Thread: Roman Republic/Senate rp ~ interest check / recruitment

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Historical, & Yaoi <3
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default Roman Republic/Senate rp ~ interest check / recruitment

Greetings, Noble Senators

Basic Premise

Players roleplay as Senators in the Roman Republic.

Together, we will decide how the Republic should govern itself, and how it responds to internal and external issues. Pursue a personal agenda, or just try to do what what you think is best for the Roman people. This will be our own unique timeline.

Inspiration (skippable)
    So this is an idea I've wanted to do for a long time, but I've had trouble finding people for it. I've always liked strategy games (not sure why, they're not really fun), and I've always thought it would be neat to play like a grand strategy game or something, but have a bunch of people simulating the government, and then having all of the player input be 100% determined by this collaborative body roleplaying its internal characters. Idk, I just always thought it would a neat, fun experiment.

So that's pretty much the premise, I plan to try using Imperator (a pretty robust grand strategy game focused on rome) as a tool to simulate the environment, pressures, and results of our actions in the RP. I have a few other things I might try using behind the scenes to simulate as best I can a living world for us to interact with. I'll use those tools to help inform the RP and convey everything through roleplay, acting as a sort of DM. Ultimately that stuff should serve the RP first and foremost, not the other way around, I want it to feel like an engaging roleplay, not like we're just playing a video game via forum.

Notes
    I'll probably add some more notes/thoughts, but I'm gonna go rest for now. Just want to get this up and start seeing if anyone is interested. I've been working on a simple easy system for how everything will work and how to structure the RP so it can run smoothly. Please let me know if this interests you at all, and share any thoughts or questions! <3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think id be interested in this. im a fan of grand strategy games myself

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

@Jarms48; @dakkagor; @Atrum Daemon;

Something you gents might enjoy...?
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Go on...

Spoiler: Completely Unsolicited, Contextual Praise Definitely not Acquired via Torture 

The Grey Lady
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Ditto. I'd be interested to see how you imagine the mechanics of this one working!
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Sorry I haven't updated yet, I am working on this in the background. Looks like there's enough interest in this, so I'll probably just go ahead post the details as an OOC once I'm finished with my notes. I have a lot of schoolwork and work work to do this weekend, so I'm aiming for Monday or Tuesday to have the OOC up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Sorry y'all, I'm having some serious issues with online schooling right now, I swear I haven't forgotten about this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Howdy y'all. Sorry about dropping off like that, turned out to be terrible timing. But things are finally settled down for me now and I wanted to follow through on this in case folks were still interested.

So I spent a few hours thinking about it last night and looking at some of the other tools I was thinking of using to help simulate the republic and the ancient world for mechanical inspiration. I think the best way to start is to keep it simple and expand and adjust as necessary as we go along. If people are still interested, let me know, and let me know your thoughts, comments, or concerns! <3

If it looks like there's still interest, I'll go ahead and put up the OOC, otherwise, no worries.

Characters

So for characters, rather than controlling a "character" per se, I'm thinking it makes sense for each player to essentially control a single family/house or political faction based around one. You'll have you head of household who is basically your character/senator, but then you can also control (if you want to) any minor characters or npc's basically who are a part of that family, work for them, or are associated/aligned with them. Character sheets, if any, will probably be fairly minor and simple, characters are expected to die of old age if nothing else and be replaced as time marches on. It will probably be more of a Family or Faction sheet.

Structure

Basic structure starting out will be this: Either a player wants to make a proposal to the senate, or an event occurs that requires action by the senate > Each player gets the option to come up with a scene to play out if they want to take some action with their character or family/faction. > We play out the senate hearing > Vote on the relevant proposals or events > See and/or play out the results of our decisions > Time skip to the next proposal or event, and hold elections when relevant.

The Grey Lady
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm still interested.
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.