Thread: Diablo II: Nostalgia Resurrected

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Adventure, Fantasy, Horror, Mature, Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default Diablo II: Nostalgia Resurrected

Alright! I may be new around these pages, but Ill plant this flag down for fellow defenders of sanctuary to see. I see no topics in the video game section about Blizzard's most controversial move. Diablo 2 is getting an overhaul to make it HD, and 3D, and a lot of other Ds! With bug fixes and shared stash and other such shiny new ribbons. Sanctuary's culture and spin on divinity is what really captivated me as a child, and has influenced the design and growth of many of my characters and worlds.

Rather than get embroiled in all the drama on other sites, I would like to hear what fellow lore weavers think of the positives of such an opportunity. Will you explore the game again now that it feels like you finally found your glasses? Whats your favorite class, did you ever make characters based on the classes? Do you even know what Diablo is? Would you like to hear about it? If so I invite you to...

Stay awhile... and listen!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I spent last Christmas getting old D2 to run on modern PCs, which in the end was fun as the required third party programs added nice new features!

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

I played D2 for a while when one of my friends created a Skype group for it - I remember I called my sorceress Eevee because the class had fire, ice and lightning options...

Maybe I was building the character wrong but damn, casters run out of mana fast (cue running around in circles dodging the enemies until it recharged). Switching up spells on the fly also wasn't the easiest.

I actually quite enjoyed the story up until, fresh out of assembling the three-piece staff in Act 2, it asked me to go hunt for the four pieces of a flail. That was a bit too blatantly a fetch quest. :P
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Evelyn the sorceress sounds like a great character!

Yeah sadly the "RPG" side of this ARPG defining title was very lackluster. But I feel that's why its such a fun title for imaginative types. You have to make your own story and fun. With so many optional side areas in a randomly generated world each time it feels kinda open worldly. The quests are more sort of like progress bars before you can go to the next world.

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Diablo talk? To be honest, I don't remember much about Diablo II. I played a ton of Diablo 3 both on PC and Xbox. My fondest memories were creating an Inquisitor called Chrysanta Remus, based off a background character often mentioned in one of Az's games.

I kept Lyndon as a companion, thanks to his roguish charm, and he had some skills that seemed to compliment Chrysanta's character. Even if some of those skills were more background details and had no effect in-game. In terms of fighting there was a lot of trap laying, and a lot of fighting retreats. That was a big problem playing a ranged character in a predominantly melee dungeon fighting game.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

To be honest, Lyndon was the most interesting story arc of the followers. Kormac was Kormac before and after. Eirena was Eirena before and after. Only Lyndon felt like he had any change of character from starting stereotype.

Im finding ranged play in D2 much easier. There is less stuff being thrown at you from all directions so its slower and more methodical to kite enemies and pick shots. I hope in D4 with the Rogue they give some genuine skill or stealth options true to the name because right now she just looks like another Demon hunter.