Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Dreaming [closed to ZeeBat, planning]

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Marvel, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ooh, tattooed vs. carved, yes that's better. And yes that would make sense too. Also it's very expensive. But yeah, if it's cheaper the quality is worse, mmhm.

Yeah that can work, definitely. Basically there's a lot of corporate espionage and stuff. You can establish that more if you'd like. I'm thinking Harry Potter-styled pure-blood and old-money kind of a thing, with their own seat on the metaphorical Wizengamot?

So yeah, I like the idea of the styles of power running in bloodlines. So the Durne Family will all have some sort of psychic power. And yes. ^^ As for squibs yes I'd imagine so, but I think by now they've either found a cure or those family members are basically just disowned and exiled.

And ooh, okay, so you're not a major family relative then, yours is basically a Muggle-born? How did the cat thing happen, was that the experiments or the drug unlocking the latent power?

and no it's spoiler go watch The Sandman :P it's a long end-game kind of revelation anyways.

yess, sounds good. been kinda writing a bit of a bio already. my character is going to come from one of the big families.
    How many should there be in power btw? Less than 10? 15?

Fantasy, Sci-fi, anime, books
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yeah that makes sense and some tension with the new money power blocks on that same level? Maybe some foreign powers are trying to move in and establish a foothold?

How big should the scope be? City, country, continent, global? That would determine how many families and powerblocks would make sense.

And aye, mine would basically be a muggleborn. I think the cat features should be from an experiment, perhaps as a prototype for body modification magitech? Could be a corporation that has a flesh-shaping division.

Idea, how about mine has an enhanced body naturally and the electricity is because of drugs? I imagine that two very different power expressions would be either rare or unnatural if they generally run in bloodlines.

:3

Nice!
    The Guide to the Underzee. | Praise be to Scree. | Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you.

Marvel, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That could work, yeah. So the new money is what's holding the stuff our families want?

And hmm, I'm thinking region. So large cities. So maybe a singular Baron Family is in charge of each one then. Ooh, maybe I'm a political prisoner as well? Some other country with their own Powered Families kidnapped me, and now I'm in debt to them because my family was. So maybe we're on the other side of the border from where we both are from? Let's think two countries side by side to make it easy. Maybe there's like 12 Power families and 12 regions in our land, which we can call Oridian ( name subject to be changed) and that's where we are originally from. But for one reason or the other, we both ended up on the other side of the border in the land of Wales (name to be changed) where they have their own leadership and maybe 9 families and provinces but they're larger in mass. So some political overseas stuff happened between the Durne family and some other foreign Wales company, and eventually I was abducted and brought overseas to Wales. They'll want me to use my powers to infiltrate my homeland again and get the device that they want on that side of the border. And who better to do it then a family member of a Durne?

And I like that. Maybe you ended up on the other side of the border because they were rounding up muggle-borns, and you just got trafficked there? Unless you want the other side of the border - Wales - to be where you are originally from.
    And yeah, maybe the drug that unlocked your powers permanently was a one-off thing that happened after a voluntary experiment. Kinda like the super-serum - it hasn't been able to be replicated. Or, well, maybe secretly it could - but the corporation's don't want that technology out otherwise everyone would have permanent powers. You were taken for this reason and then unethically tortured and experimented on. Then we end up paired up for this mission.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Those do sound like great ideas. Would also explain how and why our two characters would be in the same team and roughly the same situation despite their very different social strata.

I like the idea that the serum being a one-off thing, though how about it not being willing? I like the idea of him being from Wales* as that would make more sense. I doubt they would put two kidnapped assets in the same team for a mission.

I do want the serum to have downsides and as for why its a one off? Hmm... maybe it was made with something experimental? Maybe something from the Dreaming?
    The Guide to the Underzee. | Praise be to Scree. | Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you.

Marvel, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay that would be awesome. Yeah I also like the idea of them being from two completely different continents because he'd have absolutely no idea who a Durne is and why it's important she is one.

And yeah that definitely works! Do they have leverage over you, were you tortured into submission, or just what prevents you from escaping when you go off on a mission with me?
    And ooh, I like the idea of it having downsides, and that it was made from something from The Dreaming - maybe it's slowly killing you, but since it was made in The Dreaming, we'll be able to find a cure there that you had no idea existed?

Marvel, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

♦ CIRCE DURNE ♦

Relation to Head of House: Nephew's Daughter aka Great-Niece
    Powers: Telekinesis. Can make someone see things in their heads, or distort their reality. Can tell someone to do anything and they'd do it. Can telepathically move objects the size of a car or smaller, however, she is not trained in battle.
    Appearance: 5'6, Rich chocolate brown eyes that turn lilac when she uses her gift. Full lips. Long wavy chestnut hair that trails down her entire back in a single braid. Thin build with curves. Tends to dress in men's clothing. Particularly likes brown leathers. Think Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Family: The Head of House Durne is Orion Durne (82) - the Eldest child of Horace and Lilac Durne
    His youngest brother Orlando Durne married Romilda Gaunt
    They had a son named Charles Durne
    Charles Durne married Isabella DeSantos and had Circe Durne
    She has one brother who is 28. He lives with his newly married wife, Galadriel, in the City of Order in the Government District, as the live-in family representative for House Durne. His name is Septimius Durne.
    Oridian Durne has 3 sisters and 2 brothers.

The Durne Family rules over the City of Enlightenment - the 5th and Free City of Oridian Twelve.

Circe isn't particularly important in the family or close to Orion, but she is a Durne and a powerful telekinetic at that. Her father Charles is on alright terms with his Uncle Orion, however, they are not particularly close. She is invited to all family dinners and events, however.
    The Durne Family have long been wielders of Psychic Abilities. They control the City of Enlightenment as well as all "Pharmaceuticals" for the country. They've long dabbled in Dark Arts and making others do what they want them to - whether they like it or not. Their abilities at 'persuasion' made them very rich and very powerful.

Personality:

By-the-Book Rule-Loving personality. I think she sticks to the rules so strictly because she's afraid of her powers tempting her away from the Right since they're so addictive and prone to being used for evil things. If she doesn't step a toe out of line then she doesn't have to be tempted. Because if she is she doesn't think she likes who she'll turn out to be. She has a lot of pent-up rage because of this, and she doesn't understand where it all comes from.

She's stubborn and doesn't give up without a fight. Also has a scholarly mind, and wants to know how things work and the mechanics of everything. She will want to be the best. She is also a perfectionist and beats herself up when she doesn't master or get the hang of something quickly. She puts way too much pressure on herself and has a serious case of OCD. She usually does master things pretty quickly though as she's a literal genius. I think down the road she'll get a bit cocky too, so the characters will have that in common.

She'll also have a cool exterior and a lot of walls. She'll pretend she's unafraid - and succeed - but inside she's petrified. She talks big, but when we first meet her it's all that - talk. She tries to project the kind of person she wishes she was to the world, but that's not who she is. It will be even harder to show off this false bravado though if her voice is stolen from her because she'll have no words to defend herself.

Small Traits:

She swears a lot because of how she was raised, and the gender-norms wanted her to be a lady - fuck that.

When Circe Durne was born in 1850 the gender-roles and the progression of feminism looked a lot like the real world in the late eighties early nineties. In the present day it's more 2010's progressive. The Country of Oridian is a very Patriarchal society and only recently was it considered societally okay for a woman to pursue a career outside of being a mother and a wife. Circe is one of the first generation of career-driven women. (As a note, I feel like gender-roles in Asharia are a lot different when it comes to women, and she’ll find a culture shock.)

Bad traits:

Can be prideful.
    Can be self-righteous.
    Can be arrogant to the point of undermining her enemies.
    She is an elitist.
    Has a hero-complex and thinks that anyone who isn't powered needs her help, and they're lucky to get it when she deems them worthy.

CIRCE DURNE - A CHARACTER STUDY LINK

Plot Stuff:

Circe is not only telekinetic, but her day job is actually as a chemist. She works for her family's company - Durne Pharmaceuticals - and helps develop new 'drugs' with a mixture of magic and chemistry. DP (Durne Pharmaceuticals) was working alongside a foreign company and lab in the Border-Land of Asharia* on a new drug that could unlock the potential to (insert thing here) however, there were laws against working with foreign companies and the Durne family would be in trouble with the Main Government if their association was found out. So when the drug was done being created, DP cut all ties with the small under-funded family company in Asharia* and stole the creation as their own, and was first to put it out on market in their country. Afraid of being called out as a copycat or a thief, the small company never put its version to market. Their losses were tremendous, and the person in charge of the project swore revenge.

Enter Circe Durne. The chemist turned political prisoner when she is kidnapped during a trip close to the border. She is close to Orion, and she can be the perfect pawn in their game to get something even better than the drug that was stolen from them. A weapon that could open a doorway to another world.

Family Backstory:

Circe knows her family's power is extremely addictive and corruptive. As such, let's just say there are a lot of assholes in the family, and not everyone is a very good person. Her father is very controlling. In a literal way. He literally controls his wife a lot to be who he wants her to be. So pretty fucked up. He never uses the power on his children though. I feel like maybe they should all have immunity from one another. At least if you're blood-related. The mother married in and was normal. Anyways, the mother is completely conscious and aware of things and mainly strives to just keep him happy so he doesn't do it in the first place. Because of this her mother projected her issues onto Circe and was controlling in her own non-magical way. This is why Circe has perfectionist issues as well as others TBD.

Circe was a witness to domestic violence and messed up family dynamics. Ultimately she wanted to be as different from her family as possible so as soon as she was able to she got emancipated and went off to the City of Wisdom to learn all she could to become a chemist. While she was qualified for the job as a chemist at Durne Pharmaceuticals, the real reason she was mainly offered it was because she's a Durne. She's always been afraid people will think her position is a result of nepotism, so this just sets off her OCPD, even more, to be perfect and prove her worth to everybody. Being as different from her family as possible as well, that involves a very self-regulated pacifist regime. I imagine she's vacationed to the City of Souls several times for spiritual journeys and guidance on how to control her emotions and Buddhism stuff. You know what I think she buys into all that stuff, even the shammy bits. It can get slightly abnormal for example she's superstitious and believes in demons (to be fair, a lot of people do, but it's a select group).

Important Misc. things or notes about character:

Will be tortured by the same Corporation that experimented and molded Kine (the Yukon Corporation). I think she'll probably develop some pretty quick PTSD that has lasting effects from this as well. Nightmares, triggers, etc. Maybe that's also an unspoken thing they can share. I think when she gets free she'll be angry and blame you for her torture because you're so nonchalant about everything and don't seem to mind working for the people who tortured her. Then for some more unsavory feelings, I think maybe she'll feel jealous that he doesn't seem to care about things. That he can use his powers to do wrong things and not feel guilty about it. That he can take what he wants, even if he's leashed. She'll feel jealous because that dark part of her wants to experience that too. Breaking the rules, and giving into her Desire to use her powers for whatever the hell she wants. If it's cool with you, I feel like this experience and journey through The Dreaming will unlock different things in both of them they never knew. Hers isn't good. Hers is a journey into the darker bits of herself. If we write farther than that, which I hope we do, we can do a journey of healing for her later.

Last edited by Chaotic Cam; 09-07-2022 at 10:43 PM.

Marvel, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So this is what I have so far, kinda went on a creative spree. I'll be making edits along as I go. PLEASE let me know if there's any additions I should make, or if you have any other lore or ideas to go with each city, as I'd love your input. <3 I'm also making a map as I write things down.
    --------------------------------

The Oridian Twelve

All LORE has been moved to a google doc.
    Last edited by Chaotic Cam; 09-04-2022 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

On the character sheet:
    -The power seems like two powers telepathy and telekinesis. The emphasis is obviously on telekinesis so that's pretty awesome as I imagine that can change between the branches of the same family.
    -What I get of her place in the family is someone on the edge but still within the favored circle of the head, is that right? So useful but not something worth starting a small war for.
    -So the main focus of the family would be drugs, aye? Likely they would have strong ties with those that provide herbs and reagents. Also, I imagine a healthy black market to acquire test subjects for said drugs. Probable ties and blackmail to a lot of high society.
    -I'd like more explanation on the plot if you can or if there's anything I can help with. ^^
    -The names are fine with and sure you can have free reign on all that stuff. D I'm kinda terrible at names and such anyway. ^^
    -Does she have any rune enhancements? Any friends or ties she could call in?
    -yeah we do need to work out how we're gonna tie things in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

On the cities, I'm honestly kinda awed at how much you developed.

I do notice that the entire system is very much covered with a 'benevolent' veil over the rest of it and very sectioned. It's fascinating. It does give me some ideas of how I will flesh out my side. I'm thinking more free market and heavy industry. Way more open corruption and the megacorps don't even bother to pretend at benevolence. Money and power are kings compared to the lives of the common people which can go pretty cheaply.

Back on the twelve, the way the power balances of the families can interplay will be interesting. It seems there is a national religion and government over the city-states? Sort of many small kingdoms all united under a council.

Marvel, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

- That's fair. Either way, both are Psychic abilities, and that is main core power. So anything really to do with the power of the mind. There could have been a few seers in their line as well for example. The most common are telepathy and telekinesis though. And then some may just have a stronger magic for a certain sub-genre and go with that.
    This makes me curious though what would happen if someone from the Durne Family and the Achlys Family had a child together. That kid would be both very mentally and spiritually powerful, if they get a mix of powers and not just one or the other that is. We should actually discuss how that works.
    - Yeah, basically.
    - Yup, that's their main thing. The other big Corps are the Bio-Runes which the Umber Family controls, and then the Alchemy Industry which the Oridian's control. Then there's the basic necessity corporations that make the world go round, and anything else you want to add or think of.
    However, when it comes to Circe, I wonder if she is in the know of what her drugs are being used for, versus willful ignorance. Still trying to decide what kind of a person she'll be. I kind of want to see your character bio first so I can create a character that will complement yours.
    - And yeah, plot, definitely next on the list! Because after creating all these cities and snippets of lore I kinda really want to explore this world and have adventures, and not have the main focus on The Dreaming. Like 'The Dreaming' could be a Part Two of a book format or something like that. Several individualized stories that are connected. I think first off we need to finish establishing the world, and then I think we should just dive in and write about our characters and how we got to the place we are. I'm thinking we start off the RP meeting each other for the first time and getting to know each other and writing out the backstories and world.
    - And thanks ^^
    - Does Circe have any rune enhancements? Probably. I'll probably make them up along the way. She's a chemist and used to staying up for long nights, so I like the idea of common runes like Energy and stuff like that, but they'd have side-effects like coffee if used improperly. The really expensive runes can help you stay up for up to 5 days though. Small stuff like that. Like I mentioned, she's not a warrior, and definitely didn't expect to end up where she is. ^^ As for friends and stuff - can you explain more?
    - And I think what I mentioned could work maybe? Maybe the Durne Intelligence was off about the Asharia Lab and it had ties to one of the Big Families, something they didn't realize before going into business with them? I'm thinking the small lab was run by a head scientist and a team of maybe fifteen people, so very small. But Durne decided to work with them because of the Head Scientist who technically came up with the idea. Durne was providing financing so they were unaware that the Head Scientist had any wealthy family. When Durne cut ties and stole everything from the small independent lab the Head Scientist - let's call him Aramusha - went independent and decided to kidnap Circe on a whim of revenge, as perhaps he was in the area? I made the Borderlands right by The City of Fortune and that's basically Vacation-Destination which is why she'll be there, but there are also boat docks as well. He sees her use her powers, and that's how he knows she's a Durne. He has henchmen or slaves or whatever that kidnap her and take her back to Asharia. He doesn't exactly have a plan at first, but eventually he decides to contact one of his 'Family' members - he's a distant cousin with a different name through marriage, but still related to one of the Big Ones. The only reason they take the call is because he explains he has a political hostage from one of the Twelve Families of Oridian.
    Now, the people who took you - maybe they have their own beef with the Durne's as well, or maybe it's just the fact that she's a family member of a High Political being who can get herself into places others couldn't. Maybe the portal they're looking for isn't even the property of a Durne, but someone with the power of a Durne/political ties and access could get to more easily then a regular thief. So she's convenient, but not necessary to their plan exactly. If she dies so be it. You are their shiny new toy and you're paired with me as oversight and muscle perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBat View Post
    On the cities, I'm honestly kinda awed at how much you developed.

I do notice that the entire system is very much covered with a 'benevolent' veil over the rest of it and very sectioned. It's fascinating. It does give me some ideas of how I will flesh out my side. I'm thinking more free market and heavy industry. Way more open corruption and the megacorps don't even bother to pretend at benevolence. Money and power are kings compared to the lives of the common people which can go pretty cheaply.

Back on the twelve, the way the power balances of the families can interplay will be interesting. It seems there is a national religion and government over the city-states? Sort of many small kingdoms all united under a council.
    Aw, thank you. <3
    And yes, exactly, that's what I was going for. Also if you have any ideas to build upon them just let me know, I'd love to hear them!
    And ooh, I can't wait to read about it!

Yes I'm interested in the lore behind all of that too. I mentioned that the Oridian Family also hold all True Knowledge, as they have been in power since the very beginning, and I'm sure they've hoarded many secrets over time. I imagine the Time Keepers to be very mysterious and keep to themselves. They're a myth in modern day, really, but we do know of their existence because the Head of House Oridian says they're real (aka they make the history what they want it, because they're the only one's old enough to remember). But I imagine they haven't left their mysterious portal in centuries and the common-folk that live today just have so many stories and folklore surrounding the City of Time and it's never-ending swamp and Door. It basically just sits there, as the Time Keepers do not visit any cities (that we know of) or hold a seat on the Government Board. Everyone just sort of leaves them alone.

As for national religion, yes there is. I can get into that more later when it becomes important. And yes, small Kingdoms under a Council, exactly.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast