Page 42 of 96 FirstFirst ... 404142434492 ... LastLast

Thread: The Appalling Strangeness of the Mercy of God [M - Hannelorian x DuchessLivilla]

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"You are a kind soul." Arthur remarked almost in passing. The reality was that the depths of her kindness and compassion were unfathomable. After enduring what she had, it might as well have been a miracle she was able to make amends with her sister. It seemed impossible that the couple could know everything about one another, perhaps they did. Perhaps they did not. But what's more is they didn't need to. The connection between the pair was almost spiritual. Something that no one else need understand.

"As for Alice, that would be a marvelous entrance. Everyone will notice you. The surprise behind the Queen and a mere Prince." Arthur smiled gently. He generally aimed to display his warmth to almost everyone, save his father on occasion. When Alice looked at the Royal couple, she saw what she had only seen once before, between Arabella and Richard. Love seemed like a wonderful thing, but in a world as big as theirs and with so many rules, how could she know if she'd ever find it? Alexandra and Arthur were completely enrapt in one another, not to the exclusion of all others, not at all. Perhaps simply settling for safety and position was the best option.

Alice had lucked herself into the service of the aristocracy. A last minute replacement, just a body needed to act as a maid in the house of a particularly dull Viscount and his ilk. It wasn't a particularly glamorous job, she supposed not many truly were. But when a Duchess, whose personal maid had so suddenly and unpredictably taken her own life, calls were made, strings were pulled and servants were stolen away. The needs of those higher up on the food chain were taken above all else. Alice's only understand of the nobility was from her time amongst the few houses.

It wasn't at all what she had imagined as a little girl, growing up on stories of Princes and Princesses, Dukes and Duchesses. It was all just an image, a front, a life they wanted you to see, not the life they truly led. Most were vain, cruel, selfish beyond compare. The Princess and husband being the natural exception. Did she really want to walk among them? As one of them? Would it change her? Of course it hadn't changed Alexandra at all, so hope seemed to remain.

"Come now, we mustn't keep mother waiting." Arthur smiled brightly and held out his arm for Alex, as he always had done, even on a short walk to the drawing room in which the Queen would undoubtedly be waiting. And waiting she was, in her stunning gown and finery, tiara perfectly placed. She stood, for the first time alone since the moment she was married and crowned, barring the few moments she had walking along corridors. It was the smallest of moments, but offered the greatest respite now.
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Historical 1x1, Sci-fi, Horror, AU
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

In perfect sync, as if practiced for though in truth it was natural, both husband and wife made their bow and curtsy to the Queen as they entered the drawing room. Alex, for herself, was glad to find that her sister was not surrounded by her flock of simpering hens; the ladies having, most likely, been told to mingle in the assembling crowds outwith.

Alexandra smiled and, as they were alone, came closer, "Sister, you look beautiful." She took Bella's hand and squeezed it gently. "Speaking of," she added, smiling mischievously, "Might I introduce Miss Alice, as you have never seen her?"

The Princess gestured to her maid proudly. "Is she not the most pretty creature you ever saw? The gown you chose is perfect, not that I ever doubted you would be wrong. You always had the best taste."
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"Alex..." Arabella's eyes seemed to lighten as soon as her sister and company entered the room. As her hands were clasped, she too squeezed upon Alex's. Arabella was for a moment taken aback by the bold choice of attire. Red. Not a color appreciated by many, for too many years deemed to be the colour of the harlot. But no, only could Alexandra pull off red like this. Before she could say anything at all, Alice was presented.

"Oh Alice." Arabella uttered, raising her glove hands to her mouth as though in terrible shock. "You look marvelous." Alice who at this exact moment was looking down attempting to hide her blushing as she curtsied. "Truly fantastic." Laying her hands on the girl's shoulders Arabella beamed brightly. "I do believe you look better than either my sister or myself could in this dress." It was true, Arabella at least sometimes had learned the value of honesty. It would never be something she would have chosen for her sister, but the style was very similar to her own tastes. "Richard would be positively giddy if he could see you in those jewels... You do me so proud."

"Your Majesty is too kind... please, know that my gratitude runs deep." Alice eeked out a perhaps awkward sentence, in a moment it was like she forgot how to be a person, losing herself in the praise of the Queen and the Princess. "It is truly an honor."

"It's the least I can do. You've been so good to Alexandra, you deserve something nice." Arabella raised a hand to cup her chin for a moment in thought. "If he doesn't fall in love with you at first sight, there is no hope for him. But if he does. You shall have to let me gift you first tiara, for the wedding. You'll need one." Arabella lowered her hands to her sides and turned her attention back to Alexandra. "Don't you look quite splendid as well? You must forgive me. I was so taken with dear Alice. Let me guess, Arthur, the red is for you?"

The Queen turned her attention to the Prince for a moment and he looked back at her, smiling almost giddily. "It's her colour. Is it not?" He spoke rather straight forwardly. "Yes, I should think it is." Arabella laughed, actually laughed. Not because there was anything particularly funny, but because it was nice to see once again how well he treated his wife, her own flesh and blood.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra blushed prettily and smoothed her skirts as she was, in turn after Alice, looked over. "I should not dared to have worn red had it not been my dear husband's favourite," she replied, smiling shyly. "I know, technically, I can wear any colour I chose now, as Princess of Wales, even Royal purple to events such as these...but I also know that red is not thought suitable by much of society. Still," she laughed, "I am not well thought of in any case, I could follow convention to the letter and still be damned, so I may as well wear a colour I like and that pleases my husband."

There was a large part of her, perhaps the rebellious side of her nature, that was mildly toying with the idea of having every gown she wore from now on in public be red...Just to double down, as it were, on the issue. As she said, she was already thought of badly by most, why not carry on?

Besides, Arthur's will and desire aside, red did suit her colouring.

She smiled at Alice though. This was her night, not theirs. She was as determined as her sister to make sure Alice found happiness. "Indeed. I thought the same when I saw her. I very much doubt anyone from Suffolk would know her! I find myself almost giggling to think of Mrs Lyle seeing her...Can you imagine, Bella? She should be stunned!"

Once again, in looking at the two sisters, both taken by this idea and this game, you could see the young girls they had once been. You could almost see them, in white dresses with bows in their hair, teasing and tricking their governesses and nannies for sport.
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"I think we both know... Purple was our mother's color." Arabella chuckled lightly, their mother was not royalty, not even in the slightest. Well perhaps many, many generations ago. But if anyone could have pulled it off, it would have been her. Arabella briefly contemplated whether or not Beatrix would be a good fit for the color of royalty, but the thought quickly faded as it caused more pain than it did any kind of joy.

"Oh, didn't I tell you?" Arabella said at the mention of Lyle, who had, after a period of hysteria been rehoused as it were. "Lyle will be here, if she isn't already." Arabella despite her best attempts could not hold in her laughter, but it was no joke, rather a twisted matter of fate and truth. "The Invernesses." The Duke of Inverness was a rather imposing figure, his family long brought to heel by the Stuarts, but a most applicable fit for a Housekeeper in want of a good home. "Even they can't turn down an invitation to the King's wedding feast." Though it should be mentioned they had not been invited to the wedding or coronation. The King was very particular about his guests.

"Lyle that awful houekeeper of yours? The one with the attitude and the zealotry?" Arthur asked, struggling to bring the woman's face to his mind, though he had undoubtedly heard quite a bit about her. "She's managed to hold out through all of this?" He seemed almost mystified if not slightly amused.

"The very one. You know things had gone wrong if I of all people had to turn her out." Poking fun at herself was something new to her, though for now it seemed she could embrace it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra laughed too. "Oh, how wonderful...And here I am in harlot's red with my maid as a lady. I would give up my finest gem to be a fly on her shoulder when she sees us!"

She smiled and shook her head. "In some funny ways, it is true what they say about servants and keeping the hierarchy more than their master's do. Lyle was entirely of that type and cared more for the footings of the house than even you did," she nodded to Bella. "In her mind, and in the minds of many of her underlings, it went; the Duke, you, then her, then the rest of us! She was entirely content to be where she was, as long as she was above everyone else and by your side. It's touching, in a rather warped way. She was entirely loyal to you, sister...until the King came along and trumped the standing line."

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"Yes, by my side until betraying me became the new fashion." Arabella rolled her eyes, but in reality there was little actual fault in Lyle's actions. She was doing as she must and to refuse the King would have been quite the stupid move. The servants, as suggested were far more loyal than the nobility, but still... a part of her wished that her longest serving servant had been a bit more loyal to her and only her.

In the midst of their conversation there had been a knock at the door, before an entrance. "Your Majesty." The voice of a young man called, and bowed before the royal presences as he entered. His eye, however, caught sight of someone beautiful but unknown, he could not even recognize the woman as Alice.

"It's time. All of your guests have arrived."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra, ignored by the servant, grinned and covered her mouth to hide it as she noticed his gaze flick over, then return to Alice with clear interest, and not just the bland, 'oh, another lady' type of interest! At that moment she rather wished she had switched clothes with Alice entirely and gone as a maid, so she could watch openly, without anyone noticing her. Still, if she had, she could not help her friend along nor introduce her to the Duke, so perhaps it was best.

Of course, all this was meaningless; they had not dressed Alice up in a grand frock and jewels to attract the gaze of a servant boy but still...it was something for her, Alex was sure, to be noticed at all for herself, and not for the sake of being someone importants' maid who could do a task or relay a message.

As the boy was dismissed, not unkindly by the Queen, Alex kissed Arthur's cheek and, briefly, held his hand before she said playfully, "After you've danced with my sister, it's my turn, husband."

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Arabella exhaled deeply and reminded herself to upturn the corners of her mouth into her best smile. Draped in finery and regalia, the Duchess was gone and only the Queen remained. Turning to Arthur, she waited for him to share his affections with his wife.

"I would not have it any differently." Given their current circumstance that was. Arthur embraced his wife tenderly for a few moments before parting them. Stepping closer to his sister-in-law turned step mother, he held out his arm. "Shall we?" He asked cooly, and waited for Arabella to take his arm into her own and the two walked. The servants outside had flung the doors open and waited for the Royals to depart.

Arabella and Arthur walking slowly, all those in their path immediately fell into bows and curtsies before the family. The servants could be seen to smile and whisper to one another. That was something that had not changed and likely would not for the foreseeable future. Following behind them an appropriate way was Princess Alexandra of Wales and to most an unknown woman, most would assume another noble of the royal household. But the group certainly succeeded in turning heads. As they approached the now sealed doors to the state dining room.

"Majesty." The armed officer who would be announcing them bowed upon his greeting. "Your Royal Highness." He followed in turn, once again not acknowledging the Princess or the mystery woman. All Arabella had to do was nod her head to give the signal that she was ready. The doors slowly opened, the soldier went in quietly and banged the mace he carried against the floor, all those present in the room, several hundred at the impressively large and ornate table rose to their feet.

"His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales and Her Majesty the Queen."

The two, arm-in-arm stepped forward into the room fully and stood for a moment as the assembled group began to cheer. With her free hand Arabella waved to all them, the smile on her face so wide she may have been an illustration. Arabella turned slightly to face Arthur, beaming, she extended her arm forward and motioned for him to take his seat at the table. After Arthur had taken his first steps, Arabella moved to her seat and stood behind it.

The doors were closed and the soldier stepped aside, making it abundantly clear that once again there would be nothing for Alexandra, no fanfare, no appreciation, nothing. The cheers today were the Queen and to an extent The Prince. As Arthur took his position, Arabella held up a gloved hand, dripping positively with diamonds, the cheering and applause came to an end.

"My Lords and Ladies." Arabella began, her tone was arm and deferential. "I cannot express the warmth that fills my heart to see you here today, around this great table." Arabella glanced around the room, her eyes resting on each of the faces in her immediate vicinity so they felt seen. "It humbles me greatly. It has been said that we are judged by the company we keep. If that were true, I would be judged the holiest woman in the land." Arabella was certainly one for a good speech, to be long winded was something she learned from Richard who further her oratory skills. "But alas, I am judged by God, as are we all. In each and every one of you is God's grace and love. I appreciate that you have chosen to share just a little bit of that with me upon this most merry occasion."

The pauses were deliberate, her exact tone was deliberate, her diction and enunciation, all of it perfectly planned to garner the reaction she desired. "Now I know you all must be wondering the whereabouts of our most beloved friend, His Majesty. God has called him to the business of state, and the business of state cannot move forward without his divine leadership. When such a calling is made, we are not one to question, we are simply to remember a moment of thanks for his humble service to God and to Country, for even his own wedding can be no exception." Most of the people in this room knew Arabella was lying through her teeth, but they all smiled anyway.

"Hear hear!" Came from one of the nobles around the table, followed by a brief laugh and a bit of cheer before the silence returned.

"Indeed. I was speaking with my ladies earlier today, so they'll have to forgive me for repeating... The time has come, I feel, for us at court to brush up on our morality. We must live by God's example and thus be examples for our friends, servants, and neighbors. It is my greatest honor to serve as your Queen, and I will do so with pride and the blessings of God. Let us all strive a little further to walk in his light and show His Majesty that we too know and live the faith he espouses, the sermons he gives."

Arabella was threatening them, to be perfectly honest, and they all understood. However she walked a thin line as not to overstep her boundaries as a mere woman. Wrapping her message in pleasing the King was her protection.

"Before we begin this sumptuous feast, I would like to take a moment to thank my son." Arabella would present the image she was supposed to present, a happy family, a family that simply tolerated Alexandra. "The second he heard his father would be hard at work he rushed to my side to accompany his mother. Just as his father would have him do. I could not be more grateful for his sacrifice." The choice of wording was odd perhaps, but specific and purposeful.

Arabella waited for those assembled to applaud, and only then did she take her seat, which would allow everyone else to sit as well.

Arthur resisted everything within him that said roll his eyes. He looked down the table noting his wife was seated somewhat of a distance from him, very likely on purpose... his father only hoped she wouldn't be noticed.

Alice mind all had no idea what she was supposed to do in this situation, so she simply forced a smile, tried to avoid thinking of all the eyes looking at her, which they were, those at the table attempting to figure out who exactly she was or where she came from, but none could truly place her. Alice had assumed the one empty seat across from Alexandra was intended for her, so she simply sat, only of course, when the rest did.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra rather spoilt the King -and his minions- plans for humiliation by being very clearly and genuinely unaffected by it all. She smiled courteously at the guard and the servants, as well as the guests as she made her way to her seat, far from the Queen and her husband, and, strictly speaking, the place where she had every right as Princess of Wales to be sat. It was a studded insult, of course, for her to be placed where she was, but Alex just took it graciously.

It won her, if begrudged, a little bit of respect from some quarters, and yet others would say she looked haughty and put out.

With the tables being laid out in a squared off U-shape, with the top table containing the royals -minus Alex- and the most high quests, mainly the council members and their wives, the rest of the guests were spread out on either side, alternating man and woman. The further one was from the top table, the less known or in favour one was, or the lower down the ladder one was perceived to be, so younger and so on were further away, or else men who had not yet schemed hard enough to be worthy of being close to the centre of power...or men who were now too old to be of use.

Alex found herself seat between the rather elderly second son of a notable old Duke, and to her right a once-esteemed General who had long since lost his glory; it was clear where she stood for all to see...seated between an untitled nobody and an old 'has-been'.

The two men, however, were rather thrilled by their companion, though they would have to share her; as per etiquette, you spoke to the person on your left for one course, then switched on the next, but even so, it was something for men of their station to be, within reason, free to speak to Her Royal Highness.

For her part, Alexandra was perfectly content to talk to either of them, and over the dinner she would, quite by accident especially concerning the old General, make a future, very valuable ally. The King, it appeared, may have cause to rue the day he sat here were he did...

-

Across the table, Alice had been placed between a young man, who's place setting bore the name 'Lord Mordecai' and who was clearly at his first event; he was so nervous of all the rules and what was expected that he was actually shaking, something Alice could well appreciate! And on her right side was an older gentleman, very courtly in his manners who appeared to find the young lad deeply irritating...though he was charm itself to Alice.

She noticed her own place-setting said 'Lady Alice' and wasn't that something, to be titled so.

A few seats up from Alexandra, across from her maid, was the Duke of Kent. Later, both Alice and Alex would wonder if Bella had placed him there on purpose; from where he was sitting, he had, if he cared to glance over, the perfect line to stare at Alice...which he did, quite a few times.

-

During the second course, where the Princess was free to speak to the general, she found herself enthralled as he told her tales -maybe true, maybe dressed up, not that she minded either way- of his and his company's exploits as a young man in France and Spain. She was also, due to her reading at home and with Arthur, able to ask intelligent questions and give her views on certain battle tactics, which rather impressed the old man.

"I confess, sir," she said, smiling, "My knowledge is rather limited so please, forgive any foolish comments, but I am fascinated by it all. Though I do find myself troubled by the human casualties' of war, for all it is has it's glories. It would break my heart, even though I would support him, if His Highness had to go and fight."

The general nodded, beaming, "His Highness is a honourable man, Princess, and I can assure you that his men would follow him most willingly into hell if needed. No commander can ask for more. As for the glories of war...Yes, it is a strange thing. The older I become, the more my mind returns to old battles and the friends and comrades I lost along the way. I am most grateful, of course, to God for granting me this but sometimes I do feel the desire to have died in some foreign field, with my men about me. Ah, ignore me, Your Highness, I grow maudlin, as do all old fools when they have lost their chance for glory."

"No, no, sir, it is most heartwarming and almost poetic," Alexandra replied, smiling. "And no one is ever too old to win glory, sir. I am sure, God Willing, your time will come."

"Ah, you are kind to pander to an old fool, Your Highness. I thank you for it," he replied, bowing his head to her.

Page 42 of 96 FirstFirst ... 404142434492 ... LastLast