Page 45 of 96 FirstFirst ... 434445464795 ... LastLast

Thread: The Appalling Strangeness of the Mercy of God [M - Hannelorian x DuchessLivilla]

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"There is no place I'd rather be than by your side, at a grand ball, or just in the garden with..." Arthur was going to say with their children, but he caught himself, always aware of prying ears. Right now they were happy and they had the freedom to be themselves as others looked on from a distance, most in harsh judgment, others simply curious. None of that mattered, their love was enough.

"He may arrive, he may not. I suspect he'll find something to cause a scene about. But we cannot live our lives in fear of him or what he might do. We have to live with our convictions and God will see us through." God, the God the two of them believed in, as opposed to the horrors of what he father believed.

--

"You seem most surprised." Alice commented as the two, now finding something of a rhythm began to glide a little more easily across the room. "If I were not interested, I would not have asked or commented I suppose." There something sheepish about the way she responded to him. It was no longer nerves, not exactly, perhaps a fear of saying the wrong thing or being too bold. Perhaps she needed to be a little less like Alexandra and a little more like Arabella, who from time to time she caught watching her and the Duke.

"The world is too big for us to worry only about what's in our gardens or on the high street." Alice smiled brightly, as she look up upon the face of the Duke. For the first time she really, truly and properly just looked at him. Her dark eyes drinking in every detail of his face. He was more handsome than she had thought, and was more handsome than she would have believed even if she had been told.

"I haven't seen much. Only what the men deign to share of their travels. Which is never any interesting really. It's like they look around them but don't see anything. All they want are their cigars and brandy and the comforts of their estates." Alice had, almost imperceptibly drawn herself physically closer to the Duke as they danced, closing the gap was her intention. She wanted to draw him in, and keep him, at least for a little while.

"I suppose that must make me as odd as you are. But I'm not sure that's anything to be upset about." Alice spoke remarkably freely, it was here with this man that felt comfortable more than she had in a long while.
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Historical 1x1, Sci-fi, Horror, AU
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra smiled, taking her strength from him. She squeezed his hand as they danced, her fingers locked with his. She too could not wait to meet their child, even if said child was being brought into a world she did not, at the moment, much like. Still, things would be better for their son or daughter, she was convinced of it. He or she would not suffer as they had.

"Praise be," she said softly; a term well known in society, and which, to her, had new meaning. A hope for the future.

-

Thomas laughed gently, "Well, as I am surprised you are interested, you must admit that most ladies, or rather, most I have come across in my short and brief forays into society, have few interests bar sewing, dancing, dresses and gossip...and finding, of course, a husband, the chief of all goals, as it were. I am merely surprised you are interested in what everyone else seems to be very most tedious, or else bordering of heresy."

He sighed. "When I wrote home with tales of what I had seen, my father sent me a furious letter telling me that I had 'broken my poor mother's heart' with my vile tales of sinfulness and heresy. All because I wrote of another culture and faith. I suppose, after that, I kept what I saw to myself most of the time. If I ever did tell brief stories, no one was overly interested anyway, or, perhaps worse, gentleman would make unseemly comments about Indians and their place in the world."
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Alice was listening intently as she danced with the Duke. A man she felt perhaps she was too certain of. "How do you know I'm not just looking for a husband?" She asked in earnest, it wasn't meant to be clever or some kind of trick. Alice was in fact, not looking for a husband. Indeed, she really didn't know what she was looking for. Maybe it was this, maybe it wasn't. Surely, Alice knew she carried little for dancing, quite little for dresses, sewing only when she mended the Princess' garments, and gossip when it was relevant.

"I don't think you broke her heart." She chimed in somewhat quietly. "I think men tell us things like that to make us feel enormous guilt. I'm quite sure your mother loved you, with a full heart." She smiled, while her words weren't exactly wisdom, and her foundation for such a statement was rather weak, Alice wanted to believe it was true. Her own mother loved her, no matter how much trouble she found herself in. "I think that is the virtue of women. We're far more reasonable than anyone gives us credit for."

She found herself looking up at this man, and felt something wonderful, though she knew not how to describe it. "I want to hear it all... about the Indians... about the world you've seen as only your eyes can. I want to hear of other faiths because I know nothing but my own... I want to hear about you... because..." Alice trailed off and did not finish her sentence, rather she resumed her attention on the dance itself.

--

Arabella found herself in the midst of conversation when a servant had approached her. She turned her attention to the young man, who struck her as familiar. One of the King's personal attendants. A nameless man who generally served one purpose, to brand brandy to the King. "Yes?" Arabella asked, though not harshly, not as though she were pained by the interruption.

"His Majesty has arisen." The man whispered almost, it was clear that his hands were trembling. Something had happened, or maybe he was just generally afraid of his own master. She would be too, if that were the case. Hell, she was afraid of him, but Arabella would never show it.

"Excellent." Arabella commented, nodding her head. "Please, young man. Take a moment to compose before returning. Perhaps a drink." Again, she spoke not to be insulting, but rather to be kind.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Thomas laughed. "You are too honest to be looking for a husband, to direct, too...yourself. Ladies who are seeking a husband have been so primed by their mothers, normally, that they never move from a script. Then again, the same can be said for gentleman in search of brides. I can almost recite what each shall say to one another, word for word."

He smiled kindly. "No, I know I did not break her heart. She wrote to me often enough, more than my father did. It broke mine to here she had died...By the time I came home she was already buried and I could not say goodbye. I left within the week once more. I confess, I was less grieved when my father, God rest his soul, departed, however sinful that makes me. I had little love for the man."

The young Duke smiled once more. "Then I shall tell you all I can, when I can. You must dance with others before you can, once again, with myself, and we can only speak with the Princess nearby but she strikes me as a Lady who would not find my talk dull. I think," he glanced over at Alexandra and Arthur; the pair may as well have been alone, they had only eyes for one another now, "She is far more intelligent that she pretends to be. The Queen as well. There is something about both of them..."

-

The servant swallowed and bowed. "T-thank you, Your Majesty. I-I shall, with your permission," he added, stumbling over his words as he did so.
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"I think perhaps you make too many assumptions about me." Alice spoke with a smirk spread across her face. Her smiles this evening were perhaps the most genuine she had expressed in some time. Not that the Princess did not make her happy, she did. Alice enjoyed her life as a servant, confidant and friend but here... this was just for her, and she was committed to enjoying it.

"We don't need funerals and burials to say goodbye to those we love." Alice mused lightly, hearing of his very different reactions to the death of his mother and father, leaving him now a man alone in the world. "They never leave us, even if their presence is no longer a physical constant, it is an emotional one." She smiled, remembering fondly her grandparents who had spoiled her to the best of their ability. Something which was quite extraordinary given just how little they had to give. They had sacrificed their lives to give everything to others, to raise their children better than they had been raised. "You also aren't sinful for a lack of grief... You're just human. In fact the ability to admit your feelings makes you the most human... it sets aside title and rank, and exposes you as a man." Alice found his candor exceedingly charming, even if it was a darker subject. "That intrigues me."

Their dance was coming to an end, but Alice didn't want to dance with any other man, all she wanted was to spend the entire night weaving around the floor in the arms of Thomas, just talking, learning, getting to know him and he getting to know her. "Alexandra... uh.. the Princess is perhaps the smartest woman I've ever encountered. The Prince I think brings out the best in her... and as for the Queen. That one is full of surprises." Chief among them being her generosity with outfit, and with seating placement at least for tonight. "I know you can't promise anything... and to ask such a Lord to do so is beyond my station... But please, don't let this be our last dance."

The music ended.

--

Arabella, to those assembled appeared serene, beautiful, and perhaps above all truly happy. She was made for this role, she exuded every qualification. Yet inside, she was now dreading what was about to take place. From across the room she waited patiently for Alexandra to make eye contact. Or come close to it.

"Your sister..." said Arthur rather quietly to his wife. "Is trying to send you a message." Arthur was a particularly keen observer, and when it came to all things that might effect his wife and child, he was even more so. With a slight turn of the neck and a little nudge, he pointed to the Queen.

Arabella's look was one that screamed to gird their loins, the King was on his way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Thomas smiled, "I shall certainly do my best. The rules of this game say you must dance with another, they do not say anything about the gentleman. I am content to stand and wait my turn. Perhaps Her Highness can assist us in that regard."

As the music ended and they stepped apart, the young Duke bowed and smiled again. He had, for the first time, actually enjoyed himself at these dances! He had not even felt, after a few seconds, self-conscious, which was rare for him. He never felt overly at ease in social situations.

-

Alexandra looked up when Arthur spoke and her and Bella's eyes met over the dancers as the music ended. She swallowed and nodded, letting her sister know 'message received'. "Your father is on his way, or will be soon," she said softly, taking his hand as they moved off the floor with the others.

Part of her wished to just melt into the background but that was impossible, even if socially they could have gotten away with it. She bit her lip and squeezed Arthur's hand. "I hope he is in a good mood, for the Queen's sake," she whispered softly. She was not overly worried about herself, there was only so much the King could do in public to her, but she did not want him to be cruel to her sister, even by accident, nor ruin her night. For all the grief of this situation, Arabella was a born social-hostess and such events were very important to her.

Plus...she had had little fun recently.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Arthur found himself, once again, quite awed by his wife. He had rather astutely identified that Arabella had a message for Alexandra, but how Alexandra was able to divine said message was something of a mystery. "It is remarkable how you two can do that." He smiled, if only to keep his mind off of the actual content of the message. He would rather put thought of his father off as long as he could. Anything to prolong the evening he had been having. "With just a look you can say anything." The moment of wonder, however, quickly ended.

"No matter his mood we shall weather the situation. Even he in good company has his boundaries... hard as they might be to hope for."

--

Alice smirked lightly, it would have been impossible to restrain herself. "I think you underestimate your ability to break social convention." Alice had learned from Alexandra, that every now and again, one act of rebellion could turn the tide. Alexandra had stayed the course, and wound up with a Prince. The Prince. Could she not stay the course and end up with a Duke. "I'm not sure how much Her Highness can assist us when..." Alice trailed off, she wanted to say when the King arrived, but that would have been inappropriate. She had already bordered on such.

"I bid you a wonderful evening, your Grace." Alice seemed to vanish, having made an exit to once again be reunited with her mistress.

All the while Arabella braced herself for impact.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alex smiled at her husband and leant in to whisper, "If you like, I can teach you some things. If you look around carefully, you will see ladies sending messages to each other and gentleman, with their eyes, fans and all manner of movements. It's how marriages are made and alliances formed...and it may save a life one day," she sighed. "Anyway, as you say, we shall weather it, together."

She squeezed his hand. "Let us just hope he is so besotted with my sister and his show that he forgets us, or at least does not wish to ruin his own night by concerning himself with us."

"I should have done...something to him, made it so he was in no state to appear. But what? Short of stabbing him with my hairpin, and that would have cost me my life if anyone saw or he remembered. Damn him. Damn him to hell."

-

Thomas smiled and kissed her hand in parting, or rather, in the courtly sense, he bent over her hand and his breath barely ghosted over her glove but still, for a girl with little experience personally of romance, it was thrilling! He watched her go, returning to the Prince and Princess who appeared to be in whispered conversation to one side, standing rather alone and apart.

He too retreated from the dance floor as another dance was to begin. He avoided, carefully so as not to give offense, the eager eyes of the ladies who had not yet claimed a partner for said dance, and went to the refreshment table for a glass of champagne, thus signaling he would not be dancing the one.

The young Duke, becoming more aware that there was something under the surface of all this, watched the scene unfold, his eyes moving between the Wales -and, if he admitted it, he looked at Alice too, for her own sake- and the Queen who appeared calm and collected but her eyes kept going, repeatedly, to the grand door to the ballroom. She was waiting for someone. Well, she was, of course, waiting for Him, the King. Who else could it possibly be?

"Curiouser and curiouser," he thought, sipping his drink.

-

The dam finally broke half-way through this next dance when the doors were flung open and the King was announced. The music stopped, rather abruptly, and everyone turned at once to bow and curtsy in response. After a minute, Christian walked in, just a little unsteady but hiding it well -and who would have dared mention it anyway!- and approached the Queen, smiling. He smelt very, very strongly of spirits and when he kissed her, it was hard not to be repulsed -by that, if nothing else- but she too, like the consummate actress she had been forced to become, hid it perfectly.

"My darling Queen," he said, beaming. "Forgive me, my love...state affairs called me away, damn them, but I am here now and shall not leave your side again this night." He looked around at the gathered crowds, his gaze settling on his son and daughter-in-law briefly. The phrase, 'if looks could kill' came to mind.

He turned back to Arabella and took her hand. "Do you wish to dance, my darling? I think a show of family unity would be good...Perhaps you could accompany the Prince, and I your sister?" He smiled but nothing reached his eyes.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The feeling that descended upon the room when the King burst through the great doors was that of the air being sucked out. It left those present gasping, almost shocked to see him. Were they surprised? No. Not at all, but still there was something jarring about it. The atmosphere of fear was pervasive. The instant drops to knees in bows and curtsies, the silence that came as the band ceased their performance. It was a singular experience, something that could only happen when the King entered a room. Arabella could get close, but perhaps there was a bit more warmth when she stopped the show as it were.

As Christian approached Arabella the smell of the alcohol hit her like a carriage at full speed, though she remained unflinching. When he kissed her, she kissed him back, eager to match the same ferocity though in reality in this moment it disgusted her. But the show was more important than her feelings as a participant. "There is nothing to forgive my darling." Arabella said gently, sweetly. "I am just pleased you were able to join us." The smile she flashed was bright, bold, and unmissable by those assembled. It was a smile that was just for the King, a small, but intimate moment that as if by God's grace she had allowed everyone else present to witness.

Arabella could recall only one occasion on which Richard had actually gotten drunk. It was their third wedding anniversary, after the feast and dancing, when it was just the two of them. Husband and wife sat themselves, in all of their finery on the floor of the Duke's study. They were sprawled out, Richard downing ever more brandy. With her head in his lap he told her, in painstaking detail of Napoleon and his quest to conquer Europe. The drink it seemed made Richard more enthusiastic than normal. Arabella could recall the wild hand gestures to illustrate points, the rather excited rise in his voice when coming to salient detail. She laughed that night, genuinely, truthfully. In those moments they were only ones who existed. The house had gone to sleep, but the two of them remained true to one another in the kind of memory that the world would never know.

"Of course, let us have a dance." Arabella understood now that something was very wrong, and something very bad was about to happen. Christian wanted to dance with Alexandra, which surely meant he had something foul to say. Arabella looked toward the band and took a step toward the Prince. "A waltz, if you would be so kind." Arabella requested and the without delay the band began to play. Arabella rather quickly arranged herself taking hold of Arthur.

"This isn't a good sign." Arthur remarked, his eyes having never left his wife, though to those looking on, it would simply appear he was having a rather private conversation with the Queen. This much at least, was true. "No, not at all... I'm rather worried now, we must be on our guard." Arabella responded carefully as the two began to move. "You must be prepared to extricate Alexandra at any moment..." Arabella sighed, and could only watch on, potentially in horror.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra slowly rose from her courtesy and stood, watching, her face neutral, as the King released his wife and sent her off to Arthur before he advanced on her. Everyone was watching too, quite openly without even pretending otherwise. She dropped a smaller courtesy as the King reached her but made no move until he reached for her hand and waist. The smell of alcohol was repellent, at the best of times, but for a woman in her condition, even more so being so sensitive to such. Still, like the Lady she was trained to be, nothing was shown of it on her face.

Being so close to the King and being held by him set her very teeth on edge. She was glad of the gloves and her gown and corset, which kept his skin from hers at least!

The Princess kept her gaze firmly fixed on the King's collar, having no wish to look at him. This dance was something to be endured, not enjoyed.

-

Christian had no actual desire to be near the witch, but he was driven by a need to put her in her place in public for his own amusement. Plus, while he could not fully remember what had happened in the corridor, he had enough snippets to know she had been there.

He held her hand tightly, far tighter than he needed to, ensuring he was just off crushing her fingers. He too kept his gaze away from her face, but being taller than her, he was gazing over her head. "So Princess, your sister is now Queen...I expect you will remember your place now. There is nothing in law that protects you..."

Alexandra inwardly rolled her eyes. Could the man say nothing new? She supposed it was the drink but maybe he just thought she was stupid and needed to be reminded of how little she was worth at every moment, just in case she had forgotten. She said nothing, unsure if she was meant to reply.

She winced slightly when the King squeezed her hand, crushing her fingers together briefly. "Answer me, witch," he hissed.

"Yes, Your Majesty, I understand entirely. If you wish it, you can have me removed from here at once and put to death," she replied.

"Indeed I can," he spat, smirking. "But you do not think I will, do you? I can see it in the way you look at me and your sister when you think no one is watching. You think you are on a pedestal, safe and sound..."

Alexandra, who, since her marriage, had never felt less safe and sound, nearly laughed at this. How could he be so blind?!

"If I did think that, Your Majesty, my present circumstances would correct me of it, I assure you," she replied softly.

"Oh really?" Christian smirked. "You are far too proud for that, I can see it in your face. Pride is a sin, witch. Remember that. A deadly one, if you push me..." he fell silent for a few seconds as they danced and Alex prayed he was done. But no, of course not, he had more to say. "Ah, but killing you would not be enough. Yes, you would be damned to hell but...it would be far too quick. We must not 'suffer a witch to live' but..." he moved his hand from her waist to her jaw, as he had done in the corridor and made her look at him, "I have a better alternative."

His fingers pressed hard into her skin -which would add to the bruise he had already started earlier- and he leant in to say softly, his voice dripping with poison, "You are safe, witch. I swear on your sister's life, on my beloved Queen, that I shall not have you executed...But if you do anything to displease her or me, or bring any shame to my court and country...I will see to it that the Prince shall suffer an accident, one that you shall, in your wickedness, be blamed for. You will be shut up in a grim place and forgotten about. I trust there you shall live a long life, alone and abandoned...all the while knowing you cost my son his life."

Christian looked down at her, his eyes burning with cold hatred.

Alexandra, despite her position, looked back at him and said, "You would really kill your own son...to cause me pain? You truly are a monster..."

The King smirked. "Ah, finally, the little witch shows her teeth." He leant in, close enough to be considered indecent, "Yes I am...never forget it. I would do all that and more, if needed."

His breath, foul with drink, ghosted over Alex's face and she turned away, clearly repulsed. This annoyed the King more than her words had. Maybe it was true then that, for a man, to see a woman repulsed by him was truly more painful than words.

Christian growled and gripped Alexandra around the throat. He was not longer even pretending to dance but just standing in the middle, with a few couples around them, all of whom suddenly realised something was wrong. "Look at me," he hissed, his hold tightening.

Given her earlier experiences with John, Alex's hand automatically came up and gripped his, trying -in vain, given he had stones on her in weight and strength!- to dislodge him. She did not beg though, she would not give him the pleasure of it.

Page 45 of 96 FirstFirst ... 434445464795 ... LastLast