Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Best Book You Read Last Year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Question: Best Book You Read Last Year?

I'm very curious about people's reading habits! Tell me, what was your favourite novel you read in this past year? Is it one you stumbled on accidentally, or was it recommended to you? Is it in your comfort genre or something you don't usually read? What did you enjoy about it?

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Clarification: You say novel, are we limited to fiction or do you really mean, just best book?
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Modern, SciFi, Combat, Cooperative, One on One
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Not really read per se but my friend recommended the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan to me. I have been listening on audio book, (The only way I would get through 15 novels in a reasonable time.) and it is fantastic! A super deep but accessible high fantasy universe. I would highly recommend to an avid reader or audio book enthusiast.
    The final battle,
    Pain, suffering; overcome,
    by the united.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hannelorian View Post
    Clarification: You say novel, are we limited to fiction or do you really mean, just best book?
    Best book! Doesn't have to be fiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Kach View Post
    Not really read per se but my friend recommended the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan to me. I have been listening on audio book, (The only way I would get through 15 novels in a reasonable time.) and it is fantastic! A super deep but accessible high fantasy universe. I would highly recommend to an avid reader or audio book enthusiast.
    I had Wheel of Time recommended to me ages ago and I never did read it! And by 'recommended', I mean 'someone spoke exceptionally highly of the series and it made me very interested because it's hard not to be intrigued by something that makes people so passionate'. I think I looked into it and the high fantasy aspect intimidated me, but that was a different me, far younger and more naïve haha I should look into it again. How far along are you in the series?

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Tough choice. I haven't read a ton of books this year, so it's a toss up between two. I tend to read a lot of true crime kinda stuff. That's just my jam. Both were recommended by a podcast that I listen to.

1. Starvation Heights by Gregg Olsen. It's the story of Linda Hazzard and her health clinic in the early 1900s, where essentially she promised everyone better health through starvation. Spoiler alert, it does not turn out great.

2. Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore. The name speaks for itself here, but tells the dark history of the women who worked for the US Radium Corporation painting watch dials with radium based paint (so it glows in the dark!). As one would have it, turns out it wasn't exactly safe. It tells their stories and the uphill battle for justice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's really intriguing. I haven't read much true crime but I've found myself gravitating toward visual media about it lately. Better health through starvation sounds like a strange cult doctrine, not gonna lie haha Did you stumble onto these books or did you go looking for them based on things you already knew?

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Definitely some culty elements about it, for sure. They were recommendations from the host of one of my favorite podcasts!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedBee View Post
    How far along are you in the series?
    I am almost done the third novel including the prequel, so almost 100hrs in at this point. 12 more to go! Full discloser, I am told it gets dark in the last "act".
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hannelorian View Post
    Definitely some culty elements about it, for sure. They were recommendations from the host of one of my favorite podcasts!
    Gotcha! True crime podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Kach View Post
    I am almost done the third novel including the prequel, so almost 100hrs in at this point. 12 more to go! Full discloser, I am told it gets dark in the last "act".
    Exciting! Is the series divided into 'acts' the way a novel usually is? As in, does 'dark in the last "act"' imply the last novels are the last arc?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedBee View Post
    Exciting! Is the series divided into 'acts' the way a novel usually is? As in, does 'dark in the last "act"' imply the last novels are the last arc?
    So far the novels themselves make decent self contained stories on their own, but they definitely have the parts of the series feel. Small plots in each novel as the series progresses, and that sweet character development.
    Without giving to much away, the series basically follows the run up to and prophesized battle between the light and the dark. So you could imagine, at what could be the end of the 'world' things get pretty heavy.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast