Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: [Mature] Westward To The Heart [Kach x DuchessLivilla]

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern, SciFi, Combat, Cooperative, One on One
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Very curious. Mrs Lennox seemed quite fustered by Mrs Wells. An interesting development. Mrs Lennox herself did not seem an admirer, so perhaps the woman was a rival, but in what? Maybe influence in the town? Mrs Wells did carry herself with Authority.
    She would need to do some digging into that. She would not ask Arthur though if she had any other option.

Her musing was interrupted by the joyful and plaintiff noises of children. Having only tutored and been tutored, she had little experience with commoner's children. They were messy and unkempt, smeared with dust or dirt from playing outside but she smiled warmly at them anyway.

She would have preferred if the had lined up rather than left in a messy group, shoving to be in the middle of the group; close enough to see the new teacher, but safe behind another.

Turning to Mrs Lennox, she agreed. "Yes, five years seems acceptable. Though if they are mature enough to receive instruction I see no need to turn them away."
    Truth be told, she had only taught up to three older children at a time. She's didn't let her uncertainty show.
    "That won't due at all." She whispered back, her face becoming formal. Her mother had always impressed upon her the importance of punctuality and education.
    "Hello Children, I am Mrs Belle, your new teacher." She said formally and loud enough the children quieted before continuing more softly.
    "I am looking forward to teaching you all. You are to tell your parents that your lessons start in two days time, and I expect you all to be there, and in your seats at half past eight. Tarty pupils will be given a warning for there first offense, and a rap on the knuckles there after for each consecutive day late.
    Absent students without suitable cause will be switched. This is a small town and there are few places for you to hide." She eyed the students, each in turn.
    "Your education is important, and timleyness is essential for any work you may grow up to do. The late farmer starves. The late merchant cannot sell his wears, and the late woman never weds." She paused to let it sink in. Her mother had often reminded her of these points.
    "Are there any questions?"
    The final battle,
    Pain, suffering; overcome,
    by the united.

Historical 1x1, Sci-fi, Horror, AU
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The older children gave Miss Belle a once over -the look learned from their mother's who had to assess whether this client was going to be worth it...or hit them- as she spoke. Several of them had the distinct look in their faces that they viewed the idea of being at school every day was a little too much to expect! There were far better things to be upto!

From his space, leaning against the wall, Arthur gave a chuckle and adjusted his hat. Miss Belle had more chance of finding a diamond in her porridge than of the children being on time! Still, he held his tongue; she'd soon learn. This wasn't her posh city, with uniformed young'uns skipping to school each morning. Half the kids had jobs themselves most days.

He did glance at Mrs Lennox though and wondered if she'd see sense.

Luckily for the children's hands and behinds, she did cough and drew Miss Belle to one side. "Now dear, I know you wish to have authority, and granted it is needed when dealing with them but perhaps the leven of a little sweetness is needed? Especially here, they have to keep an eye on younger siblings and so on. And the framers' children have even more tasks and sometimes will not be able to attend. There are a few who go with their father's to the mines some days as well. I should have said but I assumed you would know such. No harm done."

She smiled gently. "Just be grateful when they arrive is all I can suggest and take each day as it comes. This is not the city."
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A thin frown creased Anna's lips. This was quite obviously not the city, and how would they expect to become one with children running about shoeless and playing in the mud! She could understand that some less well off families would need their children's help at times, but children working in a mine!

"Surely you don't intend to commit children to a life of ignorant destitution Mrs Lennox? How are they to become upstanding members of society if they cannot read, write or count? Surely even a small sacrifices now can pay great dividends in a few years when the children are grown." She spoke articulately and softly with conviction.
    "I am certainly willing to concede that some older children need not come every day provided they check in regularily and receive direction for study; but I would vehemently oppose a pupil of mine setting foot in a mine shaft at any time."

She turned back to address the children, he face once again smooth.
    "I will be speaking with all of your parents, any pupils deemed needed at home, maybe permitted an alternate schedule. As well, the first student seated in time for class every day will receive one sweet."
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mrs Lennox smiled gently and just patted her hand. She could do little else; such was the world they lived in and it would not change any time soon. "My dear," she did add though, "Those who succeed normally leave little places like this, they do not stay, unless they take to ranching or open a store. As for children in the mine, if they do not work, their family goes without a much needed wage. Any family, with other mouths to feed, is going to chose working over, as they see it, pointless time wasted in a class."

The children listened and, like a match to tinder, perked right up when there was mention of sweets!

By the wall, Arthur chuckled audibly at that and took a drag on his cigarette. One of the boys, aged about twelve or so, came over and said, "Ere' can I have one, mister?"

Arthur looked at him and rolled his eyes but reached into his pocket for the pack, "Alright, alright, just the one, mind," he handed it over and let the lad light it from his own before saying, with a wink, "Just don't let Miss Belle catch yer doin' it at school. Or else it'll be the switch!"

Given this was done just feet from said Miss and Mrs Lennox too, they could not fail to notice. Mrs Lennox did not looked shocked, nor even disapproving of such things and merely shook her head fondly. It was clear she had a great affection for Mr Ross, for all his roughness.
    "Ye mustn't be afraid to ask for help. Pride is a good thing, my girl, but it will kill you in time." - Granny Weatherwax

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mrs. Lennox's words broke her heart. She was not certain which was a greater tragedy; the children forced to work to keep their family fed and clothed, or the fact that everyone in this tiny town seemed to take it in stride.

Anna's frown softened as her brow furrowed with concern. What other things would be different here?

Noticing the boy approach Arthur, her eyes hardened when he produced a cigarette. Anna didn't care for the smell, it stung her eyes and nose and lingered about much too long; Mercifully they were outside.
    She really had no idea what endured Arthur to Mrs Lennox. The man was rough as a brick.

"School will resume Monday, I will expect to see you there." Anna addressed the students before turning to Mrs Lennox.
    "I suppose we should move on to the next group?"
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mrs Lennox nodded and reached into her bag to take out a rather large paper bag; she handed it to the eldest girl with a smile, "There you go, child. Share them out, mind you."

This went down very well, and certainly endeared the children to this idea of school! If sweets were involved...well, it might not be so bad!

Arthur waited as they walked passed him before, with a wink, tossing the packet of cigarettes -card included- to the lad. "Don't smoke 'em all at once," he quipped then followed on, finishing his quickly and dropping it before they reached the street again, down a little side-alley.

"Now...Mr Ross," Mrs Lennox turned to him. "Should we do the farms outwith first? I'd rather not be out as the sun starts to set."

"Course, Mrs Lennox, I'd not have that for you ladies either," Arthur replied. "Best we go to the Henderson's first then, they're farther out," he glanced at Anna and said, "Just a mile or so, Miss Belle, ain't no cause for alarm." The way he said it was meant well, but it could easily be taken as teasing; as a jibe at the city girl having to 'rough it' and so on.

Arthur strolled ahead to the waiting wagon and stood, ready to help the ladies into it.

Mrs Lennox, bustling jovial matron that she was, leant heavily on his hand as she climbed up then settled herself, adjusting her hat and beaming.

"Miss Belle," Arthur held out his hand to her. "Watch yer' step, miss," he added, again, kindly meant but still. He had not said the same to Mrs Lennox, who could be thought much more likely to trip or fall.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Anna observed with a light heart as the excited children murmured excitedly at the small sweets and gathered around the young girl who handed them out with the authority of noble. It seemed a life time ago when she would have been bustling with other children, jostling for position as the teacher handed out sweets.

Walking along side Mrs Lennox, the pair floated toward the wagon. Anna let out a sniff of derision at Arthur's remark.
    "Mrs Lennox seems to think you competent enough, I trust a Ladies judgement. Considering how difficult good help is to find in the city, you must have to make due with what you can get out here Mrs Lennox. It must be a formidable challenge."

Anna watched carefully as the stout woman smoothly climbed the wagon, brow furrowed in consideration. Approaching after Mrs Lennox had gotten settled, fire raged behind her eyes as she looked to Arthur and took his rough hand in hers. "Thank you for your concern." She replied pointedly before awkwardly climbing into the seat of the wagon. Now with quite rumpled skirts, Arthur nearly had to push her up into the seat, she sat beside the Matron.
    "How many stops do you anticipate Mrs Lennox?" She asked, still fussing over her skirts, expecting a broken neck from a fall would end her adventure before the day was done.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mrs Lennox, entirely at ease in the wagon, which was surprising given her apparently snobbish nature, smiled. "Ah, three or four I think, if memory serves. Not all the farms and ranches have children of schooling age, and one or two of them have children but have no wish to send them to school."

She shook her head and looked over at Anna, "We do have, Miss Belle, a few men of means outwith the township that, I am afraid to say, have very old fashioned views. There's one, Mr Bray, who...well, I don't like to talk ill of folks but he is about the meanest man ever to walk God's green earth. Don't you agree, Mr Ross?"

Arthur chuckled as he took his seat, flicking the reins to set them moving. "Sure is, ma'am."

"He has 3 daughters, beautiful girls, and so sweet it near breaks your heart," Mrs Lennox carried on, sighing. "The eldest is about twelve now, I think, and the youngest not above eight or so. He holds that women are not to learn anything but what their menfolk tell them." She snorted. "Poor things. He won't let them attend school, and the only time they come to town is for church, where they never say a word. I don't think anyone has heard them speak beyond 'amen'. It's shameful. It really is. I dread to think what goes on in that house."

"Always look like they've the weight of the world on their shoulders, that's for sure," Arthur quipped, shaking his head. He knew of the man too, and none of it was pleasant.

"Indeed. So we shall not be calling on Mr Bray. I have no desire to have a shotgun waved at me!" Mrs Lennox took out her fan and started up with it. She patted Anna's hand gently and smiled, "Never mind it, Miss Belle. There are wrongun's everywhere! Most folks here are good and decent people, hard workers who do right by God and their families. But sin comes to all places, sadly."

The wagon left the town behind, trundling back down the dirt road with the wide expanse of the flat land either side, hardly a landmark to be seen bar distant farm-houses and the occasional water tower or windmill. It was desolate and yet strangely beautiful in a raw way.

Mrs Lennox smiled again. "Ah, 'tis fine country here, that's for sure. Open and honest. God's land indeed."

Arthur chuckled and flicked the reins again before he glanced at Anna. "How do you find it, Miss Belle? I reckon it's mighty different than the big city."

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Anna was beginning to loath wagon travel. With any luck, after today she would not have to leave the town frequently.

Word of Mr Bray troubled Anna a great deal. Not that long ago she had nearly been in the same situation; menfolk could be truly despicable creatures. She would find a way to help those girls, she would have to be careful, very careful, but she would.
    Anna nodded thoughtfully as Mrs Lennox spoke, pursing her lips, unable to smile at the grim topic.
    "Indeed it does Mrs Lennox, indeed it does..."

Looking around at the dusty ground covered in small dry scrub brush, and rocky outcroppings, the land seemed a wasteland. Turning back to catch a glance at the disappearing island of civilization Anna remarked. "It is very, empty... do any animals live around here? I heard there were buffalo and all sorts of giant animals, the like of Africa, on the plains of the interior."
    She glanced over at Arthur, her distain finally overtaken by her curiosity.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345