

Spoiler: RP Rules 

Spoiler: Types of Spirits 

Spoiler: Character Sheets 

Spoiler: Accepted Characters 
    Last edited by Lady Celeste; 03-01-2021 at 06:10 AM.
    Thanks for the set, Kicks!

Field Cryptozoologist
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

I’m definitely interested, but what’s the time frame here? I’ve got an idea for a character that dates back to the 1860’s. Is that fine, or a bit too long? If it is, what’s the earliest point in time for a viable character?
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

Star of the Dawn
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

The RP itself is set in the present day, but ghosts from the distant past are perfectly acceptable. In fact, without spoiling too much, the 1860s are actually very recent compared to when Aidoneus was alive. That said, when playing chronologically older ghosts, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Ghosts who have stayed on Earth for a long time without crossing over tend to be exceptionally strong in terms of raw power, but can become metaphysically weak and/or unstable if they stick around for too long. There is no universal threshold for when a ghost might start to experience this, as it depends heavily on each individual ghost’s adaptability (esp. to the changing times) and sheer will to “survive” on the mortal plane. For example, Aidoneus is essentially the ghost equivalent of the Squishy Wizard trope: very powerful, but highly prone to burnout and/or loss of control if he uses too much power without stopping to rest.

Your 1860s character’s case is unlikely to be that extreme, but assuming they chose to stay behind for whatever reason, I imagine they might range from reasonably well-adjusted (give or take the possibility of culture shock with regard to the modern world) to a highly volatile poltergeist, depending on how strongly they want to stay behind and how well/poorly they would’ve adjusted to the world around them changing over time. Or if they didn’t stay behind willingly, that alone would make them more likely to become unstable until they finally find some sort of peace.
    Last edited by Lady Celeste; 02-22-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Field Cryptozoologist
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Wonderful. In that case, here is my character:

Spoiler: Sir Thaddeus Grimshaw 
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

Star of the Dawn
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Ooh, this is getting exciting already! I could see Thaddeus having some very heated past conflicts with the Guild over the course of his revenge spree, since Aidoneus very strongly opposes revenge purely for its own sake and nothing else (especially if innocents get hurt in the process) and forbids any Guild members from taking any such revenge unless necessary to avoid future harm. Still, I don’t think the Guild would hold any real grudge against Thaddeus after the fact, since by all accounts Thaddeus has more or less chilled out after completing his revenge; Aidoneus’ post-revenge approach to Thaddeus would probably be like “I can’t condone what you did in the past, but you’re a different person now and I respect that, so let’s just forget about it and move on”.

Accepted, and I look forward to seeing Thaddeus in the RP!
    Last edited by Lady Celeste; 02-22-2021 at 11:33 PM.

The Shadow's Embrace
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Spoiler: Stitched 
    I am the blade of shadows embrace. Just because I am a user of an unholy power doesn't make me evil. For without light, a shadow cannot exist.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Heson Shadowbane is on discord! For those friends of mine that want to keep in touch with me just send me a message and I'll give ya my deets.

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Interesting.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

Star of the Dawn
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

@Heson; That is a really interesting concept! I only have one relatively small point about it that I wanted to clarify, which I've sent to you via Discord. Once that's settled, though, you should be all set!

UPDATE: Heson and I have just finished smoothing out all the details, so Stitches is now accepted!
    Last edited by Lady Celeste; 02-23-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Star of the Dawn
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Just sent out a Discord link to everyone who posted here. That way we won’t have to fill up the OOC thread so much that it scares away potential joiners.

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

NAME
    Mortimer Grimm

AFFILIATIONS
    None

OCCUPATION
    Exorcist/Alchemist

SPECIALTY
    Arcane Expertise, Alchemy, Exorcism.

OTHER SKILLS
    Sword fighting, Athletics, Staff fighting, Well-educated, Wealthy, Rune.

APPEARANCE
    Spoiler: Mortimer 

HISTORY
    Born to the ancient and damn near unkillable line of Grimm, Mortimer was the second son of Jameson and Meredith Grimm. His brother Malik was first born and expected to take over the family business from their father, but Malik's failure during a training session paved the way for Mortimer. It was one of the harshest lessons learned by the young wizard, never underestimate the magic of this world. While his family's primary business was alchemy of all sorts, the crowning jewel and likely the sole reason for their wealth though is the Elixir of Life.

Not quite the true immortality of the Philosopher's Stone of Alchemical legend, but it's far easier to make. One of their line Alexander Grimm, did work closely with Nicolas Flamel, but the French scribe kept all his secrets for the stone to himself right until he vanished from history. Alexander worked for years to find the right formula, but of his many tries he never unlocked the secrets of the stone. One of his failures proved to be the next closest thing. And Elixir of Life made from the ectoplasm of the deceased. As always happened with a new discovery, ethics were brought up and after nearly being wiped out the Grimm conceded to only use the spirits of criminals and the like for their experiments. But as the many powers of Europe changed and burned down over the years the family of Wizard's learned how to dance around the once hard line of Ethics and who would be considered criminals. Rigging the system and working themselves into the good graces of countless nobles and other prominent wizards and alchemists throughout history.

While never officially wearing a crown, the Grimm line has been at the backs of leaders from the likes of Britain, France, Italy, and Spain. They steered where they needed and simply reaped the benefits, and now hundreds of years later Mortimer is set to inherit all that wealth, power, and influence. Having perfected the long term holding of spirits so their essences can be leeched of off for years until having grown to weak are simply exorcised to make room for a newer or more powerful spirit. Many would call it cruel, and even level accusations of slavery at him and his family. But the dead are just that...the dead. Their rights left them as their spirits left their bodies and until the courts of man legislate for the afterlife there is no one that will take such accusations seriously especially when the accuser looks like a crazy person and the Grimm's simply look like innocent people that use their wealth and influence for countless charitable organizations. Always "giving back" to the people.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast