Page 31 of 96 FirstFirst ... 293031323381 ... LastLast

Thread: The Appalling Strangeness of the Mercy of God [M - Hannelorian x DuchessLivilla]

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The moment the King left her side, the ladies of court rushed in. No one wanted the Duchess to have a moment alone, a moment of peace. Heaven forbid she should do something foolish like plan an escape. Or simply think. What use would it be to have a mere woman put thought into anything beyond the running of the house and children? But to the credit of the Duchess, she understood her role and smiled and chatted, she push her heart break down until she had hidden it away enough so that she might cope, so that she might perform and shine.

The Prince all the while had arrived at Windsor, his heart heavy at leaving his beloved behind. Though the Prince did not enter through the front door as it were, instead he had the carriage stopped early, and with his niece in hand he carried her the rest of the way to enter through the shadows into the world of the servants halls. Among them he felt comfortable, there was no pretention. When he would first do this as a teenager, the servants would clamor and race to bow or curtsy. Now there were head nods, shallow curtsies. The servants, most of whom had been working for years understood that he wished to simply go unnoticed by and large, it was only above stairs that the highest order of manners would apply.
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Historical 1x1, Sci-fi, Horror, AU
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Christian had returned to his main study and seated himself behind his grand, gold inlaid desk. He steepled his fingers and smirked to himself. Today really had been a triumph. It could not have gone better, aside from perhaps if the accidental death had been his meddling daughter-in-law, but that could be done at any time. Besides, she was only a woman.

What could a woman do against him?

He leant over and picked up a sheaf of papers, leafing through them with a smile. His craftsmen had been hard at work in designing all manner of things for his beloved coronation, as well as the wedding. These were to include her regalia; he had thought to use the prescribed items for a Queen Consort, handed down from Queen to Queen but these, he felt, had been sullied by the use of his previous wife.

No.

His beloved, his real and true wife, and Queen, should have the best. Something new, made only for her. It would be expensive but he had already spoken to parliament about endorsing a new tax. All his people should contribute to his and his bride's happiness, was that not what they were there for?

He was also having a new state-coach designed and built; having little care for history, he was even -sacrilegious as it was- removing gems, adnorments and such from existing jewels and items to make his own. It was as if the King wished to rewrite history, in order to make a world that was just as he wished it to be. Christian had, unbeknownst to all but his most trusted supporters, ordered several chapels in the poorer areas of the city of London to be stripped of their adornments and gold in order to supplement his ideas.

The fact that he was stealing from churches did not appear to concern him though.

He set these papers down and picked up a letter he had received that morning when he was away. The King broke the seal and read it, his smile growing as he did so.

"Your Majesty,

It would be our great pleasure to receive the infant into our care. We are well versed in such matters and all due care shall be given the child. She will be raised in ignorance of her parentage and, upon her reaching maturity, can join our order. It shall be as if she was never born; she may live her life in service to our Lord. Praise be.

Your Most Humble and Loyal Servant,

Mary Constance, Mother Superior of Our Lady Of Eternal Redemption

"Perfect," Christian said aloud, grinning. It was an elegant solution. The child could be dealt with, and if the plot ever came to light, he could paint it that her mother, sainted and devout, wished to gift her child to the Lord, to save her from the sinful nature of society. Besides, soon enough his beloved Bella would be with child once more, and would soon forget about other one.

There had only been such a delay in conceiving because God, he knew, wished her to remain pure for him. It was really a charitable thing to do now, returning the child to him...if not fully. Still, if needs must...Children died all the time. If she were to die when in the care of the good sisters, well, that would not be his fault.

God only blessed the most worthy, which he, of course, was. He had been unlucky in wives in the past but not this time. His beloved would conceive on their wedding night; only the most worthy had such a gift. His new wife would be one of those blessed women.

Within nine months, she would give him a son, a new heir, untainted and pure. Born of love. Real and true love.

Arthur would be disinherited and all would be well.

He chuckled. "He has no hope of issue from that spiteful harlot anyway. God would never bless her with children. She may have the looks of a sow, but she has none of the breeding of one. I must ask him next time I see him why his wife is not yet with child. He need to know he is being punished for his sins with such a barren, unhealthy creature in his bed."

-

The King would have been content to spend his afternoon making plans and imagining his new life, but he was rudely interrupted an hour or so later by a servant knocking on the door. Christian glared and looked up, "Yes?" He barked. He sat back in his gilded chair and watched as a footman entered and bowed.

"Oh, it's you, Black. What is it, lad?"

"Majesty, His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales has arrived and is with Her Grace."

Christian frowned, his mind immediately leaping to various conclusions. Was he plotting? Why had he gone to Bella, and not come to him first? It was the height of rudeness! That harlot was a bad influence, clearly. Speaking of...

"Is he alone? Or has his wife come?"

"No, Sire. The Prince is alone. His carriage empty, also."

"Thank heavens' for small mercies," the King muttered as he rose. "Get out, Black. I will go and see my wife."

The servant scurried off and was gone by the time the King reached the door to the corridor. Christian marched off towards Bella's rooms, his mind turning over this visit. He did not trust his son, not since his marriage...This was most irregular. He must make sure and have it that guard's were placed at Bella's door, to ensure she was not exposed to any unsavoury element without eyes and ears knowing all.

Her letters too...They should be checked...Especially those coming from that sow of a sister.
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The doors to Arabella's chambers swung open after a gentle knock. The kind of knock that announced a presence but without being threatening. It was most like Arthur. When the heavy set doors opened, all of the assembled women in their court finery turned and immediately fell into curtsy, as did the Duchess. "Your Royal Highness." Arabella called first, with the other women following in suit. Already they had given in, no, perhaps that was too strong a sentiment. Already they had allowed the Duchess to take on her new role, to speak first, for them to follow. "Please, come in." Arabella spoke kindly her eyes noted her daughter, but in present company she made no attempt to look at her.

Arthur bowed his head, babe in hand as entered the room. "Ladies, your Grace." He bore his signature smile, showing just enough of his white teeth, a rarity for their age, to be charming. The Duchess looked around her and forced a smile as she extended her arm outward and toward the door. "Leave us." Was her simple command, and the women looked at one another before nodding, they hurried toward the door. "

Lucy who had been busying herself with arranging the Duchess' things, and hiding others, began to make her egress as well. Lucy had arrived with His Majesty and the Duchess' permitted belongings. "Not you Lucy. Rules are rules." Of course, Arabella eluded to the fact that under no circumstances is a woman allowed to remain in a room with a man that is not her husband. Though of course, Lucy now being her last vestige of her own self-chosen staff was something of a friend. The Duchess wanted the girl to remain.

As the last of the women left, the doors sealed behind them. Arabella ran the short distance to Arthur and scooped her daughter into her arms. "Your Highness... I can't... thank you enough." The Duchess pressed her lips to Beatrix's head and inhaled, there was something so ethereal and magical about the scent of new born baby, only a week or so old. "Please, call me Arthur." The Prince spoke softly and just watched the mother and daughter. It reminded him that in just a few months he would be watching his own dear heart hold their child close. "After all, you are going to be my new mother." Arthur laughed and Arabella smiled, a small chuckle as well.

"Where is Alex?" The Duchess asked, periodically looking up from Beatrix, her eyes once so cold, now shimmering with life cast upon her brother in law. "Ah." Arthur began pacing in a rather small yet measured line across the floor, the ornate rug beneath his feet silencing his footfalls. "She wanted to be here, to be with you. But here is not the safest place." Arabella felt her heart sink just a little in her chest. "Of course not. I understand. It's best she hold off until the..." Arabella did not want to complete the sentence with words like wedding or coronation. "You know, in London next week. That quaint little chapel." Another joke. There was a time, particularly as a girl where the thought of marriage in Westminster Abbey would have been the greatest honor. Now it served as the first stop on her prison sentence.

"Close to home." Arabella added. Arthur nodded in agreement and sighed. "Alex would do anything for you." He spoke flatly but genuinely. "Every painting you loved, every piece of Richard you would have, she's having Alice and the servants take them all and send them home to ours for safe keeping." Arabella swallowed and looked down at the floor as though in shame. "She... um... She will never know how grateful I am." It was an odd thing for the Duchess to struggle so for words.

"Lucy." Arabella beckoned and when the young creature appeared she handed her Beatrix. "Unfortunately, there is no safety here. Word of your arrival and your location is surely its way to the King. Odd isn't it? To protect my own Beatrix I have to pretend she isn't even in the room when your father comes bursting through those doors."

"Then we must make this quick. First, a message from Alex. She loves you. She's happy and your blessed to have found such a husband." Arthur knew what Alex had meant the moment she said it, and he tried his hardest to convey the exact tone and sincerity through which his beloved had taken the care to relay it. He could not do her justice, though she would be just as happy that he had tried.

"I love her the same. Second?" Arabella asked having taken note of the first. "You are the only one who can influence him now. You have to protect Alex, and you have to try to protect our child." Arabella knew she would be more successful with her sister's fortunes than her own. Right now, at least in this moment the King was eager to please. "I'll do what I can. Oh, and if I say something unkind... when he gets here. I don't mean it. But for now, I have to play his game." Arabella rested a hand on Arthur's shoulder, and for the first time she wrapped her arms around him and squeezed him gently, a genuine hug, her gratitude to her family, she made it quick and stepped back resting relieved that the doors hadn't opened just then.
    Last edited by Hannelorian; 09-26-2022 at 07:53 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

King Christian marched into his bride's apartments, without the kindly meant knock his son had given, and surveyed the scene before him. His bride and his on engaged in, seemingly, banal conversation. He heard the word coronation and beamed. Ah, they spoke of the happy day!

He was so smug, his paranoia melted away briefly. "Son Arthur," he said, strolling over, "Do try not to get my wife so excited for the coronation! I should hate to disappoint my beloved one," he took Bella's hand and squeezed it; too tightly to be pleasurable for her. It was clear this was a man who was not used to gentle touches. He had been too long without a wife, and mistresses did not need to be so cherished.

He then took in Arthur's appearance and shook his head. "You might have washed and changed before presenting yourself to your future Queen. It is not seemly to appear in a Lady's chamber so stained!"

That was rich! This coming from the man who had burst into a Lady's chamber when she was in childbed! A far greater thing of unseemliness than the minor staining on Arthur, who had, after all, got such stains in being a comfort to a dying man!

"You must forgive him, my love," Christian said, "I fear it is your sister's influence. Any wife worth her merit would have ensured her husband was not going about in such a manner. Clearly the Princess cannot run a household if such things occur. Speaking of such," he looked at his son, cruel delight in his eyes as he had his revenge for Arthur's earlier insult, or so he hoped anyway, "Is there no sign your wife is with child yet? I told you, son, when you wished to marry her. She is unhealthy and unfit for such a task. God shall never grant her issue...You would do well to realise that now and send her away."

He gestured to his own, soon-to-be, wife, "Even her own sister has said such against her for so many years. If her own family thinks it, you cannot blame me for being concerned. It is, after all, a state issue until my own beloved has issue...which, praise be, I am sure shall be not nine months after our marriage. Only the most blessed are gifted such, and of course, she, and myself, must be so."
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"Your Majesty!" Arabella was not startled in the slightest. A piece of her soul seemed to be waiting on edge for this very moment. The second she heard the doors she instantly forced a beaming smile to spread across her lips. It was all in the blink of an eye that Christian was beside her and squeezed her hand to the point of absolute pain, though her face showed no change in expression. Physical pain, if she were to honest was a relief, a pleasant distraction from her most pained emotional state. It had all been growing quickly, the loss of her beloved husband, the loss of her own future. Even the brightest light that was her darling Beatrix could not completely lift her from the pit of despair.

"Darling. I'm so glad you've come." Arabella spoke softly, in the way that a lady was expected to, dare she say anything at all. The Duchess swung herself to stand before Christian. The way the Duchess moved, the motion of her hips exaggerated to ensure that the skirt of her dress made something of a flourish, beauty without effort. "I want to be excited, if you'll permit me." Arabella never had to ask Richard's permission, even at the height of their zealotry. Richard trusted her, he loved her for her. "There could be no disappointment. God has given me the greatest gift, for there is no greater husband." The Duchess smiled and looked up at the King, for a moment, she had realized he was handsome, but that mattered little, his inner demons made him undesirable. Turning to position herself at his side, the Duchess wrapped one of her arms tightly about his, pulling herself as close as possible.

When the King first made mention of Alexandra and the child, her heart once again sank, her eyes made contact with Arthur's immediately, she stood far enough back for the King not to notice. The Duchess shook her head. It was imperative that Arthur understood and said nothing. Alexandra had to be kept safe, and the longer the King did not know of her pregnancy the better. Even if it meant enduring the King's insults.

"Forgive me, father. It was with great haste that I arrived to wish Her Grace well." Arthur made no mention of returning her child, and Lucy, god bless her had disappeared with the child into the Duchess' private sitting room. "We are family and I simply wanted to ensure our future Queen knew she had our support. We will contribute whatever we can toward this most joyous occasion."

Arthur clenched his fists tightly as his father spoke of his beloved wife, and his lack of children. He wanted desperately to say something but understood he could not. He caught Arabella's signal, and knew she was right. His father might endanger Alexandra in some way, sabotage the pregnancy if felt the hint of a threat to his reign, his vision for the future.

"No. Alexandra is not yet with child..." Arthur sighed and looked down. "Even so, I would never send her away. I love Alexandra, as you love Her Grace." Arthur did not agree with that statement, as he genuinely loved his wife. What he wished to say was the way Arabella and Richard loved one another. Flawed as they were, none could doubt their devotion. "You must forgive me, I need to return home. I won't very well produce an heir from here." Arthur rolled his eyes.

"Of course, Your Highness." Arabella bowed her head and turned to look up to her future husband. "There's nothing to forgive. As you well say, I shall be pregnant at once. You needn't spend your time concerning yourself with such. I beg you, let them alone and..." The Duchess rose her entire frame, standing on the balls of her feet to whisper something into the King's ear. Something suggestive, forcing his attention off of Arthur and Alexandra and entirely onto her. The more he focused on her, the less he would ever worry about what they were up to. The defense of her family was paramount. "I know it unbecoming to ask for such affections... but when all I can think of is you, my beloved. You have no idea how long I've waited for this."

Arthur was contorting inwardly, he felt himself becoming deeply uncomfortable, but he recognized what was happening. Arabella was playing her part in defending her sister in the only way she could. "Ever since I met you at court... I regretted... I had been married off before the Queen had... well... perished. All I ever wanted was you." Arabella felt sicker than she had even in the darkest hour of her pregnancy. There was nothing that reviled her more. "Let him go. Return to his wife, and let us return to planning." There was a begging tone in her voice, as though somewhere she deeply meant it. She did not.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The King smirked and inclined his head towards hers as she spoke, his eyes glittering. His lips curled in a delighted yet unsettling smile. "Mmm, yes," he replied, nodding. "You speak truth, my dear heart." He patted her hand. "Arthur, you may return home. We shall see you at the wedding. You need not come before then."

He watched his son bow and depart then smirked and pulled Bella to him, his hands about her waist. "Ah, my love...I can see why Richard cherished you. You need not have hidden. I would have taken you as my mistress long before you were widowed, had you only come to me! Still..." his hand slid upwards, "We need not wait for our marriage...if you are so eager..."

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The Prince left swallowing hard as he did so, not wanting to think too hard on what now happened on the other side of the doors. Arthur would, however, find that upon reaching into his pockets was a small note, placed by the Duchess. The Prince simply removed his hand giving no further inclination he was aware that it existed. If he had been seen, it would have been taken. The note would read:

A,

I have a plan for B. Will need your help.

Always,
    A

The Prince would do nothing before presenting this small sliver of paper to his beloved.

The Duchess, finding herself in the company of the King, more or less alone, as to the King the baby and the maid did not truly count as people. "I could never do such a thing to my husband." Arabella confessed, she would never have been a mistress. No, mistresses were undignified, they were not wives. They were not cared for once discarded. "I would never do such a thing to my true husband." She spoke the word true, as though that negated her former marriage in the eyes of the King.

The Duchess worked hard to guarantee she did not recoil as his hand slid up her body. Though she understood that soon enough, all of this would belong to him. "My love..." Arabella began, she raised her hands and delicately removed the white silk gloves to rest her bare hands on his chest. This is not what women did. "I want nothing more than to be one with you, and bring you the heir you deserve. The heir you always deserved." Arabella smiled, raising one hand to cup his cheek. "I don't dare anger God now. Not after he has finally given me everything I ever wanted. I'll take no risk so long as it means you will get as you are owed." Yes, she gave him her body now, God could get angry and punish him by not granting him a son. This seemed like a decent argument.

"Besides, it's only a few days more, after what feels like a lifetime of waiting. You'll make love to a Queen, your Queen, your most humble of servants, your most loyal of subjects. The mother of your future children. Surely, you would do me the honor?"

Arabella did not stumble, she did not stutter, she knew every single word she had to say, she had to make him feel powerful, make him feel that for the Duchess, there was no other world - there was only Christian.

The week would go quickly.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Christian grinned and gripped her waist tighter; for a second it looked, given his expression, that he would go against all this and take her anyway. The seconds ticked by as the King appeared to be wrestling with two ideals...getting his pleasure now, staking his claim, or delaying his pleasure to heighten the delights and please God...

Naturally, the wait was a terrifying one for Arabella!

Finally though, patience won. He released her and smirked. "You are right, of course, as ever...What is a few more days? I have waited much, I can wait a little longer. Ah, that reminds me...You must be candid with Doctor Bute; tell him all he needs to know about your...courses," he waved a hand, a brief look of unease coming over his face at the mention of such things. Still, needs must if she was to give him what he wanted.

A new heir. Free of corruption, born to a beloved wife he had chosen.

"I shall have him come and visit you today so you might tell him all he needs to know. I should hate to have to move the wedding date, but I shall if you shall be...indisposed, on the date. I wish to waste no time in getting our little heir, my love, so if we must wait for the perfect time, we shall."

He cupped her cheek and smiled. Had any other man done it, it would have been comforting, loving, gentle and all that was good. From Christian, to Bella, it seemed possessive and almost cruel in the way he stared at her. "You and I are both young, my darling. You have already given birth to a daughter...with God's grace, boys, for us, shall follow."

Again...from any other man, this would have been a mere comment.

From the King it was less a comfort of the future and more a demand.

Still, in a way, Arabella was in the stronger position, even after her marriage. She had the love of society, men and women, who viewed her as a paragon of their narrow world. With a crown and Royal husband, that was unlikely to change. She had, for years, been a loyal and faithful wife, and now was doing her duty to her King. She had also had a child, a girl, sadly, yes, but still, a living breathing child. Not a sure thing nowadays!

Unlike her new husband, she did not need a son, not while she had his love and affection, in any case. The King needed a son. If he died tomorrow, Arthur would be King and the man already had an inkling that his son would begin to tear down all he had made and re-shape it, something he could not abide.

It was rather like the situation his ancestress, Queen Mary -Mary Tudor as was- found herself in concerning her sister Elizabeth. Staunchly Catholic Mary needed a child, preferably a male but a girl would do, of her body to be her Catholic heir; to carry on the reformation and secure all her hard work. For Mary, all her attempts ended in phantom pregnancies and she died, childless and bitter at her failure. Elizabeth had succeeded her and, just as Mary feared, done away with all her work.

Christian would not, could not, allow the same to happen to him and his realm. And so, for now, Bella had power and security. He loved her, he needed her, and her womb, to save his ideas.

It was up to Bella to use this power and security to her best advantage, for herself, her child, and her sister, while said sister and brother-in-law, worked to win the commons to them.

-

While her husband was gone, Alexandra had ensured that any and all items that her sister might wish to keep and cherish, were packed up and sent on to Marlborough. Luckily, the Prince of Wales residence was larger than the Duke's and so there would be no issue of finding space to store the numerous boxes of books -kept because Richard had, with his own hand, signed the fronts and often made comments- the portraits, cameos, letters, notes, little gifts, ornaments -that Alex knew Richard have given her sister- and any little bill and coo trinket. She assumed that it would be better to take too much, than leave behind something Arabella would miss.

Anything that she did not wish to keep, could be given away or sold later, but for now...more was better than less. She wondered if Bella would like them to make a museum for her, as they had done for their own romance. Both Alex and Arthur were, their own love aside, romantics at heart, and had very quickly -perhaps it was the idea that sparked when she gave her husband the book of letters- given over one of the libraries in the palace to a room dedicated to themselves.

The long room, with arched windows on one side that got the mid-afternoon sun, contained not just their letters; each one carefully pasted into books to be saved, but also more intimate portraits that were not on public display. Nothing obscene, of course! The entire thing was very innocent, but merely portraits that were done for themselves, not for show. Ones where Arthur could place his hand upon his wife's bare shoulder; the gowns that were the height of fashion everywhere but court, were for bare shoulders, the sleeves beginning just off the shoulder instead of draw up to the collarbone. Or a painting where they stood in each other's arms.

It was hoped, by both of them, that decades later, they could come here and have all their memories together in one place.

Naturally, such a room, and such a romance between husband and wife -a rarity!- caused much talk among the servants. The young maid's, especially, treated the Prince and Princess as their very own penny romance paper made flesh. They found it all so romantic and would jealously guard the right to be the one to dust the museum, in order to get their little dose of romantic amusement.

Much talk was also given to the fact that the young Royal couple gave every impression of actually enjoying each other's company! And not just in public when they had to seem to. They would go for long walks together, hand in hand, in the gardens, smiling and talking for hours. They would go riding in the great park, often with Alexandra riding pillion behind her husband, her arms around him.

When they attended the ballet or opera, as they did perhaps two or three nights a week, as well as concerts of classics music and plays, the genuine and real affection, and love, between them was clear to even the most cold-hearted lord or lady. Much of this, of course, was viewed as a failing. Love and passion was not something to be publicly displayed! Not with one's wife, anyway. A man had mistresses for that type of thing. A wife was an ornament and for children.

One society lady was overheard to have said at the Opera, a week or so before Richard's death, that "I do believe she is in love with him."

And her husband, equally disapproving, had replied, much to the amusement of their fellows, "With her own husband? Ghastly. What a selfish woman."

Ironically, for such a prudish society, there would have been less talk had Arthur been going about with an 'actress' or ballerina! That the man appeared to be utterly devoted to his wife, was viewed of as some kind of unhealthy sin. It was rather lumped in with the age of call of elders everywhere that "This generation are -insert cruel remark here-" type of idea.

Change was to be feared. And the Prince and Princess represented a fairly large change!

Not that this created much concern for either party. They both knew society looked to the King and took their lead from him. The couple would be damned if they did or damned if they did not.

And Alexandra, in this matter with her sister, did not care what anyone thought. She pointedly ignored the confused looks from the servants that she knew had shifted their loyalties to the King, and instead worked with those she trusted. The others she left to pack up her and Arthur's belongings. She and Alice, along with her own junior maids, went from room to room, picking what should be sent.

It was a rather strange business really and brought back a lot of memories of when she first came here after her parents died. Bella had soon stamped her authority onto the place and Alexandra had always felt such a stranger, even in her own room, which, only after some years, had she been allowed to choose anything in the way of decor...and that was minor.

Now it was being emptied from within and would likely be torn down. She had few happy memories of the place, that was true, but this was her sister's realm and it meant the world to her. And, it was also were Alex had met the Prince and began her happiness...that alone meant she wished it to be saved.

"Oh, Alice," she said softly, shaking her head. "This is wrong. It's so wrong..."

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The Duchess leaned into the discomfort, and leaned into her husband-to-be, he could have taken her at this moment but he refrained. Ultimately, Arabella did not count this as some measure of grace, or decency. It mattered not the reason why he choose to wait, for in the end, she would be his anyway. The moment of her suffering was now, and it would be then, regardless of what he would do with her, to her. It all felt the same, miserable. To hear herself play the game was a shame greater than any she had felt but she would continue.

"We shouldn't speak of the child." Arabella shook her head, again to create as much distance between her and the child would at least go to the message that her daughter did not need to be killed. She could live without her daughter, barely, if at least she knew her daughter had survived and was out there in the world. In fact, she would move closer to this with her own plans. "My first child will be a son, it will be your heir. The Doctor will have my full cooperation without question. God put him here to aide us, and I will heed that advice. I would do anything for my King, I would do double that for my husband." Arabella was self assured in her words, the smile she bore was broad, her skin was pale, but almost glowing, glinting in the light as she gazed up at the man she would marry.

Holding him closer she would go so far as to rest her chin upon his chest. Her breaths were deep, the rhythm of her heart slowed, she did her best to exude confidence and comfort. "I pray for no delay. In fact, I should be at my most fertile..." Arabella then stopped, but she knew it was true, she knew her own cycles but nothing would stop her from this moment, from this fate. She had to save her daughter, even if she killed herself to do so. "None of that. Forgive me. Shall we join the council to finish the arrangements? Or am I best serving you else where?"

--

"I don't know if it's wrong... well... this part anyway." Alice remarked as she stood just behind the Princess, taking view of the palatial estate that once belonged to her mistress. "It's just a building, and these... are just things." Alice thought of her words for a moment, trying her best not to be insensitive. "Her Grace's memories do not live within these walls, but rather they live within her heart and mind. No matter what the King does, he can never rob her of that. Nor could he rob you."

Alice moved to rest a hand the Princess' shoulder. "Yes, it will bring her great sadness now, but that too will fade. I don't think the pain of losing this place, outweighs the pain of losing the Duke. But, as you once moved on from losing your childhood home, so too will Her Grace. Pain is temporary." Alice had something of a transformation over the many months, she felt less and less a maid, and more and more a friend. Though she too, had realized that she was not merely contented with her life of service. It could and should be said that she held a deep love for the Princess, in her own way, respect for the Duchess... but was this all? Alice watched the Duchess in love, and now in loss, just as she watched the Princess and Arthur fall madly for one another, exuding happiness without question. Would she ever love like that? Would she ever be allowed to love?

"Your Highness, we must return now. The Prince will be back shortly, and we want to make sure Beatrix made it safely back to her mother." Alice sighed and cast her gaze one last time across the front of the estate. "It's time to say goodbye." Alice remarked feeling a twinge of sadness.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra sighed. "I know...rationally, I know you are right but still. Our homes have a life of their own, in a way. It should break my heart if we lost Marlborough, not for itself, though it is lovely, but because I see it as the physical link for myself and Arthur. A temple almost, to our love..." she blushed and touched her hair in a shy gesture. "I am becoming a silly fool, I fear. Let us go, Alice. We have all we can, and myself and Arthur's can be sent on when they are finished. I would rather secure Bella's past first."

She turned away and departed the manor, possibly for the last time. She climbed into the carriage and sat down, then took Alice's hand when her maid joined her. She smiled. "Let us speak of more pleasant things. I thought perhaps...when mourning is over, we might hold a ball at home. It could be the first function we hold at our own home. And..." she laughed softly, "I thought...I could see, if you agree of course, about finding a suitor for you. I value you as a friend and all you do for me, but you have too keen a mind and wit to be just a maid. You deserve all the happiness I myself have found, if not more so."

-

Christian smiled and kissed her forehead. "Ah, my love, you need not concern yourself with the council and such nonsense. It is not for ladies. You can remain here and settle in. Go for a walk in the gardens perhaps? I do believe the seamstresses will be arriving tomorrow to see about your wedding gown, and one for your coronation also so get some rest too."

He patted her hand, as one would a child. "I shall see you at dinner."

Placated, the King, beaming, took his leave. After he closed the door, he said to the guard's outside, "I wish to know where Her Grace goes, with whom, and all she does. Any letters are to come to me first."

The two men bowed. "As you say, Your Majesty."

He smirked and strolled off.
    Last edited by DuchessLivilla; 09-29-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Page 31 of 96 FirstFirst ... 293031323381 ... LastLast