Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: all pilots!

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern, SciFi, Combat, Cooperative, One on One
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Default Wanted: all pilots!

Checking interest in a pilot/aviation based group RP. Been playing around with the idea for a while.

I would be aiming for at least weekly involvement for everyone involved. Combat would be against NPC's in an effort to get around balancing and rules glut.
    A wing of pilots using team work and creative thinking to overcome difficult obstacles.
    Based on a larger ship the wing has a couple NPC's that keep things running and add some flavor.

Universe-
    after some discussion, I have decided to make the universe as open as possible.
    So any race or craft configuration is up for grabs provided we maintain a relatively equal level of technology.

My Idea so far;
    James Ackerman a former soldier turned soldier of fortune, had gotten out while the getting was good, he was now sitting on a dubiously earned fortune and an early retirement, but sitting on a beach drinking all day lost its shine quickly after working to keep himself alive for the last two decades.
    Investing in a surplused frigate, he found a crew chief and mechanic, now he needed a crew. Sending feelers out through his old contacts he began his search for the best pilots in the verse.

I'm imagining something serialized in feel with the crew being able to choose from a few missions with verying difficulty and payout and pilots getting a 'cut' of the fee, minus damage and penalties. With some down time in between missions if players wanted to take advantage of it.

The structure would be more of a Managed (GM'ed) RP with myself driving the central plot and dispensing the setbacks.

Technology level guidelines
    As far as ships go, FTL travel is possible but not yet feasible for single pilot craft with frigate/freighter sized ships being the smallest generally equipped.

Craft and shuttles are dependent on larger ships for FTL travel in exterior docking cradles or internal hangers for long range transport.

Deflector type shields are in use on some single occupancy craft.
    They are a trade off for power significant core consumption limiting drive power and weapon recharge rates. While the shields are excellent for deflecting energy based bolts; other impacts like high speed debris, significant mass impacts, and high velocity kinetic projectiles at close range have enough energy to pierce it.
    To recover some engine performance shielded craft are generally lightly armored to reduce mass and require less power to the drives.
    Craft with deflectors can generally fly in atmo regardless of their layout because the deflector is configured in such a way to give limited aero-dynamics and maneuverability.

Unshielded craft
    To increase survivability, are more heavily armored and coated with refractive layers to reduce the likelihood of penetration by energy and kinetic projectiles and save the additional draw on power systems and to allow greater flexibility in engine and weapon power draw.
    Unshielded craft need to be laid out with airfoils, control surfaces and aero-dynamics in mind as they don't have the benefit of the shield to provide lift in atmo.

The most advanced weapon systems use concentrated lasers to melt holes through enemy ships hulls to damage critical systems or vent atmosphere. They require recharging as their hi output capacitors empty so are generally fired slowly or in bursts but can be deadly out to extreme range.
    Their largest draw back is that they can take a significant amount of hits to deplete and penetrate the shielding of targets with deflectors.

The old stand-by armament is kinetic projectile weapons that throw dense slugs via chemical reaction or magnetic acceleration. Few deflectors can take the punishment for long though they are significantly slower and can only be used effectively at close range. Because they are throwing material mechanically they are capable of rapid rates of fire but are limited by the amount of ammunition they can carry.

Missiles are common and and excellent payload especially for attacking larger class vessels. Guided or dumb, their biggest downside is cost and vulnerability to laser hits.

Most single craft require sealed, pressure and temperature controlled suits as they offer the greatest likelihood of not being penetrated though some have pressurized crew compartments.

Single pilot craft fall into one or more of the following 4 categories.
    Interceptor, Fighter, Bomber, Support

Interceptor (+4 maneuverability single role) (+2 maneuverability dual role)
    designed specifically for the defensive interception role against attacking enemy bombers, reconnaissance aircraft and ordinance as well as light recon these craft use speed as their primary defense and offense. Generally lightly armored and moderately armed they strike quickly and can out pace most other craft.

Fighter (+4 split among any number of attributes single role) (+2 split among any number of attributes dual role)
    Establish air superiority of the battlespace. Domination of the airspace permits bombers and attack aircraft to engage in tactical and strategic bombing of enemy targets. These versatile platforms sometimes lean into other battlefield roles like interceptor or bomber to increase their utility.

Bomber (+2 armor, +2 Armament single role) (+1 armor, +1 Armament dual role)
    these heavy craft are designed to attack ground and naval targets by dropping air-to-ground weaponry, or deploying missiles. Generally well armored and heavily laden with hard points and payload these craft hit way above their weight class and are a real hazard to large vessels without interceptor and fighter support.

Support (+4 split among any number of attributes single role) (+2 split among any number of attributes dual role)
    These specialized units very in rolls from recon scouts, to radar and missile jammers, gunships, repair/rearmament craft and transports; and support a variety of hardware packages for multiple missions profiles.

Intensity- Moderate
    I would take that as characters can be seriously injured but not outright killed in all but the most extreme circumstances and their actions could affect other players to the point of setting them back as well, but generally to a lesser extent than themselves.

Let me know your thoughts and if you would be interested and able to commit to a few months of rp.

Spoiler: Character sheet MK1 

Spoiler: Craft stats and how they work 
    Last edited by Kach; 11-28-2021 at 05:27 PM.
    The final battle,
    Pain, suffering; overcome,
    by the united.

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

I'd be down for this. I think the plot might be better suited to non-Star Wars (as big a Star Wars nerd as I am). Hell it could be set in our galaxy in the future so we can still have alien races and humans as options. It would also allow different tech and design choices. And I think a moderate intensity might be good.

Thank you to Alice for making my sig and avi <3

Spoiler:  

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Pleasantly surprised by the quick response.

I'd be down for this. I think the plot might be better suited to non-Star Wars
    On consideration, you might be right. For that matter I do want to get away from the classical handling of the starships as seen in starwars and go to a more realistic one.

We could do an open universe honestly, as long as no particular ship or race is significantly more advanced than the others or game breaking. I am considering doing a basic build guide for ships so everyone has a similar mechanics reference point.

I just need to learn the spoiler shortcut again...
    The final battle,
    by the united.

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

I believe the code is [.spoiler][./spoiler] just without the .

So like the ME universe circa ME2 type tech similarities?

Spoiler:  

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Xalian View Post

So like the ME universe circa ME2 type tech similarities?
    Do you mean tech level?
    The final battle,
    by the united.

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes and how similar the main races are tech wise Like none of them really have an advantage over the others in terms of tech (discounting the Reapers). They all use the same basic weapon and armour platforms, they have comparable ships. They have their own uniqueness still though, like Asari with their biotic commandos for example.

Spoiler:  

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Xalian View Post
    Yes and how similar the main races are tech wise Like none of them really have an advantage over the others in terms of tech (discounting the Reapers). They all use the same basic weapon and armour platforms, they have comparable ships. They have their own uniqueness still though, like Asari with their biotic commandos for example.
    Exactly!
    The final battle,
    by the united.

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Okay I thought for a moment I was rambling and you wouldn't get what I was saying

So anything else we need to work out?

Spoiler:  

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Character and ship sheets I think. And finding some more peeps.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Oh that latter one is hella important

Spoiler:  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast