Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Through the Barrier to Time Travel

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Default Ideas for Through the Barrier to Time Travel

I have had ideas which I would really like trying for roleplaying with others. It involves a scientist on a research team whose equipment manage to hold stable a spatial temporal anomalous wormhole leading into a different place and time. Though it is from quantum effects it is sizable enough for putting things through, as large as a person. Equipment is sent through it and brought back showing that is the case. The wormhole can be kept continuously in that place but it depends on the money that is the grant for the research as it is expensive. Soon enough the scientists and others on the research team want to have a person go through it and find out plenty of things about that time and place it reaches, to bring back that information.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Reportedly, objects are occasionally found in strange places, like an English sovereign coin that was found embedded in a seam of coal.

So what if in the early days of experimentation, they were able to send things back, but the items could not be recovered - and some just seem to disappear, possibly going too far back or some other plane of existence?

Eventually they settled on a tethered probe that could be drawn back, and later a transport cage that allows people to travel back in time and then allow them to return? Of course, being tethered, they have no control over where it arrives or changing destinations.

Of course, time travel is something of national importance - we don't want other nations conspiring against us to change our pass, so once this guy can demonstrate that it works, it immediately gets classified under national security.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Reportedly, objects are occasionally found in strange places, like an English sovereign coin that was found embedded in a seam of coal.

So what if in the early days of experimentation, they were able to send things back, but the items could not be recovered - and some just seem to disappear, possibly going too far back or some other plane of existence?

Eventually they settled on a tethered probe that could be drawn back, and later a transport cage that allows people to travel back in time and then allow them to return? Of course, being tethered, they have no control over where it arrives or changing destinations.

Of course, time travel is something of national importance - we don't want other nations conspiring against us to change our pass, so once this guy can demonstrate that it works, it immediately gets classified under national security.
    This all makes sense. Some instruments were not recovered. Tethering instruments put through afterwards worked and brought back information of sorts. Still it was not known what time or place was at the other end which this spatial temporal wormhole led to.

The first person is finally sent through with also being tethered, this one comes back with a lot more description than was derived from instruments. It is still not enough for knowing when and where that is. So finally a person is sent through untethered, but with an instrument tethered which will serve as a beacon. This person wears simple garb that will work for keeping warm in that environment, that might be more acceptable to any there as observers, going along with thin stakes with flags that can be placed in the ground at intervals while that one walks some distance from the end of the wormhole there to better investigate this area in the time it is there.

There would also be such developments after this.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Oooooo I'd love to join this!!!!!

What is an Angel, without her Wings?

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

It's possible that some (not all) of the UFO sightings throughout history have been time travelling drones. Some may have crashed after losing connection.

To protect humans traveling back in time from various diseases, they may have needed to wear protective suits - hazmat or even space suits. There would need to be collection of biological samples to develop vaccines to inoculate future travelers.
    Last edited by Enigma; 01-12-2022 at 03:18 PM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Hey, @HaelKatrin; I am glad this interests you and you let me know. I will try to get the thread for this started soon, and that you will be available for this then, when I make that known. I take input for this seriously, to consider what fits with this. I hope for more than a one on one roleplay thread, and want to see any others still express the interest to start with this.

@Enigma; UFOs might have any of many explanations, we could say such time travel might be a possibility. Still, I would have this as fantasy which is only exploring possibilities however slight. These should open us up to further possibilities that turn out to be true.

I hesitate to have any character going through this access where such a one is in a full body suit like a space suit where others could be there of that time to see that. I think more weight would be on making that one seem more passable. If any might be at risk it might be others of another time without immunity to what those of the research team are immune to. Maybe we can think of adequate safeguards that are not that extreme to characters' appearances. Biological samples would certainly be desirable to acquire.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

@GodlyD&D; UFOs are merely things people see in the air they can't immediately recognize. Some of them still defy recognition.

Building suits takes time and money. In a pinch, especially if it's just a preliminary probe, you might wind up dressing someone up in gear you got at the Army/Navy store. Then a search of the history of that area might unearth stories of hobgoblins who were sighted in the woods - not a man wearing a gas mask and a ghillie suit.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I'd love to join, in whatever form it takes. I usually do 1x1. But I am flexible and can fit in anywhere. I will mention, I am disabled. So what this means practically, is that some days I'll be able to post rapid fire for hours at a time. And other times I'll be in a flare, and unable to post for that day or two. But I will always communicate how I'm doing, or if I can't be there that day. I hope this is ok. Yesterday was pretty bad over here, so I didn't get a chance to really think about or flesh out a character. I am a bit rusty on rp, since it's been a couple years since I've done any. But I'm a quick study, and look forward to this.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaelKatrin View Post
    I'd love to join, in whatever form it takes. I usually do 1x1. But I am flexible and can fit in anywhere. I will mention, I am disabled. So what this means practically, is that some days I'll be able to post rapid fire for hours at a time. And other times I'll be in a flare, and unable to post for that day or two. But I will always communicate how I'm doing, or if I can't be there that day. I hope this is ok. Yesterday was pretty bad over here, so I didn't get a chance to really think about or flesh out a character. I am a bit rusty on rp, since it's been a couple years since I've done any. But I'm a quick study, and look forward to this.
    @HaelKatrin; thanks for explaining your issues and I will be understanding for how you manage to participate. I will hope for your wellbeing. And I will accommodate time to get into it with being rusty, I was also rusty with roleplaying when I came to this but was really into writing so there was not too much to adjust to. I am glad to have your interest and will really try to have something for an OOC thread up for it when I can, and may see some other interest in this. I don't know if Enigma is just being helpful with suggestions or is interested in taking part in this roleplaying too. But if there is interest from others, who I want to bring into this, I don't expect more than maybe a couple of others. It would not be a large group involved in it, but possibly it would wind up still one on one. But for it being open to more the OOC thread should not go to the Private Roleplaying forum. It would be best placed in the Fantasy forum as I lean strongly in that direction, more than the other forms for writing for the roleplaying. We would then need to know if this should be in the mature subforum in there, or not.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

You could also put it in persistent world building, if you get enough interest. I do know for the most part, group rps end up a mix of 1x1 and group, just based on the needs of the story.

I'm on some new meds. Slept all day yesterday and today, but was awake all night. Lol. So, I'm a bit here and there kind of thing until I get used to the meds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast