Page 54 of 96 FirstFirst ... 45253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: The Appalling Strangeness of the Mercy of God [M - Hannelorian x DuchessLivilla]

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"Lady Sarah." Arabella repeated, her mind adrift for a moment, scanning the pages of her memory for something she had long buried. Such thoughts were so unpleasant that it hardly made sense to dwell on them. Women needed few reminders as it was, the pressures of their burden. "I can see her now, that brilliant hair of hers, dark as the waves at night, with the luster of the moon riding on the ends." For a moment it was enough to make Arabella smile. "She was always so kind to us, giving us treats and things of the like. All behind mother's back of course." Their mother, a kind and caring woman, was rather strict when it came to the girls diets. They mustn't be spoilt, or rather, their figure mustn't be spoilt.

"Before you mentioned it, I suppose I haven't thought of her in years... and all I can remember are whispers. And of course that pram, with golden handles..." Arabella seemed to trail off then, lost in the thoughts, memories coming back ever so slowly. "A beautiful blue blanket... crests and all woven in, the finest threads you'd ever see." Though if she was pressed to really think about what was beneath the blanket within the pram nothing came to mind, not even the absence of a child, just nothing... which perhaps spoke volumes in and of itself. "Come to think of it... I remember father mentioning he was worried..." Father was likely worried about the family name, after all, he had taken a wife from a family whose cousin had acted out of pure madness. "Worried about reputation... but also that she'd do something to do us... try to take one... Mother I guess worried more, and eventually settled when both admitted neither of us were boys, so there wasn't as much danger."

To be unwanted for kidnapping, how odd a thought. "Uncle Mortimer. Her father." Arabella recalled, pursing her lips briefly. "A rather shrewd man. Always uncomfortable." What ever happened to either of them, it had been so long. "Do you think Lady Sarah ever realized the nurse was for her?" Arabella asked not to be cruel, but rather to hope that one day her spell had been broken, but then again, would that be a fate more cruel than living in a fantasy world where her child lived and breathed?

"God willing, you will have your son. Something tells me you are to have one. A feeling one might say. Either way, at least you will always have Arthur's love. Nothing will ever change it. Just as my having a daughter never changed Richard's mind. He loved us until his last breath, and he loves us now. You have a good man, and God as my witness, I would sooner die than watch Christian destroy you. That's a promise." Arabella would threaten her own life, or indeed take it if it would save Alexandra. There was no question, her family was all she had left, and she would die to protect it.

"But enough of sad. Let us enjoy the good reporting, and our time together before Christian returns in a few days, and you're returned to your beloved."
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Historical 1x1, Sci-fi, Horror, AU
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra looked out the window once more, the silken flowers on her bonnet bouncing a little with the motion of the carriage. She gazed first at the scenery and then at her own reflection. Sometimes she could hardly believe it was her staring back from said image. The Queen had just sworn, at the cost of her own life if needed, to defend her, as family was all she had. That made Alex smile slightly to herself in silence.

For now, that was all well and good, but soon enough -if the King had his way- Arabella would be with child and, if God willed it, bring forth a son. Suddenly she would have a new family, and Alexandra would, in no way, blame her for changing her mind then. What was a sister, compared to your own son or daughter? There would, and should be, no contest. She knew herself, even now, if presented with the choice...The little life she carried would win before Bella.

She felt a pang of guilt for it, but she could not help it. Was that what they called a mother's love, perhaps? She wondered if their mother had felt the same thing for them. She supposed she must have. What about one's husband though? The Princess toyed with a ribbon on her glove in an anxious habit. That was a question. How did one make such an impossible choice...Then again, she reasoned with herself, she had, just seconds ago, made the choice that, if pushed, the baby came before her own sister, and yet when faced with the same of the baby and Arthur, she struggled.

Did that mean that, to her, now in this place in her life, her husband was more to her than her sister? It did not site right with her, and yet, she could not deny her feelings on the matter.

"God be good, perhaps I am wicked. I can easily chose my child over my sister, who I owe my life, my marriage and therefore said child's existence to, and yet I struggle to choose between my husband and child."

She knew what she was suppose to pick. After all, her only, according to society, value was in her children and therefore, she should chose the child, after all, said baby had been sent to her by God, as a blessing. Choosing anything else, even a man, and her husband, to whom she was bound, was like throwing that blessing back in God's face...And yet...If push came to shove, she still had no idea what she would chose.

Alex looked at Bella, briefly toying with the idea of asking her, if, in that moment when she held little Beatrix for the first time, she had had to choose the baby or Richard -say, a life for a life, so that he might live on- what would she have picked? But thought better of it. The Queen needed no more nightmares, even hypothetical ones, to haunt her sleep.

And such questions were beyond Alexandra. She would talk them over with Arthur, tonight; he, at least, appreciated her mind in a way that other men would not. How she longed to be able to speak to scholars and great minds of the day but even if any would speak with her, they'd never take her questions seriously and merely, at best, pander to her rank.

Something occurred to her then, that she had missed earlier.

A few days...returned to...

She blinked, "Oh, did you mean for us to stay with you at the palace while the King is away?" Alex, and Arthur, had assumed she would visit daily but return home in the evenings. Now, of course, she saw it was only natural that her sister would wish for them to stay; when else might they get this time alone again?

"Forgive me," she laughed softly, "Of course you did. It never occured to me is all, but I see it makes sense. We must make the best use of our time, and I would be honoured to stay. As long as," she smiled coyly, making a jest at her own expense, "We do not stay at Windsor. I fear the fortress should not take kindly to myself behind its walls. It has too much of it's master there."

The Princess smiled again and looked back to the window as they passed the street-scenes before them. "I shall send a note to Arthur at the club when we return home to inform him that he must sup alone tonight. I am sure he can find something to occupy him. Or else, he may just stay in town. Then again," she nodded to Alice, "He does enjoy taking the little one around the corridors before she goes back to her nanny for sleep. It is a thing to see them together, is it not, Alice? He holds her so tenderly and chats with her as if she can reply. I was stunned the first time I saw it. I do not think I have ever seen a man hold a baby before, have you?"

She laughed. "And yet there he was, in the nursery, the baby in his arms, the nanny looking as stunned as I surely did!"
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"I do not stay at Windsor, when Christian is away..." Arabella said rather calmly, her voice still almost distant as she continued to stare out at the passing streets, those catching glimpse now of the occupants smiled and waved, only hoping for a moment that a Royal or two would return one in kind, and indeed Arabella did, now a smile draped across her face, even if she had no real desire to do so. "Buckingham Palace was been rather transformed, the renovations almost complete. Very much to my own taste." Indeed it would seem that Christian would care little what Arabella did, so long as she remained vigilant and attentive to her duties. Windsor was somewhat maudlin, at least it had become her prison, the King's preferred residence.

"Of course, should you and dear Arthur have other engagements, I shall be obliged to release you." Arabella now once again turning her attention to her sister. It was rather odd, how empty she seemed to feel most of the time. But perhaps that was the best she could do to avoid any feeling of specific pain, or anger, even rage. "It would only be for a few more days at any rate." Something truly had changed within Arabella, and one wondered what her life could have been should she have this turn of faith, this renaissance of character some years earlier. Perhaps she would have been executed, perhaps that would have been easier.

"I think I can be at peace, for a time. But I must confess..." Arabella shook her head, deciding against speaking further. She would have remarked on how she hated the talk of Beatrix, how comfortable Arthur was, how much of a father he was becoming. It was only a reminder of what she didn't have, what she might never have. The moment she gave birth to a boy, if she would be so lucky, he would cease to be hers, and would become a symbol of the state, a new heir, a new weapon for Christian to use in his silent war, which may by then have fully erupted into armed conflict, a civil war. Arabella could feel how close they were, but she said nothing. It wouldn't do any good.

"You needn't worry you know." Arabella in her way always knew more than she let on, and in this moment she could see the wheels turning her sister's head. But all those thoughts would be met with is a smile. "You'll never have to choose between me and a child, or your husband." It was a sense that only an older sister could have, one who had power, who was a Queen and indeed knew exactly how fragile her position was. "I know I wouldn't win. You needn't feel shame in that."

The carriage had arrived at the Palace whose grand gates opened wide to let them in, a crowd had formed as usual to watch the thing disappear.

Alice was about to speak when the Queen seemed to have known better and cut her off, or would have had she really tried. Instead Alice simply nodded and smiled, she couldn't help but feel she had interrupted a moment between two sisters, something she was not meant to see, something she was not meant to be a part of. "It seems we have returned. Perhaps we could all use a spot of tea, and maybe some cards." Alice finally spoke to break the tension, Arabella's gaze now fixed upon her, Alice smiled softy, the Queen nodded as the footmen opened the door.

--

Sometime that evening Arthur was greeted by a letter, sealed by his wife. Running his fingertips over the wax, he smiled knowing that his beloved had touched it. It brought a warmth to his heart, though he admittedly was perplexed for he had certainly expected her to be waiting when he returned that evening. Of course he plans had changed, a part of him wondered if she was at all enjoying herself. Or if Arabella was up to her old cruel tricks. No, he believed she had changed. Never the less, he broke the seal and cast his fingertips upon the ink she had written.

"She's staying with Her Majesty." Arthur commented aloud, to no one in particular though his valet was within earshot.

"They are sisters after all, your Highness." The man commented, his eyes were a bright blue, his hair cropped rather short and brown. He too came from mysterious origins, somewhere on the streets from an unloved place, though Arthur would not know it.

"Right you are." Arthur responded, sighing somewhat deeply, fingertips now resting on his head, scratching lightly at his scalp beneath his dark hair. "I don't suppose you fancy a trip to Buckingham Palace?" Arthur asked, though everyone understood this was not precisely a question.

"I've never been your Highness." The man commented, his attention now turned to his master. "Is it as spectacular as Windsor?" He asked, genuinely quite curious.

"No, no. Windsor is much larger, much more garish. Windsor is a rather awful place. No place to grow up. No place for children." He commented, almost beneath his breath, indeed Arthur shared the same sentiment as his wife on the matter. "It's quite grand, been under renovation ever since my father married." Arthur commented rather directly. "It makes sense Her Majesty would take her there. Besides, I'm sure there are plenty of ladies maid's for you to terrorize. The Court Women do not go far from their Queen. Lest she cause trouble." Arthur knew the rules all too well. "Let us set out. Prepare the coach."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The three ladies enjoyed a delightful supper in one of the smaller dining rooms -though this too could seat some twenty guests!- with the foods laid out on the sideboard and the ladies helping themselves. It meant they could dispense with formality and the servants, who laid the food down and departed. Rather than strict courses, they could take what they wished and enjoy it. It was often how Arthur and Alexandra dined at home when they had no guests, or only guests such as the good doctor etc. Neither saw the point of grand, 18 course dinners, for two or so people; though at court, this was still the standard, even if it was just the King and Queen.

Christian loved pomp and ceremony. It was all a measure of his control, no doubt. The fact most of the dishes were untouched, didn't bother him, though naturally, the Queen had seen to it that any untouched were passed onto the servants and then the poor of the city, as befitting her role as generous Queen Consort.

As they ate, Alexandra laughed softly and told her sister -Alice already knowing the informality at Marlborough- about their dining habits when alone. "You would be scandalised, dear sister, I am sure, to know Arthur and I often dine like this, and often, depending on the day we have had, we both appear for supper in as casual a clothing as we can. Many time have we sat and dined, myself in a wrapper* and he in his dressing gown. A few weeks ago," she blushed, it was something freeing to be able to speak to her sister as a sister, and not as the Duchess and then Queen, "he came from his fencing and we dine while all he wore was his boots, breeches and open shirt. I confess, I could not tell you what I ate that day, my gaze was firmly fixed elsewhere!"

The ladies laughed and joked on this topic, Alice having few tales to tell but both the Queen and Princess talking happily of similar times. Here, at least, neither felt it was wrong to admit they found their husband's attractive. Of course, Bella's tales were of her first marriage and Richard. If asked, she could say she did not think it suitable to talk of the King as such, but in reality, Richard was the man she thought of in such times...However handsome the King was -and he was, even Alex could admit that he and Arthur had similar looks in that regard- his inner-ugliness killed any such desires.

She winked at Alice and nudged her. "Whatever you hear, I do not think it wrong to admire one's husband. After all, he is how God made him, and finding him appealing is showing pleasure at God's work. I hope you will find your husband to your liking in that regard."

-

After dining, and changing into more informal dresses with shorter sleeves and less tightly-boned corsets, Alice, the Queen and Alexandra, retired to the large drawing room that overlooked the gardens. Here they were joined by the other court ladies; Bella's maids of honour, of course, but also the wives of notable men who hung around the place like hens.

The Princess wore a soft blue gown, with sleeves ending just above her elbow, and trimmed with white lace at the ends and hem. Tiny little flowers, picked out in seed-pearls dotted the fabric. It was simple, yet very pretty and suited her colouring. Coupled with her dark curls and ringlets, tied back into a graceful mass at the back of her hair, with a blue ribbon, it made for a very charming picture of a simple, elegance.

Of course, to the King's mind, she would have looked fair to plain! As a Princess and Royal Lady, she should have been in brocade, richly embroidered with diamonds and pearls on her and in her hair even for such an informal occasion but he was not here.

In order to spare Alice the uncomfortable questions she was likely to be hit with, Alexandra and she, along with two of the younger, more 'gentle' and less caustic ladies, sat down to play cards, using little mother of pearl counters as their bets. As no real money was involved -though it was when gentleman played- this was thought acceptable for ladies to do; it was not really gambling, after all.

Another lady took up her place at the piano, others were sitting sewing while they talked and so on. It was all very much the image of quiet, gentle industry that society liked to portray; if any lady was reading, it was a book of 'good' -in other words not romantic' poetry or a prayer book, and no unsuitable topics would be discussed here.

It was, in Alex's view, mind-numbing in many ways, but she made the effort to enjoy it for what it was; the company of ladies of a similar rank and experience, but even so, their conversations were rather limited to their health, and that of their husbands and children, their gardens and projects at home -Lady Cattow new music room, for example!- and plans for their children's futures. Alex was always amazed to hear ladies speaking of their son or daughter's marriage, when said child was still in its cradle!

It utterly baffled her. She had been asked, on three separate occasions by three different ladies, on what she hoped for her unborn child; if it was, praise be, a boy, was she hoping he would marry an English heiress or did she look for a more grand marriage with a Princess aboard? Perhaps one of the Romanov Grand Duchesses? And if it was a daughter, perhaps the little Princess could marry the hoped for son of her sister, and bring unity to the family.

Alexandra had been so caught off guard that she had merely said she had not yet considered such things! Given the infant was not yet here, and it seemed crude to make such plans when God had not yet blessed her with the baby.

Today was easier though, and she, Alice, and the two ladies, chatted amicably about their little tour out as they played cards. Alice was rather good, having played much with her mistress and the Prince, and won the first three rounds without breaking a sweat. Of course, this allowed her to practice the ladylike way of winning without causing upset.

* Victorian Dressing gown/robe, very simple dress worn over a nightgown and tied closed at the waist, only worn with family and very close friends.
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

In the comfort of the private dining room, Arabella felt at peace, and was more relaxed than usual. It had, after all, been decorated to her wishes, and rather reminded her of Richard. The King would never notice, of course. The lighter woods were something of a hallmark of how she had decorated her former estate. Suffolk, now laying entirely dormant in the hands of the King. Her one true home.

"I do think we ever dined so informally." Arabella recalled, smiling, blushing ever so slightly at her sister's descriptions of her husband. These things were typically never discussed. It was quiet the sight to see Alexandra so entirely happy. "Actually I can't remember any time I had appeared in such a state." Arabella was not meant to be insulting, but rather she was scouring her brain trying to remember. "I suppose Richard's death bed." Arabella purposefully did not choose to mention that it was the birth of her daughter, which was why she was in such dress. She herself had been bed bound, and at the moment of Richard's expiration she had rushed to him. "I think I would rather like so informality. Though Christian hardly tolerates it.. but... if you must know..." Alexandra did not need to know, nor would she want to.

"His Majesty vastly prefers regalia to remain firmly on." Arabella made a vague motion with her hands inferring she meant something more intimate, it was perhaps the only comment on her current husband she made at that dinner. Laughing of course, mildly at the thought, laughter helped ease the pain.

---

As the women relaxed in the drawing room, Arabella had taken up her usual seat, in the window box, overlooking the pristine gardens she had approved of. Arabella often kept her feet up, crossed at the ankles, the fabric of her lavender dress spilling over the side and trailing down as if all had been artfully and perfectly placed. Of course it had, but in her way she made it effortless. Strings of pearls about her neck which of course she had hidden in a high collar, something she rather enjoyed and seldom strayed from. Though her sleeves were short and puffed, the Queen remained in evening gloves, perfect white and silk that rode up just above her elbows, hugging her upper arms snuggly. Her hair, perfectly done and held with pins into a less sophisticated up-do, but something that still spoke of her status. Her hair seemingly prepared at all times for a tiara, as if one were just waiting to be donned.

An open book sprawled across her lap, something she hardly had time to read, as the ladies, each waiting their turn in order of seniority would approach and chat with her. Most seeking approvals for this and that, wanting to know her opinions on almost everything, largely mundane but the Queen was not shy about her opinion, or her tone. She was light hearted when needed, comedic rarely, gravely serious even rarer. One woman feared her husband was having an affair, and Arabella, despite knowing this was in fact, the truth had reassured her nothing was amiss and it was her place to remain by her husband's side, no matter what. Even if he were carrying on with another, a lady must never show weakness, must never flinch.

Her eyes periodically going to her sister and Alice who quietly played cards. The look upon Alice's face when she won was precious, how quickly she had picked up on the social queues and rituals of courtly life. Indeed she would be a good addition, though her Duke was hardly the type. It was pleasant to see Alice could seemingly fit into both worlds without hesitation.

After some time, the door to the room opened following a knock. A young footman with his head down, as though the ladies could be in some scandalous position and made a line to the Queen, leaning in and whispering in her ear. Arabella smiled and nodded, waving the man off. The Queen rose and the ladies immediately turned to watch her, having paid no attention to the young man. "If you'll excuse me for a moment." Arabella quickly moved to the door which was held open and exited without further comment.

"Well, if it isn't the Prince of Wales himself." Arabella spoke in a mocking time, of course, all in jest as she smiled and nodded her head.

"In the flesh." Arthur replied, his arms extending outward, showing his presence for a moment before taking a deep bow. "Your Majesty." He replied further, his eyes taking stock of the Queen as he rose to a standing position once more. "I trust you aren't too displeased, that I've kept her." This wasn't exactly a test, but Arabella made a point to show her authority at any and every occasion. "Not at all." A part of Arthur did mind, sharing his wife was something he was accustomed to, to a degree. Of course it wasn't the idea of others indulging in the pleasure of her presence, but rather the nature of it being Arabella. Her sister, true. Reformed, perhaps. The wife of the enemy, most certainly. It was that last part that made him nervous, apprehensive at best.

"You aren't the least bit worried that I'll refuse to let her go?" Arabella asked, her face now shifted to an entirely vacant, almost blank expression. "I don't believe you would do that, now would you mother?" The Prince asked as he continued to stare the Queen down, he did not flinch, he did not budget.

"I don't know, wouldn't I?" Arabella asked in the most innocent voice she could muster. "Just think how pleased your father would be upon his return." Perhaps now Arabella was testing Arthur, she knew, or at least suspected strongly that the Prince did not trust her, at least not entirely. "So what will you do? Whisk her away now? Ruin her fun? All for a chance of thwarting some plan that might not exist?" Arabella, at this point had begun to circle the Prince in the corridor, walking ever slowly enough to make him uncomfortable. Guards never far from her beck and call. "Or do you take the chance, and force yourself to swallow your worries and actually trust me?"

Arthur stood silently, a forced exhale tamped down his anger, at least for the time being. Here was Arabella, the same old sort, playing her games, toying with him, but not only with him, no, but with his wife and his unborn child. "Boy or girl, what do you think?" Arabella asked, now her tone shifting to something rather sing-songy, quite annoying truly. "Perhaps no one will get the chance to know. That's what you're worried about isn't it?" A self satisfied sigh, hand thrown up in the air.

"You think you're so clever, don't you?" Arthur asked, now looking toward the floor for but a moment before returning his gaze, now quite angered back to the Queen. "Think you have all the power just because you wear a crown atop that pretty little head of yours." Arthur shook his head with a gentle tut tut escaping his lips. "You wouldn't dare risk a stain upon that brilliant image you've created for yourself. Do you think my father would protect you? After all, you're just a play thing, and soon as you birth a boy, if you're even capable of such... well I suppose you'll just be a bit of trash, excess baggage won't you?"

Arabella clutched at her chest in response. "Well done my little Princeling." She responded, once again with a smile. "Well, I suppose you would like to see her." Arabella nodded her head and moved back to the doors which she had departed, throwing them opened with a smile. "My dear ladies, we have a special visitor in the form of His Royal Highness. If you would kindly give the Princess the room." As the women nodded and all curtsied there were hushed whispers as they flooded out of the drawing room. "Alice, with me please." Arabella requested, and finally stepped aside allowing the Prince to enter, after which the door sealed behind him.

Arthur without fail rushed to his wife, a smile spread across his face, he would move to embrace her tenderly and place a delicate kiss upon her lips. "Darling!" He remarked with eyes beaming. The Prince looked worried, but at the same time relieved to see his wife was unharmed and looking rather well.

"Guards outside the door, they don't leave until I say so." Arabella ordered in a rather calm tone, leaving Alice in something of a stunned state. "Don't stand with your mouth hanging open like that. Let's give them their privacy." Arabella chuckled and extended her arm for Alice to take it, and off the two went.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra, who had not expected to see her husband today, or rather, since she had agreed to remain and going home was off the table, blinked and rose with the other ladies when her sister breezed back into the room to announce his arrival. She had, very briefly, when the footman appeared, panicked, thinking perhaps the King had come back; which was all she needed!

She looked around as the Queen emptied the room and also took Alice. This set her a little on edge. What was going on? Her heart settled a little when she saw Arthur was really and truly here and it was not all some cruel game, but even so...something was occurring and she did not like how she felt. It was a little too similar to the 'old' Bella.

The Princess embraced her husband and leant up on her tiptoes to return the kiss, smiling into it as she did. "Arthur, what are you doing here? Not that I am unhappy to see you," she laughed and cupped his face. She glanced at the closed door, biting her lip. What was going on though?

"What...happened? Did you ask Bella to clear the room?"

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Arthur did not let his smile fade, as he was genuinely enthralled to see his wife, to spend a moment devoid of interruption happily in her embrace. "Well, I received your letter." For the time being he let all other thoughts drift aside. "And I thought, well it isn't rightly fair that you get to come see the new Buckingham Palace. Why should you have all the fun?" He was laughing, the corners of his mouth tightly upturned, his eyes as well, leaving the slightest trace of wrinkles at the corners.

"I couldn't stand be apart from you. Not even for a night were it possible for us to spend it together." Arthur, of course, would put off every moment of what he could to make his wife happy, comfortable. "Ah. No I did not. Your sister did that of her own accord." Arthur shook his head slightly and rested his palms flat upon his wife's shoulders, squeezing ever, ever so gently upon them.

"You must forgive me, but I worry that you are not safe here, even with the King out in the country. I would like to bring you home, you've had an awful load on your shoulders with the Queen's charity events. I hate to see you so burdened." Arthur to the contrary rather enjoyed seeing his wife about, making her own woman of herself and getting her spot in the headlines along side Arabella, who of course, he could not trust. "Her Majesty will understand." She wouldn't, or she would. It wasn't clear to what she was playing, though something was certainly afoot.

"You've done rather marvelously by all accounts. I just wish you to get the rest you deserve." Arthur had never really been one to conceal his thoughts, but here he felt he must. After all, his own grandfather had once made sure there were covert holes in certain palace walls, so one could always watch and listen. Who was to say Arabella hadn't had similar designs employed?

"Your Majesty, is everything quite alright?" Alice asked as she walked rather lockstep with the Queen if not slightly behind her. "A wife should have time alone with her husband. It's only fitting." Arabella reasoned, and seemed almost too calm. It was off putting but she could say just why. "Yes, I suppose that's true..." Arabella would not let her finish a thought to herself. "Besides, I'd rather like for you to see some fabrics I've just gotten in. They may be to your liking."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alexandra smiled as he spoke, at first anyway, and looked up at him with such love and trust it would make any man think himself a God, to be so stared at. She blushed a little when he said he could not bear to be apart from her. She had to admit, she had felt rather the same way. Unlike most couples, they more often than not shared a bed each night, even if all they did was sleep; either she came to his room or he to hers. She had not been relishing the thought of sleeping alone, having grown used to having him with her rather quickly.

She stroked his cheek gently then moved her hand to her shoulder to take a hold of his hand. "Arthur, I promise, I am safe. I...I do not know what she is doing here, in all this, but I am sure it serves some reason. But I am also sure she wishes me, currently, no harm. I think she is lonely, for all she is never alone, and wishes to have some non-complicated company while the King is away. Who knows when we might have this chance again? When he returns, and as soon as she is with child, he shall not allow her much from his sight, nor me to be alone with her...In case I should curse her or some nonsense."

She moved again to kiss him then rested her head on his shoulder. "I shall be sure and leave the day before the King is expected back, so to avoid any issues in case he comes back early." She smiled then, a rather wicked idea occurring to her. Alex pulled back a little and looked up at him, "It's a shame you cannot hide here, and then climb in through my window like a fairy story but the risk would be too great and I would not have you scaling palace walls for my amusement, however skilled I am sure you are at such."

The Princess sighed, "As for the charity work...My God, the things I saw today. Changes must be made but Bella has it in hand. I am glad you were not there, my love. You would have struck the warden of that so called hospital."

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Arthur shook his head and held his wife slightly tighter, intimately aware that he shouldn't squeeze quite too hard. "I pray that is the case, but I fear the King is not our only threat." The look of fear in his face was real, and unhidden just now for he could not keep the truth from her for long. "Arabella is playing games again, with my head. I don't exactly know what she is looking for, or what she hopes for. But I cannot help but worry." He was, of course, sympathetic to the fact that Arabella was his wife's sister and naturally her words were ever so true.

The Queen was lonely. And there would be no other such opportunity any time soon for the two sisters to spend time together without the King, and after all it appeared to be in a positive light. They had just gone out full speed ahead in front of the press, together doing good works and great acts of charity.

"The Warden of the Foundling Hospital?" Arthur stopped, his head cocked for just a moment, he wondered if he had ever met the man, but indeed he had not. He was never taken to such a place, his mother was deemed too unfit for that line of work, and as such there was never a press opportunity to feature him beside her. In fact, every opportunity imaginable was taken to prevent Arthur from spending any real time with his mother, at least not until he was a bit older, and by that point the woman was far gone. "You shall have to tell me all about it. I've heard conditions are poor in such places, but I've never seen them myself."

It would not shock him, if it was worse than he had thought, or perhaps he simply hadn't wished at all to think of it. After all, he was expecting his own child, to think of cruelty to other such children would not bring him any piece of mind. Then again, perhaps that was the ideal time to think of it. "If you're certain, than I shall not be far. You have my word." Arthur raised his wife's hand to his lips and kissed it, smiling warmly, he kissed her gently still.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Alex held her husband, her hands stroking over his shoulders and arms to try and calm him. "Yes...She is good at that, she always was. "And I know it is harder said than done, but please, do not let her get a rise from you." She smiled gently, "For all she is Queen, Arthur, you are a born and raised Royal Prince; never forget it. Do not let her create doubt in yourself, or us. You," she rested a hand over his heart, "are Arthur, Prince of Wales. Never doubt it. My sister is gifted at making people think less of themselves so they are not a threat to her. It is how I felt the entire time I lived with her as Duchess, until we married. It was only when it broke, a little, that I had the strength, or nerve, to agree to dance with you and here we are. So please, do not let her get into your head."

She smiled gently and moved his hand the light swell of her stomach, more visible in this lesser-boned dress, "We are safe here, for now, and if that ever changes, I shall leave, at once. I made a point, when meeting the staff, to see to it that a gift of good tobacco was sent to the guardsmen in the barracks, as thanks for their welcome. I hope, therefore, that if needed, at least one can be persuaded to help me escape, if push comes to shove. At least while the King is absent. I cannot say for their actions when he is here...The fear may be too much, which I can understand."

"Ah, and yes...as for the tour..." she shook her head. "The children are being underfed, to a terrible degree. Unlike many of our rank, I know the pain of hunger, but this is even worse. Most of the children are skin and bones. How they have the will to rise from their beds is beyond me."

Alex bit her lip and closed her eyes briefly before she managed to carry on, "The infants though, my God, Arthur. They are typically sent away to foster homes in the country, likely to ensure the death rate is not so high as to cause problems, as if they die there, there is likely little record. But even so, while there, they seem to be dosed, as regular intervals, with something the warden called 'the quietness' some tonic. I have yet to find out what it is but I can be assured it has little in the way of food! It makes them sleep, or at least so drowsy as to not cry."

She swallowed again, images of that place coming back to her. "Arthur, that...that so called nursery. It was full of cots, with around a hundred infants, from newborns to around two years old, and...there was not a sound in the place. Not a cry, not a whimper, nothing. Had you entered with your eyes closed, you would never have guessed there were babies in it. But that was not the most shocking thing; the warden, his wife and the staff, seemed entirely unfazed by it! This is clearly normal to them!"

The Princess covered his hand on her stomach with both of her eyes closed her eyes, saying a silent prayer for those children, and her own.

-

The Queen's maid, a new addition, given to her at her marriage by the King, hurried about the smaller drawing room where the seamstress's assistants had laid out large bolts of fabric and samples, as well as pieces of embroidery and books of styles for her Majesty to look at. At the time of her marriage, the Queen had not been aware of it, but now she had, after her visit, checked and found out that this girl was, in fact, a foundling girl. After that, Arabella had picked her to be there, wishing, perhaps, to ask her questions now she was away from the warden.

Madam Bertin was not here today, she would come when called, likely tomorrow, as the Queen had thought they would not be bad in time, but all had been arranged for when she did arrive.

But now word had come that the Queen wished to come and see the fabrics. Her maid, Mercy -it was common for foundling children to be named after biblical things or characteristics- smoothed her apron and paced a little nervously. She had never been alone with the Queen before, always in a group of other maids, and always the most junior. She was not sure while she had been chosen for this today! She was so worried of making a mistake and being sent away her hands were shaking.

She reached up, tucking a lock of stray blonde hair under her white cap and chewed her lip briefly before glancing at the rich fabrics nearby. They were so bright and colourful to her eyes, having, until just recently, been used only to drab and grey -aside from the garish colour favoured by the warden's wife that is!- that she could not help but cross to admire them more closely. She didn't dare touch, of course, but she longed to. The silks looked so soft, and the rich brocades with their embroidery...What would that feel like?

Mercy was so lost in this thought that when the door opened, she jumped and hastily, not even looking to see who it was, dropped a low curtsy just in case. She had, twice now, much to everyone's amusement, bowed as such to a mere footman, because she hadn't checked first. Still, given she was used to being struck for any minor infraction, she wanted to air on the side of caution...rather than miss bowing to the right person!
    Last edited by DuchessLivilla; 04-06-2023 at 09:31 AM.

Page 54 of 96 FirstFirst ... 45253545556 ... LastLast