Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [M] Darkest Before Dawn

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Modern, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Juniper was used to Azu looping their arms together and the pair moving as a single unit, by now. The odd sensation Juniper had for most of the night intensified when the pair moved outside the club. “Something’s wrong,” the words flew out of Juniper’s lips without hesitation. Juniper barely heard Azu come to the same conclusion.

Glancing about in the moonlight, the eerie silence enveloping Juniper, reminding her of another day when terror and horror caused her country to freeze in place. Trauma was experienced differently for people. Some fought, some ran, some froze, and still, others decided to fawn and placate the situation to avoid conflict. Juniper was surprised her analytical brain was still working at this point. During these times Juniper was known to have a freeze response. She would literally not be able to move until the logical part of her brain could make sense of the situation, and thus what was happening now.

The collapse of buildings around her didn’t pull her back to the reality that was all around the pair. Juniper just couldn’t understand what was going on, she couldn’t grasp what could have caused this.

“We have to go. Right now.”

Azu’s words caused Juniper to blink and see the horrors around them at face value. She quickly glanced around and her eyes locked onto a vehicle that was way too expensive for Juniper to ever think about owning. “I know how to hotwire, can you drive a stick shift?”

Juniper let go of Azu’s arm and quickly crossed to the black 2016 Jaguar F-Type. Juniper was in awe of the craftsmanship of this vehicle. After a quick survey of the vehicle, she was pleased the sports car’s convertible roof was down, that was something they could easily fix once the car started. A curse left Juniper’s lips and she quickly walked to the trunk. She would need a tool kit for this. “Before you ask, I didn’t always have money. I also had a father and evil stepmother that couldn’t care less about what I did or if I was even alive.” Juniper quickly launched into an explanation. “I didn’t have the most wholesome friends, growing up.” Juniper quickly spoke as she traced the trunk trying to find a keyhole, no luck the only way to open it would be to get this car running. “I need screwdriver and wire cutters.” Juniper leaned against the car, thinking.

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"You have to know how to take care of yourself." A low voice spoke, almost muffled, words uttered through the strain of physical exertion. The sound of the jack for a car being pumped up hitting her ears along side the words, and finally in response Azucena let out a deep sigh. "Alexandre won't be around to take care of you forever." The low voice continued and Azucena found herself rolling her eyes. Her brother sat hunched over on the floor working through the slow process of changing a tire on rundown old Toyota he gotten on the cheap, it amused her greatly to watch him, it amused her even more that she couldn't remember the last time he referred to their father as "Papa" or simply "Dad."

"I know, but this is your kind of thing. Studying is my kind of thing. You're practical and I'm highly theoretical. Besides, it's not like you won't be around... right?" Azu replied, genuinely questioning the man. He did what he wanted, Laurent family tradition cast aside in favor of a free-spirited, largely drunken life. "Come on sister. What would you do if the world ended tomorrow and the zombie apocalypse descended on us all? A deep and unending love of the Italian masters won't help." He asked, rather avoiding her question, which frustrated her to no end. He knew that it would. "You need to stop watching scary movies. And hey, if the world were to end in a zombie apocalypse... would knowing how to change a tire really be top of the list?"

"Just about done here... get in, I'll drive you home. Just don't let Lady Miranda catch you getting out of my car. She'll lose her shit."

"Mother would take you back in the house if you just apologized." Azucena knew he wouldn't, their mother knew he wouldn't. He wouldn't come home, he would make a new home, likely far from here.

“I know how to hotwire, can you drive a stick shift?”

The sentence hit her like a ton of bricks. Apparently, changing tires wasn't the trick after all. If only he taught her how to hotwire a car. Azucena hadn't really fully processed the extent of the words spoken to her. As chaos descended around them she instinctively followed by Juniper moving to the car across the road. The fact that Juni knew how to do this wasn't particularly surprising. Azu knew that her life growing up wasn't the easiest, especially not once her mother had died. This was a topic that didn't come up often, Azu didn't blame Juni for not really wanting to discuss it. Azu was never one to press, figuring that Juni would tell her what she needed to when she was ready.

"Uhh... yeah, yeah I can drive stick." Azu finally managed to get out, her eyes darting over her surroundings, the noises in the distance were growing louder, coming closer. Azu listened to her explanation and a part of her felt quite guilty, she hadn't ever judged Juniper for her past, and she had no plans of starting now. "Juniper, I realize that now is probably not the time for this... but I don't care about what you've done... You're my Juni. That won't change, just because you can hotwire or a car, or had an eclectic group of friends... or shitty dad." Azu spoke quickly, but honestly, something of a smile on her best, at least the best one could muster given the circumstances.

Azucena listened closely to what Juniper needed and nodded immediately grabbing her purse and fishing through for something that could be of use. "I don't have either of those things... but I can offer you coins in a variety of sizes and some cuticle scissors?" Retrieving what she needed, she handed the items to Juni in the hopes that it might at least help them in their quest. Azu could feel the hairs on the back of her neck rising as the flowing wall of debris still came toward them. There wasn't much time left before they would be overtaken by it and whatever hell was hidden in that cloud.

"Just make it quick, okay?" she requested, turning behind her just watching as the world ended, her brother was right after all. She probably should have paid more attention to the practical elements of the world. Then again. What world?
    You don't need a reason to help people.

Fantasy, Modern, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Juniper quickly emptied her purse contents on the floor and smiled as she grasped a nail file. Between this and the cuticle scissors, she would have to make due. Climbing into the car was easy, but reaching under the steering wheel was a struggle. Finally, Juniper was able to place her head against the cool leather seat and she quickly went to work trying to get this car started.

After sticking the nail file in the ignition and turning it to no avail she found a way to unsecured the panel under the steering wheel. The nail file could be used two-fold at this point since she didn’t have a screwdriver. Seeing the three bundles of wires she closed her eyes quickly visualizing her next step. Her fingers trace the first bundle. “Lights” This wasn’t the one she needed. The second would be for wipers and warmers, and finally, a smile fell on her face as she found the third bundle of wires. “Bingo, Battery and Ignition.”

The last few steps took a bit longer than Juniper would want but she smiled after connecting the wires. Juniper then quickly sat up and rammed the nail file into the ignition. Twisting the nail file took patience and prayer since the metal was so weak, but it did the trick and roared to life. Juniper slid to the passenger seat and smiled victoriously. “Azu, just be careful of the wires."

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What had only taken a few short minutes had felt like hours, as though time had been running in slow motion. Juni had started the car, and Azu had to admit it was impressive. Azu vaulted herself quickly over the door and into the driver's seat. Azu looked around and sighed, there was a time when she would have derived great joy from this. As the engine hummed, she reached the still glove hand over and triggered the roof switch, letting it close. "So remember when you asked if I could drive stick? And I said yes?" Azu asked in a somewhat hurried pace.

"Yeah well, it's been like eight years. So we'll see how this goes." Azucena actually let out a small laugh at this statement. It was true, though Azu held firm to the belief that surely this must be like riding a bike, one never really forgets. Looking out the rear view mirror, Azu slowly began to pull out of the parking spot and drove forward. As she increased the speed, the wall of dust and debris from the building collapsing behind them overtook the vehicle. Azu continued to speed up and hope for the best as their visibility was reduced to nearly nothing until they could escape the cloud.

As they finally pulled out and onto the clear street, it was immediately clear that whatever had happened behind them was far from an isolated incident. Cars on the street had erupted into flame, along with a host of other buildings. The sounds of screaming so loud now it felt like it was coming from within the car itself. People had returned, many running, injured, confused. "What in God's name is happening?" Azu slowed the car down, allowing them to watch everything as they had passed it. This pushed the limits of sanity.
    You don't need a reason to help people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123