Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Star Wars: The Bureaucrats [Hannelorian & Kach]

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

For a moment, a single moment in time as Marienna approached him with the towel, she could have sworn he blushed. There was a hint of satisfaction that arose within her, warming her to her core to know she caught people off guard simply with her actions which most found unpredictable, though if one had spent enough time with Marienna they could come to realize, she was all too predictable, even she knew this about herself.

Marienna found herself delighted when Corwin agreed to remove his boots without issue. Prior colleagues would not necessarily comply with her request. Marienna loathed the thought of making more work for the utility droids who had to clean their offices at the end of the day. If she could be respectful enough and save them a few muddy foot prints she would go out of her way to do so. Just one more example of an occasion she preferred the company of droids to that of people. "Thank you." Marienna added sincerely after the action.

It was funny, she thought, or more precisely she thought he was funny. The way his attitude had completely changed from the downturn at the end of their last encounter. Here he stood before her again, most jovial. Marienna noted that his eyes seemed to light up with excitement when he talked about their work. It had been a long time since she recalled a logistician such as themselves beam with energy about their assignment. It was her general observation that most who worked within their department were less than enthused for what many deemed a rather mundane position. "I doubt I could make you look bad." Marienna commented in response to him. Grey eyes looking directly at him she did manage a small smile. "Black sheep. You've read my file, I'm sure." The luxury of being the superior office on missions like these, he had access to her record and all of the delightful violations she had wracked up since joining the Imperial work force.

The raging storm didn't phase Marienna in the slightest. In truth, she adored the rain, the thunder and lightning all of it. When the room shook with the claps of thunder she could feel the vibration of the room travel from the tips of her bare toes, moving ever upward through her extremities. It reminded her of home. Her real home, the infamously destroyed planet of Alderaan. It brought her back to a happy childhood, a childhood before her life changed forever and forced her to grow up far too quickly. Marienna took no satisfaction in Corwin admitting that she was correct, at least not in the most expected sense. Marienna was confident in her intelligence and ability, rightly so. What surprised her was that he so willingly and without shame admitted this fact with a simple acknowledgment. How refreshing.

Marienna stood from her work station and made her way toward his, clearing a spot she delicately hoisted herself to sit on the desk, legs crossed and staring off into space. Rainfall on this planet is slightly above rates for planets of this classification. The rain water contributes much in the way of success for the barq farms. They say there's something in the water that imparts that signature taste we all know and love." The last part of her statement was spoken in true sarcasm in the most dead pan manner she could muster. "You can learn too, you know." Marienna noted almost off handedly, taking a brief moment for pause. "To feel the storm before it arrives. Just takes a bit of patience, and a keen sense of observation." These things were true. A flaw, Marienna found in most people was their unwillingness to stand still and listen. To be one with their environment. You can tell so much about a world and its behaviors simply by stopping to pay attention.

She noted that his smile faded as she discussed the data, he seemed to take it somewhat heavily in a sense that puzzled her, yet he was not so terribly down. Could he really feel such sympathy for the Empire? She snapped herself out of that train of thought and back into reality. "KV and I have a working theory on it." The droid whirred happily, as if to say that he agreed with her statement. "Idiots. Our theory is idiots." Marienna's tone was not mocking, nor was it sarcastic, it was delightfully matter of fact. Her face as always gave nothing away. She stood from the desk and quickly collected a data pad. "Two major possibilities exist... mmm... maybe three. She was now theorizing out loud, hoping her superior would entertain her. "Possibility the first. Faulty equipment as you suggest. Things happen and calibrations can go awry, in which case no one noticed. Thus we conclude, idiots. Possibility the second, human error. Misreading, mis-recording... also happens which leads us to conclude that idiots are responsible. The last scenario is quite possibly my favorite. I do hope you are ready for this one."

Marienna was pacing across a very small stretch now, back and forth as she outlined her theories. Her eyes shifted between the ground she was walking and to Corwin, ever watching for changes in his expression or his mannerisms. "Straight forward theft. That's the last major possibility. Unless of course KV has been hiding information." KV beeped in protest, and Marienna actually laughed, it was brief, but she showed genuine emotion. "Right, right, sorry KV. He doesn't like it when you question his intentions, surely you've noticed? Ah, yes. Anyway, if someone is stealing they aren't exactly being subtle about it. If you had the opportunity to skim, let's say. And yes, I know you wouldn't. What would you do after? You would replace the weight of the product you'd taken with something else so all the records match. It's a bit careless to take and pray that no one notices, don't you think? So here again, idiots." Marienna continued quite happily thinking quite loudly for Corwin. "Granted, there are a few explanations... the transition from Republic rule to Imperial rule was not smooth, nor was anyone actually checking, so it's possible that such stupidity wasn't noticed because no one bothered to checked... or again, just idiocy. So to answer your question, we start at the end. A man called Kuna Syko. He oversees the loading of the transports and logs the weights and measures."

The young woman came to a stop and turned on a heel to look at Corwin, her face having returned to a vacant expression. "But if I may, sir... for a moment. Earlier, when I asked about leaving Coruscant... you seemed to respond poorly to my inquiry. I wanted to apologize if I offended you, that was not my intention. And please, when it's just us... you can call me Marienna, or Mari... we're the closest thing to friends we've got here." She wondered if she shouldn't have said anything, but there it was, out in the open.
    Last edited by Hannelorian; 07-15-2021 at 02:27 PM.
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Modern, SciFi, Combat, Cooperative, One on One
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

"I prefer to make judgements on first hand experience. Reports and data are a good base line, but I find some of our colleagues are too likely to embellish because they are too emotionally invested, or for their own agenda; rather than for the sake of passing on information.
    Cowin informed, a bit more coolly, his smile wilting slightly at the unpleasantness. He found it a bit curious, how and what she asked about.

Genuinely surprised, he watched with a bit of confusion when she came over to his work station and cleared a spot. He slid down the station to give her a bit of room, but couldn't believe what he was seeing when she sat on the top of his desk.
    He hadn't the foggiest idea what to make of his new partner and every time he thought he had a bead on her, she did something... unusual.
    He watched with a raised brow as she spoke about the weather, though the mention of learning when the weather was changing did seem to interest him visibly though he didn't remark.

Lt Corwin leaned back in his seat, listening respectfully to her theories. He wasn't sure how long she had been working them out, but it seemed she had already made a small plan of action.
    "Go on." He encouraged, curious to find out what her train of thought was.
    He seemed amused by her musings, smiling broadly and seeming to stifle chuckles at her straight forward thinking until she mentioned theft. The joy behind his smile faded, though the smile itself did not. He hated thieves. If they uncovered any in the course of their duties, he would ensure others got the message that theft from the Empire was not an option.
    Marienna's light hearted laugh at KV did surprisingly little to restore his warmth.

"I would be very interest to meet this Kuna Syko."
    Lt Fischer broke his long stretch of silence with a cool remark, much like when the pair had parted ways, though he didn't seem to be on the move yet.

Caught of guard by her sudden change in subject he façade had fallen to reveal an impassive face that seemed to have not seen any measure of joy in some time.
    "Thank you Lieutenant; Marienna" He corrected. "However there was no offence taken." A smirk slowly crept back on to his face. "Speak for yourself, I have a ton of friends everywhere. isn't that right Kay-vee?" He shot a knowing glance to the droid, his demeanor seeming to normalize.

"Now, how long do storms tend to last around here?."
    The final battle,
    Pain, suffering; overcome,
    by the united.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

If there was one thing Marienna had absolutely determined about Corwin, it was that he was utterly unpredictable. As the young Lieutenant had discussed with KV, he was hot one moment, cold the next. His expressions and responses varied wildly depending on the exact nature of her questioning or her actions. She thought back to his response:

""I prefer to make judgements on first hand experience. Reports and data are a good base line, but I find some of our colleagues are too likely to embellish because they are too emotionally invested, or for their own agenda; rather than for the sake of passing on information."

It was honest, but cold in a sense, it spoke volumes to her about his outlook on the galaxy. Distrustful. In honesty, when she thought on it, he wasn't wrong to have such an outlook. In many a sense, Marienna did as well. Perhaps this is what made her the most uncomfortable, they were quite similar then. Marienna preferred to rest in the world of data, keeping her emotions completely disengaged from her work. This was something more than one colleague had found unpleasant over the years. The war had changed a lot of people, the war had torn apart many worlds and all that Marienna felt was pain and an unending sadness.

All in a moment everything had changed, at least for a little while. As Marienna discussed her thoughts and theories he seemed to watch her with intent, almost amusement, though not in a negative or offensive way. He seemed interested, smiling, happy, until she mentioned theft. Something subtle changed in his demeanor, as though he had some personal investment in protecting the goods of the Empire. Learning her own lesson, Marienna did not comment, she awaited his reply amidst a long silence with a completely straight face, silent and expressionless she felt herself retreating into the zone where she was most comfortable.

"The storm won't break until morning, so you have some time to catch up on the work that's been done." She commented in a rather matter of fact manner, making her way towards the door and sliding into her cheap, all together uncomfortable Imperial issue boots. There was a bit of a struggle in this act, damn things, and the ungodly squeaking the pair made as she forced them over her feet. "KV can provide with current atmospheric conditions if you'd like a more precise forecast." Marienna looked to the droid as she spoke, nodding affirmatively.

"You may have friends everywhere, but you'll need friends here, Lieutenant. We both do." Marienna's tone was flat, it was neither meant to inflammatory nor anything else, she supposed simply a comment, or perhaps a warning. They should push for the truth but push too far, make too many enemies and they could find themselves in a tricky situation. Marienna, not understanding his motivations did certainly understand her own. She would do her job, but nothing more. She felt no sympathy for the Empire or their goods, for they were the property of the peoples from which they stole, from which they murdered.

"I've got to check some of the sensors out in the fields. It'll take me the rest of the day. Meet me tomorrow morning, bright and early at the shipping docks. Syko won't be on duty until then anyways. Catch ya then, Lieutenant." There was something of inviting tone as her sentence ended, and as quickly as all had arrived, she slipped out through the door into the storm, into the heart of chaos, a place she felt a great comfort.

As the storm calmed and the morning break, Lt. Marienna Beren stood at the edge of the shipping docks, perched upon a plasteel cylinder, awaiting the arrival of her superior officer. As she sat, she intermittently chatted with the passersby.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Corwin nodded, wondering what the planet would look like after the deluge. He was surprised she was leaving already. It didn't seem too late, where would Marienna be going?
    "I will look over what you and Kay-vee have prepared."
    He was ready to dive into their work, he didn't doubt any of Marienna's findings, but he liked to confirm whenever possible.

Cowin seemed amused at her mention of friendship but nodded in agreement; it was interesting how shallow her coating of ice went. He figured it was likely a wise defense mechanism. Life in the Empire could be dangerous if you expressed the wrong thoughts or feelings to the wrong people, better most often to keep them to yourself.

"Very well, keep safe; I will meet you then Marienna."
    He smiled his familiar smile as he watched her go with surprising grace.
    She would, by a wide margin, be one of the most interesting colleagues he has ever worked with. Turning back to his workstation he remarked.
    "You are going to have to fill in some blanks for me Kay-Vee."

The air was thick with humidity in the morning, and LT. Fischer's clothes clung to him uncomfortably. His boots squished rhythmically leaving small craters that quickly filled with water in the soft road as mud clung to them. The smell didn't seem as bad today, though he wasn't sure if it was the heavy air or he was getting used to the pungent aroma. He passed troopers heading to their posts as he made his way to the small transport depot building.
    A short stocky man with beady eyes in grey uniform, offered a casual salute from the chair behind his workstation. The pips on his uniform indicated he was the depot's Supply Sergeant.

"Good morning Sergeant, I would like a speeder please." LT. Fischer spoke warmly, a bit excited for the prospect for a morning drive.
    The sergeant looked up from his data pad a bit curious as he thumbed through manifests, but he didn't remark until he produced a data chip from a desk drawer and offered it to LT. Corwin.
    "Here you are sir. Safe travels."
    Corwin took it with a smile and offered a nod. "Thank you Sergeant." He turned on his heels and marched to the RGC-18 landspeeder parked in the corner of the motor pool. He had noticed it on the walk this morning. Not likely an Imperial vessel, something commandeered from a local possibly. On the larger side for landspeeders it was considered overpowered by most. Quick and maneuverable with its two passengers or loaded down with freight on it's relatively flat chassis it preformed well.
    This one had seen use, its hull had dull green paint flaking off, revealing the sandy body and sliver trim underneath. The drive cowlings and bumper were dented, but the interior had seemed to have been more cared for. The dark brown seats were comfortable as Corwin climbed in, carefully banging the mud off of his boots before swinging his feet inside. Time to go for a stretch.

The drives had warmed, and were now letting out a steady drone as he speed down the well traveled road to the city not far from the compound. Fields of Barq blurred into seas as they shifted in the breeze. Corwin was grateful for the rushing air though the sun was low, painting the oceans of Barq in amber.
    The dot of structures that served as the port city for this region had barely earned the name. A few hundred buildings surrounded the massive terminal and served as a hub for everything the farmers in the region would need. Chemicals, parts, materials, were all centralized here.
    He passed a few huge agricultural transports and some troop transports along the road, but the traffic was stark compared to the skylanes of Coruscant.
    The main road lead right to the terminal and Corwin picked out the other figure in grey waiting as he approached. He effortlessly slid the speeder in to park at the loading docks, perhaps a bit more quickly than was necessary, but it stopped right where it was supposed too.
    His face beamed as he vaulted out of the speeder, data chip in hand as if he was well practiced in doing so and strode to meet Marienna.
    "Good morning Lieutenant." He greeted, expecting some measure of nicety from his comrade.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The young lieutenant had indeed spent the remainder of the last day checking sensors, following up on small bits of information that had surfaced itself over the past few days. The rain didn't matter, it was soothing, calming, almost a transcendent experience letting the heavy drops wash over oneself.

"Keep safe" he had called as she left, an amusing thought. Marienna thought, at least of now, that she was likely more capable of protecting herself, than he would be. Out in the darkest depths of the galaxy even bureaucrats such as themselves were not immune to hostile situations or combat. It was an unfortunate fact of their reality. Imperial rule was not so readily welcomed everywhere.

The morning air after the rain was almost sweet if not heavy. Marienna didn't mind all of the mud and muck, spending enough time on the more agrarian worlds toughened one up in a far different way than the metropolitan or industrialized ones. Her ears picked up at the sound of a landspeeder racing toward her direction. The lieutenant had a sneaking suspicion that it was Lt. Fischer. The coming moments would prove her theory correct. There was such a smile on his face, his eyes beamed. The real of driving a speeder really did bring out his inner child, in a rather delightful way, Marienna had to admit.

His moves were smooth exiting the speeder, as he approached Marienna stood at full attention for a moment and nodded in acknowledgment of her colleague. "Good morning, sir." She responded to his greeting in kind. "Welcome to the big city." Her remark was of course a joke, a joke she found particularly funny given his most recent posting of Coruscant, to which no other city could compare. The gleaming capital with a dark underbelly. Marienna raised her arm and pointed toward the speeder he rode in on. "An RGC... excellent choice. They don't make 'em like that anymore. She may be old, but I reckon' she's a real workhorse." Marienna said of the vehicle. While her facial expression remained more or less vacant, there was a general kindness to her voice that she felt adequately conveyed her feeling.

As Corwin moved alongside, she turned around and the two began walking fairly close to one another toward their destination. "I'm more of a bike person myself." the lieutenant lamented. "The new 74-Zs are pretty sweet. Unfortunately, none of my postings are glamorous enough for new tech. The 614-AvA is good enough for me though." If there was one thing she could attempt to relate to him on, it would probably be the subject of speeders. There was something ever so universal in the need to go fast. Here, when she remarked on glamorous postings, she meant ones of pure military value, as the 74-Z was primarily manufactured for military use. Backwater worlds like this, no matter how profitable the crop, never really saw that kind of action. Rather, it saw simple uprisings that were just as easy to put down as they had been to start.

Marienna looked surprisingly comfortable, at home almost in her posture and general appearance. Had she been uncomfortable due to the atmospheric conditions or general environment, you would not be able to tell. The lieutenant adapted quickly to new situations, and having spent enough time in places like this, nothing seemed too bad. As the two walked, she would instinctively at periodic intervals run her fingers along her holster against the blaster pistol. Her Naboo model ELG-3A was one of the few possessions she truly had any sentimental attachment to. Unlike Corwin in his custom boots, while sensible, the standard issue material never bothered her much. Though, when one thought about it, there was a sort of comedy in the Empire, the strongest, richest force known to man couldn't be bothered to spend a little extra on boots.

The two approached the shipping port, the rows upon rows of designated landing zones, all to pick up precious cargo and take it to the farthest reaches of known space. Ships with engines running, other sitting almost as though they were dead, or simply slumbering waiting to be brought back to glorious roaring life. "The beating heart of Qiilura, right here before us." She said quietly, still moving ever graceful, ever delicate. The slipways of the space age were a sight to see, this was industry hard at work. Getting down closer, moving past scores of droids and dockworkers going about their business, the presence of the two imperials went relatively unnoticed. The pair would turn and move toward sector A-8, where a rather haggard looking man stood before a terminal in old worn out clothes, waving his hands and always seeming to be yelling some sort of command to those under his control. "This is you, Lieutenant. The man you want to meet." Marienna motioned forward and began to approach him.

Kuna Syko had caught glimpse of the two from the corner of his eye and turned to face them. "What an unexpected pleasure, Lieutenant." he spoke, his words aimed at Marienna, dripping with sarcasm. "You're looking dead as ever." he continued, Marienna's facial expression or lack there of showed no change, though she wanted to crack a smile, she refrained, keeping up appearances as it were. "Another visit, so soon? What can I do for you today? Who's the stiff?" Syko motioned to Lt. Fischer, speaking about him as though he were not standing there beside her. "Your best friend, or your worst enemy Syko." there was humor in her voice though barely perceptible in nature. Nodding her head in the affirmative. "Kuna Syko, allow me to introduce my colleague, Lieutenant Fischer. Lieutenant Fischer, this is the 'A' sector shipping supervisor, Kuna Syko." There, at least introductions were taken care of. "No need for nerves today, just more routine questions. We can't fix what you don't tell us is broken now can we?" Marienna asked in something of a deliberately forced sing-songy tone.

Kuna Syko was a human, one of a few hundred who now populated this planet. At the beginning of the Clone Wars, the native species worked with the Republic to withdraw the human colonists, and had in fact largely succeeded. Imperial rule quickly sought a reversal of course, bringing humans back as additional labor at a cheap price. "You lot wouldn't know what to fix if the damn granaries caught fire." He remarked, unconcerned with his tone or demeanor. This was not uncommon, sad to say.
    Last edited by Hannelorian; 07-24-2021 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Corwin allowed himself a chuckle at her joke as they walked. He eyed the people that passed and the terminal structures, genuinely interested in their surroundings. It was further from Coruscant than he had imagined it could be, even the buzz of the terminal seemed sleepy in comparison. Surprised by Marienna's knowledge of speeders he remarked warmly.
    "Not a bad option given the locale. Beats a troop transport or walking, but a bit on the vanilla side for my tastes."
    Fischer looked to her with twinkling eyes when the talk turned to bikes.
    "You don't say? You are full of surprises Lieutenant Beren. Perhaps we are wasted here rather than the scouting companies?" He said with a grin, not expecting either of them to volunteer for front line service.
    He was glad she seemed to be warming to him, he was expecting a much more arduous first few weeks but so far Marienna Beren seemed to have two sides and an even temperament. Corwin noticed her hand idly handling her sidearm; he wasn't sure if it was a nervous habit, or something had happened in this area before, but there was definitely something to it.

Corwin walked proudly, with his hands clasped behind his back as if he hadn't a care in the galaxy as they marched into the terminal grounds. He nodded silently in agreement with her assessment while inspecting the area. The amount of product moving through the port was impressive given the size of the 'city'.

He wasn't impressed by his first look at Kuna Syko, he found it appalling how people in responsible positions let their bearing slip until they looked slovenly. Cowin wouldn't hold that against the man; however when words began to tumble from his smug maw, that resolve was tested some. He let Syko's comments go without remark because Beren said nothing; he wasn't sure how they had interacted before so he gave the man the benefit of the doubt, though he wouldn't have necessarily tolerated the tone.
    "Good morning, nice to meet you Mr. Syko." Corwin said formally, though his smile and warmth so far seemed unaffected.
    "You are in charge of what comes in and out of this area and as such I have a few questions. As I am sure Lieutenant Beren has informed you, we are here to make sure every 'i' is dotted and "T" is crossed, so your full cooperation will have us on our way most quickly. Before we dive in, did you have any deficiencies in your equipment or staffing you would care to mention?"
    Corwin eyed the man expectantly, the seemingly ever present smile still bending his lips.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Lt. Beren had appreciated their rather relaxed conversation on their way to meet Syko. He responded well to the subject of speeders, as she thought he would. Marienna had not forced the conversation as she too did rather enjoy the pesky things. Pesky in the sense that they had a habit of breaking down. Ah, quality Imperial fabrication, she remarked internally. Turning her attention back to the moment, she gazed without expression at Corwin.

This would be the true test. This world was so far from Coruscant, not just in terms of the landscape, but in terms of the culture and attitudes. This was a world that wanted no part in the war, wanted no part in the Empire's machinations. This was a place where they were not wanted, and above all a place that required certain terms of play be met. Marienna had been in dozens of places like this, and the situation could turn from precarious to outright violent in a matter of moments.

Nevertheless Marienna had no reason to doubt her colleague, and indeed in this moment she trusted him to do as he had been trained to do. After all, there wasn't much that was truly sinister in their intentions. She listened intently as she spoke, and watched his face. She watched how his eyes had scanned the man when they approached. She wondered if he had judged the man. Marienna tended to take people at face value, she tried to infer based on single interactions. There was always more to the story. The people of Qiilura were on the whole rather poor. The Empire takes and takes, giving precious little in return. These people were little more than farmers or industrial workers processing product. A part of her felt their pain, identified with their suffering and couldn't truly blame them for taking what they needed here or there if it meant the difference between survival and death.

Kuna Syko did not trust them, and she did not trust him. This was the way.

Syko stood there, silent as Corwin spoke to him. He was without hesitation sizing up the man, much as he done the woman a day or two before. He made no attempt to disguise his activity, rough around the edges was his general state of being. "I don't know what's so good about it..." He commented in response to the good morning. After all, it was another day here in hell at these docks. The same work, over and over again.

The older man stared at Fischer as he smiled, it rang hollow to him. At least the girl didn't smile. She didn't pretend to be his friend, she just did what she needed. Asked questions, left. Kuna Syko thought for a moment about punching the man, but ultimately decided against it. He figured between the troopers and his partner, someone was like to shoot him down after. Would that be worth it? Probably not. Don't give the bastards what they want, he thought.

Then again, he was a man with certain things to hide, so it would be in his best interest to cooperate, to a certain extent. "Talking to her, that was one thing. Dead eyes, no expression. But she's pretty, don't ya think?. You? Not so much." Syko walked closer to Fischer, and nodded his head some. "Take a look around you. What don't we need? Support, resources... workers. You name it, we need it. You musta passed at least three dead harvesters on your way in. Or did you happen to miss those?" All of this, from his perspective was true. They were overworked and under supported. Who cares if they died?

Syko's eyes drifted to Marienna, casting down her frame he took note of the blaster. Extending his hand he motioned at it "ELG... you some kinda royalty? They still have that? I hear the Naboo got whole cities underwater. Must be quite the sight." Syko was changing the subject, rather deliberately stalling. Mostly he wanted to see how much of a rise he could get out of Corwin by simply putting him off.

At the rather unexpected shout out, Marienna simply stared at Syko and shook her head politely. "No. The Gungans have their underwater cities. The Naboo, strictly land and space kinda folk." Marienna answered simply, calmly and honestly. She made certain not to stray too far from the scope of his inquiry as to leave room for him to ask additional questions.

Syko nodded, and let out a deep sigh. His attention now directed back at Corwin. "Alright Imperial... what do you want to know that I haven't already said? You're all the same you know. Soulless worker ants, making sure the Empire gets what the Empire wants. No real concern for the people they screw over. Do your worst, Imp." Syko was pulling no punches, standing there he crossed her arms and looked skyward, today was going to be a long day.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Lt. Fischer didn't seem perturbed by Syko's posturing, in-fact he was not at all surprised. He had dealt with all manner of people disillusioned with the status quo under the Empire, he always marveled at how unwilling they were to acknowledge the 'game' and how it was played. As far as he was concerned this man could find other work if he was dissatisfied, he was not a conscript of the Empire, yet.
    He was however a bit annoyed with the poor state of the operation. It was inefficient. Not a state he enjoyed discovering anything in. He considered how he would word a request up the chain of command; but didn't offer any answer to the question.

The implacable smile on his face only shifted when Syko turned his attention back to LT. Beren, one eyebrow shifted slightly hinting at the surprise he felt at his question and then her answer. Corwin was shocked by how open Marienna was being with this local and the tone he was using to address her. He never would have let it stand under normal circumstances; a civilian dock worker being so familiar with an officer, but he was unsure how they had previously interacted and presumed Beren had her own reasons for allowing the man such liberties.

It did not show outwardly, but he was already displeased by his first interaction with the locals. He would have rather a warmer reception; it was easier to collaborate then enforce. He didn't think it was likely a fault of LT Beren though, this man seemed cantankerous for his own reasons.

At Syko's renewed attention and comment Lt Fischer's smile grew to nearly a grin. Mr Syko had made him an excellent opening.

"I am glad we have an understanding."

He replied warmly, only pausing for a moment to let the man make some inferences. He didn't care what Kuna Syko or any civilian on this mud ball thought of him, as long as it suited his goal of getting every system in his purview running efficiently. And if he had to be the bad guy, so be it. His hands were still clasped behind his back, seeming to show he didn't feel the need to protect himself.

"Though I believe you misunderstand my, and Lieutenant Beren's purpose here. Our job is to make sure everything the Empire has interest in, on Qiilura, is running efficiently. We are very good at our job. If we find an area lacking, we investigate and aim to improve existing systems. If they are not economical to fix, they are replaced."

He paused again to let it sink in before he turned to his questions. He was interested to see how they were answered.

"Now tell me, how often is your equipment calibrated and do you keep logs of those calibrations? Does anyone oversee these calibrations? I would hope you do, as at the end of the day, it is to your door I will come knocking. I would hate to have to resort to accusatory questions over such a thing as logged discrepancies."

His demeanor hadn't change in the slightest, an outsider could have assumed Corwin was talking to an old friend assuming they couldn't see Kuno Syko's face.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

As Lt. Fischer began his questions, Marienna stood silently with little expression, hands neatly clasped together behind her back. The young woman began to immerse herself in the conversation playing out before her. Her eyes trained on Syko, not that she anticipated anything of ill repute to occur, it never hurt to be prepared. The expressionless look on her face was always intentional, a part of her enjoyed how it seemed to bother others so much. But in this moment, she wanted to sigh, she wanted to shake her head, something to express her displeasure.

Corwin was doing his job as he had been trained to do. She understood this, though she often found herself wishing that there were another path forward. The people of worlds like this did not take kindly to threats. They were far more likely to shut down than open up when the cavalry showed up ready for a fight. It was moments like this that reminded her of who she worked for, and what she was now complicit in. These feelings were not new, nor were they the kind to prevent her from doing her job well.

Syko listened to the Imperial speak to him, that classic tone of unchanging feigned happiness. It made his skin crawl. The not so subtly veiled threats. Folding his arms in front of his chest, the older man let out a deep laugh. "Misunderstand?" he repeated back, shaking his head, a smile now spread across his face. "Now that is funny. Who knew you Imps had a sense of humor?" Syko asked, though it wasn't truly a question. "The only one here who doesn't understand is you." He spoke firmly, honestly, casting his eyes toward Marienna, then out over the men who had been working the docks who had long ceased their labors and stood, all watching Corwin and Syko.

Marienna had certainly taken notice of this development, though she couldn't say she didn't expect it. The same had happened when she first showed up a few days prior. Ultimately nothing came of this posturing.

"She gets it." Syko pointed once again to Lt. Beren, and then gestured out over the men. "They get it." Syko was trying to play the two Imperials off on another, hoping to align Marienna with themselves, perhaps casting doubt over performance. Though he suspected, she really did understand, even if she could not or would not do anything about it. "But you? You don't get it." The way Syko saw it, they were the intruders on his land, his industry, and had no place being there or questioning him. "You've come to our house, to my house, and threaten to replace me? It seems you've found accusatory before asking any questions." Syko scoffed "Ain't that right boys?" he asked, almost as though it were a kind of clarion call, the men threw their fists into the air and chanted something or another in affirmation.

"Alright, alright boys. We hear you. Let's all settle down. They're just questions. Answer them and we're on our way. That's a promise." Lt. Beren called out firmly, almost reassuring and the chatter stopped.

"Fine... fine... the calibrations? For the barq scales? We calibrate them as often as you boys tell us to do it. Twice a standard month. I do the checks myself as the supervisor. If I'm not on duty, my second takes care of it. That all? Seems to me the most efficient thing would be for you two to leave so our work can be done...on schedule." Syko lamented.

As Syko began to talk Marienna began to move, slowly walking over to one of the holding platforms, a weigh station more or less. Looking at the pile of barq there, left to wait until they had likely left, she turned her eyes to the reading on display. Taking a few steps farther she stepped onto the platform, and again cast her eye on the reading before quickly stepping off and remaining in place. She felt the eyes on her as she moved, and said nothing. She did note that unless she had gained a significant amount of weight, the calibrations were definitely off. Curious. She would be there with this information should Corwin have noticed and ask her for it, or until such time she felt was most opportune to mention it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Corwin watched Syko speak, his face frozen in the grin as the man painted himself into a corner. He wondered if Mr Kuna Syko would have thought it 'humorous' if he exposed the gray matter in his cranium to the atmosphere to interrupt his little speech and show his crew this posturing would not be tolerated. It being a waste of time was the smallest part of the nuisance that caused his hands behind his back to tighten.
    A surprising amount of concern for his fellows considering it would be his own head on the block if his crew didn't make the grade. It would have genuinely impressed Corwin, had he believed even half of the sentiment.

'His house?' Corwin's smile was genuine at that thought. They stood on an Imperial planet. Everything belonged to the Empire, and if he hadn't still had use of Syko he would have taken great pleasure in reminding the boisterous man of that fact, though it was a clever attempt to redirect the conversation. He kept his eyes on the man, not turning to look to LT. Beren, though he had noticed her move off.

He was grateful Marienna had finally interrupted the man, Corwin despised talking to persons of self importance, though they were often enough their own undoing. He had all he needed from the man to proceed. Stupid indeed.

"Ah, see, was that so hard?" Lt. Fischer commented more than asked; his right hand coming up to firmly pat the Supervisor on the left shoulder, his palm leaving a tiny dull speck the size of a pin head on the man's sleeve before retreating to clasp behind back. He continued before Syko could reply.
    "But you have convinced me, Lieutenant Beren, let us leave these hard working citizens of the Empire to their work. We have other business to attend too. Good-day Mr Syko."
    He finished courteously and turned, now noticing Lt. Beren on the Barq scale. She was a very clever woman indeed, and he was interested to see if what she had learned could confirm what they suspected. He gave her a unusually serious look once his back was to Syko as he began marching back the way they had come. He had little doubt she would understand and follow suit as he made his way back out to the front of terminal.

He sighed slightly when Marienna had caught up. "I hope his second is going to be a more agreeable liaison." He mused to himself before he continued running through the conversation again as they walked. "Have you prepared any reports on the situation here? As crass as your friend was, he is correct that the lack of support here is hampering efficiency."

He waited until they arrived back at the speeder before he asked the question itching at the back of his mind.
    "What did your little test determine, do you think they noticed what you were doing?"
    He hadn't bothered directing his attention to the other workers so he genuinely had no idea, but it mattered little if they did. All he needed now was a little patience and luck.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast