Thread: Sci-Fi Survival Horror Interest Check

Field Cryptozoologist
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Default Sci-Fi Survival Horror Interest Check

Hello all! I’ve been thinking of the Survival Horror genre quite a bit recently, and it’s quickly become one of my favorites. I’ve got two ideas for a survival horror game set in a sci-fi universe, and I’m hoping to garner interest for one or the other.

Murder in the Menagerie
    Welcome, one and all, to Professor Xarkic’s Magnificent Galactic Menagerie! Here you’ll find the widest selection of animals, plants, and semi-sentient fungi from across the universe. From the dozen-eyed Farthraxxian Skurgripes to the nearly-gaseous Zestillese star snakes, there’s something for everyone to enjoy!

This would be set on a large terraformed asteroid owned by the mysterious Professor Xarkic, who uses it to house his many, many lifeforms from across space (and rumor has it, time). However, the Professor is found dead in his cabin, the power cut, and all of the animals released at once. Characters would have to survive the deadliest predators from dozens of planets while trying to make their way off the asteroid. Along the way, they’d discover a conspiracy that reaches far deeper than a simple zoo.

Night on Esplin-9
    Congratulations, colonist! You have been selected from thousands to travel to Esplin-9. It is now your duty to tame the wilderness for future generations. Report to launch pad 47B tomorrow at 0800 for launch. Please remember not to eat 24 hours before entering hypersleep.

The Inter-Planetary Colonization Committee runs the colonization efforts of dozens of planets. Among them is Esplin-9, a beautiful jewel of green, white, and blue amongst a sea of black. Should all go according to plan, the first round of colonists will have everything set up for just in time for the next round to arrive. What they don’t anticipate are the violent electromagnetic storms that wrack Esplin-9, effectively eliminating colonizing efforts as soon as they enter the atmosphere.

Now faced with an unforgiving alien planet, the colonists must learn to survive until they can contact the Committee for rescue. At every turn, they must contend with the harsh elements, the local flora and fauna, and the previously-unknown species of native. Will they make it, or will they succumb to the deadly wilds of Esplin-9?
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Night on Esplin-9

Violent electrical storm activity wasn't noted on the survey report? If this communication outage occurs as soon as they've entered the atmosphere, this means the colony ship isn't getting their shuttles back unless they're dropping hab-pods. Still, you would think the ship would check in first.

What means would the colonists have to contact the IPCC for rescue?
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Field Cryptozoologist
    I do a bit of everything, but I'm always down for a good horror or high fantasy plot
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Each shuttle is equipped with a long-distance laser “radio” with which they can send messages back to the IPCC. The communications rig has a receptor for similar long-distance messages. As of right now, however, the radio is completely nonfunctional. Repair might be possible, but it’ll take time.

As for why the electromagnetic storms weren’t brought up beforehand, well, that’s a very good question. Initial scans of the planet show no sign of such weather formations. At least, that’s what it says in the IPCC’s database.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/MJKETshMQ8yXopEM8</a>

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

So either the survey team didn't spend an entire orbital period to study the planet in all phases and basically left once they'd collected the virological workup, or most of it was done remotely and the team assumed the robot probe failures were due to something else.

Or someone knew about them, and decided the rewards outweighed the risks.

Field Cryptozoologist
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

It seems nobody else is expressing interest, would you like to adapt Night on Esplin-9 to be a 1x1?

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Sorry, it's safer in groups.