Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mystic Isles [OOC]

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Adventure
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm going to scrap the buying of new spells with skill ranks. You start off with three spells and three cantrips, and as you advance, you get more. We'll keep to the D&D with that. That's a carry-over from another system.
    I’m really sorry, but your terminology and rules confuse the holy heck out of me. I’m honestly not trying to jack with your rules here, I’m honestly just trying to make sense of the rules you’ve laid out. Part of it is that I’m familiar with Pathfinder but not D&D. I know the two are similar and use similar races, classes, skills and spells, and of course, dice; that some people really hate D&D (especially 5e); and that Pathfinder was created because someone hated D&D enough they were willing to make a whole new system using the same concepts, but that’s literally all I know about D&D. The closest thing Pathfinder has to any kind of spell potency progression is metamagic feats, but those work completely differently, so I have to start at square 1 in terms of understanding YOUR rules.

Are you telling me I can’t even put my 6 skill points from class into my cantrips and spells? Does that then mean my cantrips and spells have a 0% chance of working, with 0 points in them? What’s the point of that - making sure that when a fight breaks out, players can’t do anything useful? I don’t mean that to be a rude question, I just can’t think of even one alternate explanation offhand. But I haven’t ruled out the possibility there is one!

And why do you have things called skill points and then tell me I have to level my spells up with points, but not tell me anything about how I’m supposed to acquire those points or that they’re completely different from the skill points that are the only “points” I’ve seen mentioned? Can you PLEASE refer to the points needed to level up a spell by a different name - magic points or spell leveling points or something? I’ll admit, putting a “skill point” into a spell didn’t make a lot of sense to me, but I just assumed these are some kind of simplified homebrew rules intended to make it so we could focus on RP, not game mechanics.

Why do you keep referring to our allowed starting spells as “new”? I suppose that as level 1 players, they are new because we’re just starting out, but without a clear delineation between how to work with allowed starting spells and how to work with any spell we might acquire in any other way (which is what I think of as a “new” spell), I at least have no way of understanding what you’re trying to tell me.

I’m really sorry to be such a pain about this, but I really don’t understand. I’m really confused and lost.

TLDR: Is there any chance you’d be willing to give me a beginner’s explanation of this magic system?
    Last edited by tbgg; 04-01-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, action
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

I feel a little cofused as well.
    I looked over the magic and skill rules again and neither say anything about using points to get or empower spells.

I started playing pathfinder 1e, and learned D&D 5e and I've done some reasurch into the game systems and some history, but maybe not so much the mechanics. So allow me to shed some light.
    D&D was made by Gary Gygax (and one other guy I can't remember) using base rules from an old war game called chainmail. It went through severals versions, the first being AD&D. Then, as D&D was kicking off, there was a "Satanic Panic," as people didn't like how it had demons and referend to them and claimed D&D to be witchcraft. So they took out the demons and other acult stuff until the rights to D&D were baught by Wizards of the Cost who were doing Magic the Gathering at the time, so they added the demons and stuff back in.
    The D&D game got to 3.5, which are the rules that Pathfidner is based off of, then it went into 4e which tried some new things that many people hated and nobody talks about it. Then D&D went into 5e.
    IDK when Pathfinder was made, but it was probably near or around the transition from 3.5 to 4e ot 5e.

That is just some history. The game, at base, is the same with some veriations on the mechanics.
    For instance, Pathfinder has bonus and penalties ranging (normally) from 2, 4, 6, or more and sometimes saying to roll twice and take the higher or lower resault. D&D 5e just does advantage/disadvantage, which is the same as rolling twice and taking the higher/lower result.
    pathfinder has skill ranks to assighn to skills while 5e adds skill proficiancie bonuses to the stats to get skills.
    pathfinder classes hands you the class skills to put skill ranks in while 5e makes you pick the class skills you want the proficiancy bonus to be added to.
    Spells work much the same way in both games, though the tables and power level might be different.
    The few differencees in PF1e to D&D5e spells are as follows.
    It doesn't matter what level you are in pathfinder, the spell power is a constant unless you use a meta magic feat, depending on the spell. Magic missile is one of these as it fires more missiles the higher your level. In 5e, it depends on the caster level and spell slot used. It's like using some of the meta magic feats, without having the feat. If you have a 2nd level spell slot, you can cast a 1st level spell at 2nd lvl. Thus increasing its power. Some cantrips are constant while others increase as you level up, like the warlock's eldritch blast.

Sorry, I hope this isn't too confusing for you. But if you have any questions, please ask.
    But as far as points for spells go, I think its usual no points since I've found nothing to suggest otherwise. It isn't a 0% success.
    But, I'm not the one running the game.
    I hope I've been able to impart some inkling of my small bit of knowledge.
    And I hope you figure everything out.
    And welcome to the squishy party.
    Last edited by Highland Sniper; 04-01-2021 at 08:26 PM.
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.
    The motto give: fortiorum fortia facta (made stronger and braver)

I say, let us all be fortiorum fortia facta.

Spoiler: I'm an Ajin! 

Spoiler: extra 

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Sorry, this is my fault completely. Ignore what I said last night about how you gain more spells, it was late and I was thinking of the wrong system, where players build their spell book differently.

As a new mage player, you start off with three first-level spells and three cantrips, which can be found listed in the online SRD for 5e. These are not the only spells in your spell book, just the ones you have unlocked so far.

You can cast as many spells as you've unlocked. Once you've cast a spell, you must have a long rest before you can recast it.

At the end of an adventure, players who use magic may be told they've unlocked another spell and at what level.
    • New spells are immediately mastered with a limited rate of failure.
    • That becomes one more spell you can cast at that level.
    • You can decide to double an existing spell instead.
      • Doubled spells can only be unlocked the next time you earn a new spell.

If you receive a spell scroll, as long as it is not in an oppositional school, you can choose to transcribe the spell into your spell books.

• Transcription will destroy the scroll's use.
    • You cannot use a transcribed spell until you've earned a spell at that level.

Cantrips can be cast several times during the day. If you cast several of them in quick succession, I may rule you need a short rest before you can use them again.
    Last edited by Enigma; 04-01-2021 at 09:32 PM.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Fantasy, Adventure
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

No worries, as long as it's straightened out, that's all that matters.

(and thanks, @Highland Sniper; for clarifying Pathfinder vs. D&D)

Could someone please explain to me how to do spoilers? I've tried every variation on [SPOILER]text[/SPOILER] I can think of as well as a few other variations I found online and none of them seem to work. I'll post my character profile as soon as I get that figured out.

Thanks.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

(hide=name of thing you want to hide)
    thing you are hiding
    (/hide)
    but you use the [] brackets instead

Spoiler: example 
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Command is [hide=topic]text[/hide]

Spoiler: topic 

Fantasy, Adventure
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

And....here she is, finally!

Spoiler: Wynzara Kianthir, Elven Mage 
    Last edited by tbgg; 04-05-2021 at 03:26 AM.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Unless you're riding side-saddle, I suggest adding a riding outfit to your list. And just add the horse-riding kit for saddle, reins, etc.

Welcome to the group, your sheet looks great! I suggest they head toward the market where they might join with the others?
    Last edited by Enigma; 04-02-2021 at 07:12 PM.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Sadly it doesn't say how tall Belladona is specifically
    But the tallest is probably between her and Wynzara who is 5' 11"
    Revon is 5' 8"
    and I'm sitting here as the shortest of the group so far at 5' 7"

I feel highet is going to be a bit of a thing for my character because of my backstory along with a few other things.

surly this will be interesting.

Fantasy, Adventure
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Unless you're riding side-saddle, I suggest adding a riding outfit to your list. And just add the horse-riding kit for saddle, reins, etc.

Welcome to the group, your sheet looks great! I suggest they head toward the market where they might join with the others?
    I didn’t see either the horse riding kit or riding outfit in the gear section, but I like the idea of both items. In fact, maybe I’ll have her ditch the robes entirely and just wear the riding outfit. If mages are only grudgingly respected, it might be better if she doesn’t advertise what she is.

Are you going to send an urchin to find Wynzara, or should I just have her wandering around in the marketplace? I’m looking forward to getting started!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast