Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Star Wars: The Bureaucrats [Hannelorian & Kach]

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Lt. Beren gave a proper salute and turned quickly on her heels walking just ahead of Corwin out of the room, slowing her walk until the two were in perfect synchronization. "I know." Marienna said in an uncharacteristic show of emotion, there was a hint of knowing or sadness in her words, however brief they had been. "This isn't protocol, and it's stupid." Marienna admitted the truth she had known all along, as had Corwin undoubtedly. The blaring sun was hanging low in the sky, night was almost upon them, though it didn't seem to be doing anything to relieve the heat. The sound of her boots against the ground was quiet, it was like Marienna was gliding as opposed to walking, above the ground as opposed to on it.

There was a quiet elegance to everything that she did, a sophistication hidden within the mystery that was her existence. "I appreciate you letting me... join the team." She was grateful for the permission, for the opportunity that honestly she was sure why he allowed her to. This was almost as surprising as Agent Cross giving in so easily to someone who merely spoke back to her. Granted it had been in strong and fairly certain terms, it felt like Cross made a mistake in not putting up more of a fight.

Marienna turned her head ever so slightly to watch Corwin as the two walked. She wanted to see his every reaction, his every expression. "Oh. Someone was looking for you." Marienna added almost casually, though with her normal degree of candor and lack of emotion in responses. "A Lt. Andrews. I believe that was her name. She seemed quite interested." Marienna preferred to be matter-of-fact, she thought it only right that he be informed someone was indeed looking for him. This was the right thing to do, the normal thing to do. Her commentary was a bit direct, she did seem interested. Too interested and for whatever reason it got under her skin. This was troublesome and unwelcome. Though there was no need to raise such an issue.
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Modern, SciFi, Combat, Cooperative, One on One
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A worrying thought crossed Corwin's mind. Had Marienna finally cracked? The logical woman was now being anything but. He had never expected to see her so shaken, let alone at a droid, even one she claimed as a friend. In half a day they went from a normal day to dragging bodies and loosing friends...
    For that matter how was he doing? He felt angry... All that death, for what? They couldn't stand against the Empire.
    And, he realized, he was worried. Not for himself, but for Marienna, his friend. Would she do something foolish and run into danger? Corwin's face was stoic.

Marienna's words snapped him out of his thoughts and he regarded her as they walked. The sunset painted her porcelain features in shades of orange. Was it simply a trick of the light, or had she changed? The mask had dissolved and the woman seemed... alive. Gracefully flowing; a flame moving along a match.

"Good. I was beginning to think you had misplaced your senses. " Corwin replied wryly, looking back ahead. Troops once again scrambled to and fro in the compound, most getting into positions to depart for the raid.

"We are not combat troops." Corwin reminded. "We stay out of the way, and keep our heads down. You are not to take any chances." He added lightly. He hoped he didn't need to be any more explicit with the woman than that. Agent Cross was not one to be trifled with.

"Oh?" Corwin replied, distracted by his mental preparations for what would come, his smile still missing, almost leaving a grimace.
    He raised an eyebrow at the name and thought on it. "The squadron leader, right? Interested? In what?" He turned to her quizzically. "Finding me?"
    He nodded, looking forward again seeming to figure out his own answer. "She must not have realized Captain Winters had returned and she wanted to deliver her report."
    The final battle,
    Pain, suffering; overcome,
    by the united.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The very notion that Marienna had lost her senses in the first place was somewhat offensive. She prided herself on her logic, though often times her decisions may seem impulsive they were often well thought out. Often being the key phrase. There was also the very real question of whether or not she would be impulsive on the mission. Corwin, perhaps, assumed that her loyalty was entirety to the Empire. This was true, and yet untrue. Marienna detested the Empire, and their crimes. But she understood firmly, that to control the damage, she had to do her part, and that meant cooperating. That meant working against the system from within, or at the very least, trying to control outcomes where she could. Corwin was a tried and true company man, something that she had come to admire. Marienna on the other hand could best be likened to a loose cannon.

The lieutenant paid no heed to the troops scrambling about them, she simply moved effortlessly forward, determined to accomplish her task as best as she could. "I did not join this mission looking for a fight." Marienna said rather plainly, indeed she was not here to aid in some quest for revenge and glory. "I want to get to the bottom of this. There has to be more to it. The only way to stop the needless end of life is to figure out what we can do." As always, she was matter of fact, there was little, if any, trepidation in her voice. She found herself reflecting briefly on her earlier comments, her acknowledgment that this was stupid. It was. Maybe she wasn't as logical or reasonable as she had believed. The doubt was an interesting notion.

"You aren't smiling anymore." Marienna remarked, seemingly out of nowhere, though her face still remained neutral. There was a part of her most reluctant to admitting how she cared for him. Perhaps more than she should. "You're always smiling, I'd venture to say you're worried I'll be act a fool." When she spoke this words, she did not mean to assume he thought ill of her, but rather he was concerned. That part, well, that brought her some satisfaction. "I'll be careful." A hint of a smile crossed her face before vanishing.

As she prepared herself for the mission, they had arrived at the speeder bay. Hours earlier this was where they began a journey that lead to this. One that almost cost them their lives, and indeed had claimed the lives of their compatriots and in some regards, their friends. "I don't think that's quite right." Marienna remarked when summing her thoughts on Lieutenant Andrews. "I think she was looking for you, specifically." Marienna attempted to illustrate that it wasn't merely a matter of delivering a report. As the lieutenant settled herself into the passenger seat of a speeder, Corwin's preferred model of the ones available, she removed her hat. Running her fingers through her dark hair, brushing stray locks back behind her ears she sighed. "She's interested. In you. Or your sister, it was hard to tell, but she did mention it." Playing coy was not her strong suit, Marienna realized this too late, however. This. This is why she preferred to keep the company of droids. Far less complicated.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Corwin looked puzzled. He paused, hand on the speeder as she continued. He seemed taken aback at the insinuation.
    "That doesn't make sense, she's navy, not ISB. Why would she be looking into me? And what would my sister..."
    He trailed off before a grin split his lips. He chuckled as he slid into the driver seat of the speeder.

He backed the speeder out of the stall just before a transport began easing out. The transport apparently didn't notice the speeder as it quickly reversed to face toward the motor pool's exit. Corwin wordlessly accelerated rearward to avoid the hulking vehicle with a jolt. Oblivious, the transport rumbled forward out of the motor pool.
    "Does everyone want a piece of us today?" Corwin grumbled suddenly sour, but it was short lived.

"Apologies about Andrews. Kind of an occupational hazard around me. My sister has always been that way, and my parents encourage her." He shook his head with a large grin. "I think she got some ideas in her head when I was telling her about you. I would wager her last posting was on the Overseer. I wouldn't be surprised if Terisa convinced her to take this posting to keep an eye on me after my last posting."
    His smile wilted at the memory of his last station, short though it was.

Corwin followed the troop transport down the dirt road, far enough behind to avoid the cloud of dust it kicked into the darkening sky, and coincidentally far enough back to avoid an explosion that would affect the transport.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

It seemed, to Marienna that the relationship between Corwin and his sister was somewhat odd. Perhaps competitive was an appropriate word. He had, of course, mentioned her in the past though he never went into much detail. It was within the realm of possibility that this was something of a sore subject. It led her to reflect, for just a moment on her brother and the rather fractured relationship they maintained. Marienna did not seem particularly interested in fostering it further, in sharing with her family, what precious little of that she had left.

That wasn't who Marienna was, not at her core. She often felt betrayed by the humans around her, so thoroughly, so devastatingly. To trust in people was a mistake. Yet here she was, in the passenger seat of a landspeeder, sitting next to the one person she had come to trust over time. Granted, having one's life almost ripped away from you, had something of an effect. The Lieutenant allowed her gloved hands to come to rest in her lap, she sat with perfect posture. The transport's lack of awareness was something if an annoyance. Marienna simply shook her head and noted Corwin's change of mood, however brief it was. The high tension and the events of the day had worn everyone down.

The feeling of the wind created by speeder running through her hair felt nice. It was warm, but refreshing, it kept one present and in the moment. The smells of the planet in the early evening were unique, it was the smell of earth, soil, crops. "You needn't apologize for Andrews, it wasn't a problem." Her tone was cool, somewhat relaxed, perhaps she had softened a little much around Corwin. "What is it exactly that you told her about me?" Marienna had, largely assumed it wasn't particularly thrilling information. Generally, when her superiors discussed her, it wasn't in a complimentary fashion.

"Besides, wasn't your last posting Coruscant? I can't imagine you got into too much trouble there." She was inquisitive, perhaps to distract herself from what they were about to do, then again, there was much that remained unknown about what they would actually be walking into. "So, Andrews is either a spy, or she has... affections for you. Interesting." Marienna wondered for a moment whether or not her brother would spy on her if he had the option.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Corwin nodded, grateful that Andrews had not been too much of a nuisance. He could not say the same for all of the ersatz agents his sister had employed. He found it embarrassing, and the fact his parents condoned it, infuriating. He wasn't a child, he didn't need to be supervised. He never remained angry with his parents and sister too long about their overbearing tendency; the memory of waking up in a bacta tank with the faces of them wearing masks of anguish was burned into his memory.

To his own surprise, Corwin took on a faint flush at the question. He had a very open relationship with his sister and she was frustratingly curious.
    "You weren't what I expected." He offered carefully, "Devilishly clever, concerningly empathetic, strikingly beautiful..." He trailed off, his flush deepening. "And pleasently puzzling." He said finally. It hadn't been in so few words, but it was a good summation of the 'Marienna Beren' portion of the conversation.

He quickly changed gears when offered the opportunity.
    "Not ON Coruscant exactly..." He was obviously a bit off balance at this point as he focused on piloting the speeder rigidly.
    "Above it, on an orbital medical station. I was grateful for the transfer to this stinking rock." He laughed uncertainly.

Crimson filled Corwins cheeks making his rust orange beard light by comparison. "I am fairly certain she is a spy... At any rate I could not trust any Imperial pilot or Naval officer not to be in the pocket of my sister." He shuttered. Terisa had not tried to play match maker yet, and he hoped it would stay that way. He was exaggerating of course, she didn't have sway over vast swaths of personnel, but he would never be able to be certain.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

When Corwin, rather candidly, explained what he had told his sister of her, Marienna looked intently upon him. The young woman had seldom heard such complimentary things of herself. Marienna realized that she often assumed the worst in people, and perhaps this wasn't always the best course of action. She could feel the flush build in her cheeks. Marienna was never any good at hiding such things, given her pallid skin. When Corwin remarked on her beauty she turned bright red, found herself looking down and raising her gloved hands to cover her cheeks while her colour settled.

"Corwin... I... had no... uh... Thank you." Was all she managed to push out. For in truth, Marienna had similar feelings for Corwin, he was handsome, and far more complex than he would let on. The happy-go-lucky was just the surface. Today he had shown himself, fearless. He was able to do what few would have been, to act bravely in a moment of absolute terror.

"My brother, he's in politics back on Naboo. So I get it. A little bit." Marienna remarked, her voice no longer trembling as it had been when she thanked him. This was an area far more comfortable for her. "According to our research, and recent discovery we should almost be there. It appears to be a previously undiscovered cave system. Far reaching. Likely the result of early attempts at mining this planet before it was determined agriculture was the only available path." Marienna had seen this time and again, sometimes at the hands of the Empire otherwise it was just the history of the planet. Creatures far and wide would work to determine any available resource. "I expect... this won't go very well."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Grateful for the change in subject he listened intently, his posture relaxing as his embarrassment ebbed.
    Corwin had not expected the quick shift back to the task at hand. Perhaps Marienna did not want to talk further on her brother? Or maybe it was just because they were getting close.

They were heading to a lightly hilled area. Their didn't seem to be any development in the area, but the road seemed well traveled.

"Why do you think that?"
    The day had already been a long unpleasant one. If Marienna thought the assault was going to go poorly, why had she wanted to come? Corwin had little experience in combat. Today's events had been as close as he had come.

The speeders began to slow as they came to a hill that had been half excavated with piles of rouge dirt heaped and covered with weeds. A mine shaft was visible in the earthen side of the hill.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

As the speeder came to a stop and Marienna exited the vehicle, she turned her full attention to Corwin. Rightfully he had asked why she had such a glum outlook, and he was entitled to honesty. "I've been studying the work of various Rebel groups on each planet I am stationed... the outlook is poor when well... the Empire does what it does." Marienna lowered her voice, walking closely to Corwin she leaned in.

"Guerilla warfare is dirty to the core, they know the land, they know the caves far better than we ever will... They have the upper hand and we won't give them credit. Nor will we take the caution we should. It's all rather cavalier. We will take a bruising today if we aren't careful. There is also the specific nature of this threat." Marienna swallowed on nothing, she raised a gloved hand and wrapped it around his forearm. For the first time she was expressing true doubt, or uncertainty. Her eyes fluttered and she took a deep breath.

"They can be us. They can look like us. We could kill innocents, out of fear they are the enemy. Similarly we could let those in cahoots escape, because we believe them to be human. The margin for error is very thin. We are playing at fate. We are playing into traps. This is not a pleasant prospect. We should be fearful."

Marienna came out of duty, she came to try to stay the hand of an overly zealous Empire that would kill before asking questions. Marienna came out of her ultimate sense of loyalty, and that was not to the Empire, it was not to herself.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Corwin was not in a rush to exit the speeder, he lounged in the seat, finally turning to face her as she spoke. He wore no smile and his brow was furrowed.

He stared into her grey eyes, ash from a fire no longer burning but still hot enough to sear, there was conviction there. Marienna had seen it before. What she said made sense.
    He was startled by her touch and his heart leapt. He never thought he would see her afraid. Even in the midst of the wreckage of the attack, she was unsettled and sad, but not afraid. He thought back to her panicked shout at the first sight of the wreck, but even that paled in comparison to what he felt from her now.

"We will do our job, and we will be careful. And if I have anything to do with it, we will all get home." He tried to assure her, putting his hand on the gloved hand resting on him. A moment passed as he pressed her hand against his arm before releasing it and climbing out of the speeder.

Quickly marching to the troop transport, Corwin Flagged down Sub-Lieutenant Spears who was directing troopers to establish a perimeter and scouts to check for signs of the rebels in their surroundings.

" Sub-Lieutenant Spears, a word please." Corwin asked politely with a faint smile beginning to revive.

Sub-Lieutenant Spears looked to the pair with uncertainty. "Go on."

"Agent Cross and Captain Winters gave us permission to accompany you as observers and offer any aid we can." Lt. Fisher explained, trying to show he was not trying to take over command from SubLt Spears.
    "I have a thought on how to deal with any possible Rebels in the cave."

Spears seemed unimpressed but let Corwin continue.

"If we make a fire, or deploy smoke inside of the mouth of the cave, the Rebels will be flushed either through this entrance, or another that we can watch for. Any that remain will be neutralized and pose no danger to clearing operations. They will not be able to remove the drives and cannot plan any traps. As well the shapeshifters will be at a great disadvantage."
    The idea had come to Corwin when he had remembered an incident at a race track on Coruscant. A fire had broken out in front of a garage and a service crew was trapped inside. The fire had only raged for a few minutes, but the crew had all suffocated in the room sealed by fire when rescue had finally arrived.

Spears seemed to consider for a moment before he replied. "I appreciate the tactical input of the Logistics Core, but I think we have the situation well in hand."
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast