Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OOC Request Thread: Have Powers, Will Travel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default OOC Request Thread: Have Powers, Will Travel

(EDIT: This thread has gotten busy; feel free to PM me.)

Hi! TLDR I'm looking to write more or less light-hearted stories about more or less heroic characters in supernatural settings. D&D-style fantasy, modern fantasy, superheroes, or any other genre you'd like to pitch me. Vanilla is fine, mashups and/or trope inversions are even better . My main characters are cis-female, age 18-30ish, and open to romantic partners of any gender if the possibility of romance is desired. I tend to play characters who solve problems with brute force (in settings in which such behavior is appropriate) rather than rely on their wits, because escapism. I enjoy diplomacy/politics and ethical gray areas if they're written well, but I'm very picky in that regard. Puzzles (intellectual or practical) are not my thing.

Some specific plot germs:

*MC [My Character] is a young woman who has just developed super-powers. YC is the experienced superhero who is assigned to mentor her or chooses to take her under their wing.

*MC is a wandering martial artist (fantasy style, with chi powers and stuff). YC is anyone who needs help.

*MC is a badass monster hunter. YC is a non-evil monster. They form a tentative partnership to [something I haven't had a good idea for yet].

If any of these sound enticing, or if you have some other idea you think I might like, or if you just like the cut of my jib and want to chat, I hope to hear from you .
    Last edited by Aname; 08-17-2022 at 12:03 AM.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern, SciFi, Combat, Cooperative, One on One
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

A bad ass monster hunter discovering a benign (and lazy?) shapshifter seems like it could be interesting. Perhaps they make a deal to use their talents to help with monster hunting for a share in the loot?
    Can they be trusted? Are they as benign as they appear?
    The final battle,
    Pain, suffering; overcome,
    by the united.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That could work, though it would probably be best if MC has a more specific need for YC's help. I'd been thinking of something like the typical urban fantasy mystery setup: she's hunting a murderer and YC is the one member of the community who clearly didn't do it, so they get drafted/volunteered to be her host/guide. (The mystery, rather than being a pure puzzle, might be more about using leverage and/or pure intimidation to get people to admit what they know. Or you could create a more traditional mystery puzzle, if you like that sort of thing .)

But that's just spitballing. A more hunting sort of monster hunt could also work fine. What are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes, sticking them together more firmly would be needed....
    I like the idea of a murderer, but perhaps not a conventional murderer, but some kind of creature that has made it's way into a large city and begins reeking havoc. Perhaps something in the vein of vampire or some kind of were-creature. An intelligent monster.
    Oh! A Rakshasa would be a good pick for a monster or MC. Hunting a shape shifter could be a difficult chase as well, they could be creating some kind of gang or group that works to protect it without knowing it's true identity.
    I'm definitely thinking MC is begrudgingly helping rather than out of kindness.

I am guessing you want more action mystery? Thriller perhaps?

Pitch: YC is hunting a shapeshifter that has been reeking havoc in small villages killing and stealing its way to the capital. In the last village it narrowly eluded you with the help of villagers it convinced that it was real and YC was a vengeful shapeshifter. You make it to the city and warn the officials who pay little mind. A week later people are living in fear, there are gruesome murders in the night and one of the seedy organizations in the city has been taken over by the shapeshifter.

How fantasy do you want to get? Other races, IE dwarves, elves, etc, or just humans and monsters?
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I like it .

I'm up for any kind of setting. If you enjoy politics and diplomacy, having several non-monstrous races all mistrustful of each other would be a perfect playground for a rakshasa. If you'd rather keep things simpler, that's fine too.

I definitely enjoy action. Not so much thrillers; obviously there will be time pressure in the sense that things will get worse until the monster is stopped, but I don't enjoy situations of amplified stress, and I especially don't enjoy my character being in serious fear for her own life.

What are your tastes?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Honestly I am less deep thought and intrigue and more schemes, and blowing stuff up. Just enough complexity to keep the mains guessing and unable to see the big picture. I like to make things up as we go rather than have a complete plan from start to finish, not that I am against it, but I prefer to go with the flow.

Action +1
    Okay, so more of a "chase the bad guy who is slippery and you want to beat to pulp" than a "fight for your life" deal. I am good with that. Need a bit of danger, but nothing some quick thinking and muscles won't solve.

Kinda makes me think of Die Hard 2. YC bad cop MC Good Samaritan really out of his depth but complementary in skills.

Re-read your initial post. :P need to lighten it up a bit.
    A bad comparison perhaps; but are you thinking something more along the lines of an Anime feel? A little bit fluffy, not so much gritty realism, a chance of setbacks but not super serious life or death.
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"anime feel" means too many different things for me to say yea or nay to that . This particular kind of story would probably work best if it's not quite as light in tone as my usual; obviously there will be serious stakes. I just don't want dark for dark's sake, only as much dark as the plot actually requires (as opposed to the "your character isn't interesting unless they're traumatized" school of thought). Does that make sense?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

That makes sense.

What are you thinking for YC traits wise?
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm kind of tempted to riff on The Witcher (note: I've only played the first game) and say that she's a member of an order of hunters who gain supernatural physical abilities from a magical ritual that involves drinking the blood of a dragon (and therefore all take the surname "Dragonsblood"). I imagine her as of moderate height but very muscular build, remarkably unscarred thanks to her supernatural regenerative ability, but of hard and offputting manner: tact does not come naturally to her. She dislikes reading but is at least smart enough to remember the lore she's learned from her training or from consulting experts during her travels.

Is that a good start, or should I go back to the drawing board?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I'm thinking that's a good start! I like it.
    The Witcher definitely gives me an idea of the feeling of the setting.

What are you looking for in MC?
    Are you thinking a complementary personality or a similar one?
    I'm thinking we could go weak brainy one and lean into the trope, or we could go with a beefy boi and have a "no, I'm the bigger badass" dinamic/rivalry.
    Thoughts?
    The final battle,
    by the united.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast