Thread: Wheel of Time: The Lords' Throne

Wolf of the Highlands
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, action
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Default Wheel of Time: The Lords' Throne

I'm going to edit this later to hold everything we need to know.

But the premis is that this is going to be a future, maybe alternate timeline Wheel of Time RP.

General rules for now:
    - standard RPA Rules will be applied
    - Special attention to respect and kindness
    - No NSFW, pleace keep language to a minimum.
    - This might be M for freedom of expression
    - PMs is incuraged when doing smut.
    - No power gaming or controling other PCs.

Now I'm not sure how much of a system we want. But I think I'll keep it generally loose.

----

Character sheets
    accepted characters
    and important NPCs

(will edit later for more info)
    Last edited by Highland Sniper; 04-02-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.
    The motto give: fortiorum fortia facta (made stronger and braver)

I say, let us all be fortiorum fortia facta.

Spoiler: I'm an Ajin! 

Spoiler: extra 

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

@Lady Bird; @tbgg;

ok, I set this up so that we can talk, and then I'll edit everything to fit.

The setting idea I have in mind is what I had laid out a bit earlier. I started running it with Storm.
    Rand has been dead for a while and the kingdoms, although maybe with their own respective rulers, defer to the one that holds the Lords' Throne or the Dragon Throne depending on who you talk to.
    Through ilimination, some of likely inheritors or other have whittled down to just 4 who wish to take the empty throne. An aes sedai, an inventor, a general, and one other.

the power is still clensed on the male side, and the black tower is still being expandid after it's keep was built.
    It's almost common for an aes sedai to bond with an asha'man, effectively both becoming warder to the other.
    The Wolf Brothers are still a thing.

technology has made advances back twords what they used to have before the breaking of the world, such os powerful ranged weapons that one might be able to say are lazer rifles (they were called some sort of lance, I don't remember) and something that might have resembled a helicopter.
    What they have now are the beginnins of steam locomotives and black powder rifles.
    The locomotives were started by one of the mem at Rand's college before Tarmon Gaidon, but didn't quite gain traction till a little after when he was finally able to make it work reliably.

really, I've only started reading the book just after the cleansing of the power, so I'm still a way from finishing.
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.

Fantasy, Adventure
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Heh, in the last three books that Brandon Sanderson completed for WoT after Robert Jordan passed away, there was a case of an Aes Sedai bonding an asha’man and vice versa. So that concept is quite apt!

Lemme go check out your earlier RP before I chime in with anything else.

Edit: I’m not clear on what the PCs’ goal is supposed to be in your previous RP. We have 5 heirs competing for the throne, and you defined who those heirs are, which is fine. You’re not clear on whether we can elect to play one of them, or what exactly we’re supposed to be doing. Are Forsaken controlling some of them and we’re supposed to uncover that and stop them? Are we supposed to question each one and pick the one we want to support and then try to take the others out of the running?

I’m not particularly a fan of the political aspects of fantasy. I would be up for something like going out into the world to perform a specific quest or battling against one of the many bad guys in WoT - golems, gray men, trollocs, aelfinn/eelfinn, Forsaken, etc.
    Last edited by tbgg; 04-03-2021 at 04:47 AM.

Fantasy, Adventure
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I’m okay with the idea of a future timeline past Tarmon Gai’don, just give us a specific task to RP around. I can’t pick a character if I can’t tell what the object of the RP is. An Aes Sedai would be tempting, but wouldn’t be my first choice in all cases. A female ogier descendant of Loial and Arith could also be interesting, but again it would depend on what we were doing.

It also needs to be clear whether the RPers are supposed to work together collaboratively or competitively. I much prefer collaboration to competition except in rare cases. (But competition with bad guys is fine!)

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Colab unless everyone else decides otherwise.
    And the original idea is that you are approached by one of the heirs and are more or less hired by them, but you can choose to find one you prefer to support if you like.

There may be some dark friends around still, but trollocs are pretty much confined to the blight boarder at this time and the Forsaken are gone.
    The main "bad guys" would be some of the heirs and the bandits and anyone else going around.

Now the party can certainly choose to do some thing else since the other rulers are pretty much left to their own devices s up once no one is one the throne, you could do some thing with them.

But the basic events is as outlined above. Heirs trying to get the throne.
    Yes, if you want, you may play one of the 5 heirs. But I'll be putting a limit on how many heirs can be played.
    You can be aes saidi, asha'man, wolf brother, and I might even allow some ogier.

Fantasy, Adventure
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Oh phooey. I had a long post with some ideas on how to give this RP some focus, but I lost it. Will try later. Too tired now.

Fantasy, Adventure
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

@Highland Sniper ;

This RP still lacks focus. In my experience, while it sounds good to be so open that “anything goes” that’s just a setup for player conflict if two people have different ideas about what should be done. There’s a guy in the pbp PF game I’ve been playing the longest who is my exact opposite in terms of temperament, and things finally got so bad because of our completely different ideas about how things should be done that I finally decided to leave the game because I just couldn’t stand his unwillingness to compromise on even the tiniest thing anymore. What we really needed were some ground rules around what what was okay and what wasn’t, but Mr. Special Snowflake decided that no way was he going to agree to anything that meant he had to stop bulldozing right over others anytime he felt like it so that he always won and the other person always lost. His whole mindset guaranteed he would be the only one ever allowed to have fun. This sort of thing happens in RPGs even when you have clear objectives because people are different, but without clear objectives, it opens the door for fights over what to do in addition to how to do it.

I would rather RP where there’s a specific task to accomplish and some guidance about how to go about completing said task. As an example, I personally would never enjoy an RP where we had to do combat all the time, but I know many male players in particular who might enjoy that. I don’t want to ruin the fun of those players, so the best option is for me to simply never join that kind of RP. You haven’t yet provided enough information for me to feel comfortable that your RP idea is a good fit for me, even though I like the the idea of a WoT-themed RP.

So let me give you an example of how to take your concept and give it some focus. You don’t have to use this concept if it doesn’t appeal to you, it’s only an example.

Rand Al’Thor anticipated that there might come a day when his descendants would become power-hungry nobles who lost sight of the idea that the point of having a throne was to serve your people, so before he fought in Tarmon Gui’don, he put a plan into action. He entrusted his good friend Perrin Aybara with a duty which Perrin was to pass along to his descendants with instructions to keep passing it down. The duty was that if Rand’s descendants ever entered into the battle for a throne and any of them appeared more interested in power for power’s sake than in ruling with the good of the people in mind, those descendants of Perrin who were still alive at the time were to secretly see an investigation into those heirs vying for the throne carried out and to see to it that the power-hungry heirs were discredited. Perrin’s descendants would be allowed to participate in the investigation if they wished, but their only obligation was to see it carried out.

The RPers would of course be the investigators, and this description (paired with your existing information about the heirs) provides some focus. For instance, the object is to investigate the heirs vying for the throne and take the self-serving power hungry jerks out of the running. It doesn’t tell you how to do those things, so there’s room for player creativity. It opens up the possibility of choosing to play one of Perrin’s descendants. It makes it clear that you’ll be dealing with nobles a lot so skills like bluff, Diplomacy, sense Motive, and intimidate are going to be useful. So are things that allow you to act like a spy. So anyone looking at the RP now knows what needs to be accomplished and can brainstorm what kind of character might be useful in accomplishing it.

Now, if you wanted to give this more of an RPGlite flavor, I have some ideas on how that might be done, too, but I don’t want to totally take over your baby, here. It’s yours, so you should be the one deciding! If you want to hear my ideas, I’ll happily share them, but please ask so I know I’m not making you feel stepped on.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

@tbgg;
    I was only keeping it so open so that the players could pick their own direction before we played.
    Now I understand the great possibility of player conflict about what and how to do, but the good thing is that this isn't Pathfinder or D&D, so you don't quite the same limitations. But I understand it can still happen either way. there are reasons to have rules in place.
    either way, I made this how it was right now so that the we could all talk about what we wanted to do and come to an agreement. So you're perfectly fine in giving soem input.

Now I see the party wasn't really good, and that happens sometimes. But sometimes it's the DM that isn't good. A good party would allow a good DM to bel flexable and allowing the party to do almost whatever they want without worrying about them messing everything up.
    yes, it is a good idea to have a clearly defined path for the party to follow, but they should not be so confined to that path that they can't try to do something else. Sometimes a derailed campaighn is much better than what the original plan would have been.
    but this does depend on the DM and the party. If either of them are bad, then the game can be a real drag.

Anyhow, the heirs are going to be a key part to the story.
    An investigation, espianogue, or anything else they want.
    and it'll be up to the players how combat heavy they want to make this. yes, I will present challanges for the party, but like any good RPG or DM, fighting is not the only option.
    If the players that come agree, then you guys will be working with soem of the heirs to see which one is best for the throne.

that being said... I'm waiting for other players.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I'm here, I'm here! Collaborating between characters is fine. I like the idea of the heirs all wanting the throne etc. Honestly I'm good with what you got to start with. Would Aiel be allowed as well? I have an Aes Sedai character but not sure if I will use her. Or create someone new.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Aiel are fine.

I'll iron out the info and details and then you guys can finalize characters and we can start.