Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [M|IC] Draconic Fire (Naming and Giraffes)

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The sights, smells and sounds of such a lush, verdant forest were a welcome change from the familiar trappings of civilization. Sweet, subtle birdsong and the gentle trickle of running water were a world apart from the hushed whispers of the court, or the general clamour of the capital’s streets. While the castle’s tapestries and mosaics were beautiful in their own right, they could never capture the essence of life the same way that the light did as it slipped between the leaves, and filtered through the water. Efri enjoyed her work as a rider, and took great satisfaction in helping the nation’s people, but at times like this, it wasn’t difficult to appreciate the differences between her world and this one.

From the looks of things, she wasn’t the only one who was enjoying the change of scenery, either. Rider and dragon had landed by a small creek they had spotted from the air. As soon as Efri slipped from the saddle, Rioux wasted no time in dipping her claws into the cool, running water. The brook was too small for the dragon to submerge herself properly, but that didn’t seem to matter to Rioux, judging by the content sigh that slipped from her nostrils. Lady Efrite watched the entire scene from a few steps away, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. After all the effort Rioux had put into flying them here, the noblewoman could understand why she might feel the urge to relax a little.

“You could’ve waited until I got my things down first.” Spoken under different circumstances, Efri’s words might’ve seemed accusatory. Her amusement coloured her tone vibrantly, though, lending her words a playful air.

”And deny you the chance to join me? I wouldn’t dream of it.” The dragon’s response was full of mock outrage, exaggerated enough to get a soft chuckle out of Efri.

”How considerate of you.”

Efri stepped up alongside her dragon then. She briefly considered kicking off her shoes and doing as Rioux suggested, but reluctantly decided against it. The rider had come here to practice, not relax, and it made little sense to bathe just before she worked up a sweat. Maybe she’d let herself indulge a little afterwards, if she pushed herself hard enough to earn it. With that in mind, she turned her attention to the saddlebags that hung from Rioux’s flanks. It only took her a few moments of digging to find what she was looking for; a full quiver of arrows, a pouch containing her replacement bowstrings, and her longbow. Like everything the noblewoman owned, the bow was of excellent make. The piece of smooth, curved Yew was almost as tall as Efri herself, and was treated with both wax and resin. Her fingers curled around the grip instinctively, and it’s familiar weight brought unexpected comfort.

Efri spent a brief moment stringing her bow, before spending another tucking everything away where it was supposed to be. The pouch of bowstrings went into a spare pocket first, before the noblewoman set her quiver in place. Efri opted to hang it from her left hip, instead of slinging it over her back, as was traditional. She chose to carry the bow in her hands, of course. With that done, she cast one more glance at Rioux, only to find that her partner had both of her eyes closed.

”Are you sure you don’t want to come with me?”

Give up a chance to relax so I can watch you play with sticks instead? Thank you, but I’ll pass.

That was fair. Efri wasn’t planning on going far enough to strain their bond anyway, so it didn’t make too much of a difference. She just needed to find a place that suited her needs, where she could practice safely without having to worry about hitting anything important. With that matter settled, Lady Efrite set the creek at her back, and began to walk deeper into the forest.

The noblewoman set a measured pace, and it wasn’t long until she began enjoying her little stroll. The forest might not have been her home, but she was no stranger to it, either. When she wasn’t scanning her surroundings for an appropriate spot to practice, Efri focused on the placement of her feet. She’d seen experienced hunters slip through the forest without making a sound, despite the sheer amount of fallen twigs and fresh foliage that coated the ground. The rider made a game of trying to emulate them, and was met with limited success. Apparently it was more difficult than they made it look. Efri was so focused on it that she failed to notice that someone was following her silently in turn.

The noblewoman knew nothing of the other rider’s presence until Harah released her arrow. Efri practically jumped out of her skin when she felt something rush past her head, and saw an arrow strike a tree in front of her. Thinking that she was under attack, and that her assailant had just missed their first shot, the noblewoman was quick to react accordingly. She turned towards Harah, raising the bow in her right arm, while picking, nocking and drawing an arrow with the left. The move had been drilled into Efri by hours and hours of training, and she did all three in a single, smooth motion. In the space of just a few heartbeats, she was pointing her own bow back at the other rider, ready to fire. It was only then that Efri’s mind caught up with her body, and she realised who she was pointing her weapon at.

”Are you fucking serious?” In the back of her mind, Efri felt Rioux stir in response to her thoughts.

”Is everything alright, Efri? Rioux’s concern was palpable. It sounded like the dragon had been dozing, but Efri knew the dragon was rousing herself quickly.

”Our new acquaintance is here” Efri’s answer was curt, and she immediately felt the dragon relax.. Rioux chuckled softly in response to this news, but said no more. Not yet, anyway.

Lady Efrite kept her bow pointed at Harah for a moment longer, as if she were considering shooting the silly girl anyway. The muscles in her arms bulged as she held the arrow at full draw, ready to be loosed with the slightest twitch of her fingers. Thanks to the panic-borne adrenaline in Efri’s system, she could hear her heartbeat in her ears, and her breath came in short gasps. After several long seconds, the sensation began to fade, and the noblewoman forced herself to take a deep breath. As her composure slowly returned, logic prevailed over impulse, and she reluctantly lowered her longbow. The rider pointed her weapon at the ground, and eased the bowstring into a more comfortable half-draw.

“Was that absolutely necessary?” When Efri finally trusted herself to speak, she tried to project her voice across the distance between them, so that she wouldn’t need to get any closer to the other rider. The noblewoman tried to keep her voice level, but it would be several moments yet before she calmed fully, and a slight tremor crept into her tone unbidden. Efri would just have to hope that the distance between them was enough to stop Harah from noticing it.

“This is quite a big forest. I’m sure you can find a more appropriate way to entertain yourself. Somewhere far away, preferably.” Hardly her best remark, Efri knew, but perhaps she could forgive herself for that, given the circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Harah hadn't really thought about to consequences of what she had just done. Efri wasn't the type of person she should continuously provoke, but for some reason she couldn't resist. Efri brought something out in Harah and she couldn't quite put her finger on it. All of this was going through her mind as she stared down the bow that Efri held pointed right at her chest. Harah didn't notice but she held her breath the entire time the bow was pointed at her. She finally released when Efri realized who had literally shot at arrow right at her head and lowered the bow slightly.

Harah admired her form though. She could recognize the hours of training this girl had gone through. Not a single bone in her body thought that Efrite wasn't an admirable fighter. Honestly, Harah partially wished that she had gone through some type of training like that. Maybe she could some day.

"No, it wasn't necessarily." Harah said with a smirk. "But, I enjoyed it." She began walking closer to Efri, hiding the slight intimidation as she stepped forward. "You're in my neck of the woods. Literally." Harah barked back. "You could use some work on your footing. I could hear you from a mile away." Harah shook her head in disappointment. "Don't get me wrong. Your technique is great, but I can tell you didn't grow up running through the woods. The castle halls can't teach you that." Harah was expecting some fiery response from the girl, maybe even her raising up her bow again and pointing it right at Harah's chest who was close enough now that the shot would easily be lethal. She could tell she got on Efri's nerves. She kind of loved it.

"Maybe you could learn a thing or two from me. As I could of you." Harah was really stepping out of her comfort zone with this one. This is the first time, well, other than when Efri offered Harah to work for the King, that the girls had been semi civil together. It was a small effort at 'friendship' but maybe Efri would take her up on it. They could both get something pretty beneficial out of it.
    * may we meet again *

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

While Efri hated to admit it, there was no denying Harah’s claims about her skill – or lack thereof – when it came to traversing the forest. Even so, the noblewoman had no intentions of taking such criticism lying down. She had just opened her mouth to respond in kind, more harsh words perched upon her lips, when the other rider surprised her with an offer of instruction. Such unexpected kindness was enough to make the noblewoman pause, uncertain. Of all the things she’d been expecting, of all the ways she’d thought this meeting might go, this certainly hadn’t been one of them.

The noblewoman was always looking for ways to better herself, and Harah had already proven her skill, given that she’d successfully surprised Efri just a few moments ago. She wasn’t sure the other rider had the temperament of a successful teacher, but opportunities like this were rare, and Efri didn’t want to let this one slip by. If Harah wanted lessons in turn, then that was only fair. More importantly, it felt like she was being offered an olive branch of sorts. Efri had thought reconciliation impossible, after how poorly their last meeting had gone, but perhaps she’d been wrong. Another reason she’d be a fool to refuse, even if the other rider still irked her.

“As much as I hate to admit it, you’re right. My woodcraft is average at best, and I don’t get many chances to practice. If you’re really willing to teach me, then I’ll be happy to return the favor.” While she spoke, Efri fought to keep her tone calm and neutral, with moderate success. The last thing she wanted was for Harah to realise how badly that surprise had rattled her. Now that they’d reached something of an accord, she relaxed her grip on the bowstring completely, and took a moment to return the arrow to her quiver. Once she was done, the rider stepped forward to meet Harah properly, closing the rest of the distance between them.

“Archery has always been my specialty. If you were willing to risk a shot like that, then you must be fairly confident in your own skill.” This time, her words held a grudging respect. They were accompanied by a gesture towards Harah’s arrow, where it was still embedded in the tree. “Even so, I can probably give you a tip or two. If that doesn’t appeal to you, though, I’m sure we can come up with something else.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"If I'm being honest, my brother is the much better shot. Although, I am good." She couldn't help but smirk after that sentence. She probably shouldn't have been so cocky and shot at arrow at Efrite's head, just missing it. That wasn't really smart but Harah was one to act on impulse a lot of the time and not completely think everything through.

This conversation had been going well, probably to both the girls' surprise. "I'm sure there's a lot you could teach me. Plus, if I end up better than my brother well then that's a double win." Harah laughed. The tension between the girls finally relaxing slightly for what seemed like the first time since they had met.

I could definitely get on board with that, if you are. I can teach you the ways of the woods and you can teach me the precise skill you have perfected over the years." Harah stuck her hand out in an invitation for a handshake, an agreement for the girls to help each other. Then a question hit her. "What are you even doing out here in these woods?" She asked curiously. Those that lived in the castle didn't have much business out here unless there was something to worry about. That's half the reason Harah appreciated this land so much. Often it seemed like she had it all to herself. Well, to her, her brother and mother, and giant fire breathing dragon.

"And where did you hide your dragon?" Harah asked following her previous question. She glanced around quickly, but then huffed at herself with a slight laugh. Like she would have missed the enormous creature had it been within her line of sight.

"I'd be happy to start lessons whenever. It should be interesting." Harah smirked.
    * may we meet again *

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Harah had a brother. That small detail shocked Efri more than it should have. The possibility had never occurred to her, despite the fact that she wasn’t an only child either. Maybe she’d spent a little too much time thinking of the other rider as a potential tool, an asset, a weapon to be wielded for the good of the kingdom, and had forgotten that Harah was also a person. Perhaps that mindset was a big part of the reason their first meeting had gone so poorly. A consequence of the noblewoman’s upbringing and current situation, as Harah likely would’ve claimed, or a genuine oversight on her part? Efri wasn’t sure. A question for another time, perhaps.

When the other rider hinted at the competitive nature of their relationship, Efri laughed alongside her. Not the quiet, controlled giggles that she had been trained to use at court, but a more genuine sort of mirth. A little more reserved than Harah’s own laughter, but not entirely dissimilar. Apparently they had more in common than either of them had realised during their first meeting. Common ground, despite how different their upbringings had been. Just like her companion, Efri could feel the tension melting away. For the first time since their last meeting, the noblewoman found herself wondering if they might not get along after all. In keeping with this revelation, Efri was quick to reach out and shake Harah’s offered hand, making their arrangement official. She withdrew it a few moments later, just in time for Harah to speak.

“I came out here looking for a place to practice. Shooting at the same handful of targets over and over again can get a little dull when you’ve been doing it for years.” Efri’s tone was casual, if not outright friendly. Truth be told, regular targets weren’t any sort of challenge anymore. The noblewoman needed wind and rustling branches to keep herself sharp. The opportunity to shoot at the occasional moving target helped too, since she had cause to fire from dragonback sometimes. She had the good grace to avoid bragging about her skill out loud, though. Then, Harah posed another question, and talk turned that way anyway. “Oh, Rioux? I left her by a small stream, not far from here. You’re welcome to come and meet her after our lessons, if you like. As is your own dragon.”

With all of Harah’s questions answered, Efri turned her attention to the matter at hand. The other rider’s fiery personality and apparent eagerness were bound to make their lessons interesting. The noblewoman cast another glance around, before picking out a tree that suited her needs. “If you’re so keen, then go ahead and show me what you’ve got” Efri said playfully, gesturing towards the tree she’d selected with her free hand. “I know you’ve already demonstrated your skills for me once, but I need to actually watch you fire this time if I’m going to correct your form” she added after a moment, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

Now that she’d said her piece, Efri took a few small steps back, so that Harah had plenty of space. While the other rider prepared herself, the noblewoman lowered her longbow, resting the lower limb against the ground gently. Then she settled down to watch, gaze fixed on Harah. There was no judgement in her eyes this time – just thinly veiled curiosity and a keen sense of awareness as she waited for the other rider to showcase her skills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12