Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: [M]Would-Be Heroes Off to Help Save the World(IC)

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Then the pair was in agreement. Elloria nodded, looked at the symbol again to etch it in her mind, then started down the left passage. She stayed in stride with Belvanaj, almost scared to take either the lead or the rear- something about the cavern made her uneasy. Her own nerves, likely; that, and the quiet, mostly broken by their own soft footfalls along the ground.

The tunnel gently swayed back and forth, right and left, but ultimately in a roughly straight shot as far as Elloria could tell. And as they walked, she failed to notice any more of those mysterious symbols. Could they have been lead astray? Should they have retreated and looked for more of those symbols elsewhere? Belvanaj did have a very good point that the arrow led away from the cave; and if it was made by a person, it was unlikely to be pointing away from anything interesting. But again, if it was left by the artifact, then perhaps she was searching for the wrong sort of meaning...

The tunnel widened, and eventually let out to a large cavern. As they reached it, Elloria hesitated, unsure of what it meant. Perhaps Belvanaj, with his knowledge of cave systems, would be able to tell her whether or not the cavern had any significance. It was large, with stalactites starting to form along the ceiling, and their lights cast shadows all along the ceilings and the walls. But, on the far end of the cavern, it looked like another tunnel led away from it, and around the mouth of it, was that...? "Is that another symbol, over there?" she asked, her quiet voice echoing in the hollow.
    one x one search thread

mid september update: laptop issue resolved and in my possession! going to be with friends for the next couple weeks so i'll probably still be slow for the rest of the month, but i'll be back to speed after that!

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

The echoes startled them. It was unlikely sounds anywhere else they had ever been. They realized then it was only from what was said from their own voices.

Belvanaj said, "We need to go over there and look, to be able to tell." There was different coloration there, at just that one spot, along the passage continuing on from this larger cavern, right by the edge of the opening. They went on toward it, watching where they stepped, for the bottom of this cavern was rather uneven.

They came soon to that spot. Here they saw two things that must have been symbols left on the wall of that passage. One was an arrow like the other one, with it pointing that same way, before it was what seemed to be a raised arm with a clawed hand.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

The echoes of the cavern seemed to have spooked Belvanaj, so the pair crossed the room in relative silence. The silence and the anticipation, mixed with Elloria's extant anxiety, melded together in her stomach to create a concoction of adrenaline that was ready to bolt at any moment. She almost wished that the floor would start crumbling away, or something would scream from the darkness and start chasing them, so that she might have an excuse to run and burn off some of the excess energy that coursed through her veins.

What she had spied had, in fact, been another symbol. It was two, in fact; another arrow, and a new symbol. Elloria stared at it. "A claw? Danger, perhaps, in that direction...? Surely we would have seen it if it remained. Or perhaps a warning of needing to climb...?" Her voice was quiet to reduce the echo, and she glanced back towards where they had come from. "Or..." She looked back to Belvanaj. "Do your notes have anything on what this might be?"
    one x one search thread

mid september update: laptop issue resolved and in my possession! going to be with friends for the next couple weeks so i'll probably still be slow for the rest of the month, but i'll be back to speed after that!

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Belvanaj stared at the images on the wall at the end of this next passage just as much. He said then, "No, they are not in my notes any more than they are in your own notes. I am sure these were never mentioned. This arrow pointing out from this passage that same direction, and this clawed hand right behind, is a message left, for some others, though those of us of our generation were not anticipated. We should still try to figure this out. I am sure we never had instruction about any clawed hand, or any people with clawed hands. It is not like any are known. It makes me think of the old tales that have been told to children as warning of bogeys, especially like those lizardmen in those stories. But what this represents is a real mystery. Like people or beings with a clawed hand were directed which way was out. Or, others were shown with this the way out, away from the people or beings with a clawed hand."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456