I know you're trying to forget
    But between the drinks and subtle things
    The holes in my apologies, you know
    I'm trying hard to take it back
    So if by the time the bar closes
    And you feel like falling down
    I'll carry you home

“Wishing you didn’t look now, right?”

Juniper felt her cheeks flood with color at the question. She couldn’t speak and just nodded her head. This was the first time the woman had been rendered speechless. Quickly recovering from looking at the brick wall in front of them she sighed softly. Juniper felt the weight of the world on her shoulders the closer they got to graduation.

Tonight
    We are young
    So let's set the world on fire
    We can burn brighter than the sun

Tonight
    We are young

Now I know that I'm not
    All that you got
    I guess that I, I just thought
    Maybe we could find new ways to fall apart
    But our friends are back
    So let's raise a toast
    'Cause I found someone to carry me home

The one thing Juniper hasn’t spoken about is the location of her next chapter in life. She would be enlisting in the Army as a Captain. Her contract was already signed and she was to report for Basic the week after her graduation. Juniper didn’t know how to tell her friends about this, not sure they would understand. But C’est La Vie one would say. Watching Julie walk off she smiled again. She really was turning into the moral compass of this rag-tag bunch. This was often the role she was the most comfortable with.

Tonight
    We are young

Carry me home tonight (Nananananana)
    Just carry me home tonight (Nananananana)
    Carry me home tonight (Nananananana)
    Just carry me home tonight (Nananananana)

“Oh, so we’re living life on the edge now, are we?”

“As your friend Freud would say, were he alive today, it isn’t wise to let the French in on your open tab.”

Juniper smiled.“Just for tonight, what Freud doesn’t know, won’t kill him,” Juniper spoke, not really caring to talk about Freud or any university nonsense. If it was possible she wanted to drink, dance, and just enjoy this outing, since there weren’t many more for her.

The moon is on my side (Nananananana)
    I have no reason to run (Nananananana)
    So will someone come and carry me home tonight (Nananananana)
    The angels never arrived (Nananananana)
    But I can hear the choir (Nananananana)
    So will someone come and carry me home (Nananananana)

“Oh Juni, you needn't worry over this one. Can’t tell his Manet from his Monet from mayonnaise.”

Juniper snapped her attention back to Eric and felt her eyes roll again. Yes, he was attractive, but that’s also what irked Juniper about him. Plus he just simply wasn't her type. Juniper was about to make a more witty remark when Azu spoke again.

“Dear Juniper.Game plan.”

“Another round. And then...we dance.”

Juniper felt Azu’s arm linked with hers and she was once again walking with the woman to the bar. Once there she again faced the black-haired barkeep. “Another Kettle One and Tonic and a Hendrick’s and tonic for my friend,” Juniper smiled again. Another drink and then dancing. It was a grand day to be young and free...or was it?

Tonight
    We are young

Tonight
    We are young

So if by the time the bar closes
    And you feel like falling down
    I'll carry you home tonight

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Azucena should have had a plan more of a plan, anyway. Nearly every detail of her life had been planned for her. Every school she attended, every extra curricular she did. Azucena's parents were not necessarily overbearing, but they had a very clear idea of who their daughter was, and who their daughter would be every day of her life until the two of them died satisfied knowing their darling daughter turned out the success their dead beat son never was or never could be. Their daughter would enter the family business in high end art dealing. University had transformed the young woman into her own person with her own thoughts and ideas and views on the world. In a strange twist of fate, or perhaps a kind gesture from the universe, Art and Art History were a true passion of hers. It was when she first set sight on the Bosch's "Tondal's Vision" that she fell in complete and utter love and hadn't been able to look away since. The knight who went on a journey through hell. In the coming months Azucena had, unbeknownst to her parents arrange interviews for a number of museum positions, though to think too much more on it would have been dangerous, so she largely left it alone. Maybe what Azucena really needed was an escape plan, in the mean time she'd settle for a Ph.D.

The young woman watched as Juni's cheeks had filled with color and come roaring to life. It was moments like that were one could feel it... life that is. Little automatic reactions of the body that most never pay attention to. Like taking a moment to rest your hand to your chest and feel your own heart beat. When Azucena stopped, taking her own advice and just took the smallest moment to look at her friend. Juniper was beautiful, she was confident in her own way and when she thought about, likely the smartest person in the room at any given time. Yet so much of her remained a mystery to Azu. Such was life, every person was entitled to their secrets, Azucena thought.

She had laughed at the response to the comment on Freud, knowing full well that Juni was never quite in the camp anyway, times had changed she thought. As Azucena walked away she could feel Eric's eyes burn into her back as the two girls moved. As she cast her gaze backward she flashed a small smile and approached the bar where Juniper had ordered the next round. "Well if you are embracing this head on, I suppose I should too." She commented quickly and could not accept the drink into her hand fast enough raising the rim of the glass to her lips and sipping on the delightfully cool beverage. "It's nice to see this didn't take very much convincing at all. This is a good look for you." Azu remarked as she stepped away from the bar, smiling at Julie, even going so far as to give her a wave as she came to a small table.

"Tell me, Juni." She began, rather sweetly enough. "When on Earth is the last time you went dancing? And how excited are you that I'm going to make you do it again." Azu's face bore a smile, her make up holding well in the far too hot conditions of the club. Finishing the drink over the next few minutes Azu rested the glass, weeping with condensation down on to the table and clapped her hands together. Raising a finger in the air and wagging it lightly, she smiled and nodded along with the tune. "I hate this song." She managed to get out, finally feeling a little more relaxed, a little more present in the moment. "But we are going to dance to it." She was definitive in her tone, maybe it was the heavy pour on the drink. Azu didn't really know, but something felt right. "It'll be midnight soon anyway. New year, same us." Moving backward now, careful she took hold of Juniper's hand and pulled them to join the revelers on the dance floor. Joining the fray, the scent was inescapable and exactly what was expected. Sweat, heat, bodies ultimately clashing together. This is how they were supposed to spend their youth while they still had it.
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Fantasy, Modern, Sci-Fi, Dystopian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Something was slightly off with the energy of the club. Juniper grabbed her drink and took a sip, putting the odd feeling in the back of her mind. It must have been the fact that she only had a few more months before Basic and Officer Training.

“Well if you are embracing this head-on, I suppose I should too.”

Azu’s comment caused Juniper’s jaw to go slack a bit. “You weren’t?” Her question was filled with surprise. “I always thought you thrived in these outings.” She finally finished her statement trying not to seem rude to her friend. Juniper always saw Azu as calm and collected in these social situations.

“It’s nice to see this didn’t take very much convincing at all. This is a good look for you.”

Juniper again hesitated to respond to Azu’s comment. She was more in shock that she was actually having a good time. Juniper wasn’t the most outgoing person, but she did enjoy spending time with Azu, no matter where it took her.

“Tell me Juni.”

“When on Earth was the last time you went dancing? And how excited are you that I’m going to make you do it again?”

Before Juniper could respond she downed her drink and placed the empty glass down. She watched Azu debate on if they should dance or not to a song she hated before she was led to the dance floor. The dance floor itself was packed. Couples pressed against each other in a sea of limbs and sweat. “Azu, I have never gone dancing.” She admitted slightly yelling to be heard above the crashing music. As much as she tried to put the odd energy in the back of her mind something was wrong...so very wrong…
    Last edited by Corvina; 07-15-2021 at 09:53 PM.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

“I always thought you thrived in these outings.”

The young woman was herself taken aback in this comment. Azucena had indeed succeeded. Perfection. What a ludicrous notion, pathetic even. Yet this very thing was ingrained in her from a young age. No, Azucena Laurent did not need to actually be perfect, but rather with every breath she should strive to project the notion of perfection. Certain actions could be overlooked, swept under the rug as it were, so long as no one outside could see even the slightest crack in the thin porcelain veneer.

Like a wave struck her, she was brought back in her own memory. Azucena stood before a mirror, barely 17 in an elegant evening gown. Her done up, make-up to the nines, she was the perfect image of beauty, a status symbol incarnate. Standing before a mirror, not entirely unlike she had been earlier in the evening. Her head turned with the sound of the handle on the door being clumsily turned. There was only one person who entered her room without knocking. A young man, a few years older than her entered and moved toward her. Tuxedo disheveled, shirt unbuttoned, bowtie strewn over the shoulders and a half empty bottle in hand. He stopped behind her, resting a hand on her shoulder and stared at the pair in the mirror.

"Welcome to hell little saint." the voice was deep, but honest. The inflection shared commonalities with her own speech. Her eyes looked upward toward his face with a gentle, if not concerned smile. "Brother... I think you've had enough for one night." Azu remarked turning now to face him, this was something she was well used to. "Sister. Tell me you honestly enjoy putting on these shows, being their puppet. You hate this every drop as much as I do." It was odd, they never really seemed to use names, it was always "Brother." "Sister." Azu, turning back the mirror had no response.

Snapping back to the moment, Azu had smiled and shook her head. "If I thrive it is only because of your indomitable spirit and companionship." She followed up rather quickly, have brushed the rest off as the two were now lost in the ever moving sea of bodies. It was of no surprise to hear that Juni hadn't really been dancing before. However, Azu just had a smile on her face, pushing the gnawing feeling that something was wrong to the back of her mind. "Well then, allow me to introduce you." Azu raised her voice to be heard. And just like that, Azu felt the music move through her. The vibrations from the floor, really all around flowing through her she let herself go, away with pretense and just giving in to letting her body move, dance, get taken away with the moment. Carried off to sea, the darkness be damned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

“ … .indomitable spirit.”

Juniper glanced at Azu, the woman seemed lost in thought. But upon hearing her words Juniper smiled sadly. It was like something grabbed her chest and tore out her heart to hear them. Juniper was 16 when her mother died. She could imagine the white walls and floors, the static crackling on the tv when her mother would get bored of finding something to watch. The smells of disinfectant, the constant fighting to keep her concentration on her schoolwork while her mother prattled off musings of her life.

Yes, she did have a father but Juniper hadn’t seen the man since she was 9 when her parents divorced. So it was up to Juni to provide and take care of her ailing mother on top of her school obligations. So she did, what choice did she have? Calling her father would result in silence, complaining at school would only get her removed from her home. So she bit the bullet and became the adult of the house.

“Juni?”
    “Yes, Mom?”
    “Never lose your indomitable spirit.”
    “Mom. stop it, you'll be fine.”
    “I love you, Juni.”
    “I love you too, Mom”

That was the last conversation she ever had with her mother. The following day when Juniper went to school she was brought to the principal’s office and the news broke of her mother’s death. After a week of living with her father and his perfect family, she applied to be an emancipated minor. It was a failed case seeing as her father had the money to hire a better lawyer and she remained under his care.

“Well then, allow me to introduce you.”

Azu’s voice was enough to bring her back to the present. Juniper watched Azu move to the music and attempted to mimic her movements only to laugh at how awkward it was. “I don’t think I’m any good at this,” Juniper said between laughs. In the background, others in the bar were counting down. The New Year was almost upon us and Juniper couldn’t think of a better way to bring it in than attempting to dance and laughter.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

For a single moment Azucena could see the color flee Juniper's face, despite the fact she had a smile on. Azu let it go as quickly as it came. Juni finally seemed to be enjoying herself, letting go and just trying to go with the moment. Azu danced, letting her limbs move as they needed to, and in doing so she watched Juni experience a kind of freedom she had seldom witnessed. There was a divine laughter, and Azucena was here for each and every moment of it in some cases not being able to help but laugh as well. The minutes between them and the dawn of a new year felt like hours.

“I don’t think I’m any good at this...”

Azu between laughing and smiling wrapped her arms around her friend, stopping the two of them for a moment. "You're perfect at it." Azu sort of yelled, but attempted to be reassuring in her tone. As the two bodies came to rest the call of the countdown began. Not long now, just a few seconds to go. Azu thought to herself, and just like that she was once again called back. Flashing before her eyes she could picture it, all of the past New Year celebrations. They were like a flood. All the same, yet somehow all different. Each year, another party, another stupid theme.

Should old acquaintance be forgot
    And never brought to mind?
    Should old acquaintance be forgot
    And old lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
    for auld lang syne,
    we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
    for auld lang syne

Cheering, clinking of glasses, laughing and smiling. All of it so predictable. The Laurent family the hosts of another delightful fete that would be the ball to start the year only to be matched by the next affair. This is what they were known for, and my god in the last couple of years Azucena realized that perhaps her brother had been right all along. Azucena hated it. Was it last year? Perhaps the year before she had even tried desperately to convince Juniper to join her on the trip home to make the whole thing a little more tolerable.

This time, this time it wasn't like that. Azucena was doing her own thing, what she had convinced her self at the very least that this was what she wanted. Maybe it was, at least she was living this moment on her own terms. As the countdown reached 1, the room exploded in noiseand confetti rained down from the rafters onto the revelers below, and Azucena stood with a smile, looking at her friend she nodded her head and mouthed the phrase "Happy New Year darling." Turning her attention upward toward the falling stuff just lost in the moment.

And there's a hand my trusty friend!
    And give me a hand o' thine!
    And we'll take a right good-will draught,
    for auld lang syne.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is the end
    Hold your breath and count to ten
    Feel the earth move and then
    Hear my heart burst again

For this is the end
    I've drowned and dreamt this moment
    So overdue I owe them
    Swept away, I'm stolen
    Let the sky fall
    When it crumbles
    We will stand tall
    Face it all together

No matter how much Juniper let loose and lived in the moment a nagging feeling kept creeping back into her thoughts. She couldn’t place her finger on where it was coming from, but she knew something was wrong.

“You’re perfect at it.”

Once again Azu was her anchor to reality. Juniper smiled as the countdowns began. She really hated this part, why was it such a big deal to count down to the start of the Next Year? She could honestly never understand the excitement of watching a crystal-covered ball slowly slide down a pole. Though she followed Azu’s non-verbal cue and stopped attempting to dance and watched the excitement build for the club goers.

Let the sky fall
    When it crumbles
    We will stand tall
    Face it all together
    At Skyfall
    That Skyfall

Skyfall is where we start
    A thousand miles and poles apart
    Where worlds collide and days are dark
    You may have my number, you can take my name
    But you'll never have my heart

Let the sky fall (let the sky fall)
    When it crumbles (when it crumbles)
    We will stand tall (we will stand tall)
    Face it all together

Juniper watched Azu, the woman once again seemingly lost in thought, and smiled again. She still felt guilty for not attending Azu on her trip home. Last year was a mess since Juniper’s father and ‘evil’ stepmother decided to have a New Year's Vow renewal. Ahh yes, the bitter rage when even thinking about Darcy and her children. After all, Juniper wasn’t overly welcomed in that house. According to her father, Juniper looked too much like her mother, so it was hard for him to accept her staying in his home. He gave her a trust fund, but nothing else after she graduated high school.

Face it all together
    At Skyfall

(Let the sky fall
    When it crumbles
    We will stand tall)

(Let the sky fall
    When it crumbles
    We will stand tall)

Juniper forced a smile back on her face as the countdown reached 1. Confetti and noise exploded from the rafters falling on the dance floor as Juni brought her gaze to meet Azu. “Happy New Year,” Juniper mouthed back.

Where you go I go
    What you see I see
    I know I'd never be me
    Without the security
    Of your loving arms
    Keeping me from harm
    Put your hand in my hand
    And we'll stand

Face it all together

Between the noise and the cheering, the party-goers wouldn’t be able to hear faint screams, disembodied growls, or even notice the panic setting in the world. The club’s television was switched off after the ball dropped so they would be left clueless as to what was transpiring in the depths of society. Could they survive?

Face it all together
    At Skyfall

Let the sky fall
    We will stand tall
    At Skyfall
    Oh-s…

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

As the New Year descended upon the country, so did madness. Within the club the monitors had turned off, allowing the music to once again rise to a deafening volume, the last of the confetti coming to rest on the dance floor. Azucena smiling wildly as her friend mouthed the trivial greeting back to her. The words didn't matter, nothing mattered in this fleeting moment except the two of them together. If only she could hold onto this moment for just a little longer, but with each passing second Azucena could feel it slipping through her fingers into the territory of memory.

Grabbing her friend by the arm for the umpteenth time for the evening, Azu pulled Juni from the dance floor, still smiling but away from the vast majority of masses gathered in that spot. If she paid more attention, she would have more obviously noticed the hair on the back of her neck standing, something was wrong. There was something in the corner of her mind that screamed, begged for her to run, get out. Something that felt distinct from her normal anxiety, but Azucena pushed it down for the most part, deeming such though purely irrational.

As the two came off the floor, Azu noticed Julie, Eric and company homing in on them. For a moment they hoped that they would simply exchange pleasantries. As Eric neared her she felt him leaning in closer and within an instant she rested her palm back on his chest pushing him away. "Happy New Year." Azu bid them kindly, still smiling, and they in turn returned as expected. "I think I'm gonna settle up and head out, you coming, Juni?." Azu turned to her friend with the request, and it was certainly just that, a request as opposed to a desperate cry for rescue.

"Aww, why so early ZuZu?" Julie asked. How Azucena positively hated that name, to her recollection Julie was the only one to use it, and likely to irritate her. "Something... just feels off, you know? Don't worry! Stay, enjoy. I'll see you at home, okay?" Azu remarked, putting on her typical airs. She knew exactly how to play every situation, how exactly to say what she needed to say without raising suspicion or alarm. God, her family had prepared her well for. Or so she had hoped. Azu winked then, and quickly made her way to the bar, making good on her promise to herself, successfully retrieving Juni's card, and charging the evening to herself instead. Who would have thought one of the last normal things she would do would be to settle a tab?

The madness from the outside would eventually creep its way in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Juniper smiled as Azu pulled her once again on the dance floor. She was actually glad to have a day where she could forget everything, honestly, she needed this night out, though she wouldn’t admit it out loud. More people crowded the dance floor as the music once again blared out of the speakers and Juniper once again laughed at how insane this night had been.

The feeling of something not being right floated in her mind still, and Juniper did her best to push the small voice back down and get lost in the moment. It wasn’t until Eric, Julie and the others crossed towards them that Juniper groaned softly. Juniper once again watched as Eric leaned into Azu, though the woman was just as quickly pushing him backward.

“Happy New Year.”
    “I think I’m gonna settle up and head out, you coming, Juni?”

A smile crossed her face at the look of disappointment that fell on Eric’s dumbstruck face. Juniper turned her green gaze towards Azu; the golden flecks in Juniper’s eyes seemed slightly illuminated in the club lights. “Sounds like a plan,” Juniper yelled slightly to be heard over the cheering and music.

“Aww, why so early ZuZu?”

The remark came from Julie and Juniper gritted her teeth. Turning her head, Juniper smiled sweetly, something she never did when it came to Julie. “Well some of us actually want to pass our classes, instead of partying all night on their Daddy’s dime.” The insult was out of Juniper’s mouth before she once again smiled.

“Something… just feels off, you know? Don’t worry! Stay, enjoy. I’ll see you at home, okay?”

This time Azu was the clear-headed one of the group. But to Juniper’s defense, she did put up with Julie’s remarks most of the night. Juniper watched Azu cross to the bar and settle the tab. Juniper finally glared at Julie and turned and crossed to the bar after Azu. “Time to get back to normal right? Little did the club-goers know cell towers would soon stop working and states would issue a declaration of emergencies if the government was still standing in the following days.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"Time to get back to normal right?" Juni remarked, how ironic those words would become in just minutes from now.

January 1st, New York City 1:17am.

The city swelled with drunken revelry, the air had grown bitingly cold and on it the stench of death began to march down the streets of Manhattan, crossing the avenues and filling alley ways. A foul stench was not the only thing carried on the morning air. Air which once so crisp would prove delightfully refreshing to those exiting the clubs and beginning their journeys home, sober or otherwise. The sky was bright, made bright not by the light of stars as it once had been even a hundred years ago, but polluted with the light of man, skyscrapers as numerous and high as the eye could see, all that light almost entirely erasing the beauty of the natural world. The air carried something mysterious on it, something unseen, and then, if you listened... the sounds of screaming crashing over the building like waves breaking on the shore. The sounds of blood curdled screaming. What was once a night of joy and renewal had broken into a morning of nightmare. Soon buildings all around would burst into flame, smoke filling the already super saturated air. In the snap of ones fingers, the blink of an eye the entire world had changed, and those who hadn't already fallen victim to this unknown plague weren't lucky. For they had witnessed the death of their life, and yet, they were forced to continue until...

Having settled the tab, and with her coat hanging off of a delicate fingertip Azucena made her way toward the door, pushing through people where she had to, and in her other hand, Juni's arm. How it seemed the two were almost attached all night, largely by Azucena's doing, though it seemed appropriate. If the two moved as one, they could push their way through faster, and ensure that neither were left behind in the sea of drunken party goers. Azucena rested her gloved hands on the metal pushbar of the door, the exit and pushed it wide opened, stepping out into a world that only for a moment would seem like the one she had left behind when the two entered the club some hours ago.

Stepping into the midlight, something was wrong. Immediately it hit her, it was at first, the sound of silence. The line at the club doors had dissipated, scattered to the wind, the bouncer who had previously locked eyes with the two pretty young women was no where to be found. Cold, silence. "Hey... Juni?" Azu called back, turning around to look at her friend, she let her hand with holding her coat fall, the fabric crumbling to the floor. "This isn't right." was all Azucena remarked, her eyes seemed wide and almost fearful. That was when it happened, the scent of smoke, the look of smoke barreling down the street, smoke and dirt moving like a bat of out of hell, and carried with it the sound of screaming, of suffering at alternating voices, some loud as if they were close, some soft as though they were just off in the distance.

Looking up into the distance a nearby high rise was engulfed in flame and had indeed begun to collapse in and upon itself. It was something that brought back real memories of the terrorist attacks of September 11th, though surely... Azucena thought to herself this was just an accident, a terrible, terrible accident. Perhaps someone's illegal firework show gone horribly wrong. "We have to go. Right now." Azu moved rather swiftly toward her friend and admittedly was not thinking. At least not about anything practical. One could chock it all up to the desire for continued survival. Fight or flight. There were other sounds, sounds lost in the screaming, sounds almost unhuman, sounds of a guttural near growl.

Where were the cars? Where were the people? Was the party so captivating that none had noticed this event? Where were the usual suspects, those who couldn't look away from a disaster. Those who need to be part of whatever it was that was transpiring right before them. The ever present watchers of the city. Azu looked up to the windows of the buildings around, most had gone dark. What could it mean?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast