Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: (M-IC) Quest for the Restoration

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Arapegol had to remember what he had learned of these, many years ago, without giving them further thought since. These were rare creatures. One of each has in its head is a large sparkling gem, which is inherently part of the animal. One will come near to a small group of people, and can use the capacity of telepathy the creature might have to communicate to them. Obtaining the gem would have it turn to worthless dust if the creature dies. To further complicate matters, they can will themselves to die and have no fear or concept of death. It would take careful coaxing by a personable wizard to get one to give up its gem willingly. These creatures were not hostile, but while they were not malevolent they were not really benevolent either.

Arapegol considered whether to come nearer and let the gem armadillo know of his presence. He might leave some distance from the group to do so.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Finally Arapegol decided to come out from under that low canopy of the small tree, where he and the others were staying this night, and sit out in the grassy area a few steps away, where that creature might take notice of him, while passing by. He had just sat down, and the gem armadillo now was coming near its closest approach, without going to that tree, when that animal looked up and clearly saw him, and looked at him for awhile.

Arapegol then heard the voice which must have been telepathic, "What in the world? How do you just happen to be sitting right there?"

He answered, "I am on a journey, for retrieving an amulet, that I must reach that further city, and surely beyond it, for helping those I came from with a needed restoration. For us, gems are very important. I came here to stop and rest for the coming night. I saw no better place for that along the way than right here. But I found there is a structure further on, that way, that has had use. Do you know anything about that? And what do you do here?"

"I have a burrow further on that way. I return from foraging. I do know about that structure. It is used by a bipedal being, sort of like you, yet larger, with more hair. That one comes and spends several nights there when the moon grows fuller, I expect that one will be coming here tomorrow."

Arapegol said, "Well I can be gone tomorrow. Thank you for telling me that, it was very helpful of you. And you know, you are a beautiful creature. And you have that nice gem showing from your head. Such a thing would be marvelous to people such as those of my kind, to whom gems can be really helpful."

"Yes. Too bad for you there are not these shiny things growing from you."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Arapegol considered, and then he expressed agreement. "Yes, we, I and my people, are at a disadvantage. The nice gem probably doesn't do so much for you, it would help any of us out to have a such a gem to bear."

"You don't say. Well, that sounds sad. But I will go on, for I foraged enough and want to get back to where I take shelter."

Arapegol still persisted. "What if you had a way to shed the gem which doesn't do much or anything for you, and leave it with me? It would be very helpful to me and those I care for. Don't you think?"

"Wow. Who would think of this being done? I will give it some thought, this night. If I come to think it is worthwhile, I will come back when the daytime comes, to leave it for you, if I decide for doing that."

"I hope you are so helpful. Come early when daytime comes, right when it starts. I will need to go after that. If you come, to do this, I will leave treats for you."

The gem armadillo still went on. "I am thinking about it."
    Last edited by GodlyD&D; 10-06-2022 at 01:09 AM.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Arapegol wondered if the gem armadillo really would be back early when day would break, before he went on with the others. He didn't even want the gem armadillo to know the others were there with him. The gem armadillo being alert to others with him could interfere too much with his benevolent influence with the gem armadillo.

He went back to his position under that small tree with enough cover for them, and he then went to where the one with his original body, the mind of Klara, to awake to watch next. When Klara was up and in position to watch, he went to his position to sleep. He set himself to awaken at the start of daybreak, he was pretty good at timing when he would wake up, like that. And so he then had a short dream, in which he was running to catch an urban camel that ran ahead, while a great wolf was running up behind him.

Arapegol awoke as Lucion's mind in Trysina's body was watching still, and the eastern sky was lightening well before the sun would rise. He got up, and he said to Lucion that he would not be able to sleep further. He then went out from under the small tree a little way that he was separate from them, near the place he went to earlier during the night, and he watched for that creature to come back this way.Arapegol wondered if the gem armadillo really would be back early when day would break, before he went on with the others. He didn't even want the gem armadillo to know the others were there with him. The gem armadillo being alert to others with him could interfere too much with his benevolent influence with the gem armadillo.

He went back to his position under that small tree with enough cover for them, and he then went to where the one with his original body, the mind of Klara, to awake to watch next. When Klara was up and in position to watch, he went to his position to sleep. He set himself to awaken at the start of daybreak, he was pretty good at timing when he would wake up, like that. And so he then had a short dream, in which he was running to catch an urban camel that ran ahead, while a great wolf was running up behind him.

Arapegol awoke as Lucion's mind in Trysina's body was watching still, and the eastern sky was lightening well before the sun would rise. He got up, and he said to Lucion that he would not be able to sleep further. He then went out from under the small tree a little way that he was separate from them, near the place he went to earlier during the night, and he watched for that creature to come back this way.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Arapegol soon heard the sounds of others getting up as they awoke. He thought, this would not be good. The gem armadillo was not in sight. If that creature came with being persuaded to let him have the gem that grew from the head of this armadillo, the rapport he had managed could be ruined if others came out from where they were hidden under the low canopy of that small tree to be seen with him.

He heard a call, "Arapegol, where are you?" It was Iperanton.

Arapegol said back, "I am just taking care of something out here. I will be with you in just a little bit."

Finally he saw a movement in the distance. He watched carefully, and determined at last the gem armadillo was there, approaching, through grass almost as high. Arapegol got up and quietly moved rather closer, where it was coming.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Arapegol waited a while still, and the gem armadillo came into view clearly pushing through the grass. The gem armadillo saw Arapegol then, and stopped, and said, "It is you!"

Arapegol said, "Yes, I chose to wait a bit before going on, hoping you would come to be helpful to me."

"Well, I gave it some thought. How would it really be helpful to you? My kind has these gems grow like this from our heads. You say it would not be of such use to us, but why would it not be if it is natural for us to have these grow from us?"

"I don't know how it would serve you, I can't answer that. It seems you are managing well without it being in use. I don't know how to tell you but among us a gem is of real value. And I would really have need for what is of value to still go on for what I need to do, among them."

"So, you have treats you were going to offer me?"

"Yes, there are treats I would give you from this bag on me, if you leave your gem for me. I would be so grateful to you."

"Very well. Let me see your treats you will give me. Put them out for me."

Arapegol reached in the bag. There were a few carrots, some small fruits, and a couple of small breads with spread put in where it was cut. He brought out the carrots and the fruit that was there, and put them on the ground.

The gem armadillo came closer. Arapegol said, "So, you can let the gem out from you, now?"

"Sure," said the gem armadillo, but suddenly added, "But who is that?"

"There you are. What is happening?" It was the voice of the elfin witch whose body had Jaydeen's mind.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

"Jaydeen, this is a gem armadillo, who is most at ease with just being with me, it would be well to not disturb us just right now. I will see you in a little while."

That elfin one with Jaydeen's mind looked a bit confused, and then backed away again.

Alone with each other again a couple of moments later, the gem armadillo said, stiffly, "You said nothing about coming here with someone else."

Arapegol answered, "It did not seem relevant, and I still don't think it is. I am treating you, as I said I would, and still I am in need and really could use help, and you know you can help."

"But now I see you are deceptive. You could have been truthful but you are not, I don't know if anything from you is truthful. I did not know your kind is like that, I and those creatures like me can only say what is really the case."

Arapegol remained calm, and just said, "I am the same way. I forget some things, which I neglect to say, but what things I say are the truth. We spent what we had, of value, on the way to get this far, for something needed more. But it won't get us back, without us having something more of value that we need. Still, I brought treats for you, just as I said I would."

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The creature said, "Let me try this out." He came and sniffed at the carrots and the fruit, plums and like stonefruits mostly, and then nibbled at those for awhile.

Arapegol soon said, "You were going to leave the gem with me, right?"

The gem armadillo munched some more on one fruit, until it was gone. Once it was all swallowed, he looked at Arapegol, and then said, "Give me some moments." He moved away a little.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Arapegol watched with concern, not knowing if the gem armadillo was going to leave or what he would do. The creature bowed his head for a while, and shook it a bit a few times. Then the gem dropped from its forehead. It had depth to it that was not apparent when attached. The creature turned to Arapegol, and said, "Here it is." Now this creature looked more like one of some other variety of armadillo not so notable, but there was a remaining indentation where the gem came out, with uncovered fresh skin still there. The creature came back to feed some more, and Arapegol carefully and slowly picked up the gem.

Salvation in Fantasy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Arapegol knew he had rapport with many certain animals because of his real care for them, besides the supernatural influence that was developed with having become a wizard with his training. So though he now had the gem from the creature in his hand by persuading the gem armadillo to give it up for him, he let this animal continue to eat from all that he had offered. But as the armadillo came close to finishing the fruit and the remaining carrot, Arapegol was too concerned about those he came with waiting while they needed to go. He thanked the gem armadillo well for giving up the gem for him, assuring the armadillo it would really help him along as he needed, as those of his kind valued such things. He said then that he should go, but he went indebted to him and would thank him more when Arapegol would see this creature again, as he hoped to do. Then he got up and went back to that low tree some way from there, where those he came with were still out of sight hidden under it.

He announced when he came under the canopy of the low tree, "I am sorry for the wait, but I found this creature from which I was able to gain a gem, which has value and will help us go further and return to Quadick again, as our count of coins was too low. Now we really can go on with assurance about being able to finish this quest well. Let us prepare for going on further to reach the city still ahead of us."

The urban camels were very soon ready to mount, when the elfin with Jaydeen's mind said, "There is a creature coming this way around that bend of this valley, it is bipedal and walking erect, but that is no human."

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast