Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D&D Discussions

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Default D&D Discussions

I’ve seen D&D come up a few times recently on both the forum and the RPA Discord and I thought we might as well have a thread for it. So @Omac, @Arcus, @Kiro Akira, @InfraredHero, @Enigma, @Namingtoohard this one’s for you (and of course anyone else with an interest!)

Post here to relate stories from your games, talk about characters you’re particularly fond of, discuss rules and builds, post tips for online platforms such as Roll20, and possibly even organise games for members.

Discussions of D&D games and shows like Critical Role might get their own separate thread, we’ll see how it goes.

Please use spoiler tags where appropriate, e.g. if discussing plot details of official adventure modules that other members might want to play in future!
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 02-20-2022 at 02:14 PM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

RPAs Frilly Ninja
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Ooohhhh, so exited for this

Both Avatar and Signature was drawn by Issy

Give into Decay...
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    RPAFanfiction
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

How is Critical Role? I've seen it mentioned before. Is it worth watching?

If anyone ever wants to start up an RPA D&D group let me know! I'm still much of a newbie. I only played a few sessions, but I really enjoyed it.

The seals have been broken...
    The Purgament has begun...
    The Piper's out of the basement...
    The Dead have started to boogie...
    Decay is Coming

Spoiler: The winner is... 

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

I got introduced to Myth-weavers.com for hosting D&D character sheet.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

RPAs Frilly Ninja
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I'm used to Roll20 and D&Dbeyond for games personally, both have their benefits and drawbacks

The Invisible One
    Superhero; Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

I'll share a little story that happened in a game I was playing in.

So I was playing a Tiefling Bard in the jungles of Chult. While we were searching for our objective, we came across a group of tiny little creatures sacrificing another creature to some god of theirs. Don't really know exactly what they were doing because we couldn't understand their language. That is, until I used one of my spell slots to cast Tongues. I started talking to these little creatures in an attempt to convince them I was a god. I also used Thaumaturgy and Dancing Lights to further push the idea that I was some kind of god. I spoke a few random words in Infernal to imply I was speaking a language of gods then I lead the party away from the creatures.

The creatures never made another appearance in the campaign, and doing all that stuff didn't help us on our quest, in fact, if anything, it hindered it since I had to use a 3rd level spell slot to cast Tongues, but it was one of the most fun instances of RPing I've had in D&D because it didn't have to be this super serious moment in the game. It was just some plain old good fun. The party also enjoyed the scene.

RPAs Frilly Ninja
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

oh my favorite moment in a game play is when my Teifling pirate character. Got a pet psuedodragon, because the lizardfolk decided tehy didn't want him. So I fed him some salted meats, I snatched from this ship and then he decided to come with me.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Omac View Post
    How is Critical Role? I've seen it mentioned before. Is it worth watching?
    I've never watched it myself, but I hear a lot of praise for it online. It always seemed like an absurd amount of content to me, personally. Multiple campaigns, each made up of multiple 4+ hour episodes? There's no way I'd ever be able to keep up.

I've only played with one distinct group before, and we always used DnDBeyond, so I can't really speak as to how it compares to the others. Character creation feels very streamlined there, but I don't like not having access to all the subclasses and feats because I haven't dropped money on the online content books.

I've always found the roleplay encounters to be more satisfying than raw combat, honestly. Especially when players manage to come up with creative lines of thinking like those. I love my last group to death, but I was the only dedicated RPer among them. The rest of them were borderline murder hobos. Nothing wrong with that, of course - everyone's entitled to play their own way. It's just not my personal preference.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Namingtoohard View Post
    I've only played with one distinct group before, and we always used DnDBeyond, so I can't really speak as to how it compares to the others. Character creation feels very streamlined there, but I don't like not having access to all the subclasses and feats because I haven't dropped money on the online content books.
    D&D Beyond is good for creating characters quickly, and it makes for a good repository of test and backup characters. It also has a dice roller that will automatically work out modifiers for you, which is good for playing in person but less so when playing virtually since you have to flip between tabs / apps to see your sheet and you also can’t see each other’s rolls. And, as you say, hiding half of its content behind a paywall is a negative. They have to run a business, granted, but it’s an instant red card from the casual player.

Roll20 has character sheets that will update automatically when you level up or drag-and-drop equipment and spells, which is cool, and it also links directly to the virtual tabletop (clicking on an ability or attack will automatically roll the relevant dice and show the result to everyone). The charactermancer feature that’s supposed to help you build a sheet quickly is a bit clunky, and I usually prefer to input manually instead. It is also missing a few of the more niche spells and features in the searchable drag-and-drop index, so you have to type these in yourself.

I’ve only used Mythweavers once, so I might not have the full experience, but to me it appeared to be just a fillable form that did some basic calculations for you, and looks to be more intended for printing off for tabletop use than for use as an online tool.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Archmage of RPA
    Depends on the day
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

-peaks in-

Hm o.o I haven't been on in that long? Goodness. xD

I currently run a game of DnD on Roll20 using DnDbeyond for character sheets and chat through discord o.o so yeah.

I'm up for DnD chat anytime.
    Spoiler: Quotes? 

Spoiler: Kiros current favorite quote 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast