Thread: [M|OOC] By the Book (Naming and Koti)

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Default [M|OOC] By the Book (Naming and Koti)

|By the Book|

This thread is rated M, for all of the usual reasons. Potential readers beware!

Untold centuries ago, it was prophesised that a great evil would one day rise up, and threaten to consume the world. When it came, a chosen hero would rise up, sacred tome in hand, and beat back the darkness. Most dismiss such stories as the stuff of myths and legends. Idle fantasy, written by the bored, and believed only by the foolish.

Not the house of Bellacrose.

For generations, its descendants have lived in quiet solitude, hidden away from the greater parts of the world. They have dedicated their lives to passing on knowledge of this prophecy, and protecting the house’s greatest treasure – the same book mentioned within. When signs of the apocalypse begin to manifest, but no hero rises up to claim the legendary grimore, one young member decides that she can wait no longer. If the hero will not come to her, then she will to go them. She takes up the chosen weapon and sets out on a journey to travel the world, determined to find the chosen hero herself, and help them save the world.

Imagine her surprise, then, when she finds that the hero isn’t some experienced mercenary, or a veteran soldier, but a commoner with no experience at arms whatsoever...

Spoiler: Blank character sheet template 

Paging @Koti~;

Mystic of the Grimoire
    Working on sun lab.. need more A/C portals
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Spoiler: Elbert 

"Even Dreams, can be a nightmare"
    Spoiler: Click it, I dare ya! 

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Spoiler: The Seeker 

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The IC thread is finally up here.

I do apologize for the delay. Its not my best work, either, but I guess opening posts never are I hope you enjoy.

Also, I know I mentioned the farmers in their fields at the end, but don't feel compelled to make Elbert one of them if you don't want to. I'm happy to leave their first meeting until a little bit later in the day, once Tanya gets into town, if you had other ideas. Just introduce him however you see fit and we'll figure out the specifics later!

Mystic of the Grimoire
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Alright! I shall be wokin on a post today for sure!

The big question to answer, how will she know who the hero is?

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

That was a lot faster than I expected =P

My original plan was to have the book react to the hero's presence somehow. Have it start glowing, or grow warm to the touch, or something else out of the ordinary that would clue Tanya in. The other option I can think of is that she might use the book to test people somehow, but that might be a bit tougher to pull off if Elbert can't read to begin with.

Mystic of the Grimoire
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I think the glow/ warm to the touch might be the better idea. And I was thinking, since it's written in a different language, Elbert would be able to read it

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I don't think the glowing works quite as well now that we're using a tome as the magical artifact. It worked well as a weapon because Tanya could carry it openly, instead of walking around with it stuffed into a backpack. But if Tanya knows that, she can probably work around it.

Having Elbert being able to read it straight away makes his growth over the course of the story feel a bit less linear, though. The whole idea was that he wouldn't be able to use the book's full power right away. But I guess we can come up with plenty of other reasons to stop them heading straight for the Big Bad right away.

Mystic of the Grimoire
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Very true.
    I think a good idea is having it be more so recognizing the crest on the book cover, as a sort of family heirloom. That might let him recognize the cover at least.

As for how to detecting it... Maybe have the book make a sort of noise, like a humming sound

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

A crest could probably work. I'm not sure how realistic that would be if Elbert is supposed to be distanced from his ancestors, but I guess his own family could've kept it too. It'd change Tanya's tactics whilst trying to hunt him down a little, though. Make her job a little bit easier by giving her somewhere to start.

I think I like the glow more than a humming sound, if forced to choose. It fits more with the gemstone on the cover, I think. Either way, I can't help but imagine how things might go if some of the more superstitious locals are around when the book starts reacting. Might cause our main characters a bit of trouble a little earlier than expected =P